LL partnering with Speedlight & PremPlus gets Speedlight benefits

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 10/5/2022 at 12:39 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

Speedlight might have been ok a decade ago, in 2022 .. hell no.

It depends entirely on what one wants it for. You'll remember the thread about getting a viewer working on an ARM processor (for the Raspberry Pi). I started that thread hoping to get any viewer running for chat and IM purposes. We managed to get Radegast working, but it wouldn't list the inventory items. If I'd known about Speedlight, I wouldn't have started that thread.

Radegast became problematic for me and I've now found Speedlight which runs in my browser, and therefore doesn't care what CPU is being used. It does everything I wanted, including the inventory. And it also has a rudimentary 3D viewer, although it doesn't show avatars - just their names. Trying to get Radegast to show a 3D view unceremoniously closed it down every time.

So, as a full viewer, of course not, but as a thin viewer for chat and such, it's great.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

P+ Member here. I don't plan on using this viewer at all. ZERO .even as my cell phone is glued to my hand in RL.

Simple reason this was a terrible move by LL they should have bought the Lumiya Viewer and then should have open sourced it to the 3rd party viewers to really get several ones out to fit varied people tastes.

Why?

Well come on people we need new blood here in SL and a free mobile global app was what SL not only needed, but deserves!

This was a short sighted example of LL employees living in an echo chamber and not using their own services.

Premium plus needed some extra carrots to bait subscribers but this should not have been one of them. its counter productive long term that we will all pay for with less new people to meet, rent to or sell things to. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

They could not have bought Lumiya.

Leave it where it belongs - in the heap of abandoned software.

Yeah Lumiya hasn't been updated since it was taken off the Google Play Market. So why would they buy something, that they would have to put years of updates into? It would not be a worthwhile investment or partnership. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Yeah Lumiya hasn't been updated since it was taken off the Google Play Market. So why would they buy something, that they would have to put years of updates into? It would not be a worthwhile investment or partnership. 

Not only that ... who would they buy it from?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

In my eyes Speedlight is better, its being supported and the created seems very invested into it. And since it was created, the creator has basically put a lot time and energy into it. 

Here's hoping Speedlight gets to a point that LL gives it "full support", a "stamp of approval", and whatever needed to help satisfy user requirements.  

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

They could not have bought Lumiya.

Leave it where it belongs - in the heap of abandoned software.

17 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

15 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Not only that ... who would they buy it from?

13 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

At the best. So yeah ... No one to even buy it from.

13 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

At the best. So yeah ... No one to even buy it from.

12 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

In my eyes Speedlight is better, its being supported and the created seems very invested into it. And since it was created, the creator has basically put a lot time and energy into it. 

You can gaslight it LOL.. but the thing your appearing to overlook is they took have a mobile app that should be free for a 20yr old+ GAME that the company itself admits is a small fry in terms of marketspace and are hiding it behind a paywall. almost as if they have no desire to see the grid grow or even replace the people who never log back in.

Let me give you some ammo to reload on. you can come at me with " they are a private company and can do what they want" exactly like waste between 50 to 75 million dollars on a stillborn platform residents told them in alpha would never make it and to put it to sleep before wasting a half a decade "like SL but Better" and lets be real here LL uses the next step up from slave labor called contractors (those who do not get benefits and are strung along with promises of 'real employment') well before one of you starts the 'they got a fortune in this viewer why should they share with 3rd party viewers' no they don't if anything the most $50 grand(pretax).

This viewer or an old viewer whatever works, they should offer the mobile viewer free of charge on the google/apple stores at a minimal and at the most they should opensource it. 

They can find some other carrot to offer P+ they just have to unplug themselves from there binary collectives unit and instead of say'n 'you will be assimilated' they can things inside there heads ' how can I help you' ' how could this be better'

Don't worry no linden will see this, as Coffee has pointed out. they never read the forums anymore so no hurt feelings.

I get your point your old heads on the forum this is your mic area & playground but sometimes we need to things to be said when no one else wants to or is fear of losing forum popularity over.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, NevaehHeartstrings said:

You can gaslight it LOL.. but the thing your appearing to overlook is they took have a mobile app that should be free for a 20yr old+ GAME that the company itself admits is a small fry in terms of marketspace and are hiding it behind a paywall. almost as if they have no desire to see the grid grow or even replace the people who never log back in.

Let me give you some ammo to reload on. you can come at me with " they are a private company and can do what they want" exactly like waste between 50 to 75 million dollars on a stillborn platform residents told them in alpha would never make it and to put it to sleep before wasting a half a decade "like SL but Better" and lets be real here LL uses the next step up from slave labor called contractors (those who do not get benefits and are strung along with promises of 'real employment') well before one of you starts the 'they got a fortune in this viewer why should they share with 3rd party viewers' no they don't if anything the most $50 grand(pretax).

This viewer or an old viewer whatever works, they should offer the mobile viewer free of charge on the google/apple stores at a minimal and at the most they should opensource it. 

They can find some other carrot to offer P+ they just have to unplug themselves from there binary collectives unit and instead of say'n 'you will be assimilated' they can things inside there heads ' how can I help you' ' how could this be better'

Don't worry no linden will see this, as Coffee has pointed out. they never read the forums anymore so no hurt feelings.

I get your point your old heads on the forum this is your mic area & playground but sometimes we need to things to be said when no one else wants to or is fear of losing forum popularity over.  

It is free though. They didn't hide it behind a paywall. I mean yes you are limited on time on the app, due to server constraints. But if you pay for their patreon, or you have premium plus. You get unlimited time. So please stop pushing out misinformation, like its facts. It makes you look bad. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

That's nice.

There's no one to buy it from - period.

Your entire response has nothing whatsoever to do with what you have quoted let alone with the actual situation.

But do go ahead and pretend otherwise.

Also since when has contract work, been considered slave labour? This person is really off the rails. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

It is free though. They didn't hide it behind a paywall. I mean yes you are limited on time on the app, due to server constraints. But if you pay for their patreon, or you have premium plus. You get unlimited time. So please stop pushing out misinformation, like its facts. It makes you look bad. 

Oh, did they mean Speedlight is "hiding behind a paywall"? I assume they meant that's where Lumiya went!

Yeah, Speedlight is very free.

• Like 1

Just now, NevaehHeartstrings said:

I feel ya, sometimes it's just too easy, even when ones not trying.

Too bad you misinterpreted who my post was directed toward.

LL can't buy Lumiya as it's not for sale.  It is owned by someone who hasn't been heard from in some time.  They can't just steal it.

Speedlight is completely free to use with limitations.  One of those being 1 hour at a time.  But, when your hour is up, you can simply restart endlessly.  There IS a.paid version that allows uninterrupted time which is what LL and speedlight are giving to PP accounts at no extra charge.  Basic and regular SL accounts can still use the free version or pay around $9/month for the Gold.

Whether PP use it or not is irrelevant.  Many PP will only be using the extra land or groups.  Some just want it for the free uploads.  No one is expected to become PP ONLY for Speedlight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

That's nice.

There's no one to buy it from - period.

Your entire response has nothing whatsoever to do with what you have quoted let alone with the actual situation.

But do go ahead and pretend otherwise.

What you are leaving out of the equation either because you don't know or not being upfront about is that the Lab knew this was going to happen 5 years ago when Lumiya was taken off of the TPV list and followed up with putting the dev in a position where she no longer qualified to have a viewer on it. At that point they knew darn well that we were going to be out of a mobile viewer, which from the 500,000 + sales was a popular option. 

The Lab did admittedly hire an Android dev, though they would have been faster ahead contracting the work out to an experienced Android dev for $50-100K to basically develop a similar viewer as Lumiya as it had already been proven to be a workable and popular alternative. Instead they waffled around in their normal fashion until today when they have abandoned any mobile viewer plans and are in a state of limbo about any future direction. Though the developer could have coded updates that would have at least allowed the http pipeline to work instead of UDP, whatever drama happened between the Lumiya viewer dev and the Lab seemed to torpedo that. In any case the Lab went ahead with the updates but considering they went out of their way to allow connections from the Speedlight app, they could have easily done the same for Lumiya so it would still be working for the most part like the Opensimulator dev did for it to continue working in Opensim. As crippled as Lumiya is on S/L, it still has more capability then much of Speedlight does from reports.

Their partnering with Speedlight to offer it as a PP option is really a sad little bone they are throwing in that just tries to divert attention on how they have handled and continue to handle the whole Mobile viewer fiasco for the past 5 years.

But go ahead and pretend otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.