the telepathy thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've cited that study before. Sometimes studies like that seem to be done out of spite for the ignorant, like the "man on the street" interviews performed on late night television. I hate those. Years ago, I heard an interview of one of the virgin birth researchers on NPR. It might have been Dr. Amy Herring, the PI. The interview convinced me that the study wasn't motivated by any particular desire to discount the Virgin Birth story of Christianity, but rather by boundless curiosity.

The study posits damning reasons for 0.8% of respondents declaring they'd performed the impossible, including poor sex education by parents leading to unexpected pregnancy and social stigma leading to the virgin "excuse".

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

It was never "determined" that soft tissue bits can't be preserved for millions of years. That was theory. That theory is being overturned by mounting evidence that some bits of soft tissue are preserved intact, while other bits are replaced over time by extremely stable polymers that maintain soft tissue's morphology or "look". The apparent contradiction is being resolved quickly in favor of the classic long view of the fossil record.

https://www.earthmagazine.org/article/dinosaur-soft-tissues-preserved-polymers/
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-51680-1

I suppose a scramble is the logical and desirable result of science encountering something unexpected, like Mary Schweitzer's evidence and theory. Metal catalyzed protein oxidation is pretty well understood, but the people who know all about that were studying living creatures, not dinosaur fossils.

From 1990, fifteen years before Mary Schweiter's work...
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0891584990900065

Now that the two camps are communicating, Schweitzer's work is being vindicated. I expect more preservation mechanisms will be discovered over time. Nature had billions of years to bury stuff. We've only been digging with good tools for a few decades.

The Discover Magazine article about Mary Schweitzer is 15 years old, and the link to more recent work you provided below it, as well as the links I've provided, bolster her old Earth soft tissue hypothesis. She's rather peeved by young Earth creationists misappropriating her work to advance their agenda.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/09/i-don-t-care-what-they-say-about-me-paleontologist-stares-down-critics-her-hunt

Note that Dr. Schweitzer was herself once a young Earth creationist, and was swayed by evidence to abandon that belief.

Here are the closing two paragraphs of the first article you linked as evidence for modern sightings of dinosaurs...

"There is also a glaring, almost complete lack of any real evidence, even circumstantial, besides the eyewitness reports. One wonders where all of the tracks are, and why there aren’t more purported photos besides the very, very few that are questionable at best and clearly faked at worst. The only photo that might possibly be any good is the one of the Tombstone Thunderbird, if we could see it or indeed find it or even know it existed at all. It seems that considering the history of sightings of pterodactyl and mini T. rex type dinosaurs going back all the way to the Wild West days, as well as the number of reports over such a large area, that we would have found at least something. Instead, we are left with mere amazing accounts and a handful of poor photos. It is meager by any cryptid’s standards. If some sort of living dinosaur or new species of large, bipedal lizard is out there, then we seem to be very far from ever confirming it. It does not necessarily mean that they don’t exist, just that this total void of potential evidence, coupled with the sheer audacity of the claims, seems to hamper the credibility of the notion, even among cryptozoologists.

So do dinosaurs similar to pterodactyls, velociraptors, and T. rexes roam the wilds of the American Southwest? It is a tantalizing, even romantic idea to be sure, while at the same time almost seemingly absurd. Yet what of the rich history of sightings and folklore of these alleged creatures? With so many accounts, it seems that something is going on, whether it is living dinosaurs or not. Is this all misidentifications of known animals? A new species? A complete farce? Or are there really dinosaurs surviving into the present day right under our noses? It is hard to say. One thing that is certain is that it seems one does not have to go to the deepest jungles of Africa or South America to find reports of dinosaurs still roaming the earth."

The second article you linked recounts stories of giant bird sightings. I've lived around bald eagles and turkey vultures all my life, and I can't count the number of times neighbors or friends have vastly overestimated their size. I often get a good measure mid-day when their shadows glide across my lawn. They're big. They're impressive. I wouldn't want to tussle with one. But they're just big modern birds.

If "modern sightings" are evidence of dinosaurs, they're also evidence that Mary's Virgin Birth was no big deal...

https://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f7102

WiP post deleted after popup about staying on topic :)

52 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

WiP post deleted after popup about staying on topic :)

Only privileged posters get to go off topic ie u have enemies reporting u.

I am interested in this topic tho. Maybe a dedicated dinosaur thread is in order, including evolution as part of it.?

• Thanks 1

Gee, guess who shows up right after the warning.  

I believe most telepathy can be explained by intuition and not some mumbo jumbo magical sixth sense.  Intuition and basic instinct is just more evolved in some people.  Nothing mystical about it.  Or maybe devolved?  I believe our ancient ancestors made use of it more because they needed it to survive.  Not so much anymore.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I believe most telepathy can be explained by intuition and not some mumbo jumbo magical sixth sense.  Intuition and basic instinct is just more evolved in some people.  Nothing mystical about it.  Or maybe devolved?  I believe our ancient ancestors made use of it more because they needed it to survive.  Not so much anymore.

One can still make a good living with it though, if one has enough theatrical talent and a reliable assistant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

I am not Arielle, and I can certainly tell u are not telepathic.

I really like Derren Brown...I get the idea of cold reading and using mind tricks but how does he manage to get specific details like names?? 😵 It seems even more mysterious knowing it's all fake...

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

It seems even more mysterious knowing it's all fake...

Yes!

Learning how magicians do their magic increases my respect for their art. Over the years I've learned to keep my mouth shut at magic shows with friends as I figure out the illusions because they'd rather enjoy the magic than understand it. I love that people can do magical things, whether it's magic, music, art, writing, or theater, it's all storytelling. That one person can put a thought or feeling into someone else's head is a wondrous thing.

I'm always on the lookout for little tricks I might play. I move potted plants around my neighbor's patios when they're away. I fix things I find broken, usually garden gate latches or birdhouses. I hang spooky things in their trees at Halloween. I paint rocks and leave them on the beach (well, I did when we had lots of beach) I've seen a few of them in neighbor's houses, so I know they're being found.

I do these things because they're intrinsically fun for me. If someone notices, and finds the world to be just a bit more magical or spooky, that's a bonus. They'll never know it's me. I want the magic to feel real.

• Like 5

On 7/5/2021 at 5:07 PM, Chroma Starlight said:

Bizarrely, there are almost no hits on this anywhere on the forum. You'd think with as luminous a crowd of operators on the Internet and as grid-saavy folks we all tend to be, there'd be more discussion about telepathy. 

So, how  have you developed your ability to connect? 

If you are just now tuning in and wondering what all this is about, may I suggest that you start out here:

The essential things they forgot to tell you when they handed over your body to whomever the hell your parents were supposed to be. 

Don't let anyone with telepathy push you around just because they were shown first. That's just a historical inequity that needs now to be corrected with an astounding quality-of-life.

I'm much more interested in telekinesis. Let me know when you can tell me how to do that.

14 hours ago, AnnHerrick said:

I'm much more interested in telekinesis. Let me know when you can tell me how to do that.

Humans have been doing that forever, Ann. Unfortunately it's a spurious power we don't know we're using.

All those missing socks and vanished items that "don't just grow legs and walk away"?

Accidental telekinesis.

Except for the things that actually do grow legs and walk away...

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
15 hours ago, AnnHerrick said:

Humans have been doing that forever, Ann. Unfortunately it's a spurious power we don't know we're using.

Moving my body with my mind, right now!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/14/2021 at 5:29 PM, Rowan Amore said:

I believe most telepathy can be explained by intuition and not some mumbo jumbo magical sixth sense. 

You see intuition and a sixth sense as being different? I have in past seen these as somewhat synonymous so I am curious as to how you see them different. Like as in what causes intuition if it isn't some sort of a sixth sense?

40 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

You see intuition and a sixth sense as being different? I have in past seen these as somewhat synonymous so I am curious as to how you see them different. Like as in what causes intuition if it isn't some sort of a sixth sense?

Instinct.

• Like 2

There is a huge delay (minimally about 7 seconds) between something being registered by your brain and you being made aware of any decision based on that information. Faster reactions have almost no time for conscious input at all, physical reactions take priority and can occur automatically (some don't even involve active thought at all, eg instinct). Reactions might seem instant, but that's because the response process is initiated before the decision has been finished & presented, taking a breath, opening preamble, preparing to type or write, etc.

The source of intuition is a nested mess of weighted plinko machines made from neurons, that has been trained and shaped by past experiences on or close to the context at hand. There can be no intuition without prior experience, in the absence of experience, the plinko machine plinkos up whatever seems like a good fit. Good Luck!

The plinko machine does not show its work, does not respond on demand and is always playing plinko even when there isn't an immediate requirement. Brains run full tilt all day long (and most of the night too) irrespective of whatever you might be trying to do.

Oh .. and there is no near term free will. Decisions are always made prior to awareness of being acted out. If you want to exercise agency over your own fate, plan ahead and define goals.

The concept of a 6th sense is flawed, we have more than 5 senses (many of which we have no direct awareness of - like taste receptors in your urinary tract) and reaction to stimuli can occur at anytime, even if most of the time we're under the impression we're responding to apparently immediate cues.

There is a whole lot of room for intuitive or gut reactions to consciously seem to come from nowhere when in reality they will all have been preceded by stimuli.

This is why attempts to demonstrate telepathy always fail when the subject is placed under neutral conditions. Without cues, it's impossible to perform better than chance.

• Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

There is a huge delay (minimally about 7 seconds) between something being registered by your brain and you being made aware of any decision based on that information. Faster reactions have almost no time for conscious input at all, physical reactions take priority and can occur automatically (some don't even involve active thought at all, eg instinct). Reactions might seem instant, but that's because the response process is initiated before the decision has been finished & presented, taking a breath, opening preamble, preparing to type or write, etc.

The source of intuition is a nested mess of weighted plinko machines made from neurons, that has been trained and shaped by past experiences on or close to the context at hand. There can be no intuition without prior experience, in the absence of experience, the plinko machine plinkos up whatever seems like a good fit. Good Luck!

The plinko machine does not show its work, does not respond on demand and is always playing plinko even when there isn't an immediate requirement. Brains run full tilt all day long (and most of the night too) irrespective of whatever you might be trying to do.

Oh .. and there is no near term free will. Decisions are always made prior to awareness of being acted out. If you want to exercise agency over your own fate, plan ahead and define goals.

The concept of a 6th sense is flawed, we have more than 5 senses (many of which we have no direct awareness of - like taste receptors in your urinary tract) and reaction to stimuli can occur at anytime, even if most of the time we're under the impression we're responding to apparently immediate cues.

There is a whole lot of room for intuitive or gut reactions to consciously seem to come from nowhere when in reality they will all have been preceded by stimuli.

This is why attempts to demonstrate telepathy always fail when the subject is placed under neutral conditions. Without cues, it's impossible to perform better than chance.

I wouldn't disagree with the model you've proposed being correct most of the time, but its weakness is in assuming that our particular sense organs are the only way to define and perceive reality. It's like placing my thermometer next to my computer and insisting there are no EMF waves emitted by it because my thermometer does not register them. Reality could very well be beyond what humans can normally sense.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.