How much have you changed since you started SL?

Annalise Evergarden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 820 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Let's talk fashion, I wanna know! What did you start out dressing up as and has it changed over time?

I'll go first,  On my OG account I had started out trying to be really "lady of the night" sort of appearance, I went from that to dressing goth, from goth to lolita and now? I'm wearing light AF colors and accessorizing more. If I had pictures of my early days, I'd show them off. but my early days were covered in prims and flexi-clothing.

Remember those days? Prims and flexi clothing? and look at where we are now! Amazing, isn't it?

• Like 5

Hmm... from using a system avatar, to something more mesh and hi def. Note that the pic on the left is a more recent shot from an alt, but it represents my SL appearance journey which began with my SL entry in April, 2021. I sometimes wear stuff that might look a bit *****ty, but that's when I'm in the mood to let loose at a club with loud music, or taking pictures for myself or flickr, etc. Overall this look is how you may see me in world... either this or I'm wearing a t-shirt, leather jacket and jeans. Oh wait, I'm still wearing jeans in these shots LOL! :D (but I love slacks and dresses as well...) 

SL-changesBeg2Tdy-03Feb2021.jpg

• Like 5

On day 1 when I started with my first account in 2006,  I picked up a freebie outfit with a black leather vest, white shirt, blue jeans and red & white sneakers. That outfit kinda became my trademark and I wore it a lot (with updates as mesh became a thing) It was my standard daily outfit when I wasn't doing something formal or fantasy. For most of this time I was also a neko. 

2006 & 2011

2006_2011.jpg.996562c305d72952087831097a98ea26.jpg

Slink introduced mesh hands in around 2014, thats when I lost my right hand.

140410_004.jpg.d157de741da45b0517bd739f0fb9c114.jpg 

Still classic in 2017 & meshed-up in 2018. 

2017_2018.jpg.c64b66598429f70aa32be0381b3d9176.jpg

In 2018 I discovered the Chiaroscuro community and started getting much more adventurous with fantasy outfits and different looks. Fae, Mer, Demon, whatever. 

Halfway through 2019 I decided that I could get a broader choice of fantasy outfits if I got a Maitreya body (with V-tech) so I could wear female outfits too. And since then I swear I've worn my male body maybe twice or three times at most. Hooo-boy did I like this!  It took a while to settle on my particular look, again having trialled a number of heads and skins to try to get as close as I could to that 2018 face above. Ended up making my own skin because female skins were too soft and pretty. I did not want to look like a girl, I wanted to look like a guy who was trying to look like a girl. Even now you'll find me with some stubble on my chin more often than you'll find me in makeup.  This is me earlier last year with my custom skin.

21_090s.jpg.b4aa2f639a95bc30138921eecfd55b96.jpg

I graduated from V-Tech and flat chest to Petite, and then eventually to neither, and now I have boobs too, and lately I've switched (albeit not fulltime) to Belleza Isis, primarily because I can get a thicker, more muscular shape with it than I can with Maitreya.

My day-to-day fashion style now is mostly sporty, I often wear crop tops and shorts or mini-skirts. I like to show a lot of skin (it took me so long to make it, I wanna show it off) so I dress as bare as I dare for wherever I am.  I still love my old leather vest though...

21_267s.jpg.442465098debdf575b9b7df8455d10bb.jpg

• Like 12

When I started in 2010 I had to make do with the cheapest stuff I could find. I wasn't rezzed with a silver spoon in my pixel mouth so freebies it was. I lived in flexi-hair from Calico and AtomicBambi skin. I don't think browless skins and tattoo layer eyebrow combo were a thing back then. So the poor noob had to put up with untamed brows. He doesn't have a trademark fashion look. His outfits and hair change from day to day, depending on mood.

I don't think much has changed since Greg's noob days.  The only difference is 2022 Greg has nicer brows and better skin. And a much bigger wardrobe.

Unfortunately I have no surviving pictures of noobborn Greg because a dead computer ate them all. But I did have the mind to keep an old outfit in my inventory so I could at least have the option for a retro themed photo project.

51861543375_497fc2194d_z.jpg

• Like 7

As SL turned 10 there was a challenge to show how much our avas had changed over the time. Here's how Isaac evolved over the years. As for clothing I wear different styles from casual chic to goth/steampunkt, depending on my mood or the events I attend. A real male fashionista 😁

SL_10YearChallenge.png

Snapshot_02.02.2022_004.png

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Mortified Wanderer said:

Let's talk fashion, I wanna know! What did you start out dressing up as and has it changed over time?

I'll go first,  On my OG account I had started out trying to be really "lady of the night" sort of appearance, I went from that to dressing goth, from goth to lolita and now? I'm wearing light AF colors and accessorizing more. If I had pictures of my early days, I'd show them off. but my early days were covered in prims and flexi-clothing.

Remember those days? Prims and flexi clothing? and look at where we are now! Amazing, isn't it?

I'm not really into fashion, and mostly hang about (in RL and in SL) in jeans, but I like a good frock in Second Life, and miss those swishy flexi skirts. 

Top to bottom:

Now-ish. 

There's always going to be room for improvement, but I'm genuinely happy with how my avatar looks currently. 

Marigold Mk I November 2007.jpg

Marigold Mk II December 2007.jpg

too close.jpg

• Like 7

I've not been with SL nearly as long as a lot of people, and my fashion is all over the place.  Usually I enjoy something fantasy themed, and I often wear my pixie avatar while in Second Life.  I don't like to spend a lot of money though, so when I am going as human I use the mesh Ruth Avatar.

Snapshot_078.png.08851b25f24fc9340afae32ee050ec9e.png

Here is a snapshot I took for wardrobe.  It is nothing fantastic, but it is BOM and I can find a lot of free outfits on it.  I haven't spent very much linden in game, and want to keep it that way.  I only get 300L from my premium membership, so I try my best to find free things.

Here is the Ruth Body and head, using a starter avatar that I sometimes wear.

1232687424_Snapshot_065(3).thumb.png.c96563ea498c9d58bc2dfab2f404b5d7.png

My favorite avatar, which is pretty small

Snapshot_1345.thumb.png.2263aaeb747cab0705b11b5b329f9272.png

I haven't changed very much in the past three or four years that I have been here.  For the first few months though, most of my avatars and clothing were very dated and I got a lot of it from freebie galaxy.  I have a bunch of outfits that are newer, but most of them were free or inexpensive.  When SL comes out with new Avatars, I'll probably mix them into newer outfits and possibly try them with my Ruth avatar.  Otherwise, I mostly just play it cheap - I'm typically alone in SL anyway and spend most of my time exploring, playing games, or building on my property.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Mortified Wanderer said:

Wow! I'm so amazed at how much a lot of you changrd and hope to see more from others as this thread goes on!

This thread and something someone said on another thread yesterday made me go and look at a very old photo thread. 

I have to admit, I used to avoid this thread like the plague, almost fearing everyone's vanity. Now I just think it's really very interesting how everyone's avatar does change over time, not just with heads and hairstyles, but all the body shape fads, tattoos, and fashions.  I actually think the clothing creators in Second Life are for more imaginative and adventurous than most in real life.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Istelathis said:

1232687424_Snapshot_065(3).thumb.png.c96563ea498c9d58bc2dfab2f404b5d7.png

I've used this hairdo with my hi def avatars. Works really well, especially with the Genus Strong head but also with the two Lelutkas I have on tap. The dress also fits most Maitreya shapes as well, but it's the HAIR I love the most. :) Now I think I want to try it with a new Evo X skin, hmm... but anyway here's one take from September, 2021 with the Genus Strong + Lucybody Atenea.

Keyboard-SLEA-Taken_sometime_in_092021.jpg

• Like 4

I started out, like most noob residents, using only freebies.

First image is my first avi pic from 2008.  FFS, system hair was AWFUL.  I don't even want to know what I was wearing.  Pic was taken outside Free Dove, back when it was a tiny building. 

slnoob.png.b815324f6bd2c3be8e1fb8f7e2851a2b.png 

Second image is still from 2008. I was always a redhead, and I used Sirena hair almost exclusively (did toy around with Gurl6 but I didn't much care for their hair).  I was obsessed with that purple chair and purple tree.

slnoob1.png.c3d779345f322410225078e9ada58c65.png

When I lived with only freebie clothes, I was pretty casual.  After I started spending money,  I went ham on flexi stuff.  I never met a ballgown I didn't like, and I was still a redhead.  (Bonus points if you recognize the Omega Point sim)

slflexi.png.98ae7a74611d2532e2963f90c6dc669b.png

Don't ask me what this phase was about.

slwut.thumb.png.0875623d92d74cf82a21680b4c24f759.png

Eventually I settled into my current blonde state and spending most of my lindens at Ison. 

sl2022_001.thumb.png.d784e2d89db9171c30508c7e18581bea.png

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 820 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.