11 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Why would one need to wear 6 different wigs? Wouldn't it be one wig with different texture options in which parts of it are invisible?

Btw, a modifiable wig will let the users make stray strands that get in one's eyes invisible, as well as changing the color, without the need for texture-change scripts. 

My assumption is it's possibly hair with a style HUD? I have several hairstyles that can be changed (some even have animations included where you can toss the hair over your shoulder or brush it forward). Ponytail up, hair down. Left shoulder or right shoulder. Bangs over one eye or the other. Etc. 

I have one style that will lag me to absolute death and take a whole 2 minutes to show up on my head because I can change it about 6 different ways - braids here braids there no braids at all this length that length, etc. I love it but...yikes! 

• Like 1

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:

My assumption is it's possibly hair with a style HUD? I have several hairstyles that can be changed (some even have animations included where you can toss the hair over your shoulder or brush it forward). Ponytail up, hair down. Left shoulder or right shoulder. Bangs over one eye or the other. Etc. 

I have one style that will lag me to absolute death and take a whole 2 minutes to show up on my head because I can change it about 6 different ways - braids here braids there no braids at all this length that length, etc. I love it but...yikes! 

I like hairs with style HUDs, especially when changing the style involves an animation to make it look like your avatar is pushing their hair back, pulling it forward, letting it down or tying it up, etc., My point is that when we're wearing this type of hair, it's one piece with several of the parts made invisible. It's not quite the same as wearing multiple layers of a mesh body or even multiple shapes for the feet of one's body.

13 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Yes, I mean MFA when you log in to SL on the Web. I mean that would be the safest route, instead of specific pages. 

I think it would have been easier to implement if they had done it that way, but since all of the critical pages are protected, I don't think that doing it on the original sign-in page would actually be any safer.

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I like hairs with style HUDs, especially when changing the style involves an animation to make it look like your avatar is pushing their hair back, pulling it forward, letting it down or tying it up, etc., My point is that when we're wearing this type of hair, it's one piece with several of the parts made invisible. It's not quite the same as wearing multiple layers of a mesh body or even multiple shapes for the feet of one's body.

That I'm not sure of. I know my braided knot style is the absolute worst one I have in the time it takes to render and whatnot, whereas my Foxy ones - with animations - load way faster. Maybe he meant what you said - that it's all one wig with various parts made invis, but in doing so, it's like wearing 6 hairstyles at once. No idea.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Ooh! I wanna live in Barking.

3 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

My wolf alt and I live in Barker. There's also a Linden Home region named Rolfe.

Rolfe Barking. Kinda has a ring to it. Rolling on floor barking. Yeah. I like that.

• Haha 1

Peeve: "Elevators" (the name).

A machine one can travel inside that moves upwards and downwards. And sometimes, even sideways.

Yet Americans call it an "elevator"....

To elevate means to move upwards. ONLY upwards. Elevate cannot mean to move downwards, or sideways.

"Elevator" is a nonsensical name.  Use the name "Lift" instead, as objects can be lifted upwards, downwards and even sideways.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Elevators, lifts, pah! To the dustbin (trash can, for fellow Yanks) with all of them. I want lift shafts like in Lois McMaster Bujold's books (see "Brothers in Arms" for the best description of using one). Tubes where to go down, you just step off the edge and fall. You're caught by an antigrav field and gently lowered to your destination. Going up just requires a stronger antigrav field.

(Hmm, I just realized Bujold doesn't describe how this works in multistory buildings, only in situations with one departure and one destination point. I'll leave designing one for skyscrapers as an exercise for the alert student.)

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Lift and Elevate have the same meaning.  

LIFT

[lift]

VERB

raise to a higher position or level

ELEVATE

[ˈeləˌvāt]

VERB

raise or lift (something) up to a higher position

I was wondering where they got the "sideways" motion from! Maybe "yank" or "yeet"?

3 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Elevators, lifts, pah! To the dustbin (trash can, for fellow Yanks) with all of them. I want lift shafts like in Lois McMaster Bujold's books (see "Brothers in Arms" for the best description of using one). Tubes where to go down, you just step off the edge and fall. You're caught by an antigrav field and gently lowered to your destination. Going up just requires a stronger antigrav field.

(Hmm, I just realized Bujold doesn't describe how this works in multistory buildings, only in situations with one departure and one destination point. I'll leave designing one for skyscrapers as an exercise for the alert student.)

So instead of "lifts", these would be "falls". Or, "AAAAHHHH!'s". Ozzes.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was wondering where they got the "sideways" motion from! Maybe "yank" or "yeet"?

In feed manufacturing plants, the elevator lifts stuff from the floor and conveys it to a different part of the silo or plant. Because of this upwards motion, it is called elevator. In plants however it also "snakes" around, bringing the grains to different parts of the shed to the various stages of processing. So in agritech, they are called elevators even though they are more like conveyor belts. 

In animal care we also use elevators, especially for sheep. They are based on the same principle of those in grain sheds, lift and carry around. The sheep elevators are useful when there are many sheep to mark, vaccinate, check etc. I know this sounds weird but here is an example to illustrate what I mean 🐑 🙂

• Like 1

I thought someone a few pages back was being dramatic about quickly spinning demo signs. ..

No they're real, WTF, if you can't Read the word demo that's too fast. I was just looking at a product to understand a scripting request, but that's an instant no-sale from me.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yeet will forever be my absolute favorite word.

You ever seen those customizable athletic leggings Blueberry makes, with the words going down the legs? Yeah...betcha can't guess what mine say. 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1