(Feedback/Suggestion) Alt Code table into SL Display Names

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am bringing this to light (again) and are going to be putting an official suggestion onto the table once again as I am aware many have probably done before.

The Alt-Code Table has a variety of symbols that are both stylish and attractive for creativity. Personally I would like to put daggers ( † Alt-0134) at the beginning and end of my name with normal font. I believe and suggest that Linden Labs bring the alt-code table into SL and add more availability for certain symbols. There isn't a lot but there isn't too little. 

PS: For special fonts, I believe there should be a floating translation bubble that breaks down the special font and makes it readable.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Lunarei Kiyori said:

I am bringing this to light (again) and are going to be putting an official suggestion onto the table once again as I am aware many have probably done before.

The Alt-Code Table has a variety of symbols that are both stylish and attractive for creativity. Personally I would like to put daggers ( † Alt-0134) at the beginning and end of my name with normal font. I believe and suggest that Linden Labs bring the alt-code table into SL and add more availability for certain symbols. There isn't a lot but there isn't too little. 

PS: For special fonts, I believe there should be a floating translation bubble that breaks down the special font and makes it readable.

This is a Question & Answer section of the forums.  Did you possibly mean this to be in the General Discussion section instead?  

image.png.3c2d259a17c80c29d41016ce526b6493.png

Since I don't see a question, I've submitted a request for the Mods to move it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This is a Question & Answer section of the forums.  Did you possibly mean this to be in the General Discussion section instead?  

image.png.3c2d259a17c80c29d41016ce526b6493.png

Since I don't see a question, I've submitted a request for the Mods to move it.

Yes, I am new to the forums and don't quite know how to navigate them yet 😞

I already refer to people by their username when they make their display name untypeable. I will start referring to people by their UUID if they start doing the same with their username.

Usernames are supposed to be readable, not a fashion accessory.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Chaser Zaks said:

I already refer to people by their username when they make their display name untypeable. I will start referring to people by their UUID if they start doing the same with their username.

Usernames are supposed to be readable, not a fashion accessory.

Please read the PS.

3 minutes ago, Lunarei Kiyori said:

Please read the PS.

I already did, and as I said, usernames are not a fashion accessory. If you want fancy characters in your name, use your display name so I can refer to your username when I have to use moderation tools in regions I moderate.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 2

Just now, Chaser Zaks said:

I already did, and as I said, usernames are not a fashion accessory. If you want fancy characters in your name, use your display name so I can refer to your username when I cannot use chat commands to use moderation tools in regions I moderate.

Agree to disagree, there is a reason we have usernames and the display names. 😀 thanks for your input but that type of solution is already known.

6 minutes ago, Lunarei Kiyori said:

Agree to disagree, there is a reason we have usernames and the display names. 😀 thanks for your input but that type of solution is already known.

Not gonna find too many here who like your idea and aside from that, LL has better things to do than worry about vanity names.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Not gonna find too many here who like your idea and aside from that, LL has better things to do than worry about vanity names.

I think the overall post concept is going over everyone's head... this isn't about special, cursive looking names. This is just about expanding on the symbol table that is already in the platform..

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Lunarei Kiyori said:

I think the overall post concept is going over everyone's head... this isn't about special, cursive looking names. This is just about expanding on the symbol table that is already in the platform..

We know what it's about.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

But, but...it makes me special!

It makes your butt special?

Sorry I'm a non native speaker. 🥴

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Haha 4

For the love of Dke9ujfpe! Only Dke9ujfpe knows what will happen on the various databases if you put anything beside normal alphabetical symbol into usernames. But I'm pretty sure hardcore name-fashionists don't mind the risk of totally breaking their avatar... 😇

I'd rather they removed the current special symbols available for use in the display names. Then again, it is a good indicator when out and about for what people you should avoid - people thinking themselves special snowflakes I can do without. 

Also, if I have to address people who at any point in their name employ a ß as a 'B', I will write 'ss' instead. Hi Ssella Ssig-ssoobs! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

There is more to life than the western alphabet.

Yes, this. I don't much like non-alphabetic characters, or unreadable fonts, but I can certainly see a case for the inclusion of non-Latin characters, such as Cyrillic or logographic writing systems.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.