I Can't Pause My Game

Randall Ahren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I played SL according to the new rules last night. You dress your avatar attractively, park it at a busy venue, open a new window and play a more exciting game like Valorant or Fortnite. SL is like fishing. It's boring AF. So you toss your hook in the water and while waiting  for a bite, play another game. If you get a bite, you pause your game and scan the IM.

The problem though, is that you can't pause your game. In Fortnite or Valorant, you'll get killed and let your squad down and that's inconsiderate to your team. So you just have to ignore those IMs. It's not like its another person that sent the IM. It's probably a creep or someone with an unoriginal opening line like "hi" or "hello". F that.

But if you get an IM, that means you win because you fooled someone into messaging your AFK avatar. And I won last night.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

Multitasking is overrated. Commit to one leisure activity at a time. When you're in the mood for action, play the games. When you're in the mood for chilling, chatting, exploring the virtual world, dressing up your avatar or sorting inventory, then play in SL.  I have one friend in SL who's only half in SL while he's working or playing another game, and it's frustrating how long it takes him to respond to text. If you can't be bothered to be in SL, then don't be.

• Like 17

43 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

I played SL according to the new rules last night. You dress your avatar attractively, park it at a busy venue, open a new window and play a more exciting game

<snip>

But if you get an IM, that means you win because you fooled someone into messaging your AFK avatar. 

Never heard of these "new rules".   The whole idea sounds ridiculous.  You want to pretend you are available for chatting with folks, but then make fun of anyone that might IM you. 

Were you one of the bullies of your school?

/me adds Randall to her list of folks to ignore inworld.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Never heard of these "new rules".   The whole idea sounds ridiculous.  You want to pretend you are available for chatting with folks, but then make fun of anyone that might IM you. 

Were you one of the bullies of your school?

/me adds Randall to her list of folks to ignore inworld.

You mean, post was not joke?

When one thinks about it, clubbing in SL is really a remarkably artificial and even, one might argue, pointless exercise.

There we all are, pretending to be moving to music we'd be able to hear better through an online streaming service or YouTube, in an environment that most often looks either like a beer-sodden dive of the sort we'd never go into in RL, or the basement of student frat house.

And it's all code. It's all an illusion, it's all pretense . . . except for two things. The music, and the people. And the music we can hear better elsewhere.

The people, on the other hand, are irreplaceable and unique.

I like "dancing" in SL -- I have nice animations, and I enjoying watching my reasonably attractive and stylishly-dressed avatar "moving" to the music. And I often enjoy the music.

But it's the people I go for, because I've established very real and often quite deep friendships at these places, and built for myself a place in the lovely, warm, caring communities that the better clubs foster.

Remove those, and all you really have left at such places is . . . code.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Randall Ahren said:

I played SL according to the new rules last night. You dress your avatar attractively, park it at a busy venue, open a new window and play a more exciting game like Valorant or Fortnite. SL is like fishing. It's boring AF. So you toss your hook in the water and while waiting  for a bite, play another game. If you get a bite, you pause your game and scan the IM.

The problem though, is that you can't pause your game. In Fortnite or Valorant, you'll get killed and let your squad down and that's inconsiderate to your team. So you just have to ignore those IMs. It's not like its another person that sent the IM. It's probably a creep or someone with an unoriginal opening line like "hi" or "hello". F that.

But if you get an IM, that means you win because you fooled someone into messaging your AFK avatar. And I won last night.

SL is never more than one personally makes of it.
Half arsed attempts give half arsed results.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

When one thinks about it, clubbing in SL is really a remarkably artificial and even, one might argue, pointless exercise.

There we all are, pretending to be moving to music we'd be able to hear better through an online streaming service or YouTube, in an environment that most often looks either like a beer-sodden dive of the sort we'd never go into in RL, or the basement of student frat house.

And it's all code. It's all an illusion, it's all pretense . . . except for two things. The music, and the people. And the music we can hear better elsewhere.

I like "dancing" in SL -- I have nice animations, and I enjoying watching my reasonably attractive and stylishly-dressed avatar "moving" to the music. And I often enjoy the music.

But it's the people I go for, because I've established very real and often quite deep friendships at these places, and built for myself a place in the lovely, warm, caring communities that the better clubs foster.

Remove those, and all you really have left at such places is . . . code.

Right now? I like the clubs with knowledgeable DJs, so there's a person affecting what music I hear.

Other than that, right now? Keep that DJ in SL to 'spin' and the rest of the people can sod off and let me enjoy the code.

I might, just possibly, be in a mood.

• Like 2

Pick up your PC mouse, and speak into it firmly and clearly, "Computer, pause!" If it does not work at first, repeat while raising your voice on each attempt. 

ETA: I see now, it's not Second Life you wish to pause. Good luck! Screaming into your computer mouse is still a good suggestion, though.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 5

51 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Right now? I like the clubs with knowledgeable DJs, so there's a person affecting what music I hear.

Other than that, right now? Keep that DJ in SL to 'spin' and the rest of the people can sod off and let me enjoy the code.

I might, just possibly, be in a mood.

Lol

No, I get that. There are two or three DJs in SL I somewhat follow who are very knowledgeable, and from whom I have picked up now favourite songs and bands.

I wasn't really dismissing the music, but rather suggesting that there are other sources for that (I have found some wonderful playlists on Spotify, for instance), whereas the people are, literally, unique. 

I also get that there are people who are not as gregarious as me, and I know there are some who go to clubs just to listen to music. That was not the context of the OP, however, to which I was responding.

YMMV,  however, certainly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Randall Ahren said:

I won last night.

Me too!

I think several people around me did as well. That's the point. Engaging others is a collaborative effort, not a competitive one. I don't expect anyone here to be more present than I am. If I can make someone laugh or smile, I've already recouped my investment in them. If they make me laugh or smile in return, that's all bonus.

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

...and they're the reason many of us are here, winning together.

• Thanks 3

Some guy just IM me and I was at home and not even at a club..

He said Ceka, I want to take you shopping.. I said why would you want to take me shopping, if we never even talked before..

He said, because of your profile.. He said, What would you do if I gave you 10k..

I said, Well.. The first thing is, ask why are you wanting to give me 10k?

Then he said, I think you have a good idea why..

I said , yes I do.. Like everyone else that offers me  money like this.. You just want me to wash your car like all the others.. You guys are all the SAME!! \o/

Then he said, no ceka I swear, I only wanted to have sex with you..

I said, LIAR!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

7 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Multitasking is overrated. Commit to one leisure activity at a time.

Multitasking is here to stay. A commitment to a single leisure activity at a time is not going to work. Observe how long the average commitments last in SL between marriage partners. When SL comes up with compelling game play that demands my focused attention, it will get it. For now, if I play, I'm playing the way the majority of residents are already playing SL. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Randall Ahren said:

For now, if I play, I'm playing the way the majority of residents are already playing SL.

Now, the funny thing is, this hasn't been at all my experience in SL.

Personally, when I message or hail someone in SL, I'd say I have at least an 80% success rate in getting a response. If it's someone I know from the forums, or Flickr, or elsewhere, it's probably close to 99% success.

And the funny thing is . . . that 1% who didn't respond?

Well, ironically, Randall, that would mostly be . . . you.

I know I've mentioned it before, and it's probably pretty boring now and all, but you keep coming back to post about rude and unresponsive other SL residents are, so I feel sort of compelled to remind you that on at least 2, and I think actually probably 3 occasions, I've tried to chat with you in IM or local chat in-world. Not recently -- I'm not a glutton for punishment, so I've stopped doing it when I've seen you at Fogbound or wherever.

But it is rather funny and ironic, isn't it?

Now, I don't want you to think that being ignored by you on these occasions has left me in tears or anything. It's fine! You're allowed to ignore, or block me! It's your prerogative totally.

But it does occur to me that there just might be a connection, cause and effect, perhaps, between how you seem to treat people in-world (as I've noted from my own experience, and from what you've recounted in your OP), and how you get treated? Just a thought?

So, because I want to redeem your lost faith in SL humanity, I'm going to make an offer! IM me in-world, and I'll say hi back! And be pleasant and everything. It's an offer that is open to anyone on this forum, but I especially want to offer it to you!

Sometimes the problem with misanthropy is that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, maybe?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.