Where can new folks make money? -- just a tiny bit

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am (or have) written a series of articles on the current onboarding experience for new folks.  It went well and I learned a few things along the way.  

I succeeded in making a pretty good looking ZERO linden avatar (gal of course -- guys have it so much harder; sorry).   BUT, in order to get an item I needed to look so much better I need ONE LINDEN in order to pay the vendor and then get money returned.   I understand why the creators do this, but it is SO not good for new folks that can't buy any lindens. 

In the olden days, we could camp, play trivia and sand around hoping that a random money machine might give us some money.   I mostly camped and enjoyed the adventure (and it was that if you wanted to get a good paying spot).   But most of that is gone.   

Someone here a week or so ago on another thread mentioned that he had put up a 2 linden for one hour camper spot. That  is a horrible rate, but it would have worked for my blog post purpose and for any really new person that really need that 1 linden.  His post got taken down. - advertising I guess; or at least I can't find it now.   

So can anyone recommend sims that have any of these old times things.  I don't mean the hunting for coins as I have read way to many complaints on that. Just something really easy that someone REALLY NEW could do to get that one or two lindens that they need for "free" stuff.     Thanks.

I really miss the old REALMS.   I saw many new folks clomping around without an AO gathering crystals.  There was cheating certainly, but it was a way that new citizens could get a start -- and learn some SL skills along the way. The new Realms is way too hard and doesn't pay well. (I understand that part too, just wish we were back to the old version; it did have a purpose).  

• Like 3

The free to play economy was for the most part vendor/merchant supported, exchanging time at a location (etc etc) for L$. That's been pretty much obliterated by the SLM and move to shopping events. There is no incentive for those long term committed SL users to create L$ sources.

Even back when those sources were a thing, there was nothing stopping industrious users making dozens of accounts.

What remains is older locations, old content traps, scams, all of it heavily botted & multiboxed, exchanging huge amounts of time for literal pennies. Which probably isn't a new user experience worth recommending.

Best solution I can think of is to put together good free starter resources and lean heavily into getting users to make a small L$ purchase.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2021 at 7:58 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

Best solution I can think of is to put together good free starter resources and lean heavily into getting users to make a small L$ purchase.

Hear, hear. I know that I'd be buying a lot more clothes and avatar accessories if I had a body compatible with popular/nicer clothes. As it is, a lot of clothes are compatible with popular mesh bodies that cost way more than I can justify spending. Give users free trials, maybe a starting amount of Linden. I know SL's goal is to get people to buy Linden, but it's hard to get started when you're new and afraid to mess up.

• Like 3

I just joined a few days ago and i managed to make a good looking avi for less than 500 linden. If you have some more time you can even get away with spending less than 100 linden. I also didn't wanna spend too much money for now but i think this is a good start. You can get a lot of free stuff by joining groups for example. 

• Like 2

Try Linden Realms. It's a buggy, old-school game that can be accessed via Portal Park. The game pays L$50 when the game is completed, plus more depending on what you redeem. You can redeem for payment once every week, so in theory can scrounge a small income: L$50 per week = L$2600 per year.

• Like 1

Hey Fam.

I dont know if i am allowed to speak about Linden making programs in SL.

But normally.

I work with some program's that give me like 2 Lindens for 5-10 Mins.

And some give like 5 to 6 Lindens in 10 mins.

As i dont know if im allowed to say those here,you can IM me in game.

Happy Earning.🔥🔥🔥

Btw,im kanzulr in game

• Like 1

Newbie with poor English can't get anything from Trivia. Coin hunts or fish games can give some money.. but for a newbie its hard to figure out how to do, it requires running around or using a HUD.

I guess s/he will eventually meet with people some one can lend L$1-L$10 if s/he asks nicely its not a problem for older players.

Some people nice enough to help out newbies.

On 3/4/2021 at 9:21 PM, Chic Aeon said:

The new Realms is way too hard and doesn't pay well.

I guess it is supposed to happen, 10-30 bots following each other and roaming around this is not going to work, they are forced to make this changes.

3 hours ago, KanzulR said:

Hey Fam.

I dont know if i am allowed to speak about Linden making programs in SL.

But normally.

I work with some program's that give me like 2 Lindens for 5-10 Mins.

And some give like 5 to 6 Lindens in 10 mins.

As i dont know if im allowed to say those here,you can IM me in game.

Happy Earning.🔥🔥🔥

Btw,im kanzulr in game

Thanks. I suspect that there are a few spots as people have mentioned them but no need to publicize. 

My biggest concern about all of this was a four part post that I did  last week as  it "seemed" like there was no way to get a really good looking avatar (girls that is -- guys have it much tougher) without at least one dollar. Happily someone commented on one of my posts telling me that people COULD get both body and  BOM relay hud for zero IF they knew to choose "menu" and "deliver".  Of course you wouldn't really expect new folks to KNOW that, but still it IS possible and that made me much happier.   

We had it easier in the oden days with camping and money trees and trivia :D.  It wasn't a pretty back then but in some ways it was more fun.   

Appreciate your reply. 

BTW that watch video thing mentioned earlier is very suspect and looks like they are tracking ISP addresses so obviously I didn't do that and it wasn't even a linden a video -- it was A QUARTER OF A LINDEN (OMG).   And NOW if you want to make a marketplace store (another way you "could" earn without money if you are creative)  you have to USE your payment info by buying lindens (hence agreeing to Tilia) and if you could BUY lindens you wouldn't really have a need to be completely free :D.  So lots of roads lead to messiness.   But my gal is looking good all for free.   So it IS possible. 

New citizens hair voucher, eBody body, Genus Strong head, Free Dove outfits. No money spent - no group gifts other than having to join Free Dove :D    And there's some makeup in there too. 

I'm calling that a wrap!   

1883887833_denimset.thumb.jpg.daa1f6f52a0e2ac18996309fc1ce0071.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RunawayBunny said:

Legacy also have free classic body (but cant remember if it requires L$1). 😄

I am not sure how did you manage get genus skin. But it looks good. (Default genus strong head does not include any skin).

Yes, but I have a personal aversion to that company because of past practices :D.   The skin is a 7Ds skin available at The Free Dove.   There is also  free skin at Pink Fuel.   the eBody body can be BOM so takes system skins. No applier needed.  

• Like 2

On 3/7/2021 at 12:04 AM, Waiomao said:

Try Linden Realms. It's a buggy, old-school game that can be accessed via Portal Park. The game pays L$50 when the game is completed, plus more depending on what you redeem. You can redeem for payment once every week, so in theory can scrounge a small income: L$50 per week = L$2600 per year.

alas, now instead of 50 linden for quests. you get half of only 25 linden. this is not yet written in the rules of the game, but they are already actually paying such an amount

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Teomi said:

alas, now instead of 50 linden for quests. you get half of only 25 linden. this is not yet written in the rules of the game, but they are already actually paying such an amount

Also in PaleoQuest, they cut the weekly quest payout to 50 L$, from 100 L$.  This will affect a few poor residents who paid for their 50L/week skybox rent from these games, and still had a few lindens left.  New management is cutting costs, and really don't want new people that can't afford to pay there way into SL.  

Once you learn to walk and run, and a few basics like entering a portal, there is a way to earn a few lindens pretty quickly in PaleoQuest, and you don't need payment info on file.  Basically collect dinosaur eggs in quest #1, then return to the lobby and cash in your collectables.  I think 10 lindens in 30 mins is doable for most beginners, after a little practice.  20 blue eggs = 1L, 20 pink eggs = 2L.  Just don't get hit by a volcanic boulder or poisonous darts, or you lose all your eggs.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Also in PaleoQuest, they cut the weekly quest payout to 50 L$, from 100 L$.  This will affect a few poor residents who paid for their 50L/week skybox rent from these games, and still had a few lindens left.  New management is cutting costs, and really don't want new people that can't afford to pay there way into SL.  

Once you learn to walk and run, and a few basics like entering a portal, there is a way to earn a few lindens pretty quickly in PaleoQuest, and you don't need payment info on file.  Basically collect dinosaur eggs in quest #1, then return to the lobby and cash in your collectables.  I think 10 lindens in 30 mins is doable for most beginners, after a little practice.  20 blue eggs = 1L, 20 pink eggs = 2L.  Just don't get hit by a volcanic boulder or poisonous darts, or you lose all your eggs.

It would actually be in LL's best interest to pay 100L instead of 50L.  It really costs them nothing to hand it out since they DO make money after you've spent your 100L on a product and that merchant cashes out to USD.  

It also doesn't cost them money or is in any way detrimental for them to have free accounts that pay nothing.

I don't know what their thinking was behind lowering the payout but the reasons given aren't it.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

It would actually be in LL's best interest to pay 100L instead of 50L.  It really costs them nothing to hand it out since they DO make money after you've spent your 100L on a product and that merchant cashes out to USD.  

It also doesn't cost them money or is in any way detrimental for them to have free accounts that pay nothing.

I don't know what their thinking was behind lowering the payout but the reasons given aren't it.

I agree that it helps to give free accounts something to start with. I don't think we can speculate on the reasons for the change since we aren't even close to having all the information.

But while it doesn't cost LL anything to hand out free money, it does contribute to the value of the Linden Dollar when they add more money into circulation.

The "money LL makes" from you spending that free money on a product isn't profit. The marketplace- and credit-processing fee is generally less than the amount of money LL loses to the person cashing out.

Where LL makes money is when you buy lindens (the flat fee), or when you pay for Premium, or when you pay for land tier.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

in PaleoQuest, and you don't need payment info on file.  Basically collect dinosaur eggs in quest #1, then return to the lobby and cash in your collectables.  I think 10 lindens in 30 mins is doable for most beginners, after a little practice.  20 blue eggs = 1L, 20 pink eggs = 2L.  Just don't get hit by a volcanic boulder or poisonous darts, or you lose all your eggs.

Thanks a lot for this information 🤩

On 3/10/2021 at 2:18 AM, Jaylinbridges said:

Since when did LindenLabs reduced the payout on PaleoQuest?
I never got such an Info and now standing here and be a bit <censored> because of this.

I reported several cheating-accounts there too. - Nothing happend.
I played there to have a fix income as non-premium. - That I can now forget I think.

Can someone show me the page where this is official named and dated?
I want answers. And my friends surely too.

On 3/9/2021 at 7:11 PM, Rowan Amore said:

On 3/9/2021 at 7:35 PM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I agree that it helps to give free accounts something to start with. I don't think we can speculate on the reasons for the change since we aren't even close to having all the information.

3 hours ago, Silverwing13 said:

Since when did LindenLabs reduced the payout on PaleoQuest?
I never got such an Info and now standing here and be a bit <censored> because of this.
I reported several cheating-accounts there too. - Nothing happend.
I played there to have a fix income as non-premium. - That I can now forget I think.
Can someone show me the page where this is official named and dated?
I want answers. And my friends surely too.

I too was wondering what the reason was, so I asked at the Home & Garden interview with the Linden Moles and Patch Linden this last Friday.

I asked this question there:  The PaleoQuest and Linden Realms cash rewards for completing the Quests were cut in half this week?  Why?  Are these games the Moles built going away?

Patch Linden answered in the youtube archived video of the session here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv_7x0xq-Pg

The relevant question and answers start at time 56:30 during that show.

Basically the payouts were reduced because "some people" were cheating and ignoring the Linden warnings etc.  So they decided to "devalue" the games for everyone by cutting the quest payouts in half.  Also Patch threatened to terminate your SL accounts if caught cheating in the Linden games, although this is nothing new. 

The actual rules regarding bots and alts are NOT at all clear.  Can an alt of your main account play a Linden payout game?  Can both an alt and your main account play, but on different days, or weeks?  What is a "bot" that Patch refers too?  If an Alt and your main collect crystals in LR, but at different times or days, is this cheating?  How can this be,  since there is no limit on the number of crystals you can capture before cashing them to lindens?  Why are the attached avatar scripts allowed in the games?  Why can one person attach 4 avatars to his body - is this really impossible to detect?  Does LL really expect unpaid newbie players to spend time policing the games for obvious clear cheating?  Where is the fun in that?

Fuzzy vague rules do not help honest players enjoy the game, or earn a few lindens to spend in SL.  Are you willing to risk your SL account because someone thinks you are cheating?  The actual anti-cheat devices in Paleoquest and the Realms are terribly flawed, with about a 99.9% false positive rate.  Are the Lindens aware of how ineffective their algorithms really are?

The majority must suffer from the sins of a few apparently.  It seems to me that clearer rules, posted where everyone can see them, and some actual monitoring of the activity in the Realms and PaleoQuest, instead of relying on newbie residents sending in AR reports that must include a video of the cheater and their ID tag, would be a less dramatic approach.  Does LL really believe cutting the weekly payout for honest but poor players will benefit SL inworld businesses, or retain new residents?  

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

The relevant question and answers start at time 56:30 during that show.

Basically the payouts were reduced because "some people" were cheating and ignoring the Linden warnings etc.  So they decided to "devalue" the games for everyone by cutting the quest payouts in half.  Also Patch threatened to terminate your SL accounts if caught cheating in the Linden games, although this is nothing new. 

The actual rules regarding bots and alts are NOT at all clear.  Can an alt of your main account play a Linden payout game?  Can both an alt and your main account play, but on different days, or weeks?  What is a "bot" that Patch refers too?  If an Alt and your main collect crystals in LR, but at different times or days, is this cheating?  How can this be,  since there is no limit on the number of crystals you can capture before cashing them to lindens?  Why are the attached avatar scripts allowed in the games?  Why can one person attach 4 avatars to his body - is this really impossible to detect?  Does LL really expect unpaid newbie players to spend time policing the games for obvious clear cheating?  Where is the fun in that?

I think Patch gave a very clear answer at 58:05.

"If you're using any programmatic ways to get around the anti-cheat devices, or botting, or using any kind of software automation, we will not only terminate your accounts but also cut the games down. We won't shut the games down, but we will devalue them to the point where it doesn't make sense for the cheaters to game the system."

Playing the game on multiple alts doesn't seem to be against the rules -- it's not even hinted at. The important thing is that the avatar that is playing the game must be directly controlled by a human. A bot is an avatar that isn't controlled by a human, including "followers" that stay close to the avatar you are controlling.

Regarding scripts, SL doesn't have a mechanism to prevent people from wearing/running scripts on a particular sim. Even if the land has "scripts disabled," there are official ways of bypassing that feature. It doesn't seem worth it for LL to develop something to fix that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

btw Fam,im in game for the next 5 days I .A

so,if anyone is interested in making Linden dollars,

message me in game.

il guide you through the 3 easiest processes.

NOTE-This is not a social service.i get paid by those programs :D 

in game its Kanzulr

When I first got into SL, I was really into fishing. I think Magic fishing and Fish Hunt.  I used Fish Hunt mostly because they also had other things like a breedable and farming worms. I always wondered if someone could actually make money fishing and growing and selling or using the worms.  Also, it seemed more like the gold rush - meaning you'd make more selling the pick axes than actually mining.  So, another other idea I had was to sell space for people who farme or wanted to sell their breedables.  I dunno...

• Like 1

I am a free member, I have no premium account, so I never put a single penny in the game. Though, I managed to make some money with a gold hunt, It was a nightmare, some much time spent for that, but with the money I bought myself a 1L$ AO I still wear as memory, some decent clothes for the old classic avatar I was I mean, and then I started to WORK, I did all (or so) the possible jobs, pole dancer, host (the toughest one), decorator, terraformer, security officer, estate agent, assistant manager, marina manager, beach general manager, head manager all this learning things about SL in the meantime. Oh I'm certainly NOT the most skilled person, far from that, but I have a rich SL life. Some people were very nice with me, so was I in return I hope, the key, apart working,  is also to respect others a minimum, to give to receive.

Edited by MALIFAX
correcting typos
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.