β€‹πŸ¬β€‹ It’s The Great Trick or Treat Event, Bellisseria! β€‹πŸŽƒβ€‹

Patch Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

24 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

That's not up to me.Β  Β I'veΒ  messaged the Linden who is overseeing the hunt to tell them what's happened (linking to this thread) and we'll doubtless discussΒ  it tomorrow when they get to work.Β  Β  Β We'll just have to hope that Google sheets are responding by then, and see what happens.Β 

I have to say, though, that there are technical reasons why extending the hunt isn't as easy as you might think.Β Β 

They call it "Trick or Treat" for a reason.

This is just the holiday having a laugh at us! 😊 β™₯

🐹

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

The fair thing to do at this point is give ANYONE who has collected from a candy bukit ALL the bears. This will cost Wakefield NOTHING to do and will show they take responsibility for this situation. In the future, please don't depend on Google.

With all due respect. I am not sure it is the "fair" thing to do at all. You have some people that have collected 500 plus candies (just using a random number for the point I am making lol) and others that have grabbed one or maybe a few handfuls.

Not to dog anyone's efforts at all here, truly. But part of this is based on competition and the rules don't just get changed because a hiccup happened. Those with the most candies, put in the most effort. That is just a fact. And everyone who clicked just one bucket, gets at least one cool bear regardless :)Β 

Technology fails at times, it sucks for sure .. but it happens. Be it at the office at work etc etc or virtually, here in sl. Putting the fault of that on to LL and saying they need to rectify something they had no fault in to begin with by turning this into a free for all... Is essentially disregarding all the efforts made and time spent collecting. That would not go over well with a large part of the community I'm afraid. And understandably so.Β 

🐹

Edited by JessycaJayne
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

The fair thing to do at this point is give ANYONE who has collected from a candy bukit ALL the bears. This will cost Wakefield NOTHING to do and will show they take responsibility for this situation. In the future, please don't depend on Google.

That is UNfair. Everyone already gets a participation prize. Everybody who put in effort gets what they get, however they rank through their efforts. Let's not make this not fun.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

The people it'll most impact are those who intended to just click one bucket and get the bear and hadn't gotten to it yet. But it seems we can get them a candy by replacing a bucket, so that can be worked around. I doubt the top slots will be impacted at all by this. We'll just all have slightly lower counts if the buckets don't come back, but it will be the same for us all.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JessycaJayne said:

With all due respect. I am not sure it is the "fair" thing to do at all.

Contests are supposed to have rules. When the contest depends on "technology" or "things working", it is not unusual for contest sponsors to specify in advance what happens then things do not go as planned. Making up remedies on-the-fly is suspect.

In this case, we are talking about a situation where there is no "cost to enter" other than time spent looking for candy bukits. Also, the "prizes" have no value or at least I expect that would be said if the contest sponsors were asked. Even the "skill required" for this contest is uncertain as some simply look for bukits as suggested in the rules while others use public lists, collude with friends, use alts that rez bukits temporarily, or use Area Search.

I imagine there are some who planned to look for candy bukkits only on the days that the bukkits did not properly function. They "followed the rules" yet were disadvantaged.

I am unsure what a fair remedy for this situation is. The few people that spent tens of hours walking thru hundreds of regions looking for bukits must have enjoyed what they were doing. Would they be treated unfairly if a buckit "slacker" received the same prize?

Does anyone else find this whole situation a bit absurd?

Β 

Β 

Edited by diamond Marchant

2 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

The people it'll most impact are those who intended to just click one bucket and get the bear and hadn't gotten to it yet. But it seems we can get them a candy by replacing a bucket, so that can be worked around. I doubt the top slots will be impacted at all by this. We'll just all have slightly lower counts if the buckets don't come back, but it will be the same for us all.

This be me.Β  I've had a very hectic month and was out of the country for 10 days of it.Β  So I've been squeezing all of my Halloween stuff into this past week.Β  Just finished the Shop & Hop today, grabbed my bucket and damn if it wasn't all broken.

Hopefully it will get fixed before EOD tomorrow.Β  I really only need to click one bucket -- knew that I just wouldn't have time to try for any of the top spots, so I just want the participation bear.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

I've been out testing buckets and can answer some of the questions people have asked (here and inworld). If you get the message that you've clicked that bucket before, it does not appear to lock out the bucket. If it gives you candy, it does lock it out. Some I don't think have been replaced and work, which I'm guessing is because they weren't clicked after the problem started. Once they give out one candy, they lock up.

The total clicks on a bucket doesn't matter for this in any way. I've had a bucket with high numbers give a candy and one that had only been clicked once that was locked (freshly placed, so the owner likely clicked to check, and that was that).

The HUD retains the new candy through logins and a fresh copy of the HUD. It really does seem to be recording if it says a candy was given.

That means you can make sure some people get some candy by returning home to replace your bucket on occasion. It doesn't look set to resolve in the next five minutes, so that's about the best we've got. (If I'm around and my bucket is locked, just IM me... I'll come as soon as I can.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This be me.Β  I've had a very hectic month and was out of the country for 10 days of it.Β  So I've been squeezing all of my Halloween stuff into this past week.Β  Just finished the Shop & Hop today, grabbed my bucket and damn if it wasn't all broken.

Hopefully it will get fixed before EOD tomorrow.Β  I really only need to click one bucket -- knew that I just wouldn't have time to try for any of the top spots, so I just want the participation bear.

If you need just one click, rez your own bucket and click it.Β 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

Contests are supposed to have rules. When the contest depends on "technology" or "things working", it is not unusual for contest sponsors to specify in advance what happens then things do not go as planned. Making up remedies on-the-fly is suspect.

In this case, we are talking about a situation where there is no "cost to enter" other than time spent looking for candy bukits. Also, the "prizes" have no value or at least I expect that would be said if the contest sponsors were asked. Even the "skill required" for this contest is uncertain as some simply look for bukits as suggested in the rules while others use public lists, collude with friends, use alts that rez bukits temporarily, or use Area Search.

I imagine there are some who planned to look for candy bukkits only on the days that the bukkits did not properly function. They "followed the rules" yet were disadvantaged.

I am unsure what a fair remedy for this situation is. The few people that spent tens of hours walking thru hundreds of regions looking for bukits must have enjoyed what they were doing. Would they be treated unfairly if a buckit "slacker" received the same prize?

Does anyone else find this whole situation a bit absurd?

Β 

Β 

Not sure if you’re trying to sound condescending to those that spent a lot of time doing the trick or treat hunt, but you are. While this is β€œlow skill”, it does involve time commitment, and dedication. The people that chooses to do it does not want it wiped out by suddenly having all of that wiped because of a momentary glitch. I’ve felt the hunt time was sufficiently long enough, maybe even too long. One or even two missing day isn’t going to affect much. Unless you’ve done the hunt yourself, you won’t know how insanely hard it is to find buckets, scouring thousands of regions. People have been working on this since day 1.

Edited by AzureWaves
  • Like 3

One thing to remember: the Lindens have access to a lot more information than we do about this game.Β  They KNOW whether one day more or less is likely to make a difference in who wins, how difficult it would be to change the duration of the game, how much time folks have spent finding buckets, etc..

So it probably would be best to just wait and see how long the disruption lasts, and what the Lindens feel they can do about it, if anything.Β  Β Rather than getting upset with each other's opinions.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 3

Just some thoughts:

For goodwill, if possible I think the hunt should be extended by a day or however long the downtime has been.Β  That seems only reasonable and fair, since residents were expecting the hunt to last until the date advertised. It's not the residents fault the buckets have broken. (I'm wondering why LL are using Google Docs for this. I would have thought a Linden run game would be using internal systems to record data. I'm sure they have a good reason though, which I'm not privvy to. )

If that's not possible, then why not just make the lowest tier bear available from the hunt HUD points so that anyone can get one, for a limited period. That way those that were planning to grab at least one candy to get the bear yesterday or today can still get one and not feel dissapointed. As for the other tiers, I think they have to just go with what was recorded at the time of failure. I can't see another way round that.

I don't think making all the free bears for everyone is necessarily the best approach, for reasons AzureWaves give, i.e. because of the time and dedication some residents may have put in. I think it will cause resentment. Personally I don't mind if they do that, even thoughΒ  I've put quite a bit of time in to getting candy (I just love having candy been thrown at me lol).

What they could perhaps do instead isΒ  offer a one-off unique free bear (not the lowest tier one I mentioned above) to all participants, one that won't be made available in future hunts, as some compensation for the hunt being cut short.Β  But logistically I'm not sure how they'd do that - they'd need to set up a dispenser that would have data on who had already taken part or something. It would probably be more work than they have time or willingness to put into it. Just a thought though.

As Niki says, they know more than we do about what's feasible. I just hope this doesn't all get soured and ruin it for future hunts.

Β 

20 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

Just some thoughts:

For goodwill, if possible I think the hunt should be extended by a day or however long the downtime has been.Β  That seems only reasonable and fair, since residents were expecting the hunt to last until the date advertised. It's not the residents fault the buckets have broken. (I'm wondering why LL are using Google Docs for this. I would have thought a Linden run game would be using internal systems to record data. I'm sure they have a good reason though, which I'm not privvy to. )

If that's not possible, then why not just make the lowest tier bear available from the hunt HUD points so that anyone can get one, for a limited period. That way those that were planning to grab at least one candy to get the bear yesterday or today can still get one and not feel dissapointed. As for the other tiers, I think they have to just go with what was recorded at the time of failure. I can't see another way round that.

I don't think making all the free bears for everyone is necessarily the best approach, for reasons AzureWaves give, i.e. because of the time and dedication some residents may have put in. I think it will cause resentment. Personally I don't mind if they do that, even thoughΒ  I've put quite a bit of time in to getting candy (I just love having candy been thrown at me lol).

What they could perhaps do instead isΒ  offer a one-off unique free bear (not the lowest tier one I mentioned above) to all participants, one that won't be made available in future hunts, as some compensation for the hunt being cut short.Β  But logistically I'm not sure how they'd do that - they'd need to set up a dispenser that would have data on who had already taken part or something. It would probably be more work than they have time or willingness to put into it. Just a thought though.

As Niki says, they know more than we do about what's feasible. I just hope this doesn't all get soured and ruin it for future hunts.

Β 

I agree on the not changing things up as far as teirs for many have put quite a lot of work in. I know myself have spent several hours all day this week litererally and up until wee the next morning a few times working hard in hopes to keep up. I never do these so I went for it. as far as the one that everyone gets, that is still doable as when a new bucket is rezzed or re-rezzed it does work. so nothing will prevent any newcomers from getting the participatory bear. :)Β  fingers crossed that things do get fixed to perhaps get in those last goals for the "race to the finish line" or the final battle to top 10 between those that are very close to one another in the "end game" hehe. and hey otherwise next year was always better. Happy Halloween!! πŸŽƒπŸ‘»πŸ’€

• Like 2

Much as I'd love to get all the bears it would be horribly unfair. I'm at 84 after having chased around for less than an hour a couple of days. Some has actually put in a lot of time. The argument that it is free to enter shows total contempt for their time and effort.

I'm happy with the consolation bear. Cause I'm worth it :)

• Like 3

I haven't done much trick or treating, and while I had planned to do some more before the event ends, I have had no plans to compete for bears other than the participation bear. I too think it'd be unfair to hand out all bears to people like me, who barely put in any effort.

However, I do like Evangeline's suggestion about a compensation bear for all participants, and I hope the Higher Trick or Treat Powers pick up on that πŸ™‚Β SO many of us would have liked to spend some more time with this event this weekend, but had no chance to - and then it ends.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Miro Felix said:

πŸ™‚Β SO many of us would have liked to spend some more time with this event this weekend, but had no chance to - and then it ends.

It did work Saturday and this morning but yes if it was your Sunday afternoon plan it bites.Β  Guess it worked until we clicked just one too many.Β  LOL

Β 

Edited by Hedy Heartsong

7 hours ago, AzureWaves said:

If you need just one click, rez your own bucket and click it.Β 

I don't own a Linden Home right now --- and the HUD will not stay attached in order to click a bucket.Β  Also, if I remember correctly from last year, clicking your own bucket does not give you the candy count.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

• Lindens

Hey all!

We recognize things are still broken - as Quartz mentioned, last time we saw this it was only a few hours, this time seems to be happening quite a bit longer, and at the most inopportune time.Β We're looking into possible workarounds to get things working again.

As of this moment, we have no plans to extend the event beyond its current end time. However, we are considering our options for how to handle prizes. Obviously, that won't be to the extent of handing out all prizes to anyone, but we believe we can find a happy medium. We'll let you know when we have any updates!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 10

5 minutes ago, Derrick Linden said:

Hey all!

We recognize things are still broken - as Quartz mentioned, last time we saw this it was only a few hours, this time seems to be happening quite a bit longer, and at the most inopportune time.Β We're looking into possible workarounds to get things working again.

As of this moment, we have no plans to extend the event beyond its current end time. However, we are considering our options for how to handle prizes. Obviously, that won't be to the extent of handing out all prizes to anyone, but we believe we can find a happy medium. We'll let you know when we have any updates!

Thanks for the update! Making the Witchy bear free for everybody to get at the community centers would be very gracious and should appease most people who haven't done the hunt at all.

• Like 2

I really feel out of the loop because I didn't even know there were prizes for the trick or treating event around Bellisseria. My husband and I were simply wanting to take our daughter trick or treating as a family since this is the first year he didn't have to work on a holiday in a long time. This is the first year we were able to even consider taking part although we've been part of the Belli community from the outset. It was the entire experience we wished our daughter and us to take part in. No offense, but we don't care about the prizes. We wanted her to experience trick or treating for the first time.

My family has no opinion about the prize aspect of it. We simply wanted to be able to have some wholesome family fun together. It's too bad things went buggy for many reasons.

Edited by Dafadilia Wayfarer
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sorry to change the subject of the much debated borked buckets (which, while it did suck that I couldn't go trick or treating, I was getting frustrated with continually finding buckets I had already found. Grrrr...) how exactly does this event end. I mean do I collect my bucket from my front porch and take the HUD off and just go about my day? Do I have to click something? I'm sure it's written down somewhere but I'm honestly too lazy to look and a lot of you have done this before whilst I'm a newbie. Thank you everyone and HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Stay safe tonight.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.