The red scare

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 831 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I never really took a good look at the SL map during rolling restarts before. But I did now, after noticing the regions on my estate had been offline (and showing red on the map) for over an hour.

35ed549ff0101a605e945feaaa6be88e.jpg.8f077d0f1ea91463868f7e39839e12c3.jpg

Disclaimer: au dessus nést pas mon 'estat'.

It does look pretty ominous.

Is this something to worry about? Or is business as usual on a rolling restart Tuesday? Or is it a keep calm and carry on type of new normal?

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
Made the title more click-baity
  • Haha 3

I'm trying to log in for more than an hour now, so the sim where my plot is, doesn't come back smoothly either.
Now if it was a Wednesday I would chalk it up as nostalgia, but now... more like annoying. 
I need some coffee.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Investigating.
  • Like 1

It isn't normal. Regions show red on the map when the system is not able to connect to the regions. Using Firestorm regions will also appear red on the mini-map/radar. Which is a big help for those of us flying or sailing.

On Tuesday and Wednesday mornings this isn't something to panic about. As pointed out, if your region is down for more than an hour, it is time to say something.

In worst case scenarios the Lab will have messed up the update roll out. It doesn't take the operating team long to realize they have a problem. They have systems that monitor the grid. So, regions down is a signal on their system. Once they identify the problem as specific to the update, they start a rollback to the previous version. This all takes some time. But usually by 10AM they have the grid back up.

Check Grid Status to see if they have noticed the problem. This morning as of 8:12 AM SLT they have.

Finally after over an hour.

Update - We are aware rolling restarts are taking longer than normal, and we are working to bring these regions back online as quickly as possible. We thank you for your patience! Please follow this blog for further updates.
Jan 25, 08:06 PST

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

"Teleports and region crossings still fail after 20 years doing this. Today most of our grid is offline. Gee, wonder why the metaverse hype isn't including us."

Before the move to AWS we could blame it all on LL. Now LL shares the blame. I'm just pointing out that it may not be LL's fault this time. Like it wasn't LL's fault not too long ago.

23 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Before the move to AWS we could blame it all on LL. Now LL shares the blame. I'm just pointing out that it may not be LL's fault this time. Like it wasn't LL's fault not too long ago.

In that case, LL is to blame that they moved their business to AWS.
😆

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Last time I tried I was kicked in some fountain on another sim.
They should have rolled back the whole thing by now if it was some code trouble in the new version.
My guess AWS is involved somehow too with their 'service' or the lack of it.

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

Last time I tried I was kicked in some fountain on another sim.
They should have rolled back the whole thing by now if it was some code trouble in the new version.
My guess AWS is involved somehow too with their 'service' or the lack of it.

hey sid this is the resource I use that's free.  it's updated about as often as my actual status page for what I run. 

https://status.aws.amazon.com/

• Thanks 2

/me does happy dance.

I'm in. The region that holds my land finally returned online again.
Watching the Witcher helped.
Magic and fighting skills are needed. 🤪

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Watching the Witcher helped.

You know when Netflix suggests something else to watch when the credits starts rolling, right? Well one time the credits started rolling and it suggested me The Witcher showing a monster looking straight "at me". Scared the freaking bejesus outta me!

• Haha 1

If you love magical stories, with elves, dragons, witchers, monsters and other world stuff. This series is a must.
The sound effects are incredible too when you listen with soundbar or headphone.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sid Nagy said:

If you love magical stories, with elves, dragons, witchers, monsters and other world stuff. This series is a must.
The sound effects are incredible too when you listen with soundbar or headphone.

Well, your avatar picture made me re-watch 'allo 'allo when i first saw it, so i guess i'll go and do that too one day ;) 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 831 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.