The Erosion Of Civil Rights, Including Its Effects On SL And Other Online Venues

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Extrude Ragu said:

That's just how I feel about it.

32 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I'm sorry but that's just how I feel, it doesn't really matter to me that science boffins say they're not a living being, to me it is a baby. It's got nothing to do with politics, I am honestly being sincere, this is genuinely just how I feel.

No one is asking you to feel differently.

And if it's your uterus, and your pregnancy, you should absolutely have the right to determine for yourself how to approach it.

What neither you nor the state has a right to do is to impose your "feelings" about what is happening to my body, on me.

That's why we call it "pro-choice." Every woman gets to make her own choice, according to the dictates of her own conscience and circumstances.

Conservatives are supposed to be all about individual freedoms, right? I want you to have free choice in this matter, because it's your body.

And I insist upon it for myself, because this is mine.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"And politics should have no place in religion."

As long as the religion does not break any laws or infringe upon anyone's human rights, i agree that it should remain anyone's free choice to follow any religion they choose and no government interference is needed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Interestingly enough, more Americans support the right to choose yet politicians across the country aren't listening to the majority.

How Americans Really Feel About Abortion: The Sometimes Surprising Poll Results As Supreme Court Overturns Roe V. Wade (forbes.com)

: Gallup polls show Americans’ support for abortion in all or most cases at 80% in May 2021, only sightly higher than in 1975 (76%), and the Pew Research Center finds 59% of adults believe abortion should be legal, compared to 60% in 1995—though there has been fluctuation, with support dropping to a low of 47% in 2009.

What I find most interesting is that for the numbers to be that high, it has to include people that lean right. Makes you wonder who the politicians are actually listening to.

Also @Dyna Moleis more forgiving a moderator than I would be. This is as relevant to SL as... Well, if I started a thread about being able to wear a gun in more SL regions thanks to the other recent ruling.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Also @Dyna Moleis more forgiving a moderator than I would be. This is as relevant to SL as... Well, if I started a thread about being able to wear a gun in more SL regions thanks to the other recent ruling.

I follow an SL resident on Twitter who posts a pic every time he goes to an SL event where guns are for sale. He says he won't shop at events that promote gun culture.

I'm totally with him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Jules Catlyn said:
36 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"And politics should have no place in religion."

As long as the religion does not break any laws or infringe upon anyone's human rights, i agree that it should remain anyone's free choice to follow any religion they choose and no government interference is needed. 

Nope..sorry! What is means is, Religions should "stay out of politics" - not try to influence politics - not push political views - not support candidates or parties or platforms. 

Politics and religion are supposed to be "separate". This is why churches aren't "taxed" in the U.S. (At least by my understanding.)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

This is as relevant to SL as... Well, if I started a thread about being able to wear a gun in more SL regions thanks to the other recent ruling.

I suppose, but please don't. 🙂 

No matter how immersed you may be in SL, you can't leave your RL alt entirely on the other end of the Internet portal.  There are other places -- social platforms -- where people are much less kind to each other than they are here. I guess I'd rather hope that we can talk about some troublesome issues safely here, because they do color the way we see each other, even in SL.

I am a Christian , recovering catholic and female. I want the church and state to stay out of my reproductive decisions.  BUT suddenly we see 2 clear answers we should focus on.

1. Prayer , for ourselves and our country.

2. The power of our voice/vote.

That's all we have left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Extrude Ragu said:

When I think about abortion, I imagine myself as a baby yet to be born in my mothers womb.

Terminations of pregnancy generally aren't performed where there is a "baby" involved. Quite often there isn't even a fetus.

Women's rights are being eroded in so many ways right now, but this is just life threatening.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Nope..sorry! What is means is, Religions should "stay out of politics" - not try to influence politics - not push political views - not support candidates or parties or platforms. 

Politics and religion are supposed to be "separate". This is why churches aren't "taxed" in the U.S. (At least by my understanding.)

And what part of my statement makes you believe i do not agree with this?

Any income should be taxed though.

14 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I guess I'd rather hope that we can talk about some troublesome issues safely here, because they do color the way we see each other, even in SL.

We can, as long as they conform to the majority opinion. Everyone else gets shamed and vilified.

ETA: not just this topic but any controversial topic posted on the forum.

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:
16 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I guess I'd rather hope that we can talk about some troublesome issues safely here, because they do color the way we see each other, even in SL.

We can, as long as they conform to the majority opinion. Everyone else gets shamed and vilified.

I pledge not to shame or vilify anyone.  If you do too, that's two of us. Gotta start somewhere.  :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

2 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

As someone often attacked by both sides, I definitely hear that.

• Like 3

If religious extremists succeed, and they might with the help of SCOTUS, and take full power then SL will cease to be as it is a forum that cannot be controlled and information sharing is frowned upon by fascists as why all "news" is state controlled in autocrat countries. That we can talk to people from every continent and country is opposed to the autocrat way. 

The entire way we communicate and share information will be dismantled and a system put into place that is controlled and monitored much like TFG's Truth wanna be twitter thing.

This isn't the first time this has happened in the US. Happened right before the civil war and also in the 1920's going into the 1930's.
People get frightened that they are not going to be the majority and in charge and they do what is happening now. Same happend in the 1850's and 1920's. 

There is only one solution. Split into two. Left can draft a modern day constitution and the right can join the Taliban or Russia. Maybe be a colony of North Korea. It is very hard to over-rule SCOTUS and they can and have decided elections and have done it in our lifetime. If all of the votes were counted then Gore would have won. SCOTUS stopped the count and declared Bush winner and President.  

The other solution which no one wants to look at or even put up for discussion is let red be red and let blue be blue. 
Federal government isn't really necessary other than for defense. Federal government will always upset 1/2 the country and 1/2 the states. If states can just be who they are then we would be far better but there isn't much of a call to dissolve the federal government and keep politics local. 

Excuse the typos and nonsensical sentences. It's been a long day.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marius Darkheart said:

The other solution which no one wants to look at or even put up for discussion is let red be red and let blue be blue. 

Absolutely not.  I know because I’m already seeing the current repercussions  of what will happen if there is zero federal oversight, guidance, standards.  And it bodes horrific things in store for the unprotected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's a profoundly privileged stance to take that anyone who wants to move to an area with better protections can financially or can relinquish family obligations to do so. My state has doubled down on voting against its own self interests since the 1990s, and I can't leave because my elderly parents and First Life spouse's are both in poor health.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

It's a profoundly privileged stance to take that anyone who wants to move to an area with better protections can financially or can relinquish family obligations to do so. My state has doubled down on voting against its own self interests since the 1990s, and I can't leave because my elderly parents and First Life spouse's are both in poor health.

Similarly, the idea that women who want or need an abortion can "simply" go to another state to get it. Personal and job commitments, not to mention a lack of financial resources, often make this either impossible or enormously onerous.

So, as usual, it will be those who are already the least powerful and affluent who suffer the most.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Similarly, the idea that women who want or need an abortion can "simply" go to another state to get it. Personal and job commitments, not to mention a lack of financial resources, often make this either impossible or enormously onerous.

Not to mention "waiting period" laws put in place to infantilize people who need abortion care.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Absolutely not.  I know because I’m already seeing the current repercussions  of what will happen if there is zero federal oversight, guidance, standards.  And it bodes horrific things in store for the unprotected.

People would need to make a decision about the state they live in and if it matches their beliefs and way of life.
While yes the red states would be and already are terrible for healthcare and health rights. Not much would change. They are already what make up the bottom for not only healthcare but also education, wages, employment. 
But one way you or the other you are still forcing one side to be what they do not want or believe in. Doesn't seem fair or right or a recipe for staying united.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Marius Darkheart said:

People would need to make a decision about the state they live in and if it matches their beliefs and way of life.
While yes the red states would be and already are terrible for healthcare and health rights. Not much would change. They are already what make up the bottom for not only healthcare but also education, wages, employment. 
But one way you or the other you are still forcing one side to be what they do not want or believe in. Doesn't seem fair or right or a recipe for staying united.

When people with uteruses have bodily autonomy (or the right to contraception, which the regressives are already talking about overturning, or the right to sexually partner with people of the same gender identity, or the right to marry a partner no matter their biological sex or gender identity, or any number of Roe precedent rulings that are in danger RIGHT NOW), people on the other side aren't "forced" to do anything. They're not forced into abortions, they're not shoved haphazardly into gay marriages, nobody's putting a gun to their heads and forcing them to have an IUD. This is a false equivalence. 

Edited by Blaise Glendevon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Marius Darkheart said:

People would need to make a decision about the state they live in and if it matches their beliefs and way of life

when advocating separation on non-amicable terms, then is best to look at previous attempts at this.  For example. the partitioning of East and West Pakistan from India didn't work out to well. Nor did the partitioning of Yugoslavia.  Nor has the partitioning of the USSR been all that great for Ukrainian people

for those who don't move when a country is partitioned then matters tend to get worse for them. They get treated as the enemy in the land of their birth

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

When people with uteruses have bodily autonomy (or the right to contraception, which the regressives are already talking about overturning, or the right to sexually partner with people of the same gender identity, or the right to marry a partner no matter their biological sex or gender identity, or any number of Roe precedent rulings that are in danger RIGHT NOW), people on the other side aren't "forced" to do anything. They're not forced into abortions, they're not shoved haphazardly into gay marriages, nobody's putting a gun to their heads and forcing them to have an IUD. This is a false equivalence. 

That choice didn't work as why they took the choice away. So they are happy that the choice is gone as having that choice there brought on a 50 year fight to get the religious right in power to eliminate it entirely which will happen. It is far better to leave it in the states where it is wanted rather than force it on states that do not want it so that at least 1/2 have adequate healthcare. 
Local politics is far better as the community decides on their own rather than some out of towner dictating what is done. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Marius Darkheart said:

That choice didn't work as why they took the choice away. So they are happy that the choice is gone as having that choice there brought on a 50 year fight to get the religious right in power to eliminate it entirely which will happen. It is far better to leave it in the states where it is wanted rather than force it on states that do not want it so that at least 1/2 have adequate healthcare. 
Local politics is far better as the community decides on their own rather than some out of towner dictating what is done. 

You mean the locals get to write their bigotry into the statutes?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mollymews said:

when advocating separation on non-amicable terms, then is best to look at previous attempts at this.  For example. the partitioning of East and West Pakistan from India didn't work out to well. Nor did the partitioning of Yugoslavia.  Nor has the partitioning of the USSR been all that great for Ukrainian people

for those who don't move when a country is partitioned then matters tend to get worse for them. They get treated as the enemy in the land of their birth

I never said partition or having east and west. Said to let states decide on their own and let the people decide.

All have a good night. Not a friendly crowd in here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.