When I grow up I want a house like...

archangel969

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For now I am still hiring. And I am happy with villa Rudolfo where I live, don't get me wrong. But in the near future I must... In the Netherlands we say: 'met de billen bloot' [literally it is translated: 'with the buttocks exposed'] I think the verb in English is 'nail my color to the mast.' Go all the way. So go premium and buy land and a house.

I have two wishes/houses/places I would love to live 'when I grow up.'
  1. Not a house but a train. The DRD express, only available as gacha. I really love trains (in RL I wrote several novels that take place in trains), and especially I adore old ones. And this is a train, available on mp that resembles the legendary Orient express the most. Oh, to live there and travel around the second world! I must thank @Orwar. Without his tip I would not have known this train existed in SL anyway. 
  2. Villa Utrecht. A marvelous villa from @Froukje Hoorenbeek. Apart from trains, I love the European style of house building. And then, to find someone from your own country who builds houses that are so special, fine detailed and full of atmosphere. I would love to buy that house and place it in a estate-like setting with a driveway and leafy paths with oak and beech trees!

Oh, to choose! Well, i guess I would buy them both. When I grow up.
And you, my dear forum tigers? What would you buy to live in if you could efford it/ when you grow up? What is your dream house?

mesh-villa-mesh-house-1.jpg

mesh-villa-mesh-house-8.jpg

mesh-villa-mesh-house-11.jpg

Snapshot_009.jpg

5v0-C6D_n7BvDlk-CiVYXTl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVvK0kTmF0xjctABnaLJIm9.jpg

drd-3_002.jpg

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

As much as I do love that train, I don't expect it'd make the best living arrangement for two reasons.

Firstly, it's a bit unwieldy - you'd need a pretty large chunk of land to accommodate it. The ratio of interior floor space to exterior space requirement isn't the most optimal; just rezzing the locomotive and one cart takes up a fair stretch of land. 

Secondly, it has a fairly high draw weight, as is usual with stuff from DRD unfortunately. Especially if you want to make a scenic surrounding on ground level with neighbors having their stuff about, it's likely to get quite laggy rather fast. 

An alternative that I unfortunately can't point at any specific product for, is to get an interior only build. I have come across trains (and airplanes) that are built with just the interior, and out the windows there's a scripted texture that moves as if you're flying through the air. It's been a while since I saw any, but they are around, somewhere.

• Like 3

When I grow up I want a little cottage by the sea. Surrounded by a forest, within walking distance of an idyllic lake and lovely open mountains. Otters playing in the water, foxes so tame you can always pet them... But still close enough to civilisation the town is only a short bus or bicycle ride away. With a view of white mountain tops from my living room window. A lush garden where I can grow my own veggies and berry bushes.

Unfortunately, after more than ten years I still haven't managed to get that garden into shape. I love plants but the love is not mutual.

No wait, you mean in SL? Just give me enough space to build and lovely landscapes and scenes to explore and admire.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This was my dream home.  Petit Lac Des Cygne took me months to complete.  I poured my heart and soul into the build and the surrounding landscape.  Inara Pey was kind enough to write a blog post about Petit Lac Des Cygne.  This is the link to her post that includes more photos.  I also include a good friends blog post here.  She might be a tad biased.  I happily played and dug in pixel dirt with my partner of 5 years, but, all good things end sometimes and I raized Petit Lac Des Cygne to the ground last year.  A new dream now takes it place and work continues on Little Swan Lake.  I have been fortunate to be able to live out my dreams here in Second Life and I am so very thankful.

The old and the new

Petit lac des Cygne1.png

31d288060a44bba0e4d21fbe84174ba1.jpg

• Like 18

2 hours ago, Cougar Sangria said:

This was my dream home.  Petit Lac Des Cygne took me months to complete.  I poured my heart and soul into the build and the surrounding landscape.  Inara Pey was kind enough to write a blog post about Petit Lac Des Cygne.  This is the link to her post that includes more photos.  I also include a good friends blog post here.  She might be a tad biased.  I happily played and dug in pixel dirt with my partner of 5 years, but, all good things end sometimes and I raized Petit Lac Des Cygne to the ground last year.  A new dream now takes it place and work continues on Little Swan Lake.  I have been fortunate to be able to live out my dreams here in Second Life and I am so very thankful.

The old and the new

Petit lac des Cygne1.png

What beautiful looking places!

And your pics are gorgeous.

• Like 2

I loved this old manor house in the now-gone sim of Goatswood. I did live there for a little while (my roleplay home). The builder brought the place back for a short while and I was able to take some pics of my favourite spots. Behind was a small park and path with a Victorian wrought iron gate separating it from the lane that led to the church in the background.

house.thumb.jpg.3b9e3bd63bd2de27d37342fd7642941d.jpg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Cougar Sangria said:

The old and the new

Petit lac des Cygne1.png

That's really beautiful. Great piece of work!

33 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

I loved this old manor house in the now-gone sim of Goatswood. I did live there for a little while (my roleplay home). The builder brought the place back for a short while and I was able to take some pics of my favourite spots. Behind was a small park and path with a Victorian wrought iron gate separating it from the lane that led to the church in the background.

house.thumb.jpg.3b9e3bd63bd2de27d37342fd7642941d.jpg

Looks like something out of a fairy tale, very lovely!

6 hours ago, ChinRey said:

When I grow up I want a little cottage by the sea. Surrounded by a forest, within walking distance of an idyllic lake and lovely open mountains. Otters playing in the water, foxes so tame you can always pet them... But still close enough to civilisation the town is only a short bus or bicycle ride away. With a view of white mountain tops from my living room window. A lush garden where I can grow my own veggies and berry bushes.

So, a fjord?

20Hurtigruten_i_Geirangerfjorden.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Orwar said:

As much as I do love that train, I don't expect it'd make the best living arrangement for two reasons.

Firstly, it's a bit unwieldy - you'd need a pretty large chunk of land to accommodate it. The ratio of interior floor space to exterior space requirement isn't the most optimal; just rezzing the locomotive and one cart takes up a fair stretch of land. 

Secondly, it has a fairly high draw weight, as is usual with stuff from DRD unfortunately. Especially if you want to make a scenic surrounding on ground level with neighbors having their stuff about, it's likely to get quite laggy rather fast. 

An alternative that I unfortunately can't point at any specific product for, is to get an interior only build. I have come across trains (and airplanes) that are built with just the interior, and out the windows there's a scripted texture that moves as if you're flying through the air. It's been a while since I saw any, but they are around, somewhere.

Oh, that is a pity. I was already looking at the images with enchantment. :-). But the problems you mention are familiar to me, fortunately not from my own experience. So you see that building is a profession and that making something that is both beautiful and manageable is quite an art.

6 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Unfortunately, after more than ten years I still haven't managed to get that garden into shape. I love plants but the love is not mutual.

No wait, you mean in SL? Just give me enough space to build and lovely landscapes and scenes to explore and admire.

Haha, can't wait to see what you would build :-). Well, maybe you have allready an example somewhere on SL where you would like to live one day. Or a place like it.

Someday, I would love to have an airfield again. I used to have one where I used to live, but alas, that sim closed about a year and a half ago. As far as housing in general, I am pretty fond of the mid-century aesthetic, and I have even dabbled in making my own house that have that googie/Jetsons style. I would love to have that mid century style in RL as well, though for now I must have it in SL.

Now, if money were no object, I'd love to acquire a few sims, and build the U.S.S. Cygnus from the Black Hole.

m7hwjjvz1uv21.png

• Like 9

1 hour ago, SlammedSam said:

Someday, I would love to have an airfield again. I used to have one where I used to live, but alas, that sim closed about a year and a half ago. As far as housing in general, I am pretty fond of the mid-century aesthetic, and I have even dabbled in making my own house that have that googie/Jetsons style. I would love to have that mid century style in RL as well, though for now I must have it in SL.

Now, if money were no object, I'd love to acquire a few sims, and build the U.S.S. Cygnus from the Black Hole.

m7hwjjvz1uv21.png

Woow, that's as spectacular as it is extraordinary. Funny how everyone has their favorite period in terms of style. I like that. That's why SL is so diverse.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I'd like to return to a region I owned that vanished into the waves.  It was so peaceful, and I miss it very much.  Here are a few images of my old home. 

PT 20190424.jpg

PT 20190909.jpg

PT 20190702.jpg

PT 20190119.jpg

Oh, sorry to hear that regions just can vanish. Especially when that is precisely where your precious place is. Does that happen more often? I hope you get something as beautiful as the pictures again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, archangel969 said:

Oh, sorry to hear that regions just can vanish. Especially when that is precisely where your precious place is. Does that happen more often? I hope you get something as beautiful as the pictures again.

Thank you for your kind comment.  It was my poetic way of saying that I had to give up the region as I couldn't justify the cost any more.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, Orwar said:

So, a fjord?

Of course! But not with sides as steep as that.

5 hours ago, archangel969 said:

Haha, can't wait to see what you would build :-). Well, maybe you have allready an example somewhere on SL where you would like to live one day. Or a place like it.

Ummm, my description was how I actually live in RL. ^_^

It's funny, I'm a house builder in SL but I've never actually thought of what my ideal SL home would be until now. Definitely something very different from my RL home. Very modern with lots of glass and open space inside but also a few secluded nooks. Light greyish oak, larch or beech wood contrasted by rough redbrick or semidressed stone walls. Assymetric roof. Demifloor with interior balcony overlooking a high ceiling living room...

I guess I better start buiding it soon.

• Like 4

Over the last 5 years that I have been a part of SL I have had many homes here. Each one a "dream home" because each one let me live out some fantasy. From little apartments in the seedy side of town to huge mansions on tropical islands. This is one of the beauties of SL, you do not have to sign a lease or a mortgage. I am already planning the next new place. Look for pictures soon.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, archangel969 said:

Go all the way.

I think the closest America translation would be to "go all out" meaning more or less fully do it with nothing stopping you, putting all your cards on the table.  However, going all out reminds me of the card games I used to play as a girl with my whole family.  Melding is also a card term for certain card games as is "go all out" or "I'm ready to meld". 

• Like 1

When I win the lottery, I want a whole region just for my different houses. I don't have enough Li to have more than one up at a time. And I like so many. Now I dream about an underwater build... but I am not tired of the house I have on land. Oh, to have so many Li to spend that I don't have to think about land impact...

Some homes:

Calaran Sky Castlehalloween_008Snow terraceHardwick Manor

• Like 11

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee;
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.

• Like 8

I had my SL dream house at Butterfly Hollow.  It was a Dust Bunny Gacha Home in a Victorian style.  The lighting in that home from Butterfly Hollow is what was so amazing and how the seasons would change.  The Dust Bunny Victorian home is no longer on Butterfly Hollow though as it was a lot of prims so I guess the land owner decided to take it out.

I cannot afford a dream home in SL.  I have had nice homes that are more like a studio.  Dream homes are out of my price range and the Butterfly Hollow home is no longer there.  Plus, I cannot afford a studio to work in and a home.  Most of the photos I do have of my dream home on Butterfly Hollow are on a private FLICKR account.   My dream homes are still the Dust Bunny Victorian Gacha home as well as a few Gacha homes by Scarlet Creative but I don't have that kind of money to spend on SL for the land, all the prims, the landscaping, the lighting.  Heck no.  Be blessed you can.  Here is one photo from my home on Butterfly Hollow, it was my dream home...now a long ago dream.  The home on Butterfly Hollow was surrounded by water.  Must cost a fortune!  The person who runs Butterfly Hollow is a great sim builder especially with lighting.  If you need any help with lighting, she might be one to ask.  Her lighting talent is exquisite although I lit this picture but still her lighting was an inspiration to me to achieve higher.    

Snapshot_1217.png

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 7

42 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

When I win the lottery, I want a whole region just for my different houses. I don't have enough Li to have more than one up at a time. And I like so many. Now I dream about an underwater build... but I am not tired of the house I have on land. Oh, to have so many Li to spend that I don't have to think about land impact...

Some homes:

Calaran Sky Castlehalloween_008Snow terraceHardwick Manor

Wow, and they are all four so different! The last one is my favorite, nut I also like the humor with the funny flying ghosts.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.