Meta?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 970 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 10/30/2021 at 7:39 PM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

well with with them creating this,  I can predict it will get massive, a huge scandal will take place, it will shutdown,  guess what's still here SL,   the only thing LL can not do is sell out to zuck,  money should be no object and we should not have to worry about it.

Why would LL not sell our ro Facebook?

22 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

you want most of us to leave with our middle fingers up,  sell out to them, that's the best idea.  your whole user base,  cept maybe one group of people...  will bail.

The stages of grief will play out .. 

Stake holders will lament the lost users ..

Surm81t.gif

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

you want most of us to leave with our middle fingers up,  sell out to them, that's the best idea.  your whole user base,  cept maybe one group of people...  will bail.

I had a club owner tell me if Freakbook bought SL or Linden Lab, she would bail faster then some running for the hills.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I had a club owner tell me if Freakbook bought SL or Linden Lab, she would bail faster then some running for the hills.

and then do what? 

If FB buy SL and don't murder it on the spot, SL will grow .. massively, so will the size and scope of platform development.

We wont like it, but we will be an irrelevant minority of oldbies overnight, the vast majority will just "wait and see".

• Like 1

If FB bought SL ... expect copyright infringement lawsuits to drop like Thors hammer on Zuckerberg due to the "unique" creations that exist in Second Life (ripped from other games)... I am sure he won't even touch it with his little finger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

and then do what? 

If FB buy SL and don't murder it on the spot, SL will grow .. massively, so will the size and scope of platform development.

We wont like it, but we will be an irrelevant minority of oldbies overnight, the vast majority will just "wait and see".

Some of us hate Freakbook like the plague. I know I'd move on.

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

move on and do .... what though

Like really, everyone you know is here, all your stuff is here .. if half the people you're attached to decide to wait and see

Actually I pretty much moved on. I rarely log in anymore -- I'm mostly a forum junkie. Only know one other person from the game and she's on another mboard I'm on.

5 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Actually I pretty much moved on. I rarely log in anymore -- I'm mostly a forum junkie. Only know one other person from the game and she's on another mboard I'm on.

myself and my girlfriend would move on,   facebook will be the death of SL,   some would argue "no it wont"   sterlized and censored,  yes yes it would and the crazies would come here and we dont need that bs drama.

• Like 1

Facebook and SL do not mix. LL already tried. 

Is FB still deleting obvious SL accounts or have people just stopped reporting them? I remember a lot of people complaining about their FB accounts for their SL avatars being deleted, before and after SLShare supposedly went live. Is it still in the LL viewer? I never used it. Heard about the deletions and never bothered.

I don't know what SL would have to offer meta, I don't believe the two would be competitors and the direction meta is taking is more VR oriented.  If they did purchase SL for some reason, I might stick around but would probably just move over to opensim as I don't like supporting FB.

36 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Is FB still deleting obvious SL accounts or have people just stopped reporting them?

They deleted the one I created a couple of years ago, I moved over to MeWe since then which has a few SL and OS groups.  I mostly use it to keep up with dreamgrid stuff.

I still don't see how Meta can acquire anybody now. Maybe after five or so long years of very careful government relations—most importantly, firing Nick Clegg—but they've never been capable of that kind of self-discipline. Sheryl Sandberg is no kind of substitute for professional PR.

And I also don't see much in SL that Meta would want, frankly. They'd hire away any developers they could get, but they'd hire any warm body who can count to 3D in hex. 

On the other hand, I can imagine a future in which Meta's various platforms grow up and SL simply becomes a commercial tenant in the new blue Zuckerverse, replacing a whole bunch of hard-to-maintain, expensive-to-update software, keeping LL's customer-facing business while dramatically reducing its need for in-house technology. That's not a prediction, just one possibility.

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I still don't see how Meta can acquire anybody now. Maybe after five or so long years of very careful government relations—most importantly, firing Nick Clegg—but they've never been capable of that kind of self-discipline. Sheryl Sandberg is no kind of substitute for professional PR.

And I also don't see much in SL that Meta would want, frankly. They'd hire away any developers they could get, but they'd hire any warm body who can count to 3D in hex. 

On the other hand, I can imagine a future in which Meta's various platforms grow up and SL simply becomes a commercial tenant in the new blue Zuckerverse, replacing a whole bunch of hard-to-maintain, expensive-to-update software, keeping LL's customer-facing business while dramatically reducing its need for in-house technology. That's not a prediction, just one possibility.

Not being compared to our little weirdo corner of the internet whenever the metaverse gets a mention is probably worth it alone.

22 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

If FB did buy and keep S/L active there would be a major purging first of TPV viewers, then many of the options even available in the S/L viewer and then a clearing out of oodles of the adult content and regions. Failing that, put the grid on ice and simply start up a new, empty one with limits on the type of content that can be uploaded.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 970 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.