The Map is Finally Fixed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As someone who complained regularly and often in any venue I could about this, I do want to express my gratitude to the Lindens who diligently kept working on this project because it is vital to the virtual world.

No, it isn't perfect, and some zoom levels can be slow in loading. But they do all work now -- in recent weeks it was only some zoom levels that work but now they all do.

And there are always people for whom it doesn't work and who have quibbles.

But the main outlines of it work -- it shows the tiles. You can see where to point-to-point teleport. You go there. The builds are updated.

So you don't teleport into buildings that aren't showing on the map that hasn't updated -- it's now updated I see at least from the last month from builds I know that went in.

So I can pick out a field and teleport into that field; I can pick out water I know has no ban lines and teleport exactly into this. I can see land for sale clearly. 

You don't teleport to completely different sims than the one you clicked on, that was particularly annoying.

Let's hope it stays.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So let's do a quick recap:

• April 15 - Thursday at 15:39 PDT: Linden Lab announced they have a world map fix in testing (after having a broken map for 5 months).
  • April 15 - Thursday at 20:44 PDT: Linden Lab announced the 7.5% buy fee change money grab (starting on April 22 and that's 1 week to go).

... what a happy little coincidence 😜

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well nothing gets by you but likely quite a few others do not painstakingly go through every thread for relevant information that might not have anything to do with the original thread title, so yep

Nope.

Anyone else starting this thread and you might have a point.

• Haha 1

The Map is Finally Fixed

Seems worth another bump.  Given all the complaining about no Big Map for the last 6 months, I'm surprised not more hurrah's are here.  But that's the SL forums for you - Bad New Sells, good news, blah...

And not everyone reads the Technology Forum, Solar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm certainly glad they fixed it but I'm holding off celebrating because the last time they "fixed" it 6 months ago, it worked for about 2 weeks and was broken for 6 months after that.

I'm still waiting for the map to work in-world too.  

10 minutes ago, TT120 said:

I'm still waiting for the map to work in-world.  In Firestorm, I still can only get a couple zoom levels before everything disappears 

In my Firestorm, all 40 zoom levels work perfectly.  Are you running out of memory to cache the tiles?  Slow internet connection?  I thought the tiles were all loaded into AWS site.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

35 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

The Map is Finally Fixed

Seems worth another bump.  Given all the complaining about no Big Map for the last 6 months, I'm surprised not more hurrah's are here.  But that's the SL forums for you - Bad New Sells, good news, blah...

And not everyone reads the Technology Forum, Solar.

Don't much care. There's a Forum Search tool and frankly not every topic needs to be in more than one place.

7 minutes ago, TT120 said:

I'm still waiting for the map to work in-world.  In Firestorm, I still can only get a couple zoom levels before everything disappears 

Funnily enough, I use Firestorm and am seeing map tile updates. This isn't going to instantly propagate to every corner and some are going to see a bit of oddness for a bit.

On 4/18/2021 at 8:05 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

image.png.eceae269783dc6af85dccf3ba0377586.png

But what did they break doing it?  

Let me guess... it's what's broke group chat again.... Seems that whatever gets fixed or implemented, group chat and groups seems to suffer the most. But it's just a guess. I wonder what needs to break in order for group chats to work properly? 😂

8a3b2f6e64dc8d8daa3e254682f09f92.png

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

In my Firestorm, all 40 zoom levels work perfectly.  Are you running out of memory to cache the tiles?  Slow internet connection?  I thought the tiles were all loaded into AWS site.

I have 64 gig memory but I'm wondering if Firestorm isn't configured to use it.  My internet connection is fine too.  It's cable and I'm getting 250mbps download so that probably not the problem.  Might just have to wait for it to propagate.

It's funny how some people don't think a very public thank you is needed here, despite some thread somewhere with 1000 pages where it might have mentioned, and yet those same people aren't bothered by obvious bids to increase post counts and popularity with topics like "rain or shine".

• Like 2

On 4/19/2021 at 2:19 AM, Arielle Popstar said:

Because after 5 months of badgering the Lab to fix it, it deserves it own thread and headline probably.

Yes, I fully agree. They earn at least a thank you for that. Without irony. But I fear  many people here in the forum unlearned to show a positve attitude.

Edited by Doc Carling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Doc Carling said:

Yes, I fully agree. They earn at least a thank you for that. Without irony. But I fear  many people here in the forum unlearned to show a positve attitude.

A thank you to the Lab or to the people that kept reminding them it was still broken?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.