the telepathy thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 982 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you're interested in quantum physics but find the topic a bit much to cope with (as I was) this is the book for you!  Starting at the very beginning, like explaining what electromagnetism is..

https://www.worldscientific.com/worldscibooks/10.1142/p993

"This captivating book presents a new, unified picture of the everyday world around us. It provides rational, scientific support for the idea that there may well be more to our reality than meets the eye…

Accessible and engaging for readers with no prior knowledge of quantum physics, author Ruth Kastner draws on the popular transactional interpretation of quantum mechanics to explain our ‘quantum reality.’ Her book focuses on modern-day examples and deals with big philosophical questions as well as ideas from physics.

If you have any interest in quantum physics, this book is for you — whether you be a physics student or academic, or simply an inquisitive reader who wants to delve deeper into the reality of the world around you.

Dr Ruth Kastner has received two National Science Foundation awards for the study of interpretational issues in quantum theory".

Edited by Luna Bliss

18 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

PS, he is considered somewhat fringe but the way he lays it out makes a lot of sense. He is great for not using highly technical jargon and speaks in layman terms.

It seems he's not considered much at all.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Nassim_Haramein

From his website...
"Haramein's seminal paper “Quantum Gravity and the Holographic Mass” was published in the peer-reviewed journal Physical Review & Research International in 2013. Utilizing a generalized holographic principle, the paper predicted a precise value of the charge radius of the proton which disagreed with the Standard Model by 4%. This prediction was later confirmed by a team of scientists at the Paul Scherrer Institute utilizing muons in a proton accelerator. The measurement has since been validated by the adjusted 2018 CODATA value of the proton RMS charge radius."

The conflicting measurement of the proton charge radius was first reported in 2010, three years before Haramein's prediction. One gets no points for predicting the past. One loses points for relocating it to the future.

In the years since Haramein's "Why is the Prediction so Precise" value for the proton's radius (0.841236fm), experimental evidence came in significantly below it (though with error bands that include it)   The latest measurement is above it, with a an error band that excludes it (0.8482 ±0.0038 fm). The closing paragraph of that last linked article says (of the experimenter producing the measurement😞

"Whatever the explanation, he thinks that the chances of there being new physics that dictates different interactions for muons and electrons are slim. That, he points out, is “contrary to what could have been thought when the proton radius puzzle began”.

Haramein's entire thrust has been a new physics, leading him to hunt for experimental evidence to support it. That's not happening. There seems to be a good reason his work is largely ignored by the physics community.

That said, I'm sure he'll continue to attract followers, simply by exploiting apophenia for profit.

I made two crop circles in my teens. They were exceptionally crude, yet still managed to capture the imagination of locals. They elicited theories I'd never have imagined, including that the aliens can see the future, they made the crop circle the day before harvest! Never mind that every human in the neighborhood could see the combine recently parked at the edge of the field, and it's only when harvesting that anyone would have been in the field to notice anything.

What's more likely, that aliens share Haramein's (potentially disingenuous) distrust for the establishment, and flatten crops to message the masses or that cheeky geeks like to tease the public? It would take years for aliens to learn, from Fox News, of the plot by elite humans to control the masses. But they'd also have learned that Alex Jones and Fox News are the best way to spread the truth. Why didn't they send PR packets or hijack transmissions instead of stomping crop circles?

Meanwhile, it takes only moments for someone like me to read a news story about radio telescopes beaming messages into space, and conjure up a prank to exploit our apophenia. That's what I did.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

The internet has actually reduced the evidence for telepathy and precognition. It has been an ideal tool for testing out the existence of ESP.  I used to participtate in online ESP tests and regularly monitored predictions registers. 

The ESP tests gave results that correspond with  chance. Occasionally there would be a remarkably high score but then there were remarkably low scores too and it all averaged out in the end.

The prediction registries never really showed any evidence of precognition from the people who posted. The predictions were either: 

1/ so vague  you couldn't tie them to any specific event (eg I had a vision of a statue with crowds gathered around and tanks approaching in the distance)

2/ so precise and localised it would be impossible for most people to check whether they came true or not (eg a middle-aged woman goes missing from a white timber bungalow in Boondocksville and her blue 1996 Ford F-150 pickup is found the next day with the engine still running beside an empty stormdrain over 150 miles away).

3/ have a high likelihood of coming true - for example predicting the death of a very elderly and frail celebrity or public figure.

Then there were predictions based on people's imaginations. After 9/11 there were lots of predictions of planes crashing into buildings. After the Indian Ocean Tsunami there were lots of predictions of tsunamis.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 4:06 AM, Burper Tilling said:

The internet has actually reduced the evidence for telepathy and precognition. It has been an ideal tool for testing out the existence of ESP.  I used to participate in online ESP tests and regularly monitored predictions registers.

I don't think online ESP tests are being done with the rigor necessary to be accepted by the science world, but I'm pretty sure that bunk experiments produce more than enough junk evidence to convince the lay public that ESP is real. The trend line for belief in the paranormal has been up and to the right for decades (in the US, at least).

I credit this in part to the internet, which has afforded unparalleled production and consumption of the anecdotal. As trust in expertise fades, uncertainty over our futures increases, and we wrap ourselves in confirmation bias, I see a bright future for crowdfunded hucksterism.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

On 8/14/2021 at 2:06 AM, Burper Tilling said:

2/ so precise and localised it would be impossible for most people to check whether they came true or not (eg a middle-aged woman goes missing from a white timber bungalow in Boondocksville and her blue 1996 Ford F-150 pickup is found the next day with the engine still running beside an empty stormdrain over 150 miles away).

I dunno blue dude. They found her.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/after-apparent-disappearance-5-months-ago-woman-found-alive-utah-n1266348

🤭

Speaking of blue dudes, you look an awful lot like one that used to be around a long, long time ago. 🤫😉

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 982 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.