BBC reporter visits Second Life

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 935 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, AnnabelleApocalypse said:

I love SL for that. But corporations hate that stuff. Thats why the next SL will never spring from a corporation like facebook. Because they will stunt the creativity in favour of "family friendliness". 

I'm not a corporation. I assume that you're not a corporation. They may use the platform, but if they do it'll be specifically because of the residents. (People > Corporations) & (Corporations != People).

"Family values" is neurolinguistics for societal control and cultural genocide. We had it all, our golden age was upon us in the 1970s, but "family values" walked in and destroyed the world while my parents' generation betrayed their own ideals of equality and government for, by, and of The People. Will we ever understand how this was possible? How do you make an entire generation make a 180-degree turn against itself? There should be no amount of money that would entice you to betray everything that you believe in and stand for, but that's exactly what happened, isn't it? It lacks legitimacy. Thank goodness reality is illusionary. It's all just a bad dream.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/06/family-values-conservatism-is-finally-dead.html

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Haha 1

I now have absolutely zero clues what your talking about anymore :) 

Yes, corporations are made up of people..............?

So you think Facebook WILL allow flying freeners, because facebook is a corporation and corporations are made of people? Im not sure where your going with this. 

Edited by AnnabelleApocalypse

6 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

I'm not a corporation. I assume that you're not a corporation. They may use the platform, but if they do it'll be because of the residents. People > Corporations. 

"Family values" is neurolinguistics for societal control and cultural genocide. We had it all, our golden age was upon us in the 1970s, but "family values" walked in and destroyed the world while my parent's generation betrayed their own ideals. 

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/06/family-values-conservatism-is-finally-dead.html

Ok hunny, keep taking the tablets! *cautiously backs away from the chat*

Edited by AnnabelleApocalypse
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, AnnabelleApocalypse said:

So you think Facebook WILL allow flying freeners, because facebook is a corporation and corporations are made of people?

I think we should expect Facebook to die a well-deserved ugly death.

Edited by tailpa
Cambridge Analytica. No statute of limitations. Crimes against democracy, privacy, and freedom beyond measure. Capital offenses. May examples be made of them that will send chills through the spines of posterity's potential perpetrators. For greater good.

38 minutes ago, tailpa said:

I think we should expect Facebook to die a well-deserved ugly death.

Cambridge Analytica. No statute of limitations. Crimes against democracy, privacy, and freedom beyond measure. Capital offenses. May examples be made of them that will send chills through the spines of posterity's potential perpetrators. For greater good.

I am certain that this can be resolved without the death penalty, but it must be resolved, just like the unprosecuted crimes against humanity and war crimes awaiting credible justice. Not resolving them is absolutely not a realistic option. And anyway, it would appear that death just isn't that scary of a consequence to people anymore. We need higher help on this one, apparently.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, AnnabelleApocalypse said:

Name me another space that allows the creative freedom of SL. There aren't any. 

Active Worlds. The only real issue with it other than age (older than SL) is the blockiness of the graphics. Not like Roblox or whatever, as it's not voxel based.

Create your own stuff for your worlds and host them and your objects/textures/etc on your own pc if you want. Can't do that with SL though.

Active Worlds is over 25 years old now and still going.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, animats said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-59180273

They interviewed Anya Kanevsky, VP of product management at Linden Lab.

It's not an overtly bad impression of SL, and at least they used recent pictures. And I agree with this bit:

"The entry of a slightly oversized and outsized player into the space seems to signal to people that they are not the owners of it, that someone else is going to be setting the rules and kind of running the show and they will just be the consumers."

The comparison to Roblox is irksome, but, eh.. may draw a few more people who are genuinely interested to give SL a try. 

3/5 stars for BBC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Akane Nacht said:

may draw a few more people who are genuinely interested to give SL a try. 

Maybe.

Second Life is potentially more mainstream now than it has been in the past. Matthew Ball, the venture capitalist, pointed this out in his series of metaverse essays. Because of the COVID epidemic, some form of remote presence is the new normal. The stigma of using a virtual world is gone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, animats said:

The stigma of using a virtual world is gone.

Yeah well.. still if you go out on a date in the Real World it would be wise to avoid saying anything about SL
(especially things such as registration date..).

30327609.gif

Edited by Nick0678
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

The major news media won't put resources into a well-rounded story unless they smell something that's going to make a difference to lots of people, or something that sounds like a train wreck.  The crowd loves a train wreck.

👀 Z Berg avatar spotted sashaying about in rainbow glitter shorts and body oil with a wind up Will Robinson doll in ZINDRA! 😱
 📞☎️ brrrrp brrrp.... brrrrp brrrp....
Hello?... TV 7, Radio 99, BBC,  ABC, CH24, Canal Ocho TV,  KBEX-TV, WTVH Buffalo,  Troutbridge TV, .............................................

"It's a future that is beyond any one company. That will be made by all of us,"

I don't believe Zuckerberg at all in regards to anyone being in control of "Metaverse" besides his company.  I predict the level of control is gonna be suffocating for users. I'll stay here, thanks

• Like 3

I skimmed the report. I think it was quite good, instead of focussing on bop-till-you-drop clubs he chose a quirky little place that emphasises the uniqueness of SecondLife and the creativity it allows the inhabitants. He does also report that SecondLife does not have typical game-like targets and goals.

I think it should encourage a few more people to explore, if only lovers of Scotland and Local Hero.

• Like 3

The headline is worth a half a million dollar ad campaign for SL. Truly. That's all you need. Clearly this journalist/the BBC are suspicious of Zuckberg and have all kinds of critiques of it. So they crafted a headline that says Zuckerberg ought to learn lessons from SL -- after all, they enabled users to sell their creations and retain copyright and so on. This is precious. The rest is just fluff.

Zuckerberg's metaverse: Lessons from Second Life

Then there's his lede, which associates SL in a good light with the future. And the nut graph. All of this is priceless and couldn't have been manufactured even if LL hired the most fabulous ad agency and paid them a fortune.

It has been about 10 years since I first entered the virtual world of Second Life, arguably the internet's first attempt at what every tech giant is now racing to build: the so-called metaverse.

The term metaverse was coined in the 1990s in a science-fiction novel, Snow Crash, where it served as a virtual-reality successor to the internet, where people live large portions of their lives in virtual environments.

Second Life peaked in the late 2000s with millions of users and hundreds of excitable headlines about people devoting hours of their daily lives to live digitally.

Since then, I assumed it had died a slow and quiet death. But how wrong I was.

Nothing to complain about here whatsoever.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, cunomar said:

Our international friends should know , if the BBC supports anything at all then it typically indicates the vast majority of Brits don't .

image.thumb.png.a23cab15d929ecd4d709fabe850efeac.png

Can we 𝙥𝙡𝙚𝙖𝙨𝙚 just let's not be dreadful? This is the 21st century, PLEASE get with the times already. This sort of strong-arming was completely intolerable and obsolete centuries ago.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, cunomar said:

Our international friends should know , if the BBC supports anything at all then it typically indicates the vast majority of Brits don't .

"The BBC is under scrutiny. Here’s what research tells about its role in the UK"

"The BBC is the most widely used source of news in the UK. It has lower reach among the young and the less formally educated".

https://reutersinstitute.politics.ox.ac.uk/news/bbc-under-scrutiny-heres-what-research-tells-about-its-role-uk

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 10:40 AM, PixelBerry said:

Honestly I rather want a talented resident of Second life to make a journalist type of youtube video interviewing different kinds of players, new and old, from different communities. As well as exploring popular and non popular places, perhaps more of our photogenic places to show what Second life can be when people put a lot of love for what they like to do.

It is important to ask what Second life is for everyone, what Second life has done or helped for you, what Second life has learned you, what you do on here, what you can do on here, what the possibilities is when everyone can work together, Second life is far from limited on what it can do if different talented people work together, scriptors, animators, meshers, it's endless.

We already have this. Some of the SL Journalists names are Draxtor Depres, Wagner James Au, and Inara Pey.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 1:22 PM, Rolig Loon said:

... LL has managed to keep going because it's a niche environment and it's not too big to be manageable.  Its appeal for most of us is that users control a lot of the content. Even if we aren't creators making new mesh and all that, we decorate our homes and landscapes.  We customize our world. The tradeoff is that many of us decorate in inappropriate ways.  We create ugly surroundings and we annoy each other by building eyesores.  LL has a hard time keeping up with ARs, and they rarely bother sending out company squads to enforce the rules.  A company the size of LL can manage this way because SL doesn't have high public visibility and the users are (usually) pretty tolerant. We gripe about LL and about each other, but it's all in house.

Imagine what would happen if a high profile outfit like Facebook tried something similar.  They'd either have to restrict users' ability to customize severely or they'd need to hire a very large, expensive staff to keep it under control. With a large user base, they would be under a lot more scrutiny from media and regulators/politicians than LL is, so they'd have less wiggle room to get it right.  Meanwhile, SL can continue to chug along under the radar with its niche community.

Exactly. We long term residents love this crazy virtual world, not despite it's weirdness but in part because of it. Haven't we all heard old-timers wax over how messed up SL used to be when teleporting would drive one's hair into their ass? Haven't we all traded stories fondly of when some newbie wandered into our home or hit us up inappropriately for virtual sex? If Facebook can't control it's users well enough now to avoid stoking riots and having their content police become nearly suicidal over content they see, how could they possibly control the user-created content in a 3D virtual world such as SL? Meta's version of the Metaverse will likely be as suffocating and stale as it's current 2D platforms are, with ads and algorithm-controlled content at every turn. It will take the small, innovative and truly adventurous companies to create the kind of Metaverse portrayed in Snow Crash or Ready Player One.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3

On 11/6/2021 at 1:59 PM, animats said:

9500 of them probably would be minimum-wage censors. Roblox has about 4000 censors, outsourced to some staffing company in India, and a few hundred staff in California making the thing go.

So that's why Zuck said he was going to hire all those bodies for his metaverse! I was really puzzled at first. Something as silly as Roblox has over 4000 censors lol, I had no clue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kitten5ylph said:

So that's why Zuck said he was going to hire all those bodies for his metaverse! I was really puzzled at first. Something as silly as Roblox has over 4000 censors lol, I had no clue.

Average age of a Roblox user is age 13. They have to censor hard to keep the parents happy.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 935 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.