About vocal communication

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 731 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I present this topic for discussion, because I've had this topic come up in some of the material I've been asked to read for my RL job:

Do you think the reason some people prefer vocal communication over text chat (in Second Life or whatever) because you can more accurately portray emotions such as sarcasm through tone of voice? If so, what can text chatters do to better display emotion through their written words?

I think text chat is indeed limited compared to voice because there is not a ready-made way to indicate tone and emotion through it than in voice. I feel this is indeed the reason why some prefer voice over text. However, I've heard of things such as emoticons, emojis, and tone indicators that can help text chatters portray emotion.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hearing loss makes voice chat an impenetrable mess, I have a hard enough time with Linden Meetings where only one person at a time is speaking.

Text can be extremely expressive and does not break the magic. Prior to voice in SL, people we're more likely to engage in local chat.

Voice chat had a deeply detrimental effect on other early virtual spaces, there.com being one I was especially familiar with. Voice was routinely used as a way to bypass reporting and moderation as there is no proof anyone said anything after the fact, from casual passing abuse to a group of guys showing up at parties and reading extremely indecent stories involving minors.

• Like 12
  • Confused 1

I have no strong preference, text-based communication does allow me more time to respond and to more precisely word those responses, but voice chat is just more convenient if you happen to be multi-tasking. 

I sometimes have SL running while I'm working on 3D models, in which case my second monitor is probably plastered with reference images (my primary display is a Wacom Cintiq so that's invariably used for whatever graphics app I'm working in at the time) and SL is hiding somewhere behind them, so anyone trying to hold a conversation with me in SL will probably have to put up with sporadic delays in my responses, but if we're chatting on voice then the conversation will probably be uninterrupted and flow more naturally.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I present this topic for discussion, because I've had this topic come up in some of the material I've been asked to read for my RL job:

Do you think the reason some people prefer vocal communication over text chat (in Second Life or whatever) because you can more accurately portray emotions such as sarcasm through tone of voice? If so, what can text chatters do to better display emotion through their written words?

I think text chat is indeed limited compared to voice because there is not a ready-made way to indicate tone and emotion through it than in voice. I feel this is indeed the reason why some prefer voice over text. However, I've heard of things such as emoticons, emojis, and tone indicators that can help text chatters portray emotion.

I simply don't believe that text chat is limited as much as some people would claim. To think so would negate the thousands of writers throughout history that affected people, inspired them, educated them, enlightened them and all sorts of positive things - all without voice.

When it comes to sensitive subjects, for me it is much safer to use the written word, because at least you can review and edit and clarify one's thinking and consider the effects much better than if you were to present it live in voice - until you get a  lot of practice with public speaking.

I've had my moments on microphone - and really it doesn't matter depending on  your audience whether you write it or not - they're ALWAYS going to take issue with what you say, because of course people don't always agree.

I am also aware how adept people have become in tuning out people's voices in real life - where people might be actively ignoring, or only paying attention passively, or half-listening and half-thinking about something else - or even just waiting for their chance to speak ( and what you are saying is just getting in the way of having their turn) - so in many cases (mainly online) sometimes text is better. For example if a chat room is very busy (many speakers on microphone/cam) I may just go to text even if I'm on the cam myself, so that I can get my thoughts out before I forget them (and not be accused of interrupting others).

In other cases, I want to hear people on mic, if it's a virtual world like Sansar, SL, VR Chat or other - the interface isn't the best for text, or people don't usually look at it. Also, for those of us who have had stalkers ourselves, people using mics negates the ability for people to befriend you without revealing who they are. No one has to reveal their indentity or dox themselves using a mic. I've had plenty of 'friends' online that I've never known them anything other than their nicknames and voice on mic and having a good time.

In all my posts I use well known writing techniques to emphasis words, to put emphasis on others, to use "quotations that are not my thoughts", to use VOICE INFLECTION(SHOUT) and sometimes emotes. :/

If text wasn't as great as video and microphone, then millions of blogs, books and magazines would not exist and video would be king.

23 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Voice chat had a deeply detrimental effect on other early virtual spaces, there.com being one I was especially familiar with. Voice was routinely used as a way to bypass reporting and moderation as there is no proof anyone said anything after the fact, from casual passing abuse to a group of guys showing up at parties and reading extremely indecent stories involving minors.

Seriously stop with the stories. What do you do and where do you go that you constantly witness such things? Come on.

Yes, and text can be a prison now as on Discord, unlike video and chat (unless recorded) can be a LIVE and UNRECORDED conversation, Discord and any other text based chat system today never goes away and people can and will use everything that you say against you, with no context.

This is where text fails, because people can pick and choose and cherry pick phrases from people they don't like and misrepresent them and people miss the entire context of the conversation.

Edited by entity0x
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

It's called emoting and people do it in RP regions every day without the use of emoticons or emojis. They use words! 😲

People who insist on voice regardless are extremely inconsiderate of those with hearing loss or full deafness. They're also quite rude about it. I've had people tell me I'm lying about my hearing as well as lying about being female. Instant ban, block, eject. In that order.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, entity0x said:

Seriously stop with the stories. What do you do and where do you go that you constantly witness such things? Come on.

I'm sorry your personal dislike for me now extends to recounting actual events and disputing my lived experiences.

Have you tried touching grass?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I'm sorry your personal dislike for me now extends to recounting actual events and disputing my lived experiences.

Have you tried touching grass?

Another accusation. And insult in the form of using 'touch grass'.

touch grass... really? Wow.

"Used when someone is doing something weird, stupid, or pointless. it means they need to come back to reality, they need to get some fresh air and get back in touch with how the real world works."

I have made it clear time and time again when I have responded to you (and have had to make strong points) that I have nothing against you, that I am not addressing you personally, but only the statements or ideas you present.

I'm okay with you disagreeing with me, and  you with me.  All I hope that happens is that we understand where each is coming from.

I'm also being as respectful and helpful as best I can to point out when you might be overly negative about something. Look up all my posts with "Coffee Pancake" referred to and the truth about my attitude towards you be revealed ..

But now, my patience is running out. You claim  you are attacked all the time, but all you do is attack. I guess there is no point to ever address you again since you keep doing this.

image.png.009b4f8c969523ed6305056c8d99d06d.png Typical disrespect that you afford others, while you continue to claim to be a victim.

Edited by entity0x
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

In some ways posting on a forum like this is an ideal mode of communication for me, but I understand that it is not always ideal for everyone. I'm lucky that I have a good command of the English language. I can create nuance by using words or phases that I believe an educated English speaker would pick up connotation from. I'm still limited however in not being able to see if they feel amused, angered or confused by what I've just said. Lacking real facial expression and body language, voice lets us hear intonation, which helps people understand sarcasm, incredulity, confusion, concern or other complex emotions. 

I'm not a fast typist, so I'm not good at fast group chat. I like to be able to edit myself before I post, so I can consider carefully how someone else might interpret what I'm writing and figure out if there is a better word or phrasing I could use. 

Inworld, I text with strangers and sometimes use voice with friends. Voice is easier, but I don't want to bother my housemates with a constant barrage of me chatting to someone in SL while they're forced to listen to half a conversation.

Text is a must for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. Voice is a must for people who have bad arthritis, poor vision or other physical impairments. There is not one way that is objectively more ideal than another. It's all a matter of subjective personal experience and context.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 6

Rules applicable for RL and any other world:

DO NOT - ask for my contact details, in any format.

DO NOT - under any circumstances - instant message me on any device.
(specifically relevant to employers & staff but also casual acquaintances).

DO NOT - expect me to try and find some stupid, chirping device to answer
random calls during private time. If the device activates and you hear bubbling and gurgling
it's because I have flushed the childrens toy, (mobile device), down the loo and it
switched on through the S-Bend.

I think my examples are clear, distinct, precise and considerate.
If you are still a trifle confused, there are two exact words that might help you understand a little better. 
IF ya know what I'm sayin.
🤩😊😋

My standard mode of communication is a silent number, landline.

Edited by Maryanne Solo
Clarification.
  • Like 2

I think I'm just cranky these days, but voice chat reminds me too much of being on the phone. Spending hours and hours talking with friends and boyfriends - running up phone bills and waking up at 3am with the phone welded to my ear and hearing "shzshwerahgsnooooooooore" all through high school kind of got all that out of my system.

I'm good with text, now, thanks! 😂

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

my partner talk to me in voice because texting consume TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much times to write , and yes to express emotional.

some people maybe prefer not to voice because

they have disability or have no freedom at home  , or maybe they log from workplace 😂

or simply not confident to talk

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

my partner talk to me in voice because texting consume TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much times to write , and yes to express emotional.

some people maybe prefer not to voice because

they have disability or have no freedom at home  , or maybe they log from workplace 😂

or simply not confident to talk

From your past posts in other threads, you seem to mention that people who don't voice are probably men with female avatars.  You're very contradictory in your responses.  Which is it?  We have various reasons for not voice chatting OR we are all men in RL?  Example...

13 hours ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

because many guy using female avatar  to approach other female.

I think if you can proof yourself a female (voicing)  you might be get accepted.

maybe.. idk 😁

That's a ridiculous statement, btw.  I've been Accepted by 99.9% of people over the years and don't voice chat.

Edited by Rowan Amore
Word exchange. Thanks Lindal!
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

And don't get me started on what you see under a microscope.

As someone with a decent bench microscope and photography gear .. :D

Have I mentioned my home is basically an IT lab / maker space .. we tossed out the couch for more work benches and tool boxes, oh and table top games (so.many.games) .. only we tossed the table for a .. well there was a pandemic on and .. lalalalala .. look, furniture should be magnetic and covered in stickers is all I'm saying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

From your past posts in other threads, you seem to mention that people who don't voice are probably men with female avatars.  You're very contradictory in your responses.  Which is it?  We have various reasons for not voice chatting OR we are all men in RL?  Example...

That's a ridiculous statement, btw.  I've been excepted by 99.9% of people over the years and don't voice chat.

kay-whatever.gif.c737bbb0621d02d7f573b27398a5cfee.gif

6 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I think a lot ,like many things, depends on the situation..

• Like 1

I enjoy voice chatting cos I like hearing other people's voices and accents, and sometimes it's just say quicker to explain something than typing it all out.  Unless people keep asking me to repeat myself cos they like giggling at how I pronounce certain words.I

That being said, it's not a deal breaker for me and people have many reasons why they choose not to. That should be respected.

• Like 4

I can't deal with voice because you learn too much about people - the ones who sniffle or snort into the mic, the ones who eat a bowl of noodles into the mic, the ones with screaming crotchgoblins behind them while they're on the mic. I really could do without all that and will take interpreting tones of voice via text as the much better end of the bargain. Also, I don't actually care about the identity or gender identification of the person behind the avatar. That's their business. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 731 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.