James Webb Space Telescope - First images coming tomorrow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

I always had a hard time wrapping my head around the 'big bang theory' How a partical that existed in nothingess could explose so massively into nothingess and keep expanding into nothingess

There was no particle. It was just nothingness. No matter, no time, and not even any space for the nothingness to be in. Nothing at all.

Edited by Phil Deakins

19 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:
19 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

New conspiracy theory...maths is a lie! 😵

image.thumb.jpeg.9cbe69875425c8ea3f647087fa47b6e6.jpeg

Damn....... Ok, Who's the one that showed Jethro how to use the intranets?

LL is bad at the maths, remember? Jethro Bodine was pretty good at it, he always "carried the noughts"!

Interestingly, teh goggle tells me "nought" is a Britishm.  The helps confirm some of my theories! (Jethro was a genius, supposedly "backwoods" settler-types had a lot more in common with original settlers than people think, etc.)

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

LL is bad at the maths, remember? Jethro Bodine was pretty good at it, he always "carried the noughts"!

Interestingly, teh goggle tells me "nought" is a Britishm.  The helps confirm some of my theories! (Jethro was a genius, supposedly "backwoods" settler-types had a lot more in common with original settlers than people think, etc.)

I loved when he did his gus intas hehehehe

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I loved when he did his gus intas hehehehe

I don't remember that, but I do remember Jethrine!

(I think Max Baer Jr. did it better, than Michael J. Fox playing his own daughter Marlene in BTTF.)

Ohhh! Do you mean something like, 'goes-intos'? I did not remember that at all, but one of my workmates uses "goesintas" a lot!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Damn....... Ok, Who's the one that showed Jethro how to use the intranets?

The funny thing is in Mathematics there is a Discipline that is closely related to Philosophy that debates things like why does 1+1=2 and not 11 the reason of course is it's the numerical system we use.

what is fun to think about is why do we use base 10? its not that efficient which is why we end up with repeating 3s

If you ever want your mind blown look up Babylonian mathematics they used a Sexagesimal number system (Base 60!) and were sometimes as a result able to calculate things to amazing levels of accuracy

babylonian_base60_numbers-1248730681.jpg

46 minutes ago, Vanessa Amethyst said:

The funny thing is in Mathematics there is a Discipline that is closely related to Philosophy that debates things like why does 1+1=2 and not 11 the reason of course is it's the numerical system we use.

what is fun to think about is why do we use base 10? its not that efficient which is why we end up with repeating 3s

If you ever want your mind blown look up Babylonian mathematics they used a Sexagesimal number system (Base 60!) and were sometimes as a result able to calculate things to amazing levels of accuracy

babylonian_base60_numbers-1248730681.jpg

I was just being silly with Rat..  hehehehe

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 3:26 AM, Finite said:

35 billions Light years away. The universe is 13b years old. I bet this cooks many noodles. :D

The answer is very simple IMHO, just like the speed of sound, the speed of light will in the end turn out to only be a barrier in our human knowledge and imagination.
But who has the guts to publish a theory that 'proves' that people like Einstein made mistakes in their assumptions?

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

And Rat deleted their post 😞 but it was interesting!!

I thought it might be a bit off-topic or seem like I was making fun of people who just want to talk about the telescope...I do dislike maths, though, it hurts my head 😧

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

The answer is very simple IMHO, just like the speed of sound, the speed of light will in the end turn out to only be a barrier in our human knowledge and imagination.
But who has the guts to publish a theory that 'proves' that people like Einstein made mistakes in their assumptions?

Einstein has already been proven wrong. He didn't think black holes could exist even though his equations predicted them. He even wrote a paper on why he didn't think they existed.

12 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Nooo, not you...probably the wrong thread, I just didn't know where else to put it, lol.

This thread seems pretty forgibing so far, what they think we are going to do, post just about telesnoops?

I mean, NERDS!

If it wasn't for the absolutely true but horrifying absolute fact that NERDS are schmexy, as revealed in the holy scriptural film "Revenge of the Nerds".  But..NERDS! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Finite said:

Einstein has already been proven wrong. He didn't think black holes could exist even though his equations predicted them. He even wrote a paper on why he didn't think they existed.

Somebody took his theories and poked it full of..holes.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

telesnoops

🤣

When life is getting me down and I feel stupid, I will look at these scientists and think..."They're just telesnoops" 🙂

But the images are still amazing 👍

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

🤣

When life is getting me down and I feel stupid, I will look at these scientists and think..."They're just telesnoops" 🙂

But the images are still amazing 👍

All them fancy-schmansy sciontisks, with their fancy scionce..

When I was a cub, our scionce was roks! Rok scionce! 

Get off my savannah! (Is lion for "lawn")

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.