Second Life Forum Toxicity

NardweBones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 854 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Ayeleeon said:

I was in world once. Someone in local chat seemed to be having a conversation with themself. I saw what they said but didn't see the comments they were responding to. I realized they were talking to someone I had blocked, I also realized that the blocked person could say anything they wanted about me and I would never know. I prefer to know what people say about me, so from that point on I no longer block people. I will to let an angry person cool off, but they get unblocked in a week or so. I prefer to know what people are saying here, toxic or not, so I do not ban anyone.

You can still block them but tick the box that shows muted chat.  If you know they are in your proximity.  They still show on radar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't have anyone on my ignore list. I might clash with a lot of people, I can be rather, uh, direct and propably a tad harsh at best, outright asshat at worst - and I know I'm quite tempestrous, so I'm quick to get riled up but it also tends to die out just as fast. And I try to not hold grudges. Also, I like to believe that everyone can add something valuable to a conversation, no matter their past actions. 

I don't think this forum is that toxic. Usually, it's pretty much just individuals, or it happens on threads that are bound to escalate, like anything political or religious. But I don't think that's just an SL thing. Also cultural differences. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

I don't have anyone on my ignore list.

Nods...me neither.

(..on the forums i add them straight to Ublock Origins custom filters so that i will never see anything from them and move on..  in SL i got 5 people blocked and 1293 blacklisted...)

tumblr_mvcjsxtgKs1ruxwh9o8_500.gif

Edited by Nick0678
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

(..i add them straight to Ublock Origins custom filters so that i will never see anything from them and move on..)

Does that keep you from seeing their post if someone quotes it? 

That is the biggest issue with attempting to ignore someone on the forums - it only stops showing you their posts, but you'll still see the post if someone quotes it.

One of the biggest reasons I try to avoid ignoring people here in the forums is because it can result in disjointed conversations in threads.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Does that keep you from seeing their post if someone quotes it? 

With the right filters you see nothing.. so chances are if i never reply to someone i simply have that person filtered out on html level, quoted or not it really doesn't matter.

Edited by Nick0678

49 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

You can still block them but tick the box that shows muted chat.  If you know they are in your proximity.  They still show on radar.

I will keep that in mind if anyone gets so obnoxious that they need permanent blocking. I find there are far fewer issues with people now that I wander SL as Ayeleeon.

3 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

I will keep that in mind if anyone gets so obnoxious that they need permanent blocking. I find there are far fewer issues with people now that I wander SL as Ayeleeon.

The people I end up blocking are the girls (yes, usually girls) who gesture spam at nightclubs.  

• Like 4

Strangely enough, forums are the only place I feel slightly comfortable socializing with people.  I think compared to real life conversations with others, at least for me, are less emotionally driven and more open to different views.  On forums though, I have more time to organize my thoughts and reply, I don't feel as rushed and hopefully am less likely to insult others or make myself appear as the fool I am :)   I am so used to the behavior on various forums and platforms that SL forums are relatively civil.  I do think creating threads is putting yourself in a tough situation though, and you are more likely to experience harassment.  On other forums I have participated on, there were requirements to have several replies before you could create a thread - and while I understood that was to help cut back on spam I wondered if it may also have been to let the participants become familiar with the board and the general culture there. 

Honestly, I would suggest you stick around and reply to threads for a while.  You will likely find some people to be nice, and also become familiar with the behavior of this forum, you will learn where to avoid pitfalls and you may just find that you enjoy it.  Regardless of what you do, I hope you have a great day and your experience on this forum has not ruined the SL experience for you.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

Strangely enough, forums are the only place I feel slightly comfortable socializing with people. 

^^ This

I am far more comfortable discussing things in a forum than in RL or even inworld.  To me, it actually seems to remove some of the judgement that I perceive happening elsewhere.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I haven't blocked anyone on the forum. If I find someone annoys me, I just think, "Oh it's that fool", and either ignore them or give them a passive aggressive reaction.

In world, I have had to block griefers from my land, one toxic guy who was my friend's SL ex, one toxic guy who was my SL ex, people who gesture-spam and spank each other in public, people who beg for money in groups, people who "out" others in groups for being "dangerous", and objects that spam me with too many ads. 

• Like 2

I have nobody blocked, so I see all! Anyway, there's going to be a different sort of response to disagreeing about something like the best mesh avatar and disagreeing in a way where you're trying to get people to take part in a system that'll hurt them (or you're the one about to get scammed/hurt and don't know it yet).

I've only had a few instances where someone's response was way out of line based on the sort of disagreement (and one recent one wasn't a forum regular... it was a new person who asked for advice, I gave it, and then they exploded).

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Also cultural differences

A lot of people here put this topic of cultural differences in the middle of the deck as if it were a wild card.
I can't really understand what sense this argument makes, rather it seems to me that it is being used as a defense shield by "someone".

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

However, there is no blocking in this forum.
You can silence an account, but it is completely useless to do so as that account will be able to continue interacting with your threads.
The only potentially useful thing to do is to declare ourselves and divide us into teams.
For those who want to join my team I promise good treatment, big meals and a free hangover every weekend.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Honestly I probably was just feeling others the wrong way for those particular times;

After reading over everyone's overwhelming support/gratitude toward the community I may not agree with what I said with the forum being toxic.

I appreciate all the reassuring responses! 

The consensus for a solution is the Block Button >.< when needed (In game, as forums it appears is a bit different). You guys all really make me a feel more welcome with everything that has been said.

Edited by NardweBones
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

A lot of people here put this topic of cultural differences in the middle of the deck as if it were a wild card.
I can't really understand what sense this argument makes, rather it seems to me that it is being used as a defense shield by "someone".

I think people bring it up because it's something that can be quite noticable. It's not meant to be an excuse - more an explanation for tendencies. Of course, that's not a black-and-white matter either. Not every American beats around the bush either, and there are even Germans who have something resembling humor. 

• Like 4

• Lindens

Hi y'all. Gentle reminder that the Forums are not a place for Interpersonal disputes and Flaming (ironically, the very complaints that seem to have prompted the creation of this Thread in the first place . . .). Since the Thread has completely derailed into just that, it has been closed from further comment. 

Please take a moment to review the Community Participation Guidelines: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/403538-community-participation-guidelines/

giphy.gif

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 854 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.