Fees are too high!(?)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Also another big thing, we are spending 1000s of dollars just to see one picture in a virtual art gallery. That the creator provided you the link for. You don't get to keep your investment, and when they want to change the image. That link is bunk. That would be like me going to the Louvre, and paying 1000s of dollars just to have access to the mona lisa. Lol 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 5:15 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Besides yearning for the past, you apparently have little understand of today's real world finances.  There are many, many people in SL that cannot afford to pay $99 a month for a piece of virtual property with a virtual house on it.  In some countries, $99 is a literal fortune.

I'm  one of those people that can't afford £99 a month. I only get £200-ish a fortnight,  £50 of that is rent which is also a fortnight,  £15 a month for my share of the internet/tv/phone bill.

add in about roughly £21-27 of travel expenses this year for college travel and I have juuust enough for small  luxuries but certainly not a peice of virtual land for that amount of money.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I want to do something online with lots of other people, play house, dress up and have fun - Go play Final Fantasy, or WoW, or both. You will have stuff to do all day every day for years, meet an orders of magnitude more people, spend less money, and still be able to mess about playing barbie or RP.

Don't you have to actually play the game which entails blood, gore and guts? I don't play those kinds of games. I see enough of that in real with having to look at it online, too.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Don't you have to actually play the game which entails blood, gore and guts? I don't play those kinds of games. I see enough of that in real with having to look at it online, too.

I'm the suuuuuuuuuuuper squeamish type, but there are actually lots and lots of multiplayer games you can play with other people that don't involve anything that intense at all. 

Fall Guys, Stardew Valley (there's a teensy bit of combat but it's all pixelated and not graphic), Jackbox party games, Gang Beasts (that's a funny one!), Human Fall Flat, various fishing games, Minecraft, Fortnite (yup there's shooting but no blood and when you die you just glitch out and disappear), Overcooked 1 and 2, car racing stuffs, Rocket League, etc.

Lots, really.

Oh, quick edit: Massively multiplayer is a slightly different category. For some of the ones I listed, you'd need to bring in your own peoples. But there are some fairly chill massively multiplayer games, too. Fall Guys is definitely up there and you can jump in totally alone and still be with lots of people. It's also going free-to-play later this month.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Clarifyin'
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Robin Kiyori said:

I'm  one of those people that can't afford £99 a month. I only get £200-ish a fortnight,  £50 of that is rent which is also a fortnight,  £15 a month for my share of the internet/tv/phone bill.

add in about roughly £21-27 of travel expenses this year for college travel and I have juuust enough for small  luxuries but certainly not a peice of virtual land for that amount of money.

I think he clarified pages back that he meant $99USD a year. I think...something like that.

Anyway, your point still stands. $99/year might still be too much for someone on a tight budget (especially if their entertainment budget is already filled with streaming services and whatnot).

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'm the suuuuuuuuuuuper squeamish type, but there are actually lots and lots of multiplayer games you can play with other people that don't involve anything that intense at all. 

Fall Guys, Stardew Valley (there's a teensy bit of combat but it's all pixelated and not graphic), Jackbox party games, Gang Beasts (that's a funny one!), Human Fall Flat, various fishing games, Minecraft, Fortnite (yup there's shooting but no blood and when you die you just glitch out and disappear), Overcooked 1 and 2, car racing stuffs, Rocket League, etc.

Lots, really.

Oh, quick edit: Massively multiplayer is a slightly different category. For some of the ones I listed, you'd need to bring in your own peoples. But there are some fairly chill massively multiplayer games, too. Fall Guys is definitely up there and you can jump in totally alone and still be with lots of people. It's also going free-to-play later this month.

I'm not squeamish. I'm just tired of seeing it every day on every episode.

I've been playing MMOs for over 20 years now. None of those you listed have any appeal for me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm not squeamish. I'm just tired of seeing it every day on every episode.

I've been playing MMOs for over 20 years now. None of those you listed have any appeal for me. 

Oh! Wait! My bad, I do remember you saying once that you played MMOs, too. Oops! I swear my memory. 😂 Sorry about that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Eeeeeeehhhhhh .. There isn't really blood and gore in wow, it's very cartoonish and the game is more story driven and technical, like don't stand in fire and don't pull everything all at once, if you can do that you're already better than half the people playing. As for actually needing to play .. you kinda do, but you also kinda don't ..  I spend far more time goofing off fishing and chatting atm than actual game stuff I'm supposed to doing ... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Jackbox is great -- fun and hilarious -- for those who, like me, detest Cards against Humanity.

But yeah . . . different category of game entirely really.

Oh man. I play everything. Ok well almost (not horror). Let's...let's not talk about my insane collection - much of it free, thanks to Epic giving away like, everything over the course of several years now.

Btw, totally off-topic for a sec, but if you're a fan of that, check out Use Your Words (it's on Steam and consoles I believe). That game's amazing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Thank you! I guess the NFT graph is most confusing, assuming it's the third graph. Ignorant me expected a big drop off at the end.

No, the "third graph" is a second part of the Bitcoin chart, showing volume. The graph above it shows price. You don't see the "big drop off" because that is a long-term chart and it doesn't show the price action of recent weeks. Besides, the scale is too small.

I didn't include an NFT chart because I couldn't find one.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

No, the "third graph" is a second part of the Bitcoin chart, showing volume. The graph above it shows price. You don't see the "big drop off" because that is a long-term chart and it doesn't show the price action of recent weeks. Besides, the scale is too small.

I didn't include an NFT chart because I couldn't find one.

Right! So, even without the NFT's, my point in asking is: that long term, the LindeX sure is stable compared to the BTC!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Right! So, even without the NFT's, my point in asking is: that long term, the LindeX sure is stable compared to the BTC!

Absolutely it is and there's a reason for that.  It's "managed" and I would bet heavily.  Cannot do that with currency trades on an open market.

• Like 3

2 thoughts on "1-time purchase" with "no fees" (did not recall seeing elsewhere in the thread):

1. SL vs. RL "Home". Yes, you can make a "1-time purchase" to buy a real-life home. You will still need to pay utilities, maintenance, and taxes.

2. SL vs OpenSim. Yes, you can buy your own server and use OpenSim as an alternative to Second Life. Even if your internet bill does not go up, you will still need to pay for increased electricity usage, hardware maintenance / upgrades, any OS licensing fees, etc,

My point: having Second Life with a "1-time purchase" just doesn't add up when you think about it compared to other situations.

*Edit* Clarification: Just because there's a "one time purchase", does not mean there is a "one-time expense"!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Absolutely it is and there's a reason for that.  It's "managed" and I would bet heavily.  Cannot do that with currency trades on an open market.

"Managed" similar to how companies "buy back" their own stock to help prices. Maybe, as an example.

• Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

"Managed" similar to how companies "buy back" their own stock to help prices. Maybe, as an example.

In a similar but lesser way I'd warrant.  However LL must have way more control.  They don't have to answer to any financial oversight on this stuff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

This is such an important point.

Blockchain-based VR, NFTs, and crypto are all built upon the assumption that a completely unregulated free market should determine value. Now, some of the cryptocurrencies are finding themselves having to back away from that in order to create some stability as the value of their currencies plummet, of course.

SL, in the early days, didn't use blockchain, but the Linden dollar was unregulated -- at first. LL started intervening when they recognized that a stable currency was vital to a stable, healthy in-world economy, as Lindal's helpful graphic shows.

It's almost a case of "been there, done that." They're hardly going to go back to a type of currency that they already know creates economic chaos.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

59 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is such an important point.

Blockchain-based VR, NFTs, and crypto are all built upon the assumption that a completely unregulated free market should determine value. Now, some of the cryptocurrencies are finding themselves having to back away from that in order to create some stability as the value of their currencies plummet, of course.

SL, in the early days, didn't use blockchain, but the Linden dollar was unregulated -- at first. LL started intervening when they recognized that a stable currency was vital to a stable, healthy in-world economy, as Lindal's helpful graphic shows.

It's almost a case of "been there, done that." They're hardly going to go back to a type of currency that they already know creates economic chaos.

Heard on news yesterday, that one crypto as part of their feature, let people borrow against their balance. Oopsie! No loans for now, sorry..

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

image.png.2c68c455a631044292650eb184853e

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

SL's early economy was speculators and day traders playing the market.

Taking the wind out of those sales also popped the hype bubble and the media moved on looking for the next moon pony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2022 at 2:10 AM, Antonioo Giano said:

Yes but my "question" (which wasn't a question) was meant for a full SIM, not for a parcel, which of course.. is cheaper to rent :)
As I said my focus is not about what I do in SL, or to get a sim cheaper to make my home. But to make people that are able to build amazing things that can improve the experience in SL for everyone.
But hey if the majority of people are ok with how SL is now and they think it could last longer-term and LL thinks that everything is good, i'm not here to make anyone change their mind, is just a discussion topic and I was expecting the majority of people would disagree with it. But I want to clarify what the focus of my topic was.
If I want a home for myself I just pay 99usd per year and get my 1024 sqm Linden Home which is totally affordable for everyone. But again. Is not that the problem I'm pointing at :D

A few years ago, a friend of mine had an idea for a "place", she had a vision. She put details about her vision in her profile. Three months later someone approached her because a friend of a friend had read her profile, and offered to fund her vision by buying her a region and paying the fees for an agreed period of time.

She proceeded to build a new, interesting location that attracted a lot of people and gave many people pleasure.

If someone has a passion to create something amazing there are many others happy to help and none of it requires reducing the price of regions.

What is required first is passion and a vision and the ability to communicate this to others.

Have a lovely day,

Space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

How does any of this help SL users do anything we can already do quickly, easily and for predictable sums of money. In short, provide benefit for the actual people who actually use SL. I'm sure it would be great fun for speculators, but then no one is playing SL anymore.

Yesterday, the New York Times  report on the demise of Celsius Network included these quotes...

“DeFi is a house of cards,” said Cory Klippsten, the chief executive of Swan Bitcoin, a financial services firm focused on Bitcoin. “It’s speculation on speculation, and there’s no real-world use case for any of this stuff.”

“For Celsius, like the rest of the crypto marketplace, there exists no regulatory oversight, no consumer protections, no net capital requirements,” said John Reed Stark, a former Securities and Exchange Commission official and a vocal critic of the industry. “It’s not just the Wild West — it’s global financial anarchy.”

By most definitions, crypto is not actual money, as it cannot be used to pay for (legal) goods and services, most notably, your taxes.

Warren Buffet and Charlie Munger are happy to report zero exposure to crypto, finding it an "unproductive asset" and a "greater fool investment". At least the Dutch of 1637 could enjoy their fancy tulips and gold can be used to shield spacecraft.

<digression> Amy Shira Teitel has a delightful and informative piece on the so-called tulip bubble </digression>

bitcoin price.PNG

Edited by diamond Marchant
added bitcoin price graph
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.