New Gacha Policy Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

25 minutes ago, Rathgrith027 said:

You don't need to do that. If the gacha's assets are already on the asset server, you can just reconfigure their permissions, slap them into a vendor or onto the MP and call it a day (or go onto the next one).

You don't even have to do that. The simplest thing would be to change the script in the gacha machine to sell the exact same items directly instead of randomly. Most gacha sets seem to only briefly popular; selling older items directly, even at the pull price, may well be more profitable than keeping them as gachas.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, maddisonave said:

But isn't that exactly what the anti gacha crowd is doing here?  Isn't that the reason behind many of these posts is that they want their SPECIFIC item and they want it now?  They're upset that they don't get exactly what they want when they want it, so no more gachas because its gambling lol.  They might not leave SL but had the evil machines removed.  

Either you are not reading any of the other posts or you are just being obstinate. 

The Gachas are not going away because anyone here thinks they are evil. 
They are not going away because somebody doesn't want to have to pay the machine possibly multiple times in order to get what they want.
They are not going away because of anything that any Resident thinks or wants or does.

Gachas are going away because LL's legal counsel has advised them to ban them.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

A gacha merchant like any other merchant has all their merchandise totally ready in their in world inventory. Otherwise they can't put it up in world in a gacha or vendor.

What they have to do if they want to make a fatpack for the marketplace:
Put all the items in a named folder, check if the permissions are set correctly and drop the folder in the marketplace folder.

The rest of the marketplace work is done trough the PC on the marketplace website.  And takes about 5 - 10 minutes to finalize. Depending how much time and effort you put in the descriptions.
The pictures of those items are already on their computers because there are already pictures in the gacha.
And then it is: push the final button and it is on the marketplace like forever. Let the money roll in (or not) .

I get that but having to do that over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, etc etc etc.....thats what i am saying. Its time consuming because there is no batch upload when you have hundreds of gachas. Thats been my whole original point.

Uploading a single item and calling it a day...thats a luxury these gacha creators don't have. Is it really worth spending all that time to upload their gachas? Only they can answer that but from what I am seeing on Facebook....people might be losing their fav creators.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Jian has already converted 3 of their Gacha's to fatpacks for $1,800 each. Seems very reasonable to me as you get everything. This is an example of a creator not whining about how terrible this is and went to work to fix it to benefit them. The still have the Gacha's till Sept 1st but they are easing customers into the new way it will be sold. Great job Jian!

I got my lovely flying dragon from one pull of a 50L gacha, I didn't care what colour it was I just wanted ONE.  I am on a budget.  How on god's green earth is paying 1800L (even if I can afford it lol) a win for consumers like me?  Sure creators can sell fatpacks.  I am betting they will sell FAR LESS.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

A lot of creators left when mesh was introduced.  Some amazing creations.  SL has survived and will again.

I closed MY business down when mesh was introduced. At the time I wasn't good enough in blender to make stuff worth selling and building the kind of stuff I made out of prims was immediately obsolete because the LI was, to use a classic SL-ism "too darn high" - Now I am but I haven't the RL hours to keep up. I have an ongoing project to fully update what was once my flagship product and bring it back, since nobody has yet made one like it, but I've still got about 500 anims to make and a few thousand lines of script to write and optimise before it is even close to done.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, maddisonave said:

But isn't that exactly what the anti gacha crowd is doing here?  Isn't that the reason behind many of these posts is that they want their SPECIFIC item and they want it now?  They're upset that they don't get exactly what they want when they want it, so no more gachas because its gambling lol.  They might not leave SL but had the evil machines removed.  

I think thats the root of the issue. I dont play gacha for one item. I want the whole set. I compare it to the price of a fatpack, not the price of a single item. Since I almost always rather the fatpack over the single. And I find some vendors have a business model where I am either punished for buying the single with lesser options or gouged for buying the fatpack. More often then not I end up paying less than what others pay for a fatpack (using a 2500-3000 threshold). Except rather than just right-clicking and paying for said fatpack I get to play a game while socializing with my friends and making trades for the pieces I am missing.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I disagree LittleMe as Patch has 2-3 times used posts to clarify the Labs stance on this new rule. Acting like it is all said and done except for the tears is incorrect from what I have been seeing of the official responses.

They are clarifying what other items besides normal Gacha machines might be impacted.  The basic ban on Gacha is "all said and done".  The following LL comment supports my statement on that.

image.png.e324028d4d24596b692331bd61e652b3.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, VanessaJane66 said:

I got my lovely flying dragon from one pull of a 50L gacha, I didn't care what colour it was I just wanted ONE.  I am on a budget.  How on god's green earth is paying 1800L (even if I can afford it lol) a win for consumers like me?  Sure creators can sell fatpacks.  I am betting they will sell FAR LESS.

How do you figure that? 36 people have to buy one gacha at $L50 to equal one fatpack of $L1800. ONE person buying a fatpack will make up for that and trust me there is the market for it.  I'm sorry that you are on a budget but not everyone can afford everything in SL. You'll have to save your money I guess.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chris Nova said:

I get that but having to do that over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, etc etc etc.....thats what i am saying. Its time consuming because there is no batch upload when you have hundreds of gachas. Thats been my whole original point.

Uploading a single item and calling it a day...thats a luxury these gacha creators don't have. Is it really worth spending all that time to upload their gachas? Only they can answer that but from what I am seeing on Facebook....people might be losing their fav creators.

Creators in SL come and go all the time. Year after year. Some stick around for a while, others don't. 

If they can't roll with the punches, they will leave or just revert to being an average resident. There is nothing you or I or anyone else can say or do that will change that. They are the ones who make that decision for themselves. It's not on us or you to convince them of anything.

They can either put on their big girl panties and pull them up or not. That is not our decision to make, or yours either.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

Additionally, whatever comes out on the other end of this can no longer be called "gacha".  Make no illusions or ways to circumvent getting around it, but "gacha" is gone for good; we should not call it that anymore going forward with any proposed idea to reincarnate it in some way.  We have been seeing a lot of good suggestions on new, interesting ways to sell content, many of which we have given to our general counsel for further legal opinion.  When we have that information back, the FAQ will be updated.

Thank you, it's good to know our suggestions on solutions to sell content are being considered rather than immediately shut down.

Although gacha is gone for good. I look forward to what creative solution we can create so that this content can remain within reach to those without a surplus of lindens to buy fatpacks.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

That is the problem for every merchant in SL.
Creating the merchandise is the creative and fun part.
Stuffing vendors in world, listings on the marketplace, administration are mostly a pain in the ... and boring,boring,boring, but has to be done if you choose to be a merchant.

As said elsewhere before: Each and every change means some merchants will give up, some will adapt, new ones will see opportunities to fill in the gaps. SL has a dynamic user base. People come and go. And because merchants are people...

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

How do you figure that? 36 people have to buy one gacha at $L50 to equal one fatpack of $L1800. ONE person buying a fatpack will make up for that and trust me there is the market for it.  I'm sorry that you are on a budget but not everyone can afford everything in SL. You'll have to save your money I guess.

'the customer is always wrong'  hmmm great selling tactic.   No matter how you argue it, there are a lot of customers like me, who have no interest in the fatpacks.  They may buy one, or two or three, but 1800 is a crazy amount for something that is not a necessity.  Patronising customers like me is not a great look.

• Like 2

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

Creators in SL come and go all the time. Year after year. Some stick around for a while, others don't. 

If they can't roll with the punches, they will leave or just revert to being an average resident. There is nothing you or I or anyone else can say or do that will change that. They are the ones who make that decision for themselves. It's not on us or you to convince them of anything.

They can either put on their big girl panties and pull them up or not. That is not our decision to make, or yours either.

Or you can just grow a heart and support a batch upload for the marketplace to make things easier for them and everyone else. LL really did send a shockwave through the gacha community. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

I closed MY business down when mesh was introduced. At the time I wasn't good enough in blender to make stuff worth selling and building the kind of stuff I made out of prims was immediately obsolete because the LI was, to use a classic SL-ism "too darn high" - Now I am but I haven't the RL hours to keep up. I have an ongoing project to fully update what was once my flagship product and bring it back, since nobody has yet made one like it, but I've still got about 500 anims to make and a few thousand lines of script to write and optimise before it is even close to done.

I kind of miss the old prim days. Especially with clothing. Was a lot easier to mix and match outfits. Now you have to know how each vendors rig and what can be matched with what. Like for instance if I like a jacket now I need a shirt that will fit under it without poking through. I know at least a handful of vendors who rig very tight to body that I could go to to find something to wear under the jacket.

PS GL going forward.

Edited by Finite

Just now, VanessaJane66 said:

'the customer is always wrong'  hmmm great selling tactic.   No matter how you argue it, there are a lot of customers like me, who have no interest in the fatpacks.  They may buy one, or two or three, but 1800 is a crazy amount for something that is not a necessity.  Patronising customers like me is not a great look.

What is a necessity in SL? You can get by without spending a dime in SL. If you want a luxury then you will just have to save up for it. Get a job and save. I'm not a seller so however I look is just fine with me. :) Understand the whole topic before you comment on a thread.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, VanessaJane66 said:

Perhaps in the future, places will just start selling little items like your dragon in a simple vendor so you CAN pick.the co!or you want.  Right now, they are just finding a way to make their current gachas available and compliant without upsetting people who may have recently spent money on them.  Going forward, maybe those gacha type items will be in those Saturday sales or 50L Friday.  Jian often had a nice item for 50L set out.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

They are clarifying what other items besides normal Gacha machines might be impacted.  The basic ban on Gacha is "all said and done".  The following LL comment supports my statement on that.

image.png.e324028d4d24596b692331bd61e652b3.png

Whereas at the very least I see this:

A:  We are sorry that we are not able to further extend the policy deadline.  However, we have been able to extend the enforcement of the policy change an additional 30 days.  To be clear, starting on September 1 we expect gacha as a sales mechanism to cease. However we will start with warnings, and any enforcement of the policy as it would be applied on an account will not begin until after September 30.

There are still several great questions which we are working to answer with our legal team.  We will update with additional information as soon as possible.

5 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Or you can just grow a heart and support a batch upload for the marketplace to make things easier for them and everyone else. LL really did send a shockwave through the gacha community. 

The personal attacks are unnecessary. I did not attack you.

File a JIRA.

LL drops bombshells all the time. Get used to it. They drop major ones like this about once a year, minor ones about once every 3 months. It's part of being in SL. Been that way for the 17 years I've been here.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Chris Nova said:

WHAT "batch upload for marketplace" is this of which you speak?

If an item is being sold inworld, via a gacha or any other method, IT IS ALREADY UPLOADED TO THE GRID. It does not need uploading again. It just needs dropping in a folder and that folder copying to your "merchant outbox" in your inventory. Boom, it is available for you to create a marketplace listing for it by signing into marketplace and going to edit your store.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

What is a necessity in SL? You can get by without spending a dime in SL. If you want a luxury then you will just have to save up for it. Get a job and save. I'm not a seller so however I look is just fine with me. :) Understand the whole topic before you comment on a thread.

However offensive you intend to be about customers on a budget like myself there are a lot of us in SL, helping to contribute to the economy.  Sellers who only aim to sell to those with deep pockets are cutting off their noses to spite their faces. I am sure you are currently feeling very smug about your purchasing power, good for you.  No reason to be patronising to lots of people like me.  By the way I have a job in SL.

Edited by VanessaJane66
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Some day in the potential near future, S/L may have to consider blocking users from those countries that have enacted laws that conflict with S/L's economy too much. Let the citizens of those countries deal with their lawmakers instead of putting in blanket restrictions over everyone.

Yes they could possibly do this and I truly have no doubt that it was considered.

9 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I think 1800 is a reasonable price for a fatpack depending on what it is assuming its an outfit and not just a shirt with 50 colors. I think fashionatic has the most reasonable prices for fatpacks and they are like 2400L I believe? They usually offer full ensembles, head to toe and call them "Mega Packs" lol. They're generally what I base whether or not I'll buy a fatpack or not around. If it's equally or better than that in materials, options and quality then I'll buy it. If not I'll walk away. If it's just the same texture with varying multiply layers of colors over it then I kind of expect those to be around 600-900 range.

I think the issue with fatpacks in general in SL is there's no steering in either direction. We are either punished for buying the single or gouged for buying the fatpack. Hence another reason I like gacha.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

WHAT "batch upload for marketplace" is this of which you speak?

If an item is being sold inworld, via a gacha or any other method, IT IS ALREADY UPLOADED TO THE GRID. It does not need uploading again. It just needs dropping in a folder and that folder copying to your "merchant outbox" in your inventory. Boom, it is available for you to create a marketplace listing for it by signing into marketplace and going to edit your store.

So you can create multiple marketplace listings at the same time if its already uploaded?

21 minutes ago, VanessaJane66 said:

My hope is that the creators sell some of the stuff as individual items or in smaller packs.  I did a survey for a creator who is thinking about grouping the items into small packs - maybe instead of fatpacks, maybe in addition to.

With the Jian ones, I often wanted a Wanderer (did not care which), maybe a Companion (again, did not care which), and possibly but seldom one or two of the rares.  So whether or not I buy a fatpack would totally depend on what I already have in the set and what I think of the other items in the set.  For me, I hate all 'held' pets and any that attach in any way other than as a Companion walking with me.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, VanessaJane66 said:

However offensive you intend to be about customers on a budget like myself there are a lot of us in SL, helping to contribute to the economy.  Sellers who only aim to sell to those with deep pockets are cutting off their noses to spite their faces. I am sure you are currently feeling very smug about your purchasing power, good for you.  No reason to be patronising to lots of people like me.  By the way I have a job in SL.

I wouldn't say I'm on a particularly tight budget in SL but my SL pays for itself or it ends. I have one item still on the MP, created long after I closed down a profitable business in SL in the awareness that it wouldn't be profitable any more with the changes coming to the market. These days I make my tier from performing, my content creation is limited to little one-off custom scripted items for folks, making and scripting my own stage gear and duplicating my RL instruments in SL (and doing the same for other musicians for free because my budget doesn't run to tipping them as lavishly as they deserve).

And I don't play gacha. I've been a carnie IRL and I know bunko when I see it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.