Kalhene ERIKA Mesh Body

Stephanie Misfit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 222 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, colleen Criss said:

Why does that matter?

It doesn't unless you're a clothing snob.   I wear things from Hilly and a few other places all the time.  Not everything template made for Kahlene is stripper wear.  Sheesh.

Second Life Marketplace - [hh] Kamila Dress with Cardigan

Second Life Marketplace - [hh] Jade Set

• Like 5

Bens Beauty and Yeliz also do nicer items.  Yeliz even has some newer items for the GenX bodies.

They are all affordable.options for people who, instead of dropping 200L on one color at a "top store" can spend the same and have multiple options.  One size does not fit all in SL.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Bens Beauty and Yeliz also do nicer items.  Yeliz even has some newer items for the GenX bodies.

They are all affordable.options for people who, instead of dropping 200L on one color at a "top store" can spend the same and have multiple options.  One size does not fit all in SL.

Yeliz is awesome! I found that store when I first came back to SL in 2020 after a massively looooooooong break and meshed up for the very first time. I believe the stuff was...50L per outfit or so, with full huds n whatnot? Something like that. Super affordable and helped pad my brand new mesh inventory before I learned how to hunt down freebies/group gifts/sales/discount events/store credit.

Nothing at all wrong with template clothing. I still rock some from time to time from different stores. I like the variety and find I look less like a clone when I shop around like that and mix/match with it than if I just relied on brand new regular-priced event releases that everybody else is buying.

Nothing turns me off more than showing up at a store and seeing 20 people trying on the same outfit. But I'm weird like that. 😂

Edit: Just ran over there since it's been ages since I've been. Their new stuff is CUTE!!! And they support a wide range of bodies (Erika, Reborn, and Gen X among them).

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

It doesn't unless you're a clothing snob.

Of course it does matter. Having 10, 20 or even 100 of such "creators" releasing clothes for the body when it's basically same retextured things all over again is not what I'd ever call having a choice in clothing. Now when it's as badly supported body as this one is and someone still wants to use it, then yeah, doesnt' matter as much as it's either these kind of clothes or nothing at all.

Then again I wouldn't call liking original creations "being a clothing snob". If budget is an issue there are always weekend sales as well as other kind of sales. Besides for the budget shopping those less supported bodies are just terrible to begin with. Might not get as curvy with good old Maitreya, but amount of freebies and gifts for it over all those years can make it a one-time investment into the body itself for the less picky people.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Nothing turns me off more than showing up at a store and seeing 20 people trying on the same outfit. But I'm weird like that. 

Edit: Just ran over there since it's been ages since I've been. Their new stuff is CUTE!!! And they support a wide range of bodies (Erika, Reborn, and Gen X among them).

I hear ya. I and my alts prefer to grab demos and then TP to a private changing room to try on clothes.

Looks like I need to rock my Erika alt for a bit... haha... 😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

I hear ya. I and my alts prefer to grab demos and then TP to a private changing room to try on clothes.

Looks like I need to rock my Erika alt for a bit... haha... 😂

Lol, I'm still in Maitreya - still haven't bothered purchasing any other bodies yet - and likely won't unless I'm forced to. But it's nice to see the newer bodies get supported all over the place. Variety is good.

As for the clothes, I just don't like wearing the same outfit as everybody else. I'm still traumatized from that one time I showed up at a high school party and saw some girl wearing MY very same party dress!!!!!!!!!!1111 Omg, the embarrassment! The eternal shame! I'm never getting over that. 😄

No but really, even in SL, I'm quite determined when it comes to putting together unique-looking outfits as a result, lol. It's not unusual that I'll spend a good few days (weeks?) shopping all over the grid just to pull a single look together.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Of course it does matter. Having 10, 20 or even 100 of such "creators" releasing clothes for the body when it's basically same retextured things all over again is not what I'd ever call having a choice in clothing. Now when it's as badly supported body as this one is and someone still wants to use it, then yeah, doesnt' matter as much as it's either these kind of clothes or nothing at all.

Then again I wouldn't call liking original creations "being a clothing snob". If budget is an issue there are always weekend sales as well as other kind of sales. Besides for the budget shopping those less supported bodies are just terrible to begin with. Might not get as curvy with good old Maitreya, but amount of freebies and gifts for it over all those years can make it a one-time investment into the body itself for the less picky people.

How does it matter to anyone who doesn't buy them?  It doesn't.  Or at least, it shouldn't.  Just like anything else in SL, if you don't like it, don't buy it.  

If a major complaint is having to scroll through the various colors a store might have available, I'd suggest hounding LL to implement a drop down menu for color choices like most online retailers already do.  Personally, I don't buy full perm as a single color item but only as fatpacks.  It's A good value especially when they include a tint option which many do.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If a major complaint is having to scroll through the various colors a store might have available, I'd suggest hounding LL to implement a drop down menu for color choices like most online retailers already do.

I did poke their JIRA about the blacklist feature a number of years ago, shortly after they've implented the favorites/wishlist features. It was ignored as many many other feature requests. "We can't tackle on this at this time." Kind of answer. But yeah, adding stores to such blacklist so they'd never appear in search would solve many problems MP has with that kind of stuff.

It's an issue not just with clothes, but furniture, landscape stuff and much more. I sure do "love" to scroll through 2-3 (96/per) pages of badly assembled combinations of grasses+rocks+trees from one of those "creators" until something else shows up. Now if it would be a few rare cases then adding NOT <store name> into the search would help, but it's way too many. Plus usual keyword spam, which is "reportable", but I actually did bother with that a number of times, usually weeks later those reported items are still there with all their possible tags/keywords. Clothes just have it worse because it's more widely used products compared to landscape things.

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Just like anything else in SL, if you don't like it, don't buy it.  

I don't. I'll still comment on the things I dislike, though, since it happened to be a forum. Negative opinion on something is still an opinion. And, of course, like everyone else you can have a completely different opinion on that matter, but it doesn't make it the only valid one.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Lol, I'm still in Maitreya - still haven't bothered purchasing any other bodies yet - and likely won't unless I'm forced to. But it's nice to see the newer bodies get supported all over the place. Variety is good.

As for the clothes, I just don't like wearing the same outfit as everybody else. I'm still traumatized from that one time I showed up at a high school party and saw some girl wearing MY very same party dress!!!!!!!!!!1111 Omg, the embarrassment! The eternal shame! I'm never getting over that. 😄

No but really, even in SL, I'm quite determined when it comes to putting together unique-looking outfits as a result, lol. It's not unusual that I'll spend a good few days (weeks?) shopping all over the grid just to pull a single look together.

Take your sweet time  changing to another body, there is no rush, that's for sure.. hehehe

I wish I would have been more patient, but I went googoo head instead..

Honestly, when it comes to clothes, I think my Maitreya wears them best.. I really should have been way more picky when it came to other bodies..

Live and learn I guess.. hehehe

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Take your sweet time  changing to another body, there is no rush, that's for sure.. hehehe

I wish I would have been more patient, but I went googoo head instead..

Honestly, when it comes to clothes, I think my Maitreya wears them best.. I really should have been way more picky when it came to other bodies..

Live and learn I guess.. hehehe

Oh, I definitely feel no rush to switch bodies. I'm still really happy with the overall variety of clothing and mods available for this one, including gachas, which I use for accessories on occasion. I'd only switch if someone made something androgynous with a large, varied unisex wardrobe. Until then, I'm staying put! 

I demoed Erika at one point - it's nice, but the available clothing isn't really my style.

The main thing for me is I'm one of those shoppers who doesn't want to even think about "reading labels" when I do it - in other words, I hate having to look for logos/names on ad boards, lol. I just show up, grab demos, tp home to unpack, and look for Maitreya in the folder. Only one time did I find no Maitreya size included in the package. Shopping with Legacy Male, on the other hand... *big sigh* - but at least with that, there are only 3 logos to pay attention to, lol.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Aside from Kaithleen's, aren't all the others template shops?

Queenz is not a template shop.

Varsity also rigs for Erika, but most original mesh stores who do it are not well-known which makes sense. My alt with Erika is definitely not as picky as the one with Legacy because otherwise she wouldn't have clothes at all. 

10 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

Then again I wouldn't call liking original creations "being a clothing snob". If budget is an issue there are always weekend sales as well as other kind of sales. Besides for the budget shopping those less supported bodies are just terrible to begin with.

The thing is, template clothing doesn't always mean bad quality. There are tons of template clothes even in the popular weekend sales like Happy Weekend, so you might have bought something made from full perm and didn't even notice. Some other stores who claim to be "original mesh" just buy their mesh from Turbosquid or other websites, slap a bad texture on it and call it a day. But I'm definitely annoyed by sellers on MP who upload dozens of low quality template recolors separately and clutter the search results. Why would anyone buy something like that when there is the same style in fatpack next to it? And it often costs even less.

I actually like the challenge of making a wardrobe for an avatar with a less supported body or head. It allows me to indulge in some shopping and play dress-up, but not spend a lot of money and maybe create a unique look in the process experimenting with accessories and other little things. :)

It's a pity Analexa is abandoned, this avatar actually wears it as the main body, and I got it for another one when it was on sale. At that price it was a pretty good deal for Maitreya Petite looks. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Sissi Slacker said:

The thing is, template clothing doesn't always mean bad quality. There are tons of template clothes even in the popular weekend sales like Happy Weekend, so you might have bought something made from full perm and didn't even notice. Some other stores who claim to be "original mesh" just buy their mesh from Turbosquid or other websites, slap a bad texture on it and call it a day

I've seen some tolerable templates here and there, mostly in cases they were modded a lot, but usually they are pretty bad. Rigging wise too. Might be because those template creators usually just mass produce them with nearly all possible sizes included. Now if the budget is a problem, then for some it still might be a good deal, especially if they want more than 1-2 colors, but as always with SL there's an alternative to them, so I tend to just pick up higher quality and better fitted/rigged things.

I also always inspect what I demo/buy. From accessories and clothes to rezzables. So no, I don't buy templates by accident. More difficult with Turbosquid, CGTrader and similar sites, of course, but if it's a creator I never heard of, and especially if they are new to SL and their style is all over the place, I usually check there too. And often find things those creators have "made" there. Thankfully being around for a while it's easy enough to find enough of stores that are original, good at what they do and support them instead. For the new, less esperienced and less techy people it's a much bigger problem, though.

19 minutes ago, Sissi Slacker said:

I actually like the challenge of making a wardrobe for an avatar with a less supported body or head

That can be fun at times, but also most time consuming thing ever when you need something simple and no one offers/makes it. I did that in the past, because I always liked Lelutka heads, way before they became as popular as they are since Evo line's release. And Catwa was the only brand getting a good amount of content for years, then it was Catwa+Genus combination for a while longer. So getting something for Lelutka heads was a challenge.

While finally finding it was rather satisfying I can't say I miss those times and enjoy having pretty much all the possible options instead. Saves a lot of time, money and makes more unique looks possible, because I'm not limited to just a few things/options.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steeljane42 said:

That can be fun at times, but also most time consuming thing ever when you need something simple and no one offers/makes it.

Yep, that's why I'd never recommend a body like Erika or Kups (Ebody Curvy, Tonic, etc) to someone who would like to shop a lot or has a particular look in mind. On my alts with these bodies I shift my thinking from "what do I want" to "what can I make from things that are available" and it kinda works for me. But I totally understand how frustrating it can be, and it's definitely not something I would enjoy doing all the time.

It's definitely better these days than 5-6 years ago though - so much more variety. It used to be Catwa/Maitreya or pretty much nothing, now there is a lot more content for everyone.

• Like 3

On 10/31/2022 at 1:12 PM, Blaise Glendevon said:

Yeah. Everything on there is template stripper wear. 

I don't know if you already do this or not.. But when you go to a flicker catalog. just above the pictures on the right hand side is another search option that you can type in what you are looking for in that catalog..

It helps to clear out a lot of the clutter when you are looking for more specific things..

You may already know this option, but just in case you don't. :)

• Like 5

On 10/31/2022 at 10:38 AM, Blaise Glendevon said:

Aside from Kaithleen's, aren't all the others template shops?

You know what? I don't even know what that means. :)

Do you mean, they don't make their own mesh?

If that's the case, well that's not something that really matters to me, I just want nice things to cover my nakedness.  I'm still looking for more conservative things, I have been using several of that are referred to as dresses... for tops. 

It would be so nice to have some respectable clothes for this body.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 222 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.