The spin off spinoff.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1141 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5730333

Think we'll ever get true physics in SL?

There's this creator? Named Clover? Who has now made a thing that if you wear it, your avatar will have a more realistic fall from a building, go "splat" and lie in a pool of blood.

I think you don't have to wait for the Lindens always.

I remember some observers felt that the purpose of Viewer 2.0 was not just to ruin search, which is did (although you can find 1.23's search in Firestorm), and was not just to view mesh, which was -- then and now -- shall we say "underdeveloped," but to display jiggling boobs. 

Since that wasn't something I was interested in, in terms of world-building, I thought it was a shame that, you know, search was broken and creators were needlessly driven from the world, and so on.

6 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

There's this creator? Named Clover? Who has now made a thing that if you wear it, your avatar will have a more realistic fall from a building, go "splat" and lie in a pool of blood.

That's not physics.

5 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

That's not physics.

Well, it is, and it isn't. It's "a simulation of physics that is actually animation" or whatever. I'm content with the simulated physics they have created in our simulated world. I know enough not to "put things on physics" or they bounce around. I know that "the creator hasn't really worked on the physics" if I can't walk on top of a rock. I spent half an hour fixing a problem like that last night. 

I do not want or need more physics in SL UNTIL the map is fixed and search is fixed.

The map isn't fixed and search is as broken as ever.

Meanwhile, my daughter got a 90 on her physics test in college, so there's that. I was unable to help.

PS what are valence electrons?

OK nm.

4 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I hope so.  I live in hope of watching helicopter man parts and slo-mo naked male Baywatch running on the beach!

d9f.gif

Something like so? It may not be a beach, but to be fair, I expect most beaches will look a little like that in the future.

• Sad 1

True physics in SL? Spin? Sure. Here ya go:

Make a box in SL, rename it as 'Stern-Gerlach Device', and add a script with the following code in it.

default{
    touch_end(integer Total){
        string Spin="upward (north)";
        float Probability=llFrand(1.0);
        if(Probability<.5)Spin="downward (south)";
        llSay(0,
            "The electron magnetic moment (spin) "+
            "was determined to be −9.284764×10⁻²⁴ "+
            "Joules per Tesla "+Spin
        );
    }
}

And, as Wolfgang Pauli would say, presto!

Next: how to make a Type Ia supernova in SL. (Spoiler: you need a lot of spin.)

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

13 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:
19 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

PS what are valence electrons?

The things that make chemistry actually happen, they're the ones that determine who joins up with who or not. Not chaperones as much as attractors.

If you have a mental picture of the greatly simplified "onion skin" model of the atom, valence electrons are the electrons in the outermost level -- the ones available for sharing with nearby atoms to create bonds.  Atoms share valence electrons to balance electrical charges and produce complex structures (molecules, ionic complexes, or other aggregate units).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

A n interesting and fun and more accurate spatial model of the (possible) location of valence electrons around hydrogen nuclei is shown in this video:

This is very well done.  Thanks for finding it, Arduenn. People's eyes usually start to glaze over when we try to explain anything more complicated than the vastly oversimplified onion skin model. This video is engaging and helpful, showing the general direction without getting too deep into the weeds. It still doesn't address Prok's immediate question of why certain electrons -- the valence electrons -- are involved in bonding and others are not, but it's a much more satisfying overview of what electrons are. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1141 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.