Couldn't We Be More Friendly?

Suga Bunny

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 806 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, always.

But I am not seeing this becoming rare. Nearly everyone I associate with in-world is kind, generous, and friendly. And those whom I engage with most often here are too. So I'm not depressed or discouraged at all -- they are the reason I'm still here, all of them.

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes, always.

But I am not seeing this becoming rare. Nearly everyone I associate with in-world is kind, generous, and friendly. And those whom I engage with most often here are too. So I'm not depressed or discouraged at all -- they are the reason I'm still here, all of them.

Even when we are at our most finicky.

5c4b9c99a3112a9411d36cffd523971c.gif

Or bearing gifts.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76111d57380817316edb82

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

I mean Some people unconsciously do impolite things on a daily and don't realize it at all and some do it intentionally. 

I'm Curious What People Think or have experienced or noticed 🤔

Edited by Suga Bunny
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

In general, the SL forums are a lot more relaxed than a few years ago IMHO.
Of course trolls are a thingy right from the start of the Internet and will probably do the last post on the WWW as well.

And then there are the cultural differences.
I'm from the Netherlands and we Dutch are pretty straight forward when we talk to each other. That may sound rude at times for people from other countries.
To me the British are masters in not exactly saying what they want to say at times.
And so has almost every country its cultural thingies.

On top of that all non native English speakers don't always have the right vocabulary and finesses of the English language at hand to describe exactly what they want to say.
This might give wrong impressions at times as well.

And last but not least, people tend to think that all the countries in the western world are similar in the way people think and act.
That is totally not the case. Northern America, South America, Europe and Asia may understand each others English, but they are so different culturally, in the way of thinking, education, the way of showing emotions, politically and what not. Just because we buy each others cars and goods, does not make us the same.

That all comes together in international forums.
It makes it interesting to hang around in international forums IMHO. And never a dull moment (at least at times.)

Edited by Sid Nagy
Small adjustments and additions.
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Suga Bunny said:

I mean Some people unconsciously do impolite things on a daily and don't realize it at all and some do it intentionally. 

I'm Curious What People Think or have experienced or noticed 🤔

Not something Ive read, or that I could directly point out at the forum....  but, Ive met people who sometimes say or do rude things as fillers, to avoid uncomfortable silences or to shield themselves from appearing soft and vulnerable.  Snide remarks or general negative comments.  I am aware they dont intend to do any harm and usually it´s their way of being friendly, but it does get a bit tedious sometimes.

Was that what you were refering to?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

On top of that all non native English speakers don't always have the right vocabulary and finesses of the English language at hand to describe exactly what they want to say.

Exactly, that's my case. I sometimes write something and I am not sure whether it will be understood the way I wanted. It can be difficult sometimes to express yourself, especially if other people look for small nuances in the text. Also it can be difficult to identify the mood of someone's else post.

But maybe writing that I am not from an English speaking country could help.

Edited by tomm55
  • Like 4

I agree with @Scylla Rhiadra, friendliness is not rare either inworld or here on the forum. I wouldn't be still here after 13 years if it was unfriendly. 

Sure, every community (even offline ones) have individuals who behave in a trollish way, and other people sometimes get fed up with them. These situations end soon enough in one of two ways - either the troll gets banned, or they get bored and move on.  And in time, there will be another one to entertain the rest of us. And sometimes there are people who, because of language barriers or cultural differences or because they're not neuro-typical, may say things that unintentionally appear to be unfriendly when they really aren't.

But these situations are by no means the majority and they are not typical of other users here.

And yes, @Madelaine McMasters regularly sets people on fire, but that's just her way of being friendly.

I've been a resident of SL for 13 years and a resident of RL for 50, and one of the things I've learned that's appropriate to both worlds is this.

If you meet a few unfriendly people in your life, it's probably them.  If everyone you meet is unfriendly, it's probably you.

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Suga Bunny said:

...rare as a diamond......😥

Diamonds are not particularly rare. In fact, compared to other gemstones, they're the most common precious stone found. ... Therefore, rubies, emeralds and sapphires are much rarer and, in turn, far more expensive than diamonds.

Source: https://www.truefacet.com/guide/makes-diamonds-valuable/

Don't shoot the messenger ;)

----

I live in Belgium, grew up in the Netherlands and i'm half Icelandic. So i'm not even sure what culture i'm suppose to have, but i can relate to what @Sid Nagy said. I too just say it like i feel it. I've noticed being in SL and interacting with Americans that i seem to unintentionally 'offend' them. I don't mean to do that to be fair, but it sometimes is a bit difficult for me to know where the border is if you know what i mean. I hope that made even a little sense :) 

Edited by CaithLynnSayes
Reason for edit: I forgot to put a capital B on Belgium. If my country found out i did that, i'd be shot!
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

I know someone here who needs to hear this, but i'm not going to say who, and all of you know who it is! ;) 

I actually deleted a few lines from my original post because... well, because of that.

13 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

"Oh hi there baby, I've got payment info on file 🥴"
That could make a great opening line. No?
🙈

Size matters... 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

"Oh hi there baby, I've got huge payment info on file. The best payment info there is"*
Like this then?

* No reference to a still living American political person intended.
Pure coincidence.
Honestly.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Man, this is the second thread I'm pulling of topic this week. Sorry.
  • Haha 12

4 hours ago, Suga Bunny said:

Day after day I continue to SEE that kindness is becoming rare as a diamond......😥

Day after day I am certainly encountering more snarkiness. What is wrong with everyone? Sugar butties needed all round maybe. 

Not everyone, but quite a high proportion of folk. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
It might be me. Ohgoditsmeee !
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

In general, the SL forums are a lot more relaxed than a few years ago IMHO.
Of course trolls are a thingy right from the start of the Internet and will probably do the last post on the WWW as well.

And then there are the cultural differences.
I'm from the Netherlands and we Dutch are pretty straight forward when we talk to each other. That may sound rude at times for people from other countries.
To me the British are masters in not exactly saying what they want to say at times.
And so has almost every country its cultural thingies.

And last but not least, people tend to think that all the countries in the western world are similar in the way people think and act.
That is totally not the case. Northern America, South America, Europe and Asia may understand each others English, but they are so different culturally, in the way of thinking, education, the way of showing emotions, politically and what not. Just because we buy each others cars and goods, does not make us the same.

That all comes together in international forums.
It makes it interesting to hang around in international forums IMHO. And never a dull moment (at least at times.)

Off all the Dutch I have come across, you are the least "spikey" and either your attitude or your level of English are just tip top. Hope you don't mind me saying. 

Cor lummy, it's like I've been given the truth drug or something!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Day after day I am certainly encountering more snarkiness. What is wrong with everyone? Sugar butties needed all round maybe. 

Not everyone, but quite a high proportion of folk. 

I think that It might be the global plague attack that's starting to take its toll from people. We want our old lives back without masks, vaccinations and restrictions.
And if you are in America, the sharp political division lines through every aspect of the society are starting to take their toll on that side of the pond as well IMHO.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

I think that It might be the global plague attack that's starting to take its toll with people. We want our old lives back without masks, vaccinations and restrictions.

Exactly, i got my booster shot the other day and while i was driving up there i was thinking to myself "right, this is it, i'm done with jabs in my arm now and that mask can go pretty soon now as well"

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 806 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.