I Can't Pause My Game

Randall Ahren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

I didn't make the rules, I just suffer under them like everyone else. As Omar said in The Wire, the game is out there, it's either play or be played. I'm tired of being played.

I have no idea what rules you are talking about.. What rules? 0o

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

The rules aren't written down. You have to deduce them by observing resident behavior and forum posts. One rule is that you must be meshed up. If you're not meshed, then you're a nobody and all your IMs are justifiably ignored.

That won't be a problem for residents too much longer.. they will be coming in with mesh avatars soon from the very start..

What do they do if your gear score is too low in all them other games? 0o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

The rules aren't written down. You have to deduce them by observing resident behavior and forum posts. One rule is that you must be meshed up. If you're not meshed, then you're a nobody and all your IMs are justifiably ignored.

That rule is based on a very old saying, "Always judge a book by it's cover." 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Randall Ahren said:

I thought you didn't want IM's because they interrupt your game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

That rule is based on a very old saying, "Always judge a book by it's cover." 

There's another, more cynical variation of that saying: "beauty may only be skin deep, but ugly goes to the bone." On the subject of book covers, authors and publishers claim the cover is very important, even for ebooks. Sometimes its the cover that makes the sale.

Anyway, with these rules, you have to think like an anthropologist to uncover them. SL has its own, unique culture and even has an accent. Why do people say "nopers" and "yeppers" in SL? I've never encountered that anywhere else.

Edited by Randall Ahren
Add the word "only"
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I have no idea what rules you are talking about.. What rules? 0o

It's really rather lovely, Ceka, that this seems like it's news to you!

I think this is a case (and we see it a lot here) of people judging SL as a whole from their own narrow experience or values. There are, for instance, five clubs that I have gone to fairly regularly over the past few years -- in some cases, weekly -- in SL. In none of them would someone be snubbed or criticized because they were wearing a system avatar -- or were a furry, or whatever. I'm sure there are individuals at those places that might not respond favourably to an IM from someone who wasn't meshed up with the latest, but the communities themselves are really inviting and inclusive and welcoming. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them to a noob still using a system avi.

It seems odd to me that people who knowingly go places where that does matter -- where some segments of the SL resident population are unwelcome -- would express surprise that they find people there . . . unwelcoming.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There are, for instance, five clubs that I have gone to fairly regularly over the past few years -- in some cases, weekly -- in SL. In none of them would someone be snubbed or criticized because they were wearing a system avatar -- or were a furry, or whatever.

Nobody complained when I showed up at the Mercury Room in my scuba gear, dripping seawater all over the dance floor. Even the penguins were happy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's really rather lovely, Ceka, that this seems like it's news to you!

I think this is a case (and we see it a lot here) of people judging SL as a whole from their own narrow experience or values. There are, for instance, five clubs that I have gone to fairly regularly over the past few years -- in some cases, weekly -- in SL. In none of them would someone be snubbed or criticized because they were wearing a system avatar -- or were a furry, or whatever. I'm sure there are individuals at those places that might not respond favourably to an IM from someone who wasn't meshed up with the latest, but the communities themselves are really inviting and inclusive and welcoming. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them to a noob still using a system avi.

It seems odd to me that people who knowingly go places where that does matter -- where some segments of the SL resident population are unwelcome -- would express surprise that they find people there . . . unwelcoming.

I don't pay attention to someones avatar if it's mesh or not when I get IM'd, I never have really.. A lot of the people I talk to don't even have a lot of their profiles filled out..

I am meeting new people every day.. That joke I made about the 10k, That was half me kidding and half true.. it had just happened right before I came to the forums.. hehehehe

I still held a conversation with him.. He's the one that never came back to the IM after BRB'ing me, because he finally realized after an hour of trying, he wasn't getting anywhere.. hehehe

When I'm in the mood to talk, I feel sorry for the ones on the other end.. When I'm in a mood where i just want to be left alone.. I'll probably still answer, but they best be ready to carry the conversation and take it somewhere  besides , how's it going..

I have new members and older members IMing me  all the time at the beaches.. Those are the best place to go to meet people..  Sure there are a lot of hard legs, but that's anywhere ya go.. there are a lot of people there for the same reasons as me.. To relax and  listen to music and  chat or whatever.. I like swimming, it's really relaxing.. hehehehe

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't pay attention to someones avatar if it's mesh or not when I get IM'd, I never have really.. A lot of the people I talk to don't even have a lot of their profiles filled out..

I am meeting new people every day.. That joke I made about the 10k, That was half me kidding and half true.. it had just happened right before I came to the forums.. hehehehe

I still held a conversation with him.. He's the one that never came back to the IM after BRB'ing me, because he finally realized after an hour of trying, he wasn't getting anywhere.. hehehe

When I'm in the mood to talk, I feel sorry for the ones on the other end.. When I'm in a mood where i just want to be left alone.. I'll probably still answer, but they best be ready to carry the conversation and take it somewhere  besides , how's it going..

I have new members and older members IMing me  all the time at the beaches.. Those are the best place to go to meet people..  Sure there are a lot of hard legs, but that's anywhere ya go.. there are a lot of people there for the same reasons as me.. To relax and  listen to music and  chat or whatever.. I like swimming, it's really relaxing.. hehehehe

It's an indication of how much nicer you are than I am that you gave Mr. "Can I Pay You for Sex" a chance to redeem himself -- which it sounds as though he did, at least a bit?

My clubs sound a bit like your beaches. Tonight, I went, as I almost always do, on my usual Sunday night club date at The Mercury Room, which Maddy mentioned above. She was there too tonight, as she often is (although not, tonight, in scuba gear). It's a lovely club, there's wonderful vintage jazz, and the people are lovely and welcoming. Tonight I was IMed by two women I'd never spoken to before -- one someone I've seen there before, but never interacted with, and the other a newcomer to the club. I don't know that I made two new friends, but it was just . . . nice. I like people.

Maddy was surprisingly unembarrassing tonight too! She danced for the first time with a friend of mine she doesn't know terribly well, and, from what she said afterwards, had a lovely conversation with him (as I'd expect: he's a lovely man).

Oh, and I looked adorable tonight. (Ask Maddy!) 😎

So, yeah, a success! And mostly because of people.

ETA: Forgot to mention that, after clubbing, Maddy talked in IM for a half an hour with my date about plumbing.

No, seriously. She did.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

OMG We can has teams?? \o/  What the Freaking  EFF!!

I been playing single player this whole time and nobody telled meh?? I has sooooo much disappoint now..............................

suddenly it occurs to me that what SL really needs is Guilds! 

anyone need a tank? my DPS is not bad too...

• Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Am I the only one reading the OP as humorous, like as written, not laugh at but laugh with? It seems absurd, in the best possible meaning of the word.

37 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I thought this too! xD

Not per Scylla! Hard to argue with that.

ETA: I'm certain someone will be along shortly to tell us what "The real question is".

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
9 hours ago, Randall Ahren said:

I didn't make the rules, I just suffer under them like everyone else.

Everyone? Even after the counterexamples in this thread?

There are no rules, just people. If you can't read them, they won't write back.

Everyone has to suffer through this, at least.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Am I the only one reading the OP as humorous, like as written, not laugh at but laugh with? It seems absurd, in the best possible meaning of the word.

Considering I've run into some who act/think like that elsewhere ... Yeah, no. Not erring on that end.

• Like 1

I've never heard of any of these rules, either. Like Ceka and Scylla, I think my SL experience is just a lot different.

Do I have friends who live in busy mode? Yup! I just toss an angsty NY accent into my message - "STOP BEING BUSY I'M TALKIN' HEAAA" - and they respond immediately, if they are indeed at the keyboard, lol.

Socializing with others out and about requires less effort than all that.

And I agree with Ceka about beaches. I've had some great conversations with people hanging out at places like that. I'm long over the SL nightclub scene seeing as how the types of clubs/DJs I like barely exist on the grid, so I'm more likely to go walk around a busy beach or somewhere else outdoorsy instead. I've also met people at shopping events (of course) and in stores (of course). Shopping convos are mostly short little things - usually the "OMG your hair aaaaaah you look amazing. Thank you, you like it? Yeees, where's it from? It's on SALE GIRL, here! *drops landmark* Omg thanks so much, you're the best!" variety. Short & sweet. Or sometimes, I'll run into a newbie who needs some help navigating the wild world of avatar customization and I'll spend a half hour or longer shopping with them. Stuff like that.

I guess I don't go to places where people zone out much.

8 hours ago, Randall Ahren said:

Why do people say "nopers" and "yeppers" in SL? I've never encountered that anywhere else.

That's pretty old. It's early 2000s MMO/chatspeak that's since morphed into modern-day Twitch-speak (in emoji form, anyway).

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.