Trading Linden Home for Land?

CandyRain123

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You pick up what you have in the house. Stand on your plot, inside or out, but you must be inside the plot. Open "world" - About land - general - abandon land.

You are now free to search for land. You can not purchase anything before you have abandoned the house, unless you will pay tier for the land. You pay tier when you have land and the LH the same time, even a very short time.

Look for 1024 m parcels in the land section, or look inworld. You must pay for it, but it is no tier when it is 1024 or less. Land prices vary, from very high when it has direct access to sailable water, to public road, or both.

Cheap land is often found inside the continents. I think the cheapest I bought was 850 L, but the seller was in a hurry.

Free tier apply to Mainland only. You can "buy" in a private estate, but then you pay rent to the estate owner/land baron.

Edited by Marianne Little
Tried to rewrite some clumsy sentences
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, CandyRain123 said:

I heard it was possible to give up your Linden home for a small piece of land, but I have no idea how to go about this. Is it true, and if so, how please? Thank you

Like Marianne said, the first thing to do is abandon your Linden Home, so that you free up your 1024 sq m land allowance. Once you have done that, you can start land shopping! Although there are various ways to find land, including using Search or looking at the auction page, I prefer just opening the map in world and looking at the yellow squares that indicate land that is for sale. Visit a bunch and get a feel for what you like, and compare prices because some are very cheap and some are outrageous. If you have more questions about buying Mainland, come over the the Mainland part of these forums and you can get lots of advice. :) 

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/291-mainland/

EDIT: You can also shop for Mainland parcels here: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/286-parcels-for-sale-mainland/

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 5

When I was looking for land I used all of the above methods:

Looking for yellow spots on the map,

Going to 'Search' and checking "Land for Sale",

Looking at the auctions,

Looking at the forum Land topic "Parcels for Sale".

In addition I also made temporary landmarks, i.e., "Possibility #1", etc...as I explored so that I could find likely parcels again.

Sometimes I would take a pod ride and set my viewer to "Show land owners" so that parcels I passed would show yellow. This method gives you a better idea of the terrain, but it is harder to make landmarks, and my viewer acts weird if I do it for too long.

Have fun!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

p.s. if you find a parcel that you really like but it's price is too high, offer the owner what you can afford.  It worked for me.  

And a variation: If you find a parcel that you really like but it's not for sale, contact the owner and ask them if they would please keep you in mind if they decide to sell. I got a great snowy parcel I'd always wanted by just asking if I could buy it. :) 

• Like 4

Another thing you can do is look for abandoned land. As long as it is not roadside or waterside, you can submit a support ticket and if you are the only person asking, they will sell it to you for L$1 per sqare metre.

If the parcel of abandoned land is too big they can split it up for you, just tell them how much you want and where you want the corners to be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Another thing you can do is look for abandoned land. As long as it is not roadside or waterside, you can submit a support ticket and if you are the only person asking, they will sell it to you for L$1 per sqare metre.

If the parcel of abandoned land is too big they can split it up for you, just tell them how much you want and where you want the corners to be.

I did not know that!  Thank you

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Maitimo said:

If the parcel is less than the minimum 512 sq needed to be listed for auction (at least, I assume that's a rule), then go ahead and ask for it no matter where it's located. I got a great 496 sq m roadside spot this way very recently. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:04 PM, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

If the parcel is less than the minimum 512 sq needed to be listed for auction (at least, I assume that's a rule), then go ahead and ask for it no matter where it's located. I got a great 496 sq m roadside spot this way very recently. 

I did not know this. Thank you. 

Another thing I just though of that I forgot to mention - if the abandoned land is adjacent to land you already own, they will also often allow you to buy it even if it's roadside/waterside. 

If you're not the only one asking however, they'll put it up for auction instead.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 1

Cool VL viewer has a feature that lets you search for land sales, and sort them by price or area.

On 1/29/2022 at 3:04 PM, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

512 sq needed to be listed for auction

I think I've seen ~slightly smaller up for auction if it was adult land. I could be misremembering though.

• Like 1

When it comes to buying abandoned land, it is no true answer. I have no success, unless I owned land in the region before. I give up auctions. Someone runs an App or any device that wins any auction before it is humanly possible to react.

I believe the outcome of buying abandoned land depends as much upon the Linden that reads your ticket, as it does on location.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NanashiNyx said:

Abandoned land tickets have taken me anywhere from hours to weeks to have responded to, as long as you're not bumping the tier you pay with the purchase most abandoned land buys don't seem to be all that pressing unless they are a prime spot and multiple people are requesting it.

Really? That hasn’t been my experience at all. I’ve been buying and reselling abandon land for almost a year now and I’ve only gotten tickets rejected when it’s less than 512, someone else wanted the parcel, or Lindens we’re actually planning to do something with the area I was trying to claim. Even when I started, most of my tickets were answered in a few days (during normal business hours) and over the last few months I’ve claimed parcels that are roadside, region edge, and on the water. Sailable water, even! :)

To the OP - If you are wanting to go this method (which I recommend! It’s soooo cheap!), pull up the big map and look around at the continents. You’ll see empty regions and big open spaces, even on the water and roadside. It will take some time, but with an hour or two of genuine looking, you can totally find some amazing places. 

And if you don’t want to hunt them down yourself, check out the Mainland Parcels for Sale Forum - there are a lot of super reasonable parcels for less than $5L a sqm! :) There are tons of people like me who hunt down spots, claim them, rehab them with pretty landscaping and mesh homes, and then put them up for sale for anyone to buy. 

Happy Hunting! 

Edited by Feorie Frimon
Typos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Teresa Firelight said:

I bought more than one abandoned land parcel and later even expanded it to include ajacent abandoned land as a second ticket ... back about 3 or 4 years ago. My experience was about 2 weeks from request to owning the property. Perhaps the amount of time it took depends on when you were doing the purchase.

One thing that will delay a parcel being set for sale is if it has not been abandoned long enough. They allow some leeway in case the prior owner wants to reclaim it. That being said, my most recent purchases of abandoned land took no more than a few days unless an exception like I just mentioned was  involved.

3 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

One thing that will delay a parcel being set for sale is if it has not been abandoned long enough. They allow some leeway in case the prior owner wants to reclaim it. That being said, my most recent purchases of abandoned land took no more than a few days unless an exception like I just mentioned was  involved.

oh these parcels had been abandoned for almost a year. I think that the team was just busy with other requests and it took them a while to get to mine. (I had other property on that region so I had been watching it for a long time before I decided to get it.)

14 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

When it comes to buying abandoned land, it is no true answer. I have no success, unless I owned land in the region before. I give up auctions. Someone runs an App or any device that wins any auction before it is humanly possible to react.

I believe the outcome of buying abandoned land depends as much upon the Linden that reads your ticket, as it does on location.

I've had the same experience.  I was told they would not sell me abandoned land unless I already own land adjacent to it.  

We will attempt to assist with a direct sale to the Resident who has made the request, so please submit a ticket as soon as you are aware of the abandoned location. We attempt to give priority to those who already have land in the region, so please let us know if the request is for neighboring or additional land within the same region. We will try to assist with a direct sale of the abandoned land at a the price of L$1 per square meter.

In some cases, abandoned land may not be eligible for a direct sale. In these cases we will attempt to make the land available for sale via the auction system. Here are some of the reasons that requested land may need to be offered as an auction:

• The location has a limited amount of abandoned land in the region.
  • The location is neighboring protected land or waterfront.
  • The location is in a themed area such as Bay City, Horizons, or Nautilus.
  • The location offers bonus object use.
  • The location is Adult rated.
  • The location is newly abandoned and not known to be available.

These are only guidelines; each request is considered on a case-by-case basis and we may not be able to assist by making an abandoned parcel available as a direct sale or auction.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TT120 said:

I've had the same experience.  I was told they would not sell me abandoned land unless I already own land adjacent to it.  

That is only true in some situations -- see the stuff that Sylvia posted.  

I'd say that the majority of the time these days, folks can get almost any abandoned land that they want.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, yestothis said:

That’s nice. I submitted a request once and the power that be immediately put it up for auction and someone bid it up to 50k for a 1800sqm of mainland. But I’m glad your experience is better :)

As previously mentioned, if it is a highly desirable location (next to sailable water, some roadways, the railway, etc...) then LL will pretty much always send it to auction.  If you want an almost certainty of getting an abandoned plot, find something inland, not next to traffic ways.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.