Couldn't We Be More Friendly?

Suga Bunny

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 806 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 2/6/2022 at 5:12 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

...raises her hand and shouts, "Hey! Nice person over here!"

That's not just my opinion of myself. I've been told so many times "Wow, you are so nice!" when I thought I'd just been being ordinarily polite and helpful. Or even, suspiciously, "Why are you being so nice to me?" I think it says more about the average niceness level than about me.

Hello nice one. I am sure you are nice.

• Like 1

I realize one thing this morning.

Communication is SL is not the same as RL.  when I read as in RL ... in SL ... This is wrong at least for me.

My experience : I am very natural and react as I react in RL. Always honest (straigh or direct)  I prefer a joke sometimes than serious  too In my culture people are very kind and sweet.  But withour revealing my cultural backgroud I must say that it is the most complicated ununderstandable and contracditory culture. compare to others who seam more simple to understand... I have my own way of communication because it is me. I like to feel the other and make confortable. We are all different. The same sentence could be understood differently according to people. then I try to be clear as much as possible.

But in SL it is not the same. It is like an other country with special unspoken rules. I see that somewhere. And I don't know the rules or all. When I try to do my best I can break the rules. And been blocked for example.

Communication on SL should be learned. You can learn by experience (mistake) or maybe it is obvious for others.

I realise that if I cannot communicate with other on SL it is because I didn't know how to do it.  It is very simple. SL is a culture in itself. Probably influenced by american or english culture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

I realize one thing this morning.

Communication is SL is not the same as RL.  when I read as in RL ... in SL ... This is wrong at least for me.

I realise that if I cannot communicate with other on SL it is because I didn't know how to do it.  It is very simple. SL is a culture in itself. Probably influenced by american or english culture.

Well.. we do chat using English over here, aren't we..

DE9i.gif

Edited by Nick0678

51 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Linden Lab is an American company. JFHC, do the research before inserting foot in mouth.

The Lab is but the poster specifically referred to SecondLife which is made up of residents from a variety of countries and cultures, which each contribute to the totality of the S/L culture vs that of the Lab. If the poster sees a preponderance of American and or UK influence then that is perhaps because they are on at a time when residents from those locale's are on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The Lab is but the poster specifically referred to SecondLife which is made up of residents from a variety of countries and cultures, which each contribute to the totality of the S/L culture vs that of the Lab. If the poster sees a preponderance of American and or UK influence then that is perhaps because they are on at a time when residents from those locale's are on.

14dc296c578063ac83e4060e04260fe3.gif

LL takes my euro as good as your dollar.
So SL is an international community.

Just because LL is an American company doesn't make it America first.
For that you need a certain former American and (in my view) hopefully not next president.

That the used language is mostly English is because most people at least know the basics of that language.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

In 2010, the United States Supreme Court case of Hertz Corp. v. Friend concluded the principal place of business refers to the place where corporations' high-level officers direct, control and coordinate the corporations' activities. A corporation's state of incorporation and principal place of business each count for (or against) diversity jurisdiction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertz_Corp._v._Friend

Linden Lab is an American company domiciled in California, USA. 

Where residents of SL are domiciled in real life has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not LL is an American company.

10 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Where residents of SL are domiciled in real life has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not LL is an American company.

That's a very good point, although the question that Gabriel raised is not really about Linden Lab. It's about why the residents he meets seem to communicate the way that Americans do. He guesses that it's because a hefty number of residents live in North America.  Arielle refined the guess by saying that Gabriel may be logging in to SL at a time when there are even more North Americans on line than usual.  Personally, I think there's something to both guesses. Whether LL is a U.S. corporation has a lot to do with why a huge number of residents are American, but it's incidental information for Gabriel's question.

• Like 1

I don't know that SL is mostly used by folks from North America.  Someone had posted some stats long ago that showed that there were more Europeans, as a whole, in SL than folks from North America.  Specifically by country, yes USA may be the largest, but I wouldn't put money on most people in SL being American.  And all those European countries all have differing ways of viewing things and differing ways of communicating.  Thus, if the OP is encountering mostly folks that behave like Americans, I'd go with someone else's comment that it is likely primarily due to the timeframe that the OP is logging in during.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

...For that you need a certain former American and (in my view) hopefully not next president....

Oh, how I wish he were a former American.  Then he couldn't run for president again.

Edited by kali Wylder

39 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Someone had posted some stats long ago that showed that there were more Europeans, as a whole, in SL than folks from North America.

Would be great to see those stats. The only I was able to find was this very old research from 2007 (https://www.comscore.com/Insights/Press-Releases/2007/05/Second-Life-Growth-Worldwide) that says there was 61% Europeans in SL at that time and only 19% from North America.

Edited by tomm55
missing word

28 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Here are the stats for SecondLife.com visitors during January..

(*a lot of them might be guests, but regardless of that its used to buy/sell lindens, visit the forums, manage homes/lands/memberships etc)

Ep5mezY.png

Could you also please provide link/URL where does it come from?

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

And all those European countries all have differing ways of viewing things and differing ways of communicating. 

Of course the U.S is a country and these folks are it's citizens, on the other hand when talking about Europeans what all of us have in common is that we speak totally different languages, live in different countries with totally different customs/cultures, etc,

(*talking about the continent, not E.U, that's just an economical union to trade better and make money easier, means anbolutely nothing, plus the U.K isn't even part of it, but i am sure there will be folks believing that a person from Eire and a person from Cyprus have a lot in common..)

Edited by Nick0678

Just now, tomm55 said:

Could you also please provide link/URL where does it come from?

Those are webpage hits, not in-world numbers, so it´s pretty irrelevant.

Even if you asume the same numbers will match in-world, both premises about the majority of users being european or from US is wrong (according to that graph)

6 minutes ago, Suga Bunny said:

everyone flew over the entire point of couldn't we be more friendly 😂

Your actual opening post was merely a comment and a bit vague on what you really wanted to discuss.  You then followed up with:

On 1/27/2022 at 11:00 AM, Suga Bunny said:

I mean Some people unconsciously do impolite things on a daily and don't realize it at all and some do it intentionally. 

I'm Curious What People Think or have experienced or noticed 🤔

Thus people started saying what they think, what they have experienced, what they have noticed

The comments might not all jive with what you think/experienced/noticed, but they are all valid comments for the topic.

Thus I wouldn't say that "everyone flew over the entire point".

(Yes, I realize that you were probably making the opening statement because you, personally, think us forum folks are mean most of the time and need to be more friendly.)

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Suga Bunny said:

SOME flew over the entire point of couldn't we be more friendly 😂

at least  i mean since some stayed topic some making it entirely about the new topic thrown in there

You'll have to admit that most of us were really friendly about it.  😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 806 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.