(Feedback/Suggestion) Alt Code table into SL Display Names

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

Yes yes, other alphabet systems exist. We are aware.

My personal gripe is not with their use as intended (words and whole names written in them) but with their inclusion as a vanity or other such nonsense.

Agreed.

Although, one shouldn't underestimate the potential for hilarity, already present in some tattoos in RL, for people who use characters without any understanding of their actual meaning, and so end up with display names that mean "Shake well before using"

• Haha 4

On 5/10/2021 at 11:11 AM, Lunarei Kiyori said:

The Alt-Code Table has a variety of symbols that are both stylish and attractive for creativity. Personally I would like to put daggers ( † Alt-0134) at the beginning and end of my name with normal font. I believe and suggest that Linden Labs bring the alt-code table into SL and add more availability for certain symbols. There isn't a lot but there isn't too little. 

Alt-codes, huh?

Theresa Tennyson wonders how Second Life looks on a green screen, and how many 5 1/2" floppy disks you need to install the viewer.

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

A slight aside: Where on Earth are some getting the idea that the OP's suggestion concerns usernames? The very title of the thread states this is for Display Names.

THANK YOU! I knew I'd seen it somewhere. That's what I wrote about in my previous post, but I deleted the content because I couldn't see it again. I thought I'd seen it in the first post. Never thought to look at the Title.

However, the OP has gone on and discussed using the characters in usernames, even though that wasn't the subject of the thread.

Edited by Phil Deakins

7 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

THANK YOU! I knew I'd seen it somewhere. That's what I wrote about in my previous post, but I deleted the content because I couldn't see it again. I thought I'd seen it in the first post. Never thought to look at the Title.

However, the OP has gone on and discussed using the characters in usernames, even though that wasn't the subject of the thread.

You are mistaken, I am nowhere talking about using alt-codes in "usernames" only display names.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Ok. It was just that you continued to discuss it when others were talking about usernames. You didn't correct them.

Sorry, I tried to but my English is not the greatest and I've been too busy to reply.

• Like 1

I don't see what the big deal is about using special characters or why people crap on posts they don't like or understand. A lot of you are just incredibly condescending in your responses. I find her idea rather cool and brings a bit more creativity to display names. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

I don't see what the big deal is about using special characters or why people crap on posts they don't like or understand. A lot of you are just incredibly condescending in your responses.

It's probably just a boomer thing

:SwingingFriends:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It's probably just a boomer thing

:SwingingFriends:

Must be.  I don't think anyone was being condescending unlike these quotes

19 hours ago, Chris Nova said:

Who uses the actual SL viewer anymore besides you? 

What is wrong with all of you? You all trying to out-boomer eachother? 😂 

Cmon now. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to understand what I was saying.

18 hours ago, Chris Nova said:

Most don’t stare at their screen reading notices before clicking the log in button unlike you, grandpa. 

• Like 3

On 5/11/2021 at 12:37 PM, Orwar said:

I'd rather they removed the current special symbols available for use in the display names. Then again, it is a good indicator when out and about for what people you should avoid - people thinking themselves special snowflakes I can do without. 

Also, if I have to address people who at any point in their name employ a ß as a 'B', I will write 'ss' instead. Hi Ssella Ssig-ssoobs! 

ImpeccableRapidLabradorretriever-max-1mb

• Haha 2

On 5/11/2021 at 1:09 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Agreed.

Although, one shouldn't underestimate the potential for hilarity, already present in some tattoos in RL, for people who use characters without any understanding of their actual meaning, and so end up with display names that mean "Shake well before using"

Or insert Tab A into Slot B? 😇

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2021 at 10:23 AM, Theresa Tennyson said:

5 1/2" floppy disks you need to install the viewer.

i looked it up.  The first 5.25 floppy disk stored 160KB. The SL viewer download is about 118,852KB. So would only need 743 floppy disks

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.