Female avis are getting smaller and smaller? 0.0

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

It's not my furniture :)

I figured you'd make better stuff, yeah.

I will say that @Penny Pattonis spot on when she says you can get a really small room with the right camera. I've made plenty of 10x10x4 rooms and had no trouble moving around them with a bunch of stuff in there.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I figured you'd make better stuff, yeah.

I will say that @Penny Pattonis spot on when she says you can get a really small room with the right camera. I've made plenty of 10x10x4 rooms and had no trouble moving around them with a bunch of stuff in there.

how tall is your avatar? Are you sporting a flat top or something? :P

The only real limitation to avatar height is the length of the female arms and to a lesser extent the female torso length. There is just a dead stop on that. We can't change the default maximum length of the sliders in debug or with any FS magic in settings. So that is the honest dead stop. The default camera settings are super easy to adjust. It's just a no brainer. To keep demanding that we use default camera settings and then adjust everything else, with no regard to realistic female proportion is ludicrous.

• Like 3

It's all well and good to say that avatars should be realistically proportioned.  But in practice, if everyone you interact with is 7 feet tall or so, then you look like a child or a dwarf when you try to be 5.5 feet tall.  I'm shorter than most of the avatars I interact with yet I'm tall compared to the heights I've seen reported here.  The thing is though, I'm not really  6'4".  If I put a ruler up to my computer screen, I'm not even 5 inches tall, just because the slider says I'm 6'4 doesn't mean a darn thing.  So I don't worry about it.  I like the way I look in SL and that's why I look that way.

ETA I know my legs are rather long for the rest of me but I don't really care. 

Edited by kali Wylder
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I think he was measuring in meters.

I'm confused now.. Were we supposed to make a 12m x 12m x 9m room before?

Because I could totally move really easy  in that with stuff in it..

That's me in the corner of a 12mx12 prim

12mx12x_001.png.04ad84dee15a876ce84b03a8573a5f74.png

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

12m high, right?

I think he said 9 high.

I thought Phil was talking about realistic room sizes with an avatar at their RL size in like a bedroom.

12mx12mx9m bedroom size isn't realistic for most peoples bedroom size in RL..

I can run around in a room that size in both world  lol

• Thanks 1

He said 12 x 12 foot room. I honestly chuckled. A really small bedroom might be 12 x 12 feet in RL, but that's a small room. Really small. I think he even said a 20 foot living room is unrealistically big for RL.

I don't think there's a need to build things that are 1 to 1 scale, but we can certainly adjust the camera and build homes smaller that aren't caverns masquerading as homes. There are creators who began scaling things down, including homes, over the past few years since the implementation of mesh. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

He said 12 x 12 foot room. I honestly chuckled. A really small bedroom might be 12 x 12 feet in RL, but that's a small room. Really small. I think he even said a 20 foot living room is unrealistically big for RL.

I don't think there's a need to build things that are 1 to 1 scale, but we can certainly adjust the camera and build homes smaller that aren't caverns masquerading as homes. There are creators who began scaling things down, including homes, over the past few years since the implementation of mesh. 

Maybe small apartments / flats are the norm in Phil's area.

49 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Feet? I knew this will not end well before the walk-through.

roomexperiemnt.jpg.e87311152296ed1ea28bcc0ec65ffd59.jpg

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe small apartments / flats are the norm in Phil's area.

Some of the small ranch stick homes, I guess they are called post war homes too.. The rooms in them are small like that  but with an 8' ceiling.

We bought one in town that is made of brick when we seen prices going up a few years ago. it's small in there..

Any time i think to myself about it being small, I think back to the camper we had to live in, for what felt like a year while our house was getting built.. That thing was small, especially for four people.. lol

5 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Feet? I knew this will not end well before the walk-through.

roomexperiemnt.jpg.e87311152296ed1ea28bcc0ec65ffd59.jpg

You can walk through my tree house if you like.. Here let me try and reach that handle and get the door for you..

hehehe

This is why I have so much more room for activities..

185522813_RLVSetup1_001.png.a87315a4c6a2cdd024dfdcac45891f9d.png

That's me way over there.

I really should make a Keebler elf avatar hehehe

1056536012_RLVSetup1_006.thumb.png.c2b1a446b4349d0797cec5c2ce45e0d4.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You can walk through my tree house if you like.. Here let me try and reach that handle and get the door for you..

hehehe

This is why I have so much more room for activities..

That's me way over there.

I really should make a Keebler elf avatar hehehe

1056536012_RLVSetup1_006.thumb.png.c2b1a446b4349d0797cec5c2ce45e0d4.png

You gotta love the size and height of some doors and ceilings.  🤣

SLdoorsizes01.thumb.jpg.2fc0a227f4cd9578dff5163aa3199da9.jpg

SLdoorsizes02.thumb.jpg.d58ae04f43d63ba2df713235573a0466.jpg

The ceiling's so high in this one I couldn't squeeze it into the shot:

original_62ac02e423a0bd36f16c9598.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2022 at 8:14 AM, Marianne Little said:

I have tried to use another camera position than the default several times. I think I heard about it many years ago, from a forum member @Pussycat Catnapor a similar name.

But I can't get used to it. It feels so wrong. I think I was in SL too many years before I tried it.

I can adapt to other things, but not to another camera position. I wish I could, because I see the benefits of having the camera under the ceiling, not through the ceiling.

Is it some tiny, tiny change I can do? If I can overcome this, I need to take baby steps, and not the extreme change others do.

Remember. You can ease into a change. Using the Firestorm viewer press the Shift-key and mouse-wheel to move the camera up and down. You can press Ctrl-key and mouse-wheel to move the direction the camera is looking up and down. Press the ESC-key to quickly revert back to something closer to your default view... The changes you make using the mouse-wheel stick from session to session.

Pressing Ctrl-Esc TWICE returns you to your 'saved' default Rear-View settings.

When I first came into SL I was using the default camera settings. I tried changing to alternate settings more like what I use now. But I was hanging with friends from Myst-Uru and when sitting during meetings the alternate settings were a pain. But I like to shop in SL. And changing the camera settings made that experience so much nicer! With practice I became much more camera proficient and now change camera settings all the time, for flying, sailing, shopping, in laggy places, for photos... But I do have a basic setting I use most of the time.

What we get used to and live with often isn't all that great. But the point of SL is to have fun and enjoy. I just encourage to experiment.

=========================

And then there is Phill. If you aren't totally explicit, he seems to miss the meat of what you are saying. Especially if it challenges his position. So, I made this tongue in cheek response:

I never really changed the camera settings from what I normally use. I do show changing the field of view so I could see more of my feet and the near-ground in front of me. And you'll notice the camera is a ways behind me. Still not a problem in the little cube.

I mouse-steer in SL. So when walking I can move the camera up and down and wheel in and out without breaking stride. Except when lag bites me I can literally navigate better in SL than in my friend's RL 14-wide mobile-home that he has stuffed a queen-size bed in.

The camera bangs the walls and recovers. Even a noobie would be OK.

Changing field of view is easy and very handy when flying some copters and navigating other tight spaces.

At one point I bought a SpaceNavigator. It was when I was doing lots of SL video. I use it to cam through shopping events. So, I think building smaller is great.

While I provide reasons for why I think building to RL sizes is a good thing, and Penny gave her reasoning, Phil sticks with his "It doesn't work well." I think enough of us have spoken to dispel that idea.

-----------------------------------------

Avatar Size.... I got curious about Phil's claim that few people in SL are real-sized. I don't think any one other than the Lindens can actually know. I thought I would do some checking.

image.thumb.jpeg.667173bde36177a275a3642653e90409.jpeg

First, I needed to measure my avatar. Today with these heels I am 1.92m or 6.3ft or 6’-3.6”. Barefoot I top out at 5’-10-11".

Then I did some fancy camera work. I needed to have the camera looking in a plane at a known height. A plane is defined by 3 points. I use a distant object at the same height as the top of my avatar’s head. I them pull the camera up to where the top of my head matches the point, placing the point, my head, and the camera in a plane. The camera is kept horizontal by the viewer. I can now draw a horizontal line across the top of my avie’s head and it shows the plane that extends through the room.

I traveled to 3 or 4 crowded places to see how things stack up. What I learned is guys are tall and women are shorter. 🙄 Duh!

But a good number of people are in the ~6' range and there are plenty of shorter avatars. I got the impression newer avatars are taller. More experienced avatars are shorter. And I couldn't see a correlation between time in SL and avatar height.

Of course this is a TINY sample to base any thinking on. But my experiment in 4 popular places backs up my experience that in my circles women tend to be in the 5' to 6' range and more RL sized.

Oh... and I *****ed the Addams photo of the experiment because I like Addams clothes and their display panels make the measurement easy and I can look any direction and pick a reference. And I think they have a mix of new and old avatars. But, I don't know that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

The ceiling's so high in this one I couldn't squeeze it into the shot:

original_62ac02e423a0bd36f16c9598.png

I remember that from last year! I was flying around inside, it was like Freebie Galaxy 🙂

If anyone wants to feel like a tiny, check out Ocean Restaurant...I can't remember how I ended up there, but the chairs are taller than my 5.9ft avatar :S

But the good side is you don't get that effect where you walk upstairs and around a corner, and your avatar suddenly disappears and all you see is wall or ceiling...

• Like 2

I know that, since my last post, there have been a few posts quoting me, but I finished discussing it when I made my previous post, so I haven't read them.

As far as I am concerned, RL-sized rooms can be used but with too much difficulty, which makes them very unsatisfactory. SL-sized rooms are much better. That's my view, and it's not open for discussion with me. Talking can continue forever, and get precisely nowhere, which is what this topic has done for many years.

That's me done with it this time around :)

Edited by Phil Deakins

16 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I know that, since my last post, there have been a few posts quoting me, but I finished discussing it when I made my previous post, so I haven't read them.

As far as I am concerned, RL-sized rooms can be used but with too much difficulty, which makes them very unsatisfactory. SL-sized rooms are much better. That's my view, and it's not open for discussion with me. Talking can continue forever, and get precisely nowhere, which is what this topic has done for many years.

I'm quoting you so I can say, Made  you look :P

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I said you'd be back.

Caaaaaaalled it!

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.