Meta | They Asked For It!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Why do I see a shameless self-promotion when I read between the large print? 🤔

It actually meant to be funny. My warped sense of humor.

But yes, the meta twitter account has some pretty good traffic, and some of that might end up on my site.
However, this is not the kind of traffic which converts into sales, hence pretty useless as a self promotion.

Traffic that converts comes almost entirely from Google searches and reddit in my case. All other traffic is just nice to have (including twitter and the forums).

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

Don't worry, with 10 billion invested into it when technologies will allow, you will have legs and more.

I don't think so.

My guess is, that Marc Z. wants to make it impossible to create adult content on his metaverse,
hence the reason the avatars have no lower body part.

• Like 6

No is not that. It is simply that is all VR focused and there aren't sensors for legs. It isn't the only VR metaverse doing this.
What people didn't get is that what we saw was a first version. As I said Meta invested 10 billion in it (just to start)
I know the company, I read their quarterly report and follow it since I'm invested in it. Meta is the only option to have a real "mainstream" metaverse.
This doesn't mean they will manage, they could fail, as in the past they all failed, including Second Life that during the 2005-2009 period was way way more popular and now is a "niche" product. But Meta, of course, doesn't want to be just a niche, that's the hard part, while SL can work just how it is until people still log in for some reason.

Edited by Antonioo Giano
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Caroline Takeda said:

I don't think so.

My guess is, that Marc Z. wants to make it impossible to create adult content on his metaverse,

ZUKERBLOB, his name is ZUKERBLOB.  He came from hell (or was it California, I can never remember) specifically to destroy the human race.

• Haha 3

10 billion to invest and they won't invest some millions doing the one thing that would make them a threat to SL. That would be subsidizing content creators to make items until the user base got big enough to pay them enough to not need it. And by subsidize, I mean pay them well, better even than they do in SL. Sure, it might take a few years, but once it got rolling, they'd be pretty much unstoppable. Oh yeah, and they need to deal with adult activities.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Caroline Takeda said:

Where do you have access to Meta's metaverse to be able to determine that legs do not exist?

Their metaverse has not been created yet and the concepts shown for it clearly show Zuckerberg as dressing a full avatar with legs, a meeting with other people with legs, etc. Here are some pics for you of their proposed metaverse concepts... I see legs...

220204120927-14-facebook-connect-live-event-1028-screenshot-exlarge-169.jpg220204121056-15-facebook-connect-live-event-1028-screenshot-exlarge-169.jpg

So I am unsure as to why you think they propose not to have legs in their metaverse unless you somehow have insider knowledge that they dont.

Also before you start posting pics or vids of Meta's metaverse you are wrong. Horizons VR which is made by Meta is not the metaverse they are proposing, already exists, is old tech and not a metaverse at all. People seem to confuse Horizons with the proposed metaverse for some reason.

Microsoft's metaverse on the other hand has been shown not to have legs of which, as Antonioo has explained, has nothing to do with adult content but due to limitations with VR tracking and not wanting to use software walking animations like SL and VRChat do.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Antonioo Giano said:

Don't worry, with 10 billion invested into it when technologies will allow, you will have legs and more.

You'd be surprised how little corporations can achieve with so much money.

I believe that scarcity stimulates inventiveness. I also believe that excessive wealth does exactly the opposite.

Go on, Zuck, shovel a few more billions in that Black Meta hole money pit of yours, while you struggle to concoct Meta's mission statement by consulting total strangers on f**ing Twitter.

"Here's 10 billion. What are you going to do with it?

"I don't know yet. Let me ask the people on Twitter."

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

You'd be surprised how little corporations can achieve with so much money.

I believe that scarcity stimulates inventiveness. I also believe that excessive wealth does exactly the opposite.

Well as I said in another post they could be an huge flop. Meta is now on the top of the SP500 but the SP500 changed so many times doesn't mean Meta will stay forever there. This metaverse thing will be an important part for the company, they made it a trend again (as it was in the early 2000) but the chances to fail are still high.
But I'm sure they will add legs :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

Yeah I know it's a trend to hate Meta and Mark Zuckemberg.

I'm not following any trend. And I don't hate him either. I'm just avoiding Facebook, Instagram, WhatApp and anything Meta like hell. To a point that I'm even using a browser that blocks all trackers. (For reasons.)

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Drayke Newall said:

Where do you have access to Meta's metaverse to be able to determine that legs do not exist?

Their metaverse has not been created yet and the concepts shown for it clearly show Zuckerberg as dressing a full avatar with legs, a meeting with other people with legs, etc. Here are some pics for you of their proposed metaverse concepts... I see legs...

220204120927-14-facebook-connect-live-event-1028-screenshot-exlarge-169.jpg220204121056-15-facebook-connect-live-event-1028-screenshot-exlarge-169.jpg

So I am unsure as to why you think they propose not to have legs in their metaverse unless you somehow have insider knowledge that they dont.

Also before you start posting pics or vids of Meta's metaverse you are wrong. Horizons VR which is made by Meta is not the metaverse they are proposing, already exists, is old tech and not a metaverse at all. People seem to confuse Horizons with the proposed metaverse for some reason.

Microsoft's metaverse on the other hand has been shown not to have legs of which, as Antonioo has explained, has nothing to do with adult content but due to limitations with VR tracking and not wanting to use software walking animations like SL and VRChat do.

His head is huge just like in RL!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Idk I’d be willing to give it a try. I think I spend more time waiting for gray things to rez than doing anything else in SL. I’m curious what a more polished virtual world would be like. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Antonioo Giano said:

Yeah I know it's a trend to hate Meta and Mark Zuckemberg.

Every picture I've seen of it looks stupid but apparently I'm just following a trend. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, skepwith said:

Every picture I've seen of it looks stupid but apparently I'm just following a trend. 🤷‍♀️

They are probably streaming awesome music that we can't hear, and running fantastic animations that we can't see, while playing amazing HUD games only visible to the user. 

Just like in Second Life pictures!

• Haha 3

SL fits like a hand tailored suit by now, after all these years.
For now, I see no reason to start all over again as a noob in a new world.
Maybe, if it turns out to have great new features, awesome building possibilities, less of a learning curve and less expensive as SL.
Or when SL closes its gates permanently somewhere in the (far) future.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

SL fits like a hand tailored suit by now, after all these years.
For now, I see no reason to start all over again as a noob in a new world.
Maybe, if it turns out to have great new features, awesome building possibilities, less of a learning curve and less expensive as SL

I foresee this:  Just as many of us became "close friends" with others in the same class/cadre of Second Life users when we were "new", the same or similar will probably happen with the Meta thingy.

People who learn and experience the thing together for the first time, will have that in common.  This will help them build bonds, etc. 

So, I'd check it out for that reason, assuming the friends I made weren't all um..lion hunters.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I foresee this:  Just as many of us became "close friends" with others in the same class/cadre of Second Life users when we were "new", the same or similar will probably happen with the Meta thingy.

People who learn and experience the thing together for the first time, will have that in common.  This will help them build bonds, etc. 

So, I'd check it out for that reason, assuming the friends I made weren't all um..lion hunters.

Mmmm, interesting thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally I don't have any feelings about Zuckerberg in particular; any tech bro is going to be a garbage human on some level. I do think he's a huge weirdo but large amounts of money seem to do that to anyone.

Whenever I see pictures of "the metaverse" it's either some ShutterStock looking person wearing VR goggles and smiling, or it's inside some digital world where people are having a meeting in some Star Trek looking conference room or hovering over some buildings and pointing excitedly at...something? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they get amazing frame rates for that meeting or whatever. But it all just looks boring.

Remember about 10 years ago when someone pointed out how many stock photos there are of women laughing alone with salad? Every picture of a VR variant I've seen has a similar quality, where you just find it hard to believe that anyone in the picture is actually having as good of a time as they're trying to look like they're having.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.