Why are so few bodies moddable? A discussion topic!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well you miss all this that the person has to say about "no mod" but i will post just as she wrote it!

This is a public service announcement.

This is primarily targeted at people who make mesh items. Scripts have a good reason to stay no modify. Besides that - what's your excuse?

I've heard it all, really.

The most common replies to "why are you making your items no mod?":

- You don't want people to "ruin" your items.

- You don't want someone to modify the item in a way that would "misrepresent your brand".

- You don't want people to buy a white version and tint it any color they want.

- You don't want people to copybot the textures.

- You don't want people to copybot the mesh.

- You simply don't want to make it modify for reasons even unknown to yourself.

Well, lemme tell you something. If you're good at what you do, none of this will be a bother to you. Second Life has always been about creativity, and even though it's all sex, gacha, stressy events that drain you of your creative juice and shady market practices nowadays, that's still the foundation it's built upon. You shouldn't work against that, you should work *with* it. Even if your end goal is to make money. The more creativity you allow with your products, the more they'll be recommended. Craftsmanship and decent business practices is still appreciated, trust me.

Unlike popular belief, making your item no mod will not prevent people from copybotting it. This is the reality you need to face - if someone wants to copybot your *****, it will happen. If you're unlucky, they'll even sell it or hand it out for free.

Yes, this sucks, but there is nothing you can do about it besides combatting it when you find it, and report the people that do it. Help other devs who end up in the same seat. Talk to people, they'll help you.

Do not punish your customers by limiting their ability to use the copy of an item they purchased from you for personal use; they are your supporters, they love your work and the content you provide, they'll report the copybotters if you ask them to. You have nothing to worry about. So what if someone makes an item look a bit weird? Anyone with half a brain can look you up and see that it's modified, and thus not representative of what you're offering.

Most people will pay extra for modifiable items. They'll also pay extra for fatpacks if the exclusives are good.

The number of people who know how to edit textures is so small it's irrelevant.

The number of people who know how to copybot your mesh is even smaller.

The number of sales you'll lose to the people tinting the white versions to whatever color they want will be balanced out by those who decide to buy your item simply because it's modify and thus more versatile to them.

Keep this in mind when you market your products; you have nothing to lose, and lots to gain.

...Annnnnnd if you're one of those people who are doing it simply because you're worried someone will accidentally make your item look better than you managed yourself and that's making you feel insecure; don't panic. Chill. Maybe you'll learn something that will result in you making an even better looking item next time. Don't get your panties in a twist.

Aight I'm done ranting, thanks for reading and have a good weekend. Peace ♥

Edited by Transann
Adding text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It's free, easy and saves money by allowing the saving of inworld pictures without an upload fee.

So? I'm still not jumping through hoops just to look at ONE adult rated image. I save any images to my harddrive and then to my backup. If I want to share those images with people online, there are dozens of ways of doing so without using Flickr, all free.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Silent Mistwalker You don't need to log in, the PSA is in the description.

The image, which you can see a small thumbnail of at the bottom of that big "adult content" label is just white text on an orange background and it says "STOP MAKING YOUR S* NO MOD."

I've never used Flickr either.

P.S. Apparently you can also still download the image without logging in.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

13 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

@Silent Mistwalker You don't need to log in, the PSA is in the description.

The image, which you can see a small thumbnail of at the bottom of that big "adult content" label is just white text on an orange background and it says "STOP MAKING YOUR S* NO MOD."

I've never used Flickr either.

P.S. Apparently you can also still download the image without logging in.

If I don't need to log in then why did I get the message I posted the image of? 

And what part of I AM NOT SIGNING UP FOR FLICKR OR ANY PLATFORM just to look at ONE IMAGE do people not understand?

One more time:

image.thumb.png.03f5bdc7bf26e1ef312c1aea43e39823.png

Clicking on the thumbnail does nothing, mousing over it, it isn't large enough to read even with my prescription glasses for reading.

I don't care what anyone says. I am not signing up for an account I don't need just to view one image I'm no longer even interested in.

Let it go.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

And what part of I AM NOT SIGNING UP FOR FLICKR OR ANY PLATFORM just to look at ONE IMAGE do people not understand?

Literally the image just says "Fellow Developers, Stop making your ***** no-mod" and nothing else, mate.

The actual content (and purpose) of the post is found in the description further down, which you don't need to log in OR make an account to read. 

Like, chill a bit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Transann said:

Well you miss all this that the person has to say about "no mod" but i will post just as she wrote it!

This is a public service announcement.

This is primarily targeted at people who make mesh items. Scripts have a good reason to stay no modify. Besides that - what's your excuse?

I've heard it all, really.

The most common replies to "why are you making your items no mod?":

- You don't want people to "ruin" your items.

- You don't want someone to modify the item in a way that would "misrepresent your brand".

- You don't want people to buy a white version and tint it any color they want.

- You don't want people to copybot the textures.

- You don't want people to copybot the mesh.

- You simply don't want to make it modify for reasons even unknown to yourself.

Well, lemme tell you something. If you're good at what you do, none of this will be a bother to you. Second Life has always been about creativity, and even though it's all sex, gacha, stressy events that drain you of your creative juice and shady market practices nowadays, that's still the foundation it's built upon. You shouldn't work against that, you should work *with* it. Even if your end goal is to make money. The more creativity you allow with your products, the more they'll be recommended. Craftsmanship and decent business practices is still appreciated, trust me.

Unlike popular belief, making your item no mod will not prevent people from copybotting it. This is the reality you need to face - if someone wants to copybot your *****, it will happen. If you're unlucky, they'll even sell it or hand it out for free.

Yes, this sucks, but there is nothing you can do about it besides combatting it when you find it, and report the people that do it. Help other devs who end up in the same seat. Talk to people, they'll help you.

Do not punish your customers by limiting their ability to use the copy of an item they purchased from you for personal use; they are your supporters, they love your work and the content you provide, they'll report the copybotters if you ask them to. You have nothing to worry about. So what if someone makes an item look a bit weird? Anyone with half a brain can look you up and see that it's modified, and thus not representative of what you're offering.

Most people will pay extra for modifiable items. They'll also pay extra for fatpacks if the exclusives are good.

The number of people who know how to edit textures is so small it's irrelevant.

The number of people who know how to copybot your mesh is even smaller.

The number of sales you'll lose to the people tinting the white versions to whatever color they want will be balanced out by those who decide to buy your item simply because it's modify and thus more versatile to them.

Keep this in mind when you market your products; you have nothing to lose, and lots to gain.

...Annnnnnd if you're one of those people who are doing it simply because you're worried someone will accidentally make your item look better than you managed yourself and that's making you feel insecure; don't panic. Chill. Maybe you'll learn something that will result in you making an even better looking item next time. Don't get your panties in a twist.

Aight I'm done ranting, thanks for reading and have a good weekend. Peace ♥

Ummm.......... no.
RL 3d mesh/masters uncopyrighted/unprotected in the virtual wwWilderMetaCryptoVirtualness?
Only 1 company has access to my 3d masters.
We regularly review my excruciatingly precisely worded copyright and "NO DONT SAVE MY MASTER FILES ON YOUR SYSTEM for my convenience" agreement, face to face, with their managing director and head of production.
Not a chance in hell.

Edited by Maryanne Solo

12 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

What part of "you don't need to log in" did you not understand?

The main content of that post is in plain text in the description. The image is meaningless. Scroll down.

You can still even view the image by clicking the download icon (underlined down arrow, visible in your screenshot) at the bottom right corner of where the image would be.

Re-read this conversation, how do you get this worked up by a "pls log in" sign? Why do you need to shout as loud as you can about how you just absolutely will not sign up, let alone going LALALALA when people say you don't need to? You let go.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Ummm.......... no.
RL 3d mesh/masters uncopyrighted/unprotected in the virtual wwWilderMetaCryptoVirtualness?
Only 1 company has access to my 3d masters.
We regularly review my excruciatingly precisely worded copyright and "NO DONT SAVE MY MASTER FILES ON YOUR SYSTEM for my convenience" agreement, face to face, with their managing director and head of production.
Not a chance in hell.

What has that to do with the mesh being modifiable/not modifiable within Second Life, other than the possibility that someone will be more tempted to rip  a no-mod mesh so they can make changes to the item?

• Like 3

Do people not understand what LOL stands for? No one can see the humor in a PUBLIC service announcement that can't be seen by the general public? It is not available to the general public if it has been marked adult due to language and put behind a barrier.

People think I'm stupid yet no one else saw the humor to posting a PSA in a non public manner. Instead, they had to blow it all out of proportion. Yet, somehow, I'm the one in the wrong. BS.

image.thumb.png.4f31ba529553058cdaf280434608cd59.png

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

For prim stuff... okay, but for mesh bodies, I dont really see a lot of use for mod.  The only reason mentioned so far, is performance, and lets be honest, taking two feet positions out of your body is less than a fraction of a drop in a bucket.

So what real, non-theoretical situations do people have that the non-mod bodies are ruining ?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StarlanderGoods said:

Rename the folder you put it in.

Yes but as already been mentioned in previous posts, it is a less than optimal solution for an inventory system that is already much more disorganized by default then it needs to be. Now add to the complexity by having to create separate folders for each individual body and tattoo/underwear and clothing layer on which an applier has been used, it quickly becomes unwieldy for those of us who are more into avatars fashions. The ability to modify the name at least would reduce the clutter substantially.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, StarlanderGoods said:

For prim stuff... okay, but for mesh bodies, I dont really see a lot of use for mod.  The only reason mentioned so far, is performance, and lets be honest, taking two feet positions out of your body is less than a fraction of a drop in a bucket.

So what real, non-theoretical situations do people have that the non-mod bodies are ruining ?

Right off the top of my head?

Putting my own scripts or animations in.

Changing materials fully.

Solving all the things huds aren't scripted to do.

I had about 2 projects and 3 fixes I was able to do with my lady friend when Belleza went mod.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, StarlanderGoods said:

Rogue autohide scripts.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Rogue autohide scripts.

HOD overrides autohide scripts.

45 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Right off the top of my head?

Putting my own scripts or animations in.

Changing materials fully.

Solving all the things huds aren't scripted to do.

I had about 2 projects and 3 fixes I was able to do with my lady friend when Belleza went mod.

Cant you already do materials with BOM ? Also, you can use the animations externally, no reason to link them to the body itself.

2 minutes ago, StarlanderGoods said:

HOD overrides autohide scripts.

Syrup of ipecac will allow you to vomit up something poisonous you drink accidentally.

But it would be more pleasant for all concerned if you just didn't drink the bad stuff in the first place. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What is HOD?

Autohide is an appalling invention that should be banned by international agreements, like cluster bombs

I meant HUD, and yes, it is a foul invention, designed to hide poor rigging. But like with all other foul inventions, we just have to learn to work around them

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.