Meta | They Asked For It!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, skepwith said:

you just find it hard to believe that anyone in the picture is actually having as good of a time as they're trying to look like they're having.

You should see my face as I slosh through a poorly built shopping event region…

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Antonioo Giano said:

Yeah I know it's a trend to hate Meta and Mark Zuckemberg.

I think you should be cautious, as they do collect data on you and sell it to other companies, purportedly for advertising purposes but according to some it has been used for more sinister goals. This doesn't keep me from exploring Horizon Worlds though, as all virtual realities have their upsides and downsides.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think you should be cautious, as they do collect data on you and sell it to other companies, purportedly for advertising purposes but according to some it has been used for more sinister goals. This doesn't keep me from exploring Horizon Worlds though, as all virtual realities have their upsides and downsides.

USA company, under USA legislation... "sinister goals".
Guys, I know this topic could start another argue so I'm trying to avoid it, but this is what I meant with the "trend" to hate Meta and Mark Zuckemberg. People writing ramdom stuff "according to some". I live in the real world. I read quarterly reports, I read official news, I follow companies, economy and macroeconomy real stuff. Not the cospiracy theorist stuff they write on Facebook about Facebook. Everyone is free to think as they like, I'm for the progress, not against it. I will look forward to see what Meta does with his Metaverse as investor and potential user and all matters for me are facts, numbers and real/official news. That's all.

Edited by Antonioo Giano
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:
17 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Guys, I know this topic could start another argue so I'm trying to avoid it, but this is what I meant with the "trend" to hate Meta and Mark Zuckemberg. People writing ramdom stuff "according to some". I live in the real world. I read quarterly reports, I read official news, I follow companies, economy and macroecony real stuff. Not the cospiracy theorist stuff they write on Facebook about Facebook. Everyone is free to think as they like, I'm for the progress, not against it. I will look forward to see what Meta does with his Metaverse as investor and potential user and all matters for me are facts, numbers and real/official news. That's all.

You might also watch the news, pay attention to Senate hearings in the USA, and research valid privacy concerns many have as the Metaverse evolves:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/05/congress-demands-mark-zuckerberg-answer-questions-at-haugen-hearing.html

* Not appreciative of your labeling my concerns as being part of some conspiracy theory or my knowledge being equated to what is posted at Facebook.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, don't worry. I'm aware of any news that always comes out for Meta. And guess what? They are always fine at the end, that matters.
You are free to hate them, I don't mind, I'm not Meta founder or CEO unfortunately, just a small shareholder. But while you and many others keep hating them they keep going, making billions and investing billions in new technologies. That matters to me as an investor and potential user as I already said.

7 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

Guys, I know this topic could start another argue so I'm trying to avoid it, but this is what I meant with the "trend" to hate Meta and Mark Zuckemberg. People writing ramdom stuff "according to some". I live in the real world. I read quarterly reports, I read official news, I follow companies, economy and macroeconomy real stuff. Not the cospiracy theorist stuff they write on Facebook about Facebook. Everyone is free to think as they like, I'm for the progress, not against it. I will look forward to see what Meta does with his Metaverse as investor and potential user and all matters for me are facts, numbers and real/official news. That's all.

The difference between conspiracy theory and reality is about 6 months.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Antonioo Giano said:

Yes, don't worry. I'm aware of any news that always comes out for Meta. And guess what? They are always fine at the end, that matters.
You are free to hate them, I don't mind, I'm not Meta founder or CEO unfortunately, just a small shareholder. But while you and many others keep hating them they keep going, making billions and investing billions in new technologies. That matters to me as an investor and potential user as I already said.

I'm not one who ever said I hated them.  I said I thought people should be cautious, as we always should be toward those who have money and power that could affect our lives negatively.

They don't have a good track record regarding respecting privacy. This cold change. I'm watching.

• Like 2

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

I'm not one who ever said I hated them.  I said I thought people should be cautious, as we always should be toward those who have money and power that could affect our lives negatively.

They don't have a good track record regarding respecting privacy. This cold change. I'm watching.

Do you realize how this is "so common" and a clichè? Hating people with money... Stuff you see in movies. Evil corpos doing bad stuff etc. In reality? They are just rich people having companies that make billions and improve our lives. Socials can be used in many different ways and they helped many people in so different ways. Same with other things other big companies gave to us.
And a part from this we are all free to use or not their services, so I don't see how that can impact negatively a person or the world.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:
12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Do you realize how this is "so common" and a clichè? Hating people with money... Stuff you see in movies. Evil corpos doing bad stuff etc. In reality? They are just rich people having companies that make billions and improve our lives. Socials can be used in many different ways and they helped many people in so different ways. Same with other things other big companies gave to us.
And a part from this we are all free to use or not their services, so I don't see how that can impact negatively a person or the world.

So you're not aware that oil companies knew climate change was occurring yet continued to do everything they could to rake in profit, leading us to the climate disasters we see unfolding, getting worse and worse each year?

Large companies only care about profit, and they externalize costs. We are paying the price.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

So you're not aware that oil companies knew climate change was occurring yet continued to do everything they could to rake in profit, leading us to the climate disasters we see unfolding, getting worse and worse each year?

Large companies only care about profit, and they externalize costs. We are paying the price.

So what was your option if there was no technology available? Come back to use horses?
We are shifting towards the "electric", it will take time but oil companies are already less "big and influential" than they were. Exxon was the biggest company in the SP500 for many many years today is 12th Chevron is 19th. Your example is not pertinent, oil is essential but everyone knows the bad effects can give. The worst thing Meta can do to you is to show not pertinent ads on your homepage like if you want to buy a toy for your nephew and Meta thinks you are full of kids and show you toys ads for a week.

Edited by Antonioo Giano
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Antonioo Giano said:

Good. Best of luck with your investment.
But I'm not impressed with Facebook and not with the virtual world it tries to create so far.
So there is very little chance to see me hanging around there. As the current situation is, I will not contribute to the growth of your investments.
And yes, dating mining and combining is a thingy for me, that needs attention.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

Good. Best of luck with your investment.
But I'm not impressed with Facebook and not with the virtual world it tries to create so far.
So there is very little chance to see me hanging around there.

Those are personal opinions based on a few images and videos. And as I said I know many people like to be "against the masses" and say they will not join the Metaverse of Meta, as they say, they don't use Facebook, Instagram and Whatsapp, fine that's a choice. What matters is that over a billion users do and that they invested 10 billion into the metaverse. Facts and numbers. Many investors disliked this and Meta stocks went down a lot lately.
My opinion is that a metaverse can work just if is populated, with other companies involved, with people creating stuff and for now just Meta can achieve that. We aren't in the position to understand the potential, so saying now is good or bad it just doesn't much sense because is just getting started. When Facebook didn't exist was crazy to think to share personal pics on the internet, was actually suggested to never do it, now people share everything about their life with millions of users/followers around the world. The world change and things change, whether we like it or not. We can decide if we want to follow the progress or if we want to live in the past, luckily in most of the countries we are free to choose, a person could decide to go to live on a mountain without internet, without cars, technology etc.. and avoit it all. Hopefully in our life we will also get rid of oil and cars will be all electric so nothing can impact us in a bad way even if we decide to go on a mountain and avoid any form of technology.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

The worst thing Meta can do to you is to show not pertinent ads on your homepage like if you want to buy a toy for your nephew and Meta thinks you are full of kids and show you toys ads for a week.

They could do far worst, I'm sure there is money to be made for compiling all of your personal data and selling it for quite a profit.  Health insurance companies may be interested in your search history, I mean, you are an investment and if it is going to cost them a small fortune to pay for your cancer treatment, they might deny you if you have a pattern of searching for cancer related information.  Your future landlord may decide that your searches on pest control may find that you are a risk and deny your application, future employers may see you complained about your previous job, and likewise see you as a risk.

I think people are a bit more worried than the simple ads, it is the intrusion of their lives, and having that data collected and stored.  The potential harm that could come of it, I don't blame them and share the same concerns, even though I don't touch social media.  I think it may just be a matter of time, before an opportunist makes it possible to sell all of your data, and there is quite a bit of money to be made.  Imagine an app on our phones, that listed all of your personal information, your likes, your political beliefs, your religious views, etc, all for the cheap price of $19.99 a month..  Anyone could get it, and viola, you just lost any sense of privacy you may have once had.  That is some black mirror style poo right there.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

They could do far worst, I'm sure there is money to be made for compiling all of your personal data and selling it for quite a profit.  Health insurance companies may be interested in your search history, I mean, you are an investment and if it is going to cost them a small fortune to pay for your cancer treatment, they might deny you if you have a pattern of searching for cancer related information.  Your future landlord may decide that your searches on pest control may find that you are a risk and deny your application, future employers may see you complained about your previous job, and likewise see you as a risk.

I think people are a bit more worried than simple ads, it is the intrusion of their lives, and having that data collected.  The potential harm that could come of it, I don't blame them and share the same concerns, even though I don't touch social media.  I think it may just be a matter of time, before an opportunist makes it possible to sell all of your data, and there is quite a bit of money to be made.  Imagine an app on our phones, that listed all of your personal information, your likes, your political beliefs, your religious views, etc, all for the cheap price of $19.99 a month..

When and if governments will allow that I'm pretty sure we will be free to delete our accounts and avoid using Meta or any other service that sells our data.
For how it is today I refer to this: https://www.facebook.com/privacy/center/

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

So what was your option if there was no technology available? Come back to use horses?
We are shifting towards the "electric", it will take time but oil companies are already less "big and influential" than they were. Exxon was the biggest company in the SP500 for many many years today is 12th Chevron is 19th. Your example is not pertinent, oil is essential but everyone knows the bad effects can give.

We have placed profit before people for a very long time, and we are beginning to pay the price. Oil companies could have spent their vast profits on developing better forms of energy that didn't harm the environment so much. Instead, they placed value in short-term profit.

Go back to the horse?  If this keeps up all the horses will be dead too.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

The worst thing Meta can do to you is to show not pertinent ads on your homepage like if you want to buy a toy for your nephew and Meta thinks you are full of kids and show you toys ads for a week.

AG Racine Sues Mark Zuckerberg for Failing to Protect Millions of Users' Data, Misleading Privacy Practices
https://oag.dc.gov/release/ag-racine-sues-mark-zuckerberg-failing-protect

"WASHINGTON, D.C. – Attorney General Karl A. Racine today sued Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg for directly participating in decision-making that allowed the Cambridge Analytica data breach – the largest consumer privacy scandal in the nation’s history – while Facebook misled users with claims of privacy and data protection.

In the lawsuit, the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) recounts evidence compiled across a sweeping investigation to allege Mr. Zuckerberg contributed to Facebook’s lax oversight of user data and implementation of misleading privacy agreements. As a result, it allowed third-parties, such as political consulting firm Cambridge Analytica, to obtain personal data from 87 million Americans, including over half of District residents, and use that data to manipulate the 2016 election". 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I think people are a bit more worried than the simple ads, it is the intrusion of their lives, and having that data collected and stored.  The potential harm that could come of it, I don't blame them and share the same concerns, even though I don't touch social media.  I think it may just be a matter of time, before an opportunist makes it possible to sell all of your data, and there is quite a bit of money to be made.

Yes!

The data broker claimed they stopped selling this data, but not sure they did, and you can see the danger clearly with making profit from our data:

Data Broker Is Selling Location Data of People Who Visit Abortion Clinics
It costs just over $160 to get a week's worth of data on where people who visited Planned Parenthood came from, and where they went afterwards.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7vzjb/location-data-abortion-clinics-safegraph-planned-parenthood

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

AG Racine Sues Mark Zuckerberg for Failing to Protect Millions of Users' Data, Misleading Privacy Practices
https://oag.dc.gov/release/ag-racine-sues-mark-zuckerberg-failing-protect

"WASHINGTON, D.C. – Attorney General Karl A. Racine today sued Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg for directly participating in decision-making that allowed the Cambridge Analytica data breach – the largest consumer privacy scandal in the nation’s history – while Facebook misled users with claims of privacy and data protection.

In the lawsuit, the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) recounts evidence compiled across a sweeping investigation to allege Mr. Zuckerberg contributed to Facebook’s lax oversight of user data and implementation of misleading privacy agreements. As a result, it allowed third-parties, such as political consulting firm Cambridge Analytica, to obtain personal data from 87 million Americans, including over half of District residents, and use that data to manipulate the 2016 election". 

I told you, you wiill find thousands of stuff like this about Meta, Mark Zuckerberg blabla. Happens all the time. We don't even notice anymore.
I'm happy to discuss if you have REAL arguments and FACTS. Like Mark Zuckember that goes to jail because took all our datas. Not those links that are completely useless.

Edited by Antonioo Giano

Anything you sign up for or register for collects data on you. MySpace did it, Facebook does it, google does it, your cell provider, internet provider, cable provider. It even happens within SL. If you ever purchased a product in SL from a vendor that uses a 3rd party then they have data on you. At least I don’t have to worry about Facebook posting in a group chat how much I spent at a store. (Ya this happened to me).

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

The funny thing about being deeply immersed in an ideology that you're unaware of is that everyone else seems like they're deeply immersed in an ideology that they're unaware of.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

When and if governments will allow that I'm pretty sure we will be free to delete our accounts and avoid using Meta or any other service that sells our data.
For how it is today I refer to this: https://www.facebook.com/privacy/center/

What makes you think it isn't happening already? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Finite said:

Anything you sign up for or register for collects data on you. MySpace did it, Facebook does it, google does it, your cell provider, internet provider, cable provider. It even happens within SL. If you ever purchased a product in SL from a vendor that uses a 3rd party then they have data on you. At least I don’t have to worry about Facebook posting in a group chat how much I spent at a store. (Ya this happened to me).

Google does exactly the same, they have the same business. But most of the people doesn't even know that. The trend is to hate Meta.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

I told you, you wiill find thousands of stuff like this about Meta, Mark Zuckerberg blabla. Happens all the time. We don't even notice anymore.
Edit: Oh ok you posted twice, the mention was for another one.

Yes, and kind of a major one, to say the least.  Unless you like living in an autocratic society without human rights.

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

What makes you think it isn't happening already? 

What makes you think is happening?
If you have PROOFS and FACTS that is happening, that Meta sells all our data to "someone" hiding this info from us, from the quarterly report not adding those "gains" into balance sheets etc.. risking going to jail etc. Then show to us and sue them because it would be completely illegal.
Until me, you and nobody else has PROOFS then is not happening.
F A C T S not theories.

Edited by Antonioo Giano
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.