Privacy Policy | Linden Lab - NEW

Daniel Voyager

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well I am part of the less than one percent (just guessing :D) that actually READS these things. Some of you know that well.  

What I noted was a shift (maybe not really new but I don't remember reading about in the Privacy statement) to link accounts to another account (like FB or Google etc.).  Along with that the ability to send us "junk mail" from third parties and use any info FROM those third party linked accounts.  

In another section there is mention of our right to opt out of mailings but the only thing I could find currently in the backend was an Unsubscribe button which isn't really explained. The buttons above it  tell you what they do.   PRESUMABLY (who knows?) if people start getting ads that they don't want they can unsubscribe by using a link in the messages being sent. I believe that is law in the US anyway and Europe seems to be much better with privacy than "we" are :D.

There are some mentions of info they "may" collect which if NOT using third party info like FB they could not have -- like race and pregnancy status (WTF?) . I suspect this is the lawyers doing their "in the known and unknown universe" thing (that actually WAS in the TOS but not sure it is any longer.)

Geez. 

image.png.1273c3464318452765cd2d8f35cef2bd.png

It is probably important to note that some things in this new Privacy Policy may not have anything to do with SL but with other platforms under Linden Lab.   That has happened before.   Still, good to read and even better watch for ways to opt out of information collection when it is clear  and if wanted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information: If you utilise our communication services, such as online chat functions or real-time voice communications, we will collect personal information pursuant to such usage.

This is not new, but does this mean LL can collect and use anything you might say in a personal one-to-one IM?  I guess writing letters in invisible ink was a safer idea.  Or discussing private issues while golfing on a private course next to a busy freeway.  How does LL use olfactory methods when we talk to each other?  Is there a dog's nose built into the viewer?

There was (is?) a password encryption system in SL that made reading your IM's  impossible without the password, although govt snoops with super computers can still break any encryption password if necessary.  Maybe this is now illegal, since 1/6/21.  

If you want privacy, cut your internet cable in several pieces, starting at the building entry.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 1

I'd like to know what these mean, please:

"Linked Account. When creating your account, and depending on the Services used, you may opt to link an existing profile with a third-party provider (such as a social media account) to create your account to use the Services. Please note that we will use the personal information made available to us from the third-party profile that we deem necessary for the creation of the account and for the best experience when using the Services. If you would like to delete any of this information, you can do so within your account, to the extent the information is not mandatory to your account."

"We will not share your personal information with any third party except in limited circumstances and where permitted by applicable law, including:

• When you consent to us to sharing your personal information with another company, such as:

Directing us to share your personal information with third-party sites or platforms, such as social networking sites. Please note that once we share your personal information with another company, the information received by the other company becomes subject to the other company’s privacy policy and practices and such company is responsible for your personal information"
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"Linked Account. When creating your account, and depending on the Services used, you may opt to link an existing profile with a third-party provider (such as a social media account) to create your account to use the Services. Please note that we will use the personal information made available to us from the third-party profile that we deem necessary for the creation of the account and for the best experience when using the Services. If you would like to delete any of this information, you can do so within your account, to the extent the information is not mandatory to your account."

"We will not share your personal information with any third party except in limited circumstances and where permitted by applicable law, including:

• When you consent to us to sharing your personal information with another company, such as:

Directing us to share your personal information with third-party sites or platforms, such as social networking sites. Please note that once we share your personal information with another company, the information received by the other company becomes subject to the other company’s privacy policy and practices and such company is responsible for your personal information"

Looks like what might be needed to enable Apple sign in etc

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

It's an interesting index of the times, perhaps, that, had this happened in 2008, under Mark Kingdon, who was explicitly working to link SL with existing social media platforms, the cries of outrage here would have deafening. There was, perhaps, more concern about the impacts of such a linkage then, and it was a pretty common theme here for a while.

Maybe we've all just grown a bit blasé about social media?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's called the slow boiled frog approach.  Anyone born after 2000* thinks this is normal.

* or earlier - pick your first trigger year

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

It's called the slow boiled frog approach.  Anyone born after 2000* thinks this is normal.

* or earlier - pick your first trigger year

Fair.

But I also find it hard to imagine why anyone, outside of a handful of in-world stores, would buy it. Until such time as the metaverse becomes a reality, generating really large sums of money, this is going to remain pretty useless info. Buying a prim baby in SL isn't going to lead me to shopping for diapers in RL.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well I am part of the less than one percent (just guessing :D) that actually READS these things. Some of you know that well.  

What I noted was a shift (maybe not really new but I don't remember reading about in the Privacy statement) to link accounts to another account (like FB or Google etc.).  Along with that the ability to send us "junk mail" from third parties and use any info FROM those third party linked accounts.  

In another section there is mention of our right to opt out of mailings but the only thing I could find currently in the backend was an Unsubscribe button which isn't really explained. The buttons above it  tell you what they do.   PRESUMABLY (who knows?) if people start getting ads that they don't want they can unsubscribe by using a link in the messages being sent. I believe that is law in the US anyway and Europe seems to be much better with privacy than "we" are :D.

There are some mentions of info they "may" collect which if NOT using third party info like FB they could not have -- like race and pregnancy status (WTF?) . I suspect this is the lawyers doing their "in the known and unknown universe" thing (that actually WAS in the TOS but not sure it is any longer.)

Geez. 

image.png.1273c3464318452765cd2d8f35cef2bd.png

It is probably important to note that some things in this new Privacy Policy may not have anything to do with SL but with other platforms under Linden Lab.   That has happened before.   Still, good to read and even better watch for ways to opt out of information collection when it is clear  and if wanted. 

That was one thing I noticed as well…. It seems like they are going to be in fact giving out our personal info. Also, where exactly do we opt out of this invasion tactics?! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's difficult to get worked up about something you don't participate in personally.  Isn't the sale of your data pretty much the whole raisin-d'etre of social media anyway?  I assume that anyone who does participate is OK with that or wouldn't link their account?  I don't know, perhaps I am missing something about this.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

It's difficult to get worked up about something you don't participate in personally.  Isn't the sale of your data pretty much the whole raisin-d'etre of social media anyway?  I assume that anyone who does participate is OK with that or wouldn't link their account?  I don't know, perhaps I am missing something about this.

Strictly speaking, I think, most large platforms such as FB don't sell your data: what they do is sell targeted advertisements on the site. The value of those ads depends on the accuracy, comprehensiveness, and granularity of the data they compiled and analyzed.

Which is actually one reason why I don't think what LL has to offer would be worth much. The primary reason FB tends to delete "fictional" accounts (like SL avatar accounts) is that they "contaminate" their data. They want information about the purchasing habits of real people, using real cash to buy real services or products. If, to use my own example, I'm posting about my Zooby baby on Facebook, their algorithms are most likely going to misread that, and that makes the data pool itself less reliable, and hence less valuable.

Social media is pretty much a deal with the devil. You get to use a powerful and engaging platform for "free," in exchange for the platform having access to, and use of, your data. Which means, of course, that your use of it isn't really "free" at all. But I think most people don't think the data they are contributing is particularly worthwhile, and don't see any peril or downside to sharing it.

The stakes here are somewhat different. SL's promise of anonymity (which is exactly the opposite of what FB is founded upon) is a really important part of why people are here. Should that become compromised by the sale of data that potentially links SL and RL identities . . . well, for obvious reasons, that could be a real threat to some.

But again . . . I really can't imagine what LL would do with such information, or who would want it, despite the havoc it might potentially cause in the lives of individual residents here. MercilessTaskmaster.Resident might have good reason not to want his SL account linked to his RL identity, but who else would care?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

This is not new, but does this mean LL can collect and use anything you might say in a personal one-to-one IM? 

They've always been able to do that. They're used for resolution of abuse reports, investigation of age  play and so on.

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It looks to me like they're planning to implement a faclity to sign up for a facility to join SL using your FB/Twitter/Google/Apple ID etc, instead of with an email address. Maybe also the option to link to or display your FB/Twitter profile in your SL profile. Or Flickr? That would be popular.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

They've always been able to do that. They're used for resolution of abuse reports, investigation of age  play and so on.

It looks to me like they're planning to implement a faclity to sign up for a facility to join SL using your FB/Twitter/Google/Apple ID etc, instead of with an email address. Maybe also the option to link to or display your FB/Twitter profile in your SL profile. Or Flickr? That would be popular.

That sounds a little better than how it was sounding..  hehehehe

• 1 month later...

I noticed and a friend verified she noticed that when listening to streaming music we both often get ads targeted to our location in rl. For example, I've been getting tons of ads by someone running for gov in my state. How is this done? How does the stream know where we're located in real?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.