Why was SL built the way it was?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No other program that I know of crashes you so hard that when you log back in, any changes you made to your avi before the crash got thrown back by a day. It's happened quite a few times over the years and why I don't mess with my avi a lot. Its wild and insanely frustrating. You would think something like this would be fixed by now. 

• Thanks 1

Never had that problem to be honest.
I don't change much very frequently in SL because meh.
In the first years of my SL I was fiddling every day with my avatar but these days, nah.

I'm to sexy for SL as it is already, with my huge payment info on file.  :D

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Never had that problem to be honest.
I don't change much very frequently in SL because meh.
In the first years of my SL I was fiddling every day with my avatar but these days, nah.

I've had it happen quite a bit while teleporting around. The tp will take forever which pretty much means you've crashed. Then after relogging, any edits you've made are gone and if you log in at "last location", it could be from a place you were days ago. It's just so annoying and stupid. 

Edited by Chris Nova
  • Like 4

You're asking the real questions!

It happens to me almost everytime when I crash. Not only does my appearances changes roll back, but so do my viewer's settings which leads me to believe that for some reason our settings are cached and sent on batches to the servers. Because of that whenever we crash and log back in the server still contains our old settings. It's really odd way of handling network requests and it's certainly not a good way to handle them given the dynamic environment we all reside. The exchange of information should certainly be done synchronously instead of a-synchronously.

I began experiencing this more often months ago, I think around... when Linden announced they are making changes to their software architecture and moving to AWS. Since then the performance issues began for me with the rollbacks of my settings after crashes.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

No other program that I know of crashes you so hard that when you log back in, any changes you made to your avi before the crash got thrown back by a day. It's happened quite a few times over the years and why I don't mess with my avi a lot. Its wild and insanely frustrating. You would think something like this would be fixed by now. 

If you're editing attachments, the changes are only saved to inventory when you detach the object. This usually  happens when you log off cleanly, but when you crash .. not so much.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Per Coffee's comment -- this is one reason my number one rule regarding attachments is that once I finally get one edited the way I want, I immediately detach and re-attach.

That said, I've not had much crashing due to any reason lately -- haven't crashed on a TP in a few months, I believe.

• Like 4

the one I do know about is the current changes not being synced,  was told, it's always going to pull the last change the system has if the state did not get saved in time across all processes.  so the whole day revert even if we made changes is dumb, but I see why they do it and yeah,  wish they would of built it another way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Nova said:

You would think something like this would be fixed by now. 

No. It will never be fixed. It's inherent to the system.

Everything, all information of your avatar ( name , height, seize, attachments, location in SL ) is stored central in the U.S. only and nowhere else in the world. The more activity, the more latency and these settings like you mentioned are not stored properly or not at all if connections are abruptly disrupted.

It's like trying to run the whole internet on your own PC with everyone else in the world trying to access it.

We should unite and demand LL put servers on every corner of every street everywhere to reduce these issues.

Heh ...... :|

Edited by Solo Alpha
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

If you're editing attachments, the changes are only saved to inventory when you detach the object. This usually  happens when you log off cleanly, but when you crash .. not so much.

I know it works this way because i've asked this same question before to Firestorm devs. I do understand OP's frustration and share it. It doesn't seem logical from an end user's perspective. You make changes (to an outfit) and its visible to you and everyone else, but it isn't permanent yet... seems like an odd choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, purrrkitten said:

It might not be SL. It's probably your computer tbh. Since I got a good one, I've only crashed a handful of times. When I was on a crappy computer I used to crash often and had weird things like that happen.

I have a Ryzen 9 with a RTX 2070 SUPER. Its not my PC lol.

3 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

:/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

If you also use the viewer to log into Opensim grids it can cause some problems especially with cache. The devs don't recommend it but I still do anyway and that can cause some strange issues at times. 

I dont go "over there" lol

Ok then as others have said, any changes you have made to an outfit will be lost if you crash or in any way not get logged out properly, as all changes are temporary until the logout when it gets written to the database. You can force the database write by detaching and reattaching. I think too (though could be wrong), if you save all the parts to an outfit.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
*facepalm
  • Like 1

Many people always assume when someone has a problem like this that they have a bad PC...SL is pretty forgiving when it comes to older PCs but SL is totally NOT forgiving a wonky or bad internet connection at all! And when I say bad, I mean what is fine for many other gamess and stuff won't be fine for SL or if your ISP has some problems that day, or your router is etc then you crash a lot! We have a 1GB connection...everything is fine but dare the days where the ISP is having problems and its only like 200mbits or wonky and the kids are watching online videos or playing online games xD this is the only time I crash a little!

So maybe something is not as HRH Princess SL would love it to be with your router or ISP? I remember my husband having first some problems like this on one of his desktops, but he fiddled something with the connection and/or firewall (obviously I have no clue xD) since then no crashes anymore.

If you are on wireless maybe try lan? But probably you are already using it...so just wild guessing -_- ❤️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Solo Alpha said:

No. It will never be fixed. It's inherent to the system.

Everything, all information of your avatar ( name , height, seize, attachments, location in SL ) is stored central in the U.S. only and nowhere else in the world. The more activity, the more latency and these settings like you mentioned are not stored properly or not at all if connections are abruptly disrupted.

It's like trying to run the whole internet on your own PC with everyone else in the world trying to access it.

We should unite and demand LL put servers on every corner of every street everywhere to reduce these issues.

Heh ...... :|

not gonna happen , too few user .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

Many people always assume when someone has a problem like this that they have a bad PC...SL is pretty forgiving when it comes to older PCs but SL is totally NOT forgiving a wonky or bad internet connection at all! And when I say bad, I mean what is fine for many other gamess and stuff won't be fine for SL or if your ISP has some problems that day, or your router is etc then you crash a lot! We have a 1GB connection...everything is fine but dare the days where the ISP is having problems and its only like 200mbits or wonky and the kids are watching online videos or playing online games xD this is the only time I crash a little!

So maybe something is not as HRH Princess SL would love it to be with your router or ISP? I remember my husband having first some problems like this on one of his desktops, but he fiddled something with the connection and/or firewall (obviously I have no clue xD) since then no crashes anymore.

If you are on wireless maybe try lan? But probably you are already using it...so just wild guessing -_- ❤️

disagreeee...

fist time I use my 2008 laptop and I freq crash. and fps below 40. some place suuch as muddy cafe and big daddy club crash me and heavy lag.

and then I use my super badass pc , fps -frame per aecond goes up to 100 +. avg 95. I can set graph to ultra  and run smooth even in mmuddy cafe

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist

8 hours ago, Chris Nova said:

No other program except real life can crash that hard and set you back a few days :) I heard though jira and quirky problems i've had with this account that there are defective account keys that cause problems that are still unknown to them. Maybe problem with account keys reverting account changes and not saving them in some cases. Or freaking out the avatar skeletons when teleporting. That's all I know. 

Maybe a hint when you are making your changes do you notice that in the address bar it shows that the region needs to be rebaked? I've had many things revert before now that I think more about it. I like building on my body and I would sit on a beach and just build on my body and then I would noticed that if I crashed and got booted from the viewer, when I signed back in my body build would be totally be reverted to with hundrends of changes would be reverted to cubes. All the steps were undone on my avatars body. After this happened a few times I started noticing a trend that it would mostly happen if the region needed to be rebaked. Now if I travel to a region that needs to be baked via that little rebake error looking icon in the address bar at top of screen it's like a triangle I think with a ! maybe yellow and red colors, can't remember but would go into I think world menu at top of screen or build or one of those menus has a pathfinding/rebake under it do rebake wait moment the error would go away (a lot in linden home). I reported that I thought people were weaponizing the pathfinding to error people out and frustrate them but not sure if it was taken seriously. Pretty crazy thing to think would be a major problem right? 

Gosh, I hate to be paranoid about every little thing but after a while in world one tends to notice a lot of things. If you ever see that rebake thing on address bar rebake before leaving might help. Who knows. If it does cause the world problems not sure how far the problems go if errors travel region to region? I'm not that tech savvy. 

Edited by Paulsian
  • Haha 1

If I'm particularly attached to a way I've dressed my avatar, I will log out after getting everything right and log back in.  The logout/login method saves me from having to detach/reattach a bunch of different things.  That means I will get dressed and logout/login before I teleport ANYWHERE.  I learned that the hard way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

If I'm particularly attached to a way I've dressed my avatar, I will log out after getting everything right and log back in.  The logout/login method saves me from having to detach/reattach a bunch of different things.  That means I will get dressed and logout/login before I teleport ANYWHERE.  I learned that the hard way. 

Awesome tips. I learned something new today a clean log out equals save body/body object modifications. 

3 hours ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

not gonna happen , too few user .

LL have talked about the ability to add servers in other regions as a side effect of the cloud move, the idea being if you own a region it would be nice to have it hosted local to you or audience. However in the year since uplift, we have yet to see any concrete product offering or even hints of it being secretly tested.

On 3/16/2022 at 7:15 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

Which makes the slow-detach-in-lag issue, introduced in the AIS3 inventory update, so much more annoying.

On 3/17/2022 at 3:21 AM, Lysistrata Szapira said:

It will almost certainly be quicker too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.