34 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

but, then again....

WITH coffee there is ALSO darkness and chaos - but the darkness is espresso and the chaos happens a lot faster

mmmm espresso. And a really good cookie of some kind (or 6). Then dark, interesting chaos. It will do. Meanwhile, in the real world... 😭

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

Peeve: Wonky sleep. For the past couple of weeks my sleep has been so screwed up. Two nights in a row now of getting to sleep after midnight and waking at 4:15 in the morning. AWAKE. Like no reason to lay there and stare at the ceiling awake. I don't nap well. So...

200.gif

coffee-without-coffee.gif

I can relate.  Finally get to sleep around 4am, wake at 8am to get Spawnage up for school and find a bazillion messages on Discord.  A good conversation later with someone who should feel guilty :P and I'm awake and up.  Good thing it was slow cooker dinner night cos I ended up falling asleep on the sofa from 4-5:30pm.

• Like 3

Peeve:  High Temperatures

We're predicted to hit 115 F today in Sacramento. It's expected to be the all-time high temp and electricity usage. There could be rolling blackouts. It's 105 F outside already at noon, 77 F inside the house despite being set to 74 F.

I made a pot of herb tea and a good macaroni & veggie salad to eat cold. No lights on inside, just the air conditioner, 2 house fans, the refrigerator and my laptop. I put 3 small wet towels in the freezer for cooling down later. When it gets to 90 F inside the house, I can take a bath to cool down too.

This record heat upsets me because it foreshadows our environment getting much worse for humanity in the coming decades and my belief that as more people in the world are suffering and dying, our tolerance for other people's suffering will go up too.

In the short term, after today our temperatures in Sacramento will start to go down and are expected to be back to the 90s by the weekend.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

10 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

We're predicted to hit 115 F today in Sacramento. It's expected to be the all-time high temp and electricity usage. There could be rolling blackouts. It's 105 F outside already at noon, 77 F inside the house despite being set to 74 F.

Peeve: We really need a hug reaction button on this site.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

We're predicted to hit 115 F today in Sacramento. It's expected to be the all-time high temp and electricity usage. There could be rolling blackouts. It's 105 F outside already at noon

I can commiserate with this peeve.   It's 104 F in Rohnert Park right now, with an expected high of 108.  Yesterday we hit 111, which is higher than I can remember in the last 50+ years that I've lived in this area.  

Normally our "heat waves" are just a few days here and there where it might get up to 102 F or so.   Because it's not usually unbearably hot, we don't have air conditioning - just a few ceiling fans. 

We did have a power loss for a while yesterday late afternoon.    

• Sad 3

Geez Louise. And here in New England it is unseasonably cool, barely hitting 60 F.  I used to live in the Bay Area and our house did not have a/c because it didn't need it. I would hate to be there now without it. I'd hug you guys, but ewww... heat.

/me turns water hose on you instead... nice cool New England spring water!

• Like 2

Peeved.

Even though I'm not very good a taking pictures, I suddenly decided that I wanted to try this Black Dragon I've heard so much about.  So I googled black dragon and came to a website and clicked the link that I thought was taking me to a downloads page and landed in some review black hole where no matter what link you click to download it takes you to a page full of choices none of which result in a download. 

So I came here and found a post called

that's been idle for since January of last year, so evidently I'm doing something wrong or else nobody else has had any problems getting the darn thing for almost 2 years besides me.  And nobody has replied yet dang it!

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Peeved.

Even though I'm not very good a taking pictures, I suddenly decided that I wanted to try this Black Dragon I've heard so much about.  So I googled black dragon and came to a website and clicked the link that I thought was taking me to a downloads page and landed in some review black hole where no matter what link you click to download it takes you to a page full of choices none of which result in a download. 

that's been idle for since January of last year, so evidently I'm doing something wrong or else nobody else has had any problems getting the darn thing for almost 2 years besides me.  And nobody has replied yet dang it!

https://niranv-sl.blogspot.com/

Follow the links in the right hand column. :)

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I made a pot of herb tea and a good macaroni & veggie salad to eat cold. No lights on inside, just the air conditioner, 2 house fans, the refrigerator and my laptop. I put 3 small wet towels in the freezer for cooling down later. When it gets to 90 F inside the house, I can take a bath to cool down too.

This record heat upsets me because it foreshadows our environment getting much worse for humanity in the coming decades and my belief that as more people in the world are suffering and dying, our tolerance for other people's suffering will go up too.

In the short term, after today our temperatures in Sacramento will start to go down and are expected to be back to the 90s by the weekend.

Winter we'll all be under five feet of snow, these ridiculous temperatures are terrifying that's for sure. We had two days of extremely unusual heat in the UK in July. I stood on my brother's driveway and it honestly felt like being near to the old blast furnaces in our steelworks in the 1970s, and I thought we were going to die. 

The horrible irony too that whenever there is someone suffering from extreme high temperatures, there are the sudden uncontrollable fires, and then elsewhere - like in Pakistan - there is too much water. Being an earthling is scary. 

Sid's right - we need that hug emoji. 

• Like 3

Peeve: Humans.

Everywhere I go on the internet pretty much all I see are people being hateful to others. Are there no more "quiet" corners of the internet left where a person can go and discuss things (civilly) other than SL? Not places like Reddit or Twitter where millions hang out. Just some place active where a few thousand people hang out and talk about what they like discussing.

giphy.gif

• Sad 4

11 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Peeved.

REad first then download link is at the bottom.

https://niranv-sl.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

REad first then download link is at the bottom.

https://niranv-sl.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

I've been to this page before.   In fact, over and over again today I've been there.  And TBH, I didn't read any of those things and went down to the bottom and hit the download link.  It took me to a place that looks like this

image.thumb.png.355d922927b164f9cfeb37d779a1e348.png

and left me there bewildered.  Still no download.  So I went back to the page you referred me to and I'm halfway through Niran's Rants about why she sets up Black Dragon the way it is (which I still haven't seen because I can't figure out how to download it) and still no clues here about how to download.

7 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

I've been to this page before.   In fact, over and over again today I've been there.  And TBH, I didn't read any of those things and went down to the bottom and hit the download link.  It took me to a place that looks like this

image.thumb.png.355d922927b164f9cfeb37d779a1e348.png

and left me there bewildered.  Still no download.  So I went back to the page you referred me to and I'm halfway through Niran's Rants about why she sets up Black Dragon the way it is (which I still haven't seen because I can't figure out how to download it) and still no clues here about how to download.

See where it says Normal Release with an exe file name? That's the install file.

exe means execute as in launch file for installation.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

See where it says Normal Release with an exe file name? That's the install file.

Yes, It finally clicked for me that that was the thing to click.  I had tried clicking it when I first got to the page but for some reason it bombed out the first time.  This time I right clicked and said do it in a new window and it worked.  I was afraid to click those other links because I'm not that good at installing components from scratch and I had high hopes for an .exe file kind of solution.

Edited by kali Wylder
typo

1 minute ago, kali Wylder said:

Yes, It finally clicked for me that that was the thing to click.  I had tried clicking it when I first got to the page but for some reason it bombed out the first time.  This time I right clicked and said do it in a new window and it worked.  I was afraid to click those other links because I'm not that good at installing components from scratch and I had high hopes that for an .exe file kind of solution.

This might sound a little insane, but the truth is there have been a higher than usual number of DDoS attacks in the past week, so it doesn't surprise me. It really sucks when there are 2 opposing factions at war on the internet because they never stop to think that what they are doing is affecting people they aren't even their target(s).

Of course, now that I've managed to download the exe file I have to figure out how to tell Windows defender to shut up and install it.  I seem to recall there was some rumblings about that being a problem for others and hopefully I can find a solution.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

This might sound a little insane, but the truth is there have been a higher than usual number of DDoS attacks in the past week, so it doesn't surprise me. It really sucks when there are 2 opposing factions at war on the internet because they never stop to think that what they are doing is affecting people they aren't even their target(s).

Could be a coincidence but the new school year just began.  Perhaps the kids are comparing notes on what kind of mischief and havoc they can create...

Of course, now that I've managed to download the exe file I have to figure out how to tell Windows defender to shut up and install it.  I seem to recall there was some rumblings about that being a problem for others and hopefully I can find a solution.

You may have to disable it long enough to install and then whitelist the viewer, but I doubt it.  You should be able to tell Defender to allow it as soon as the install starts.

Could be a coincidence but the new school year just began.  Perhaps the kids are comparing notes on what kind of mischief and havoc they can create...

This is a particular rabbit hole I happened to have fallen down a few weeks ago. I've been watching with morbid fascination as one site moves from one host to the next to the next over the past few days. It's starting to get boring though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

You may have to disable it long enough to install and then whitelist the viewer, but I doubt it.  You should be able to tell Defender to allow it as soon as the install starts.

yes, that worked.  I had to scroll to get to the run anyway button because of the way I have my screen resolution. My vision is another peeve, or rather my pish poor vision.

• Thanks 2