Some random thoughts on Breedables (especially Kreatures)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

-First off, I'll just say that whoever thought of the idea of Breedables in Second Life was a real genius! They sure earned their keep! I'm obsessed with what I'll get next!

-Next, as you may know, the Breedables called Kreatures consist of stylized bear cubs, wolf pups, and lion cubs that can mate with each other. Lion cubs, huh? Why does the song "I Just Can't Wait To Be King" from the movie, "The Lion King" always keep popping into my head when I'm looking at my Kreatures?

• Like 2

I have grown to love my KittyCats and love trying to get certain traits out of them.  It is a costly hobby though.  Even though I am now starting to finally recover some of my investment costs, I know that I'll likely never come out ahead.  I guess it is a good thing that I do it for the enjoyment rather than for the money.

• Like 2

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have grown to love my KittyCats and love trying to get certain traits out of them.  It is a costly hobby though.  Even though I am now starting to finally recover some of my investment costs, I know that I'll likely never come out ahead.  I guess it is a good thing that I do it for the enjoyment rather than for the money.

Totally agree. I also have KittyCats and I don't keep Breedables for profit, just for the enjoyment.

• Like 1

By the way -- what were the first Breedables in SL?  I know that KittyCats started their Beta in Dec 2010 and went live shortly after that.  I wasn't really in SL much in those days -- on my extended sabbatical - so no clue where/how it all started.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

By the way -- what were the first Breedables in SL?  I know that KittyCats started their Beta in Dec 2010 and went live shortly after that.  I wasn't really in SL much in those days -- on my extended sabbatical - so no clue where/how it all started.

I believe they were Sion Chickens (which I also had).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've never wanted breedables that require the owner to purchase food and other items to keep them alive. I have raised free breedable Twisted cubes though. The creator made these for the Twisted Hunt and as a beta version of for those she sold from her store. She supplied free blood to feed them and had gatchas to get new colors and types of cubes. These were fun pets to breed. I liked the horns ones on the first version. The second version had spider-like legs but didn't have horns. The best thing about these creepy little creatures was that they were largely free to raise. When some of them started dying in the second version due to a glitch, it was also funny to see their dead little spider legs sticking up in the air. I still have some packed away with bowls of blood to feed them, but they wouldn't last long if I unpacked them, because the creator probably doesn't have servers out to refresh the blood bowls any more. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

they wouldn't last long if I unpacked them, because the creator probably doesn't have servers out to refresh the blood bowls any more. 

Oh noes! Twisted Cubes are an endangered species! We Must Save The Cubes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Breedables are the one of the worst things ever added to SL.

I'm assuming this is because of the scripting. 

The nice thing about the KittyCats (maybe others also, no clue) is that they have an online storage location that can be used instead of having the cats rezzed inworld.  I use this for almost all of my cats, only sometimes having one run around inworld and then only when I am online.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Yup, if you have a few farms as neighboring parcels you can be scr*wed lag wise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2022 at 11:32 PM, Paul Hexem said:

It takes about 50 stationary breedable kittycats inworld, to create as much lag as one avatar.

Therefore:  Avatars are the one of the worst things ever added to SL.

• Haha 3

On 5/13/2022 at 9:32 AM, Paul Hexem said:

I totally agree. But also don't forget npc "babies". Maybe not all of them are THAT bad, but ones I was lucky enough to encounter as rezzed objects were beyond any sane limits on scripts. It was quite a while ago when I was still renting parcels, but those were using more than my avatar at that time. Each of them, and there were quite a few. It was more than enough to make the region I was renting at back then from "more than usable" state to a "nearly impossible to use".

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Each of them, and there were quite a few. It was more than enough to make the region I was renting at back then from "more than usable" state to a "nearly impossible to use"

And a herd of elephants in your swimming pool will create more refuse than a dragon fly....

Here is the script usage of one of my rezzed breedables - compare this with your typical mesh head/body avatar loaded with accessories,  and tell me which is worse:

[Script info: 'KittyCats - 9T-f MCPC SW Wld Vamp': [4/8] running scripts, 512 KB allowed memory size limit, 0.000971 ms of CPU time consumed.] 

The 4 running scripts are for touching to display chat text information, and keeping track of food usage locally.  Food uses one line of code about every 10 minutes. 

Total stats: 1 objects, 1 prims for one kittycat breedable:

Faces: 6
Visible: 6
Vertices: 44
Triangles: 22
Complex.: 1,598

Textures: 4
TMem: 4,864 KB
VRAM: 4,864 KB

------------------------------------------------------------

A mesh chair not in use with a few sit poses is worse: 

[Script info: 'DO Cottage Cushions': [7/7] running scripts, 448 KB allowed memory size limit, 0.001257 ms of CPU time consumed.]  And this is a very well designed mesh chair:  

Total stats: 1 objects, 2 prims

Faces: 4
Visible: 4
Vertices: 3,532
Triangles: 5,046
Complex.: 1,209

Textures: 2
TMem: 6,144 KB
VRAM: 8,192 KB

Compare this to your typical avatar...

And how about those moving leaf trees the Moles use for building in Belli? - I wish they would at least make them phantom..

Edited by Jaylinbridges

1 hour ago, Jaylinbridges said:

It takes about 50 stationary breedable kittycats inworld, to create as much lag as one avatar.

Therefore:  Avatars are the one of the worst things ever added to SL.

I said, "one of". It's not a competition.

Also, the mesh chair isn't creating physics collisions. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That's it, I hereby ban all chairs and avatars from Second Life. 

Because without avatars, there is no need for chairs!

I was reading another forum about this topic and a knowledgeable poster did say that SOME breedables are horrible for lag.  Mostly if you allow them to move and such.  The scripts being inefficient is the biggest issue.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Because without avatars, there is no need for chairs!

I was reading another forum about this topic and a knowledgeable poster did say that SOME breedables are horrible for lag.  Mostly if you allow them to move and such.  The scripts being inefficient is the biggest issue.

My suggestion will also cover "chair avatars". (As depicted on Rick and Morty.)

A3FD019A-DA8C-4B7A-80C1-AF25F818D507.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jules Catlyn said:

Nothing is worse than "tummy talkers"

Talking genitals are right up there also.  Talking genitals and talking tummies are just down right creepy.

Children that look like they are 5 or 6 and talking like babies is sure a close second.

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

The scripts are bad, but the constant physical collisions I think are probably worse.  I have a Jian skeleton puppy that I can set to non-physical so he walks right through walls.  Maybe not as realistic, but it does eliminate the physical crashing into walls stuff.  

• Like 5

In the old chicken days, there was a chicken farm on my mainland region where they were all dead. Also all twitching constantly, creating constant collisions. That was a terrible way to make a breedable and used up silly resources. I wasn't sad to see them go. The kittycats don't really cause the same issues, though I'm not keen on pets I have to feed. My only kittycat was a free forever pet one.

7 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Also, the mesh chair isn't creating physics collisions. 

And neither are the 1 prim STATIONARY 2D breedable kittycats.  Stationary means they do not move, and therefore cannot create physics collisions.

I once had 100 breedable stationary 2D 1 prim kittycats.  They used in total about 0.10 ms of script time and of course created 0.0000 ms of physics collision time. The increase in region script time was barely measurable, back when Scripts Run didn't always read 100%.

The greatest cause of physics collisions today are wandering random path animesh animals, bumping into stuff. They are not breedables, but script heavy physical pets.

Breeders don't let their animals wander.  Pet owners do.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.