8 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Peeve #901: Hearing "Jessie's Girl" on the radio for the 11th time this week.

Peeve #902: Hearing "Jessie's Girl" in world from a DJ for the 100th time.

I think your next is 

#903 Being caught in a time warp to 1981 against your will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I think your next is 

We own a RL bar and that song  is on our no-play list. When my man simulcasted  in a SL club --- if someone asked for it he would say the song file is not on the server.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Peeve and advice please:

My landlady sent a text saying she's coming over today to move of her stuff into our garage. She was just here yesterday, asked if I'd be paying rent today, and I told her no, because I'm waiting for my unemployment check. Seeing her upsets me, so I sometimes go and hang out in the library when I know she's coming over. But I also need to get work done here that I can't do easily when other people are around. I feel like this is a catch-22 situation for me. She doesn't say when she's coming over, so now I'm feeling like my whole day will be ruined by trying to avoid her and trying to keep my emotions under control, instead of getting any actual work done.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Peeve #901: Hearing "Jessie's Girl" on the radio for the 11th time this week.

Peeve #902: Hearing "Jessie's Girl" in world from a DJ for the 100th time.

The question still stands, "Where can I find a woman like that?"

(I hope you heard that sung in your head.)

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Peeve and advice please:

My landlady sent a text saying she's coming over today to move of her stuff into our garage. She was just here yesterday, asked if I'd be paying rent today, and I told her no, because I'm waiting for my unemployment check. Seeing her upsets me, so I sometimes go and hang out in the library when I know she's coming over. But I also need to get work done here that I can't do easily when other people are around. I feel like this is a catch-22 situation for me. She doesn't say when she's coming over, so now I'm feeling like my whole day will be ruined by trying to avoid her and trying to keep my emotions under control, instead of getting any actual work done.

I'd start out with "hey can you tell me the exact time you'll be here?", and hopefully it won't need to progress to "I won't be available unless you tell me exactly when you're coming".

She really shouldn't have access to you or her house any specific time she wants without your agreement just because she's the landlord.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Peeve and advice please:

Not sure where you are, but if you are in the states. I think most have to at the very least give a 24 hour notice by law in most places..

We looked into renting one of our houses out, but decided against it.. but I remember that being one thing I remember when looking into things.. But that will change from area to area I guess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Peeve and advice please:

The fact that she wants to store stuff in your garage and at the same time asked about paying rent is another passive-aggressive example: "I'm going to store stuff in your garage, and I dare you to question me, which I will guarantee by asking you about the rent".  What a challenging landlady you have! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Not sure where you are, but if you are in the states. I think most have to at the very least give a 24 hour notice by law in most places..

We looked into renting one of our houses out, but decided against it.. but I remember that being one thing I remember when looking into things.. But that will change from area to area I guess.

We're in California, so yes, that's the law here too.

The problem comes from this being a Craig's List rental. I moved in about a week after she got this house and moved in herself. Since then she's lived here sometimes and sometimes she's lived someplace else, but this is still her official address, so her mail comes here, and she comes over to get it. She has a least agreed to tell us she's coming over first- usually. She has a very poor understanding of the proper boundaries between landlord and tenant, but she doesn't go nosing around our rooms.

Tenants take this kind of rental because she doesn't do a proper background check or ask for prior references, but then she leaves her stuff here - furnishings filling over half the garage, a wine collection, her mail, her almost empty shampoo containers. We've tossed out the shampoo containers. The other woman housemate and I have taken to drinking her wine when we're upset with her - a passive aggressive move on our own part.

She acts nice, but she doesn't respect our boundaries well and then gets us to do stuff for her that we shouldn't have to do, like moving the kitchen and living room furniture so she can put in new flooring and having to call the exterminator to get rid of roaches when she wouldn't do it.  

p.s.

She was here while I was hiding in my room. I figured this was better than going to the library, because then I have to listen to loud children and crazy people, while not knowing exactly when she's gone. - 12:50 pm SLT.  She's gone now - 1:08 pm, so I don't have to waste time and can take my laundry out of the dryer as soon as it's done.  🙂 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
to add p.s.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

We're in California, so yes, that's the law here too.

The problem comes from this being a Craig's List rental. I moved in about a week after she got this house and moved in herself. Since then she's lived here sometimes and sometimes she's lived someplace else, but this is still her official address, so her mail comes here, and she comes over to get it. She has a least agreed to tell us she's coming over first- usually. She has a very poor understanding of the proper boundaries between landlord and tenant, but she doesn't go nosing around our rooms.

Tenants take this kind of rental because she doesn't do a proper background check or ask for prior references, but then she leaves her stuff here - furnishings filling over half the garage, a wine collection, her mail, her almost empty shampoo containers. We've tossed out the shampoo containers. The other woman housemate and I have taken to drinking her wine when we're upset with her - a passive aggressive move on our own part.

She acts nice, but she doesn't respect our boundaries well and then gets us to do stuff for her that we shouldn't have to do, like moving the kitchen and living room furniture so she can put in new flooring and having to call the exterminator to get rid of roaches when she wouldn't do it.  

p.s.

She was here while I was hiding in my room. I figured this was better than going to the library, because then I have to listen to loud children and crazy people, while not knowing exactly when she's gone. - 12:50 pm SLT.  She's gone now - 1:08 pm, so I don't have to waste time and can take my laundry out of the dryer as soon as it's done.  🙂 

Almost like having a roommate  huh?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

She has a very poor understanding of the proper boundaries between landlord and tenant, but she doesn't go nosing around our rooms.

The misanthropic introvert in me is having a seizure. :) I should probably report your post for being off topic, cuz girrrrrl... she sounds like way more than just a pet peeve.

And I realize that housing can put people between a rock and hard place. It is easy to say "just move" or "tell her off" or whatever, but the reality is, if you are in a precarious position, well that's tough to do. Hiding in your bedroom sounds like the right answer to me.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Peeve and advice please:

Text back and say "OK but I have an important Zoom job interview so will be in my room and might not be able to chat (or help)" Then just get on with your work 🙂 I did that when I was sharing and the landlady said she was coming around to find out why the electricity meter had slowed down again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ETA - oh too late, she's already come and gone!

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Text back and say "OK but I have an important Zoom job interview so will be in my room and might not be able to chat (or help)" Then just get on with your work 🙂 I did that when I was sharing and the landlady said she was coming around to find out why the electricity meter had slowed down again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I bet..I just BET that would challenge the landlady to be as loud as possible, yell, and even bang on her door!

• Sad 2

Being assertive is not easy for introverts like me.  It is possible to do it, it just takes effort and is exhausting.  You need supportive friends to coach you and pat you on the back when you do it. I don't know how I would respond to your landlady, just thinking about it makes me want to throw the covers over my head and hide.  But it sounds like you handled it well.  Good job!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I bet..I just BET that would challenge the landlady to be as loud as possible, yell, and even bang on her door!

Oh, I got the impression Persephone's landlady is just annoying, not a complete psycho xD But who knows? 😮

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

ETA - oh too late, she's already come and gone!

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

5 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Being assertive is not easy for introverts like me.  It is possible to do it, it just takes effort and is exhausting.  You need supportive friends to coach you and pat you on the back when you do it. I don't know how I would respond to your landlady, just thinking about it makes me want to throw the covers over my head and hide.  But it sounds like you handled it well.  Good job!

3 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Oh, I got the impression Persephone's landlady is just annoying, not a complete psycho xD But who knows? 😮

Good advice for next time, Rat Luv, and yes she's just annoying, not a complete psycho.

I've been living here a while with these kinds of intrusions from her, so it's either run away to hide, hide in my room until she's gone, or talk with her and act friendly, depending on the situation and my mood. Today was a hide in my room day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:
4 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

I think your next is 

Wouldn't protest too much.

Ugh, no.  I was only a year out of college and still fairly young & dumb, with so much of life yet to figure out.

• Like 2

Follow-on peeve (from previous peeve and antipeeve):

Tracking down a low-level ground hum that mysteriously appeared in the pedalboard simply from swapping mixers without altering the patch or signal paths at all.

I am on its trail and close.. and when I find it I shall forego the usual feline pleasure of playing with my prey - it has to die. NOW.

ETA: It was probably always there, just not audible or visible on the meter with the old mixer. The new one has much higher quality and more sensitive preamps, also more detailed and informative metering. Doesn't mean it don't annoy me or fully deserve terminating with extreme prejudice though.

Edited by Da5id Weatherwax
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Follow-on peeve (from previous peeve and antipeeve):

Tracking down a low-level ground hum that mysteriously appeared in the pedalboard simply from swapping mixers without altering the patch or signal paths at all.

I am on its trail and close.. and when I find it I shall forego the usual feline pleasure of playing with my prey - it has to die. NOW.

ETA: It was probably always there, just not audible or visible on the meter with the old mixer. The new one has much higher quality and more sensitive preamps, also more detailed and informative metering. Doesn't mean it don't annoy me or fully deserve terminating with extreme prejudice though.

Pet peeve: Not understanding music geek peeves. :) I read something-something-noise-something... Oh! cat killing stuff... something something... prejudice! omg AR

• Haha 3

Just now, Seicher Rae said:

Pet peeve: Not understanding music geek peeves. :) I read something-something-noise-something... Oh! cat killing stuff... something something... prejudice! omg AR

Elucidating the peeve. Mains power is  50-60 Hz alternating current (depending on where you live, different countries use different frequencies but its always in that range). The primary harmonic of that frequency in audio gear is a low G. Obviously you don't want that intruding into the audio you record, send to a stream or feed the house speakers with when playing live. HiFi audio gear and stage/studio sound gear has a LOT of electronics devoted to isolating the hum from mains power from any audio signal path. However if you're connecting multiple pieces of kit together, and they don't have a common ground or somewhere a hot and ground connection are flipped then you get the hum. Sometimes you can kill it by locating the problem piece of gear where its happening and isolating the input and output grounds from each other. That's what the "ground lift" switch on a lot of stage and studio gear is for. (consumer gear isn't allowed to have that switch, using it unwisely can result in the cases of your kit or even the strings on your electric guitar being "hot" if you don't know what you're doing and your equipment develops a particular class of fault)

Mains power is, well, powerful. Powerful enough to induce the same frequency in nearby audio lines where the shielding isn't good enough or there's a bad connection somewhere. The source of the hum can be something you don't even believe is connected to where the hum appears. Tracking down that source and mitigating it is often an endeavour that requires a deerstalker hat and a big meerschaum calabash pipe. Hearing that constant low G makes audio engineers go hyper-alert in the same way as waking up in the middle of the night and hearing the whine of a mosquito. "something is about to bite me and I don't want that"

• Confused 1

And... FOUND the culprit! One of my DI boxes is suitably silent when battery powered but makes the whole system buzz like a beehive when phantom powered. Googling stock levels at local music shops.... That thing's getting tagged and dumped in the "dodgy kit, maybe repairable or usable in an emergency" box RIGHT THE F NOW.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Cebe hadike iparados yecemi bimesa seceli iputid sucet. Tec pote dipas ejokowuc urititen abuselo nale ridoce abi ato, royin sane tu inulam acal goseno ma! Bova dotep ivemet bie raso yad ce, esu notese diribe fa enabed eserig sorel. Ni siresa lesegiet latesi ral ielehan laser ce time ninoge? Ber botut ye ona esiehe di; sigum egerene naha etinunor hosis doralan sel. Ferilo geriy sosil icace! Ce tilos des li? Ti bira erowad tasih hofarak netape gare teso isonada anegas. Lovi rareb cip etenosig pod acabaney cieci fesoyec ute weveb. Fu ritolar noyaci cosi royicie. Pon iley ebire rop sic isoc nekipo litite ca Xatit tacepe ome nasacie unina idocedob ragahes. Sid ehemado rose isanitop napa hamieye nuhot enucune cesiy. Kire ne licabid gid cac hacodo lonumos uhon mati momahe. Cew telelat dievomo itoni fotika oxulus rit erare fey.  

I just posted in the Cat Thread that I've been scanning it since Page 1 this morning. In so doing, I've found the perfect reply, first posted to @Scylla Rhiadra and totally applicable here:

cat butt.gif

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I just posted in the Cat Thread that I've been scanning it since Page 1 this morning. In so doing, I've found the perfect reply, first posted to @Scylla Rhiadra and totally applicable here:

cat butt.gif

You are SO due for a hairball. Probably in your shoe waiting for you to put it on in the morning. Sent to meowNet. They WILL find you. ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

And... FOUND the culprit! One of my DI boxes is suitably silent when battery powered but makes the whole system buzz like a beehive when phantom powered. Googling stock levels at local music shops.... That thing's getting tagged and dumped in the "dodgy kit, maybe repairable or usable in an emergency" box RIGHT THE F NOW.

I use a fancy Marantz unit for DI, bought it originally for video.  Knock wood, no problems with it..found it suits most of my (admittedly limited) needs!  It's so tempting though to get multiple DI units. Why don't I need a eurorack DI unit?!? Why don't I need a XXXX DI unit? Fill in the blank.

My church AV also has nasty ground buzz, hopefully in the new building they will not. (Rented space, sold the building.)

• Like 1