Why was SL built the way it was?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This happens to me frequently after a crash. The most annoying aspect though is having worked to tweak my shape only to crash and then that new shape didn't get saved because of the crash and consequently the shape is not found in the database upon returning. This has happened so many times that now I actually log out after doing any shape tweaks to be sure the new changes are saved before I try to teleport anywhere.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

This happens to me frequently after a crash. The most annoying aspect though is having worked to tweak my shape only to crash and then that new shape didn't get saved because of the crash and consequently the shape is not found in the database upon returning. This has happened so many times that now I actually log out after doing any shape tweaks to be sure the new changes are saved before I try to teleport anywhere.

i find that saving shape changes works the same way as saving edits to worn attachments.  Changing to another shape saves our mods safely. Then change back to the one we are working on and continue

18 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i find that saving shape changes works the same way as saving edits to worn attachments.  Changing to another shape saves our mods safely. Then change back to the one we are working on and continue

Yes, I could do that, but a relog for me is about the same hassle as a relog. And that way it saves changes to attachments as well.

On 3/16/2022 at 8:09 PM, Gwin LeShelle said:

SL is pretty forgiving when it comes to older PCs but SL is totally NOT forgiving a wonky or bad internet connection at all! 

I have a dual wan with two distinct ISPs, with load balance and failover. I never get less than 500mbps, and can reach 1.2gbps with modern software.

SL is still wonky even on all that.

4 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I have a dual wan with two distinct ISPs, with load balance and failover. I never get less than 500mbps, and can reach 1.2gbps with modern software.

SL is still wonky even on all that.

SL is probably ashamed to be seen on your hoity-toity supersystem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2022 at 2:27 PM, Chris Nova said:

No other program that I know of crashes you so hard that when you log back in, any changes you made to your avi before the crash got thrown back by a day. It's happened quite a few times over the years and why I don't mess with my avi a lot. Its wild and insanely frustrating. You would think something like this would be fixed by now. 

I don't know if this could be related to your forums avi that shakes a lot, I'm not technically inclined.

Thats unfortunate of the OP :(. These days I rarely crash using Firestorm, I always keep up with the current version. And change my outfit daily if not more. 

Now back in the day when I first started SL I played a lot of CCS and DS2 with huge battles to the point the skies where littered with frozen bullets, and it took minutes for your skills to happen. Yeah in those days I crashed a LOT! 😁

Why was SL built the way it was?

Wasn't there, don't know, but...

Second Life allows the residents to build/change things, so... there is always going to be a trade-off between "state saving" and performance. They just decided on what seemed reasonable at the time. Most creator tools have this issue.

We all tend to adjust to this reality. For example, I change clothes ALOT and always save my "outfit" in Firestorm after getting dressed. I create waypoint lists for sailing cruisies and always detach/attach the waypoint editing HUD every few minutes lest I crash on a region crossing or TP and lose my work.

Some attachments such as 7Seas fishing rods avoid losing state by updating a server on every cast. See how some creators adapt 🙂

Chris, I change clothes and other avatar bits all the time, and I can't recall ever having the problem you describe, with any viewer.

I think maybe it's something peculiar to your particular computer. (Unless maybe you've had this happen with more than one computer??)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Chris, I change clothes and other avatar bits all the time, and I can't recall ever having the problem you describe, with any viewer.

I think maybe it's something peculiar to your particular computer. (Unless maybe you've had this happen with more than one computer??)

The last time I had an issue even remotely similar was years back.

The most severe instance was back before the advent of TPVs - Lost an entire outfit I'd bought just that day ... Bought a few hours prior to the Grid being shut off for Maintenance. Not a big loss outside of what was paid for it - I'd ended up not liking it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.