About vocal communication

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

Plus typing requires some ability to spell

Nah. I will be very careful about spelling, typos, and all that if I am writing something thoughtful for posterity. For chat.... no way. Typos are part of the mystique of chat conversations, sort of like mumbling or saying, "er .. what?" if I ever used voice. They are part of my charming persona.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Nah. I will be very careful about spelling, typos, and all that if I am writing something thoughtful for posterity. For chat.... no way. Typos are part of the mystique of chat conversations, sort of like mumbling or saying, "er .. what?" if I ever used voice. They are part of my charming persona.

I said it requires some ability, which you have even when you arn't worried about spelling. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Lol, that doesn't sound great either. I hate loud yelling at times.

Speaking of which, this video is the perfect example of the kind of thing I was referring to. I can't understand how annnnyyyooonnne can deal with this kind of hectic yelling in their ears all night. Not all commanders are this way but...it's all obnoxious IMO.

The whole video is kind of funny, but from 2 minutes on it just gets absurdly intense. By the end, he barely has anybody following him and he's still yelling until another guildmate says dude plz stop, LOL.

Ah that brings back memories of WvW in Guild Wars 2. We used Team Speak then if I remember right.  😁 I didnt have a mic then either, still dont now.  We had some commanders that would absolutely RAGE over TS when we lost a fight... 😞 Now I remember why I stopped playing 😁

I did have a mic and camera for a short time while we where work from home. But now that we are back in the office we were required to return them. Which was fine by me, I survived this long without them...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Myntz Mysterious said:

Ah that brings back memories of WvW in Guild Wars 2. We used Team Speak then if I remember right.  😁 I didnt have a mic then either, still dont now.  We had some commanders that would absolutely RAGE over TS when we lost a fight... 😞 Now I remember why I stopped playing 😁

I did have a mic and camera for a short time while we where work from home. But now that we are back in the office we were required to return them. Which was fine by me, I survived this long without them...

Yup, TeamSpeak or Vent before Discord gained popularity. I play GW2 WvW fairly regularly these days, but I still refuse to turn on voice. I'd rather miss a command and go skipping into the middle of a big ole enemy zerg than deal with people shouting directions in my ears! 

That kind of experience soured me on ever using voice anywhere. Maybe if I've known someone for a few years and they want to have a quick chat - possibly. But under normal circumstances, it takes a whole lot to get me to turn my music off!

• Like 1

I was hesitant about using voice in games for a long time but now it's pretty much all I do. Once I tried it I found it was so much easier to play the game. You don't have to stop playing to focus on typing. It did take several days to get used to it. Voice is awesome in sl too because even if the sim has voice turned off you can still voice in it by just opening up a private voice call. I tried going back to chat/text one day in sl because somebody in my house was sleeping and I was like, why did I do this for so long? It's so much harder. To me anyway.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sounds like one of the "yells" we did in college "midnight yell practice" (that's really what they called it, not "pep rallies"):

Squads Left!

Squads Right!

Farmers, Farmers, We're Allright!

etc. (it goes on..)

Farmers, Farmers, Fight!

(Loud yelling)

And yes, my big university had "yells" about being "Farmers". Google would tell you which one.

Swing to the left!

Swing to the right!

Stand up! Sit down!

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Not quite as effective without the body movements. It's even worse when you have to give the fans instructions.

9bfdac66bc9b8f4aae9851b88422ec9d.jpg

• Like 1

Ever since I can remember myself on the internet I have preferred texts messages. There are times I am almost certain that this is my social anxiety and not something that I really prefer.
There was a time, a whole year when my ex-spouse encouraged me to speak on voice, with him and with friends and strangers for fun (Outside of SL).
It changed my communication ability a lot, I felt much more free while talking and knowing that the other person is listening and answering right away, makes the atmosphere feel really good and fun.
Personally makes me feel adrenaline because of the anxiety that makes communication feel intimidating at times, especially on voice.
Since that experience I can say that it is more comfortable to speak on voice and at the same time doing something in the background.
In my opinion only few people can really share their emotions in the way we can understand them right.
They mostly talk a lot in conversation and share their knowledge, their vocabulary is wide so they can explain in a precise word almost anything. I tend to enjoy chatting with them more even when I'm tired of texting.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bateliii said:
Ever since I can remember myself on the internet I have preferred texts messages. There are times I am almost certain that this is my social anxiety and not something that I really prefer.
There was a time, a whole year when my ex-spouse encouraged me to speak on voice, with him and with friends and strangers for fun (Outside of SL).
It changed my communication ability a lot, I felt much more free while talking and knowing that the other person is listening and answering right away, makes the atmosphere feel really good and fun.
Personally makes me feel adrenaline because of the anxiety that makes communication feel intimidating at times, especially on voice.
Since that experience I can say that it is more comfortable to speak on voice and at the same time doing something in the background.
In my opinion only few people can really share their emotions in the way we can understand them right.
They mostly talk a lot in conversation and share their knowledge, their vocabulary is wide so they can explain in a precise word almost anything. I tend to enjoy chatting with them more even when I'm tired of texting.

my sl partner encouraged me to talk in local voice too, since some ppl think I am her alt.

to proof my existence as an alpha 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

my sl partner encouraged me to talk in local voice too, since some ppl think I am her alt.

to proof my existence as an alpha 🤣

A true alpha wouldn't have needed prompting from their SL partner, they would have always been leading the call. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.