What would you do differently if LL starts collecting our data to sell or give it to 3rd parties?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 638 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Referencing this thread,

What would you do if LL starts using data on what we buy on Marketplace or through inworld vendors? Would you be more careful about what you buy? Would you buy less? Would you buy direct from other uses who don't use LL vendors? Would you make more of your own stuff?

What if they might sell or distribute our RL data to 3rd parties so they can send spam to our email? or post directed advertising to our other social media feeds? Would you uncheck that box to not receive email if it might mean missing something important to you? 

I have to admit I haven't read the new Privacy Policy yet, but the idea that SL might be shifting to a more financially profitable model has me thinking about my options.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
typo
  • Like 3

I HAVE read the new LL privacy policy and it seems much more likely that the abilities they "MAY" (it actually says MAY in some places) invoke seems more directed toward sending out emails FOR companies LL has partnered with.   In some ways these changes reflect what was going on in Sansar shortly before it was sold.  I never logged in again after the sale  so I can't say much about that platform now. 

According to a big sections about the rights of users SL citizens should be able to opt out of emails. I did change my choice to not receive any emails from LL.  I am still getting off-line IMs which I do want so happy there.  

The Tilia privacy policy is not the same (some similarities of course) as the Linden Lab Privacy Statement.   As I am reading it, (and didn't read through all the Tilia stuff as I don't use Tilia (purposefully))  it seems like the LL policy is broader than Tilias. I have no idea which one trumps the other legally.   

I don't use social media other than this forum. I am not really even posting much to Flickr these days.  So for me and as far as I can tell there really won't be much change.  Microsoft collects a ton of data and some of it things they will NOT let you turn off, so while I don't agree with the new policy,  If people don't want their RL info out there more than necessary they need  NOT to link their social media to their SL account. That is pretty much a no brainer :D.   

When I went to check to see if Tilia's policy had already been changed I saw an announcement about that change.   I looked for an official blog post but there was none. BUT going to the SL home page I see there is a top banner. So for anyone that actually goes to that page, they will know :D .   

Anyone (a law student maybe) who wants to compare old and new "I" for one would be very happy to know the exact differences. That was VERY helpful to see back in August of 2013.  

image.png.3369bd728658d0f4de57c72f0ff48bf8.png

• Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Referencing this thread,

What would you do if LL starts using data on what we buy on Marketplace or through inworld vendors? Would you be more careful about what you buy? Would you buy less? Would you buy direct from other uses who don't use LL vendors? Would you make more of your own stuff?

What if they might sell or distribute our RL data to 3rd parties so they can send spam to our email? or post directed advertising to our other social media feeds? Would you uncheck that box to not receive email if it might mean missing something important to you? 

I have to admit I haven't read the new Privacy Policy yet, but the idea that SL might be shifting to a more financially profitable model has me thinking about my options.

The part that I found most intriguing was certainly what it had to say about linking with 3rd party vendors and social media platforms. I'd like to know a whole lot more about how LL plans to establish such links.

There is, for instance, no "formal" or procedural link between this SL account -- "Scylla Rhiadra" -- and my Twitter account, which theoretically belongs to my alt, "Laskya Claren." There is a somewhat stronger connection between "Scylla"'s Facebook page (which I hardly ever use) and this SL identity, but again that link is not in code, but rather through a shared name, posted content, and interests.

So -- and this is where things get potentially very intrusive and a little disturbing -- how are they going to use data from these 3rd party platforms in their aggregate understanding of "Scylla Rhiadra"?

• Like 6

If someone's willing to pay them to find out I own a magical flying giant maxi pad with PMS sound effects, and that I'm the original inventor of the Rotting Love Corpse with giant maggot weeny and 6 stinky-rotten animations, then hey, power to 'em.

I also like dressing up like a baby sometimes, but I'd throw that one in as a freeby.

What? Why are you looking at me like that?

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

You haven't even read the policy yet you are here asking "what if" questions.  How can you even think about what your options are if you haven't even read it?  Also, most companies think about shifting to a model that is more financially profitable on a daily basis. 

Do you mean like if I buy a scooter on SL, I suddenly get targeted ads for scooters IRL? It would freak me out a bit :S  I wouldn't know how they linked my SL and RL...

I don't really mind RL targeted advertising...I would rather get a heads-up on the best cheapest convection oven or a new Cocteau Twins boxset than random keratin ads or insurance policies I don't need! 

(ETA - what would happen if you bought a skybox...maybe they would recommend a luxury rooftop apartment? :o)

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Somebody knows if you're buying dog food, dog toys though, and how often you're going to your vet.

And so would you say that this extends from veterinarian supplies to ... lingerie, even if you're in the closet? At some point, don't we recognize private sector aggregation of information about individuals as invasive (especially when they resell this to governments or politically-active organizations)? Do we really have any excuse remaining not to, post-Snowden and post-Cambridge Analytica? 

Edited by Brightstar7777
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The part that I found most intriguing was certainly what it had to say about linking with 3rd party vendors and social media platforms. I'd like to know a whole lot more about how LL plans to establish such links.

My take on this is that it's talking about things like the way some websites let you log in using your Facebook or Google account, instead of a user name and password.

I never use that option, when it's presented.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

My take on this is that it's talking about things like the way some websites let you log in using your Facebook or Google account, instead of a user name and password.

I never use that option, when it's presented.

Thar was my assumption, but has LL ever had this option??

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brightstar7777 said:

And so would you say that this extends from veterinarian supplies to ... lingerie, even if you're in the closet? At some point, don't we recognize private sector aggregation of information about individuals as invasive (especially when they resell this to governments or politically-active organizations)? Do we really have any excuse remaining not to, post-Snowden and post-Cambridge Analytica? 

I would say it does. If you want to be totally incognito go use a library computer.  As far as lingerie goes, no one knows it's you that you are  buying it for. Could be for a wife, GF, Mother.  

I crossed out the political part so the thread doesn't get locked.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

As far as lingerie goes, no one knows it's you that you are  buying it for. Could be for a wife, GF, Mother.  

Have you ever tried and had the bank follow up later, suspicious that it was fraudulent? Or order something and have all the "non-male" items silently dropped from your order? Have you ever transitioned while dealing with anxiety or other complex feelings about how you relate to society? Have you ever actually been in the closet, Sam? What about individuals who were traumatized in the past by abusive authority in their life (whether it's their parents, community "thought leaders," or government?) What about minorities being oppressed in states led by hostile figureheads? What about all of that at once? Are you experienced?

Edited by Brightstar7777
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I crossed out the political part so the thread doesn't get locked

"As soon as all the corrections which happened to be necessary in any particular number of The Times had been assembled and collated, that number would be reprinted, the original copy destroyed, and the corrected copy placed on the files in its stead. This process of continuous alteration was applied not only to newspapers, but to books, periodicals, pamphlets, posters, leaflets, films, sound-tracks, cartoons, photographs — to every kind of literature or documentation which might conceivably hold any political or ideological significance. Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date."

(George Orwell, 1984)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Hopefully a Linden will pop in and fill us in if it's something to be concerned about.

Many state laws are cracking down on privacy stuff like California.

I've not got anything to really be worried about privacy wise, I work for a school system,  and I have zero privacy with them,  so LL or whom ever,  does not bother me.

If this turned out to be like data collection/data selling in the real world, chances are there would be nothing we could do differently anyway.  I'm not particularly worried what my purchase history would show as there isn't anything there I would be ashamed of in any way.  If it turns out to be social media logins well a) I don't have any social media accounts and b) even if I did I wouldn't be stupid enough to use them to login to any other services with.

If it turns out to be something else then I'll deal with that when the time comes.  If LL ended up doing something I really couldn't live with then I would close my account just as I would with any other internet service.

• Sad 1

If our data is up for grabs, then we might as well be literally anywhere else, because that's what literally everywhere else does as a way to pay for the service.

So we would be here, paying for the service, and getting our data sold, by a company who's employees routinely make a big deal about how awesome it is that Linden Lab don't do that.

It would be a knife in the back after all these years, so I'm confident in saying I'm not alone in really really hoping they aren't doing that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It would be a knife in the back after all these years, so I'm confident in saying I'm not alone in really really hoping they aren't doing that.

I don't think they would, but what if after a long successful tenure as the preeminent VR experience on the Internet, Linden Lab and Second Life cease operations, go bankrupt and fall into receivership, and the most valuable asset they have are records related to two or more decades worth of user activity? Some of those users may go on to have public lives (or high-stakes private lives), and all of that data could be at bargain-basement prices for data miners. What protection will anyone have? What insight into transpired events will they have? This is why people should stand against encroaching dystopia in our world as a general thing, present company not withstanding. After something happens, it is too late to protect and ineffectual to protest.

Edited by Brightstar7777
  • Like 1

Walking outside in public, totally naked, even just once, will cure sooooooo much embarrassment, everything else just rolls off after that. Especially if you can joke with the cops about it when they come to wrap you in a blanket and take you to jail.

Talking from experience here, it totally works.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 638 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.