I Can't Pause My Game

Randall Ahren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Am I the only one reading the OP as humorous, like as written, not laugh at but laugh with? It seems absurd, in the best possible meaning of the word.

4 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I thought this too! xD

Scylla assures us that this person doesn't have any humor in him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I guess I don't go to places where people zone out much.

I've gone to meet markets where everybody seems lost in IM. I'll jump into the moribund public chat and just fire away until someone surfaces. I've heard so many people complain about such places that I figure there must be someone in the crowd waiting for a crack to open in the silence.

Sometimes ya gotta be that crack.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I always have my auto response for non-friends on, stating that I'm afk or busy and that I'll answer asap. That's the only way to keep myself sane in SL.

Sane... have you considered chemistry as a protective measure over an AFK message?

I am pretty sure if you remain sane you'll miss half the fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I've gone to meet markets where everybody seems lost in IM. I'll jump into the moribund public chat and just fire away until someone surfaces. I've heard so many people complain about such places that I figure there must be someone in the crowd waiting for a crack to open in the silence.

Sometimes ya gotta be that crack.

That's true. There are sims where people do stand around chatting in IMs. But I've never been slapped with hostility or anything when socializing with them.

And it's true - if you start chatting in local, it's not too difficult to coax people out there with you. I've seen that happen a lot.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

When one thinks about it, clubbing in SL is really a remarkably artificial and even, one might argue, pointless exercise.

There we all are, pretending to be moving to music we'd be able to hear better through an online streaming service or YouTube, in an environment that most often looks either like a beer-sodden dive of the sort we'd never go into in RL, or the basement of student frat house.

And it's all code. It's all an illusion, it's all pretense . . . except for two things. The music, and the people. And the music we can hear better elsewhere.

The people, on the other hand, are irreplaceable and unique.

I like "dancing" in SL -- I have nice animations, and I enjoying watching my reasonably attractive and stylishly-dressed avatar "moving" to the music. And I often enjoy the music.

But it's the people I go for, because I've established very real and often quite deep friendships at these places, and built for myself a place in the lovely, warm, caring communities that the better clubs foster.

Remove those, and all you really have left at such places is . . . code.

The-Matrix-Has-You.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Randall Ahren said:

The rules aren't written down. You have to deduce them by observing resident behavior and forum posts. One rule is that you must be meshed up. If you're not meshed, then you're a nobody and all your IMs are justifiably ignored.

Incorrect, at least in my experience. I have NEVER been dissed because of not having an all-mesh avatar. In fact, my classic avatar outfits have often gotten compliments, and people have asked more than once what mesh I'm wearing to get that look.

Now, these days, I HAVE gone all mesh, but that is mainly because ***I*** wanted the extra features of the Bento mesh heads and bodies, not because there's some "in group" out there that I wanted to join.

Granted, there are people out there who are mesh snobs, but I find them to be a small minority.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That joke I made about the 10k, That was half me kidding and half true.. it had just happened right before I came to the forums.. hehehehe

I still held a conversation with him.. He's the one that never came back to the IM after BRB'ing me, because he finally realized after an hour of trying, he wasn't getting anywhere.

Dang, your morals are a lot more...um, moral than mine. $L10K? Gosh, Ceka, give him MY number why doncha?

(Of course, after being lectured pedantically by me, telling him he's taking off his clothes wrong, showing him how to do a proper chat emote, when to change the bed's animation, pacing...he'd probably regret me in the morning.)

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Randall Ahren said:

Why do people say "nopers" and "yeppers" in SL? I've never encountered that anywhere else.

I've never encounter those words in SL at all nor used them in SL but YMMV.

If you are consistently getting ignored or no responses after messaging someone who has Busy set, it sounds like it might be your approach?  How do you generally start your IMs to someone?  As countless threads have mentioned, a simple 'Hi' does get ignored by a lot of people.  I don't mind a Hi but please have something to follow up.   Snide comments as first contact are ignored.   

• Like 4

21 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Never heard of these "new rules".   The whole idea sounds ridiculous.  You want to pretend you are available for chatting with folks, but then make fun of anyone that might IM you. 

Were you one of the bullies of your school?

/me adds Randall to her list of folks to ignore inworld.

This. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Incorrect, at least in my experience. I have NEVER been dissed because of not having an all-mesh avatar. In fact, my classic avatar outfits have often gotten compliments, and people have asked more than once what mesh I'm wearing to get that look.

Now, these days, I HAVE gone all mesh, but that is mainly because ***I*** wanted the extra features of the Bento mesh heads and bodies, not because there's some "in group" out there that I wanted to join.

Granted, there are people out there who are mesh snobs, but I find them to be a small minority.

I’d do the classic, I have so many clothes! But the hands are always spread out no matter what ao I use. I don’t know how to fix that. 

• Like 3

I'm sorry if any part of this thread has become somewhat derailed because of my suggestion that the OP was not employing humour. It was made in response to the suggestion that he was being "ironic," and it's an important point because our read of the intent of the OP determines how we respond to it. I'm not seeing any irony or humour, nor would I expect to see much of that from the poster in question, but if you can find hilarity in his OP and his subsequent posts, then enjoy enjoy!

For me, the main takeaway of this thread is that, generally, you experience the kind of SL that you yourself construct through your own interactions with it. If you're socially very gregarious (and, in a general way, I am, I suppose), you'll find SL mostly to be a really welcoming social environment, with lots of people who want to interact with you.

If you are less interested in social engagement -- which is of course also fine -- then there are lots of ways to ensure that that is the kind of SL you are immersed in.

What I do find rather ironic (unintentionally so) is the argument that SL is a terrible place because the people are unfriendly, when made by someone who admits to ignoring IMs from others. Although that too is an instance of what I've just said: if your own behaviour is actually antisocial and maybe a bit unpleasant . . . well, surprise! That's the kind of SL you too will experience.

All of this is a strength of SL. The power to engage socially, or not if one chooses not to, and still find it a fulfilling and worthwhile experience is one of the things that makes this platform a success, I think.

Your SL, and mine, are mirrors reflecting the diversity of the approaches that we each bring individually to it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Not per Scylla! Hard to argue with that.

Yeahhhhh... not so much. :)
I've been arguing with @Scylla Rhiadra since  (checks avatar stats) 2010. It's fairly easy. Go on, try it!  (She's got a blind spot in her left peripheral sight; you can exploit that... YW)

yes-no.gif

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm sorry if any part of this thread has become somewhat derailed because of my suggestion that the OP was not employing humour. It was made in response to the suggestion that he was being "ironic," and it's an important point because our read of the intent of the OP determines how we respond to it. I'm not seeing any irony or humour, nor would I expect to see much of that from the poster in question, but if you can find hilarity in his OP and his subsequent posts, then enjoy enjoy!

Despite my quip to Love (above), I'm not really arguing with you. I tend to operate under the premise that we do not, and CAN not know someone else's intent. To state emphatically that the OP is kidding or serious or ironic or... can't be done. We can state emphatically how we interpret (read) it. To me the OP was hilarious, possibly unintentionally so. 

Until anyone explicitly tells us their intent, we can't know. Even then, we have to choose to believe what they say or not. It is easy to lie about intent.

So, for me, I'm reading it as a farce until told otherwise, and I have chuckled.  Then again, I'm grumpy and an introvert and I kinda hate people (while wanting to like them, but, gah "people!" have you met them?)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Seicher Rae said:

I tend to operate under the premise that we do not, and CAN not know someone else's intent.

We can make guesses, and operate on those. (We don't always have to turn it into a philosophical question as some do. "What is life? What is truth? What is the real question? What is irony? What is humor?" Etc.)  

Sometimes, an "apparently pointless" OP doesn't lead to "derails" - just discussion in the simple form of: "if they mean this, here's my response".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Despite my quip to Love (above), I'm not really arguing with you. I tend to operate under the premise that we do not, and CAN not know someone else's intent. To state emphatically that the OP is kidding or serious or ironic or... can't be done. We can state emphatically how we interpret (read) it. To me the OP was hilarious, possibly unintentionally so. 

Until anyone explicitly tells us their intent, we can't know. Even then, we have to choose to believe what they say or not. It is easy to lie about intent.

So, for me, I'm reading it as a farce until told otherwise, and I have chuckled.  Then again, I'm grumpy and an introvert and I kinda hate people (while wanting to like them, but, gah "people!" have you met them?)

Yes, fair.

Ultimately, the OP is important only insofar as it has sparked a conversation about sociability in SL. What Randall or you or I think personally isn't nearly as important or interesting as the larger picture that has emerged from everyone's contributions.

I've found it pretty interesting! I love how discussions like this can assist sometimes rather vague intuitions cohere into something more meaningful.

And btw, I'm only faking the peripheral vision thing, so that you drop your guard.

And you can't "prove" otherwise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.