Jump to content

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I think the closest America translation would be to "go all out" meaning more or less fully do it with nothing stopping you, putting all your cards on the table.  However, going all out reminds me of the card games I used to play as a girl with my whole family.  Melding is also a card term for certain card games as is "go all out" or "I'm ready to meld". 

Thank you, I'm learning every day! Laughed at the last sentence because when you hear it you think of what the brave last words of an iceream would be when the sun is burning 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was my dream home.  Petit Lac Des Cygne took me months to complete.  I poured my heart and soul into the build and the surrounding landscape.  Inara Pey was kind enough to write a blog post about

For now I am still hiring. And I am happy with villa Rudolfo where I live, don't get me wrong. But in the near future I must... In the Netherlands we say: 'met de billen bloot' [literally it is transl

I'd like to return to a region I owned that vanished into the waves.  It was so peaceful, and I miss it very much.  Here are a few images of my old home. 

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I had my SL dream house at Butterfly Hollow.  It was a Dust Bunny Gacha Home in a Victorian style.  The lighting in that home from Butterfly Hollow is what was so amazing and how the seasons would change.  The Dust Bunny Victorian home is no longer on Butterfly Hollow though as it was a lot of prims so I guess the land owner decided to take it out.

I cannot afford a dream home in SL.  I have had nice homes that are more like a studio.  Dream homes are out of my price range and the Butterfly Hollow home is no longer there.  Plus, I cannot afford a studio to work in and a home.  Most of the photos I do have of my dream home on Butterfly Hollow are on a private FLICKR account.   My dream homes are still the Dust Bunny Victorian Gacha home as well as a few Gacha homes by Scarlet Creative but I don't have that kind of money to spend on SL for the land, all the prims, the landscaping, the lighting.  Heck no.  Be blessed you can.  Here is one photo from my home on Butterfly Hollow, it was my dream home...now a long ago dream.  The home on Butterfly Hollow was surrounded by water.  Must cost a fortune!  The person who runs Butterfly Hollow is a great sim builder especially with lighting.  If you need any help with lighting, she might be one to ask.  Her lighting talent is exquisite although I lit this picture but still her lighting was an inspiration to me to achieve higher.    

Snapshot_1217.png

Oh, I adore Dust Bunny! The first things I bought on mp were from that store and I really really liked them. What a wonderful picture, love the style very much.

Edited by archangel969
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

Thank you, I'm learning every day! Laughed at the last sentence because when you hear it you think of what the brave last words of an iceream would be when the sun is burning 🙂

No, that would be melt not meld.  My sisters and cousins and I learned to play a game called Canasta as children, although we played even higher levels of Canasta called Bolivia and Uruguay.  In these games we have teams, so when one thinks they have the most fantastical amazing hand one needs to ask their teammates "can I meld?" or let team players know one is ready to meld by saying "I'm ready to go all out".  What melding does though is it joins the value of your hand with your team players hands (which one does not know of course, so one has to guess, as all hands are private).  Meld means to join.  So the final tally of your hand laid out on the table is joined (melded) with those of your teammates and the final score is of the whole team.   The team has to agree that you can meld though or go all out first.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

No, that would be melt not meld.  My sisters and cousins and I learned to play a game called Canasta as children, although we played even higher levels of Canasta called Bolivia and Uruguay.  In these games we have teams, so when one thinks they have the most fantastical amazing hand one needs to ask their teammates "can I meld?" or let team players know one is ready to meld by saying "I'm ready to go all out".  What melding does though is it joins the value of your hand with your team players hands (which one does not know of course, so one has to guess, as all hands are private).  Meld means to join.  So the final tally of your hand laid out on the table is joined (melded) with those of your teammates and the final score is of the whole team.   The team has to agree that you can meld though or go all out first.  

Sounds like if a Vulcan "mind-meld" met a Ferengi "latinum-melt".

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

Oh, I adore Dust Bunny! The first things I bought on mp were from that store and I really really liked them. What a wonderful picture, love the style very much.

Yeah, Dust Bunny and Scarlet Creative most definitely my dream homes.  But, what made this a dream home on Butterfly Hollow too was that the lighting changed by itself according to the time of day.  That is very cool if you can figure out how to have the lighting change according to the time of day.  But, now with EEP, I'm sure the lighting could be great but, for me, it's too expensive.  I'm with Marianne, I'd need to win the lottery first.  haha  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Will I ever grow up? Really... the window for that is all but nailed shut. Regardless, I have lived and built many homes both on the mainland and rentals. My current home is about the best balance of personal and public that I have ever created. It's open to the air for those hot summer nights, and buried for when I want a little privacy. It has comfortable seating areas. Access to my low-key in-world store, and a view of the ocean and sunset. No bathrooms...because...I've never understood bathrooms in SL. No kitchen either, but I have a microwave! I have a shower, but oddly enough it's for cleaning up rather than getting dirty. It is my escape from the RL world and my SL home for more than a year, (a new worlds record for me!) Desire (182, 153, 105)

My front door

 

Sitting in my quiet space

 

Inside the bunker

 

 

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2021 at 6:09 PM, archangel969 said:
For now I am still hiring. And I am happy with villa Rudolfo where I live, don't get me wrong. But in the near future I must... In the Netherlands we say: 'met de billen bloot' [literally it is translated: 'with the buttocks exposed'] I think the verb in English is 'nail my color to the mast.' Go all the way. So go premium and buy land and a house.
 
I have two wishes/houses/places I would love to live 'when I grow up.'
  1. Not a house but a train. The DRD express, only available as gacha. I really love trains (in RL I wrote several novels that take place in trains), and especially I adore old ones. And this is a train, available on mp that resembles the legendary Orient express the most. Oh, to live there and travel around the second world! I must thank @Orwar. Without his tip I would not have known this train existed in SL anyway. 
  2. Villa Utrecht. A marvelous villa from @Froukje Hoorenbeek. Apart from trains, I love the European style of house building. And then, to find someone from your own country who builds houses that are so special, fine detailed and full of atmosphere. I would love to buy that house and place it in a estate-like setting with a driveway and leafy paths with oak and beech trees!
 
Oh, to choose! Well, i guess I would buy them both. When I grow up.
And you, my dear forum tigers? What would you buy to live in if you could efford it/ when you grow up? What is your dream house?
 

mesh-villa-mesh-house-1.jpg

mesh-villa-mesh-house-8.jpg

mesh-villa-mesh-house-11.jpg

Snapshot_009.jpg

5v0-C6D_n7BvDlk-CiVYXTl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVvK0kTmF0xjctABnaLJIm9.jpg

drd-3_002.jpg

I have the Dutchie house and everything that goes into the home. It has a basement that you have to terraform for it to fit, but once I did that, it was a wonderful home to live in, I was sad when I had to give up my land it was on, because the owners were moving and weren't going to be leasing land. I have yet to find the perfect place to put it back out again, but IF I could afford an island, that house would be the centerpiece of everything on the island. I love to dream about what I would do if I could afford a full region....*drools a bit and wanders off to dream some more.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Annie Nova said:

I have the Dutchie house and everything that goes into the home. It has a basement that you have to terraform for it to fit, but once I did that, it was a wonderful home to live in, I was sad when I had to give up my land it was on, because the owners were moving and weren't going to be leasing land. I have yet to find the perfect place to put it back out again, but IF I could afford an island, that house would be the centerpiece of everything on the island. I love to dream about what I would do if I could afford a full region....*drools a bit and wanders off to dream some more.

Oh that's so great you actually own this wonderful house. Thank you for sharing your story and I hope you will be able to afford an island. i know that it costs a fortune. Well, dreaming is for free!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alma Palmira said:

Will I ever grow up? Really... the window for that is all but nailed shut. Regardless, I have lived and built many homes both on the mainland and rentals. My current home is about the best balance of personal and public that I have ever created. It's open to the air for those hot summer nights, and buried for when I want a little privacy. It has comfortable seating areas. Access to my low-key in-world store, and a view of the ocean and sunset. No bathrooms...because...I've never understood bathrooms in SL. No kitchen either, but I have a microwave! I have a shower, but oddly enough it's for cleaning up rather than getting dirty. It is my escape from the RL world and my SL home for more than a year, (a new worlds record for me!) Desire (182, 153, 105)

My front door

 

Sitting in my quiet space

 

Inside the bunker

 

 

Opinions are divided about the bathrooms :-).But your home is such a peacefull place, inside and out. What a great home to live in. Masterful if you can build something like that yourself.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

Opinions are divided about the bathrooms :-).But your home is such a peacefull place, inside and out. What a great home to live in. Masterful if you can build something like that yourself.

Thank you. The trees and stones are Heart. But the Bunker underneath is mine, including curved mesh panel walls, doors. The furniture is purchased as well, but all the digging, terraforming, burying and landscaping design is mine. Like anything in SL, it is a collaboration. 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2021 at 3:44 AM, Annie Nova said:

I have the Dutchie house and everything that goes into the home. It has a basement that you have to terraform for it to fit, but once I did that, it was a wonderful home to live in, I was sad when I had to give up my land it was on, because the owners were moving and weren't going to be leasing land. I have yet to find the perfect place to put it back out again, but IF I could afford an island, that house would be the centerpiece of everything on the island. I love to dream about what I would do if I could afford a full region....*drools a bit and wanders off to dream some more.

Just watched an interview with Froukje where she, among other things,  talks about the cellar you mentioned. You must know, I also live in Utrecht and she told the cellar is inspired by the cellars in Utrecht from the houses at the canals. Utrecht has canals just like Amsterdam, you know, but these cellars (werfkelders they are named in Dutch) are very special. The canal is under street level, so you must take the stairs down to get to the canal and there is a path on the 'werfkelder' level. The trees are also planted on that lower level. Originally, the cellars were intended as storage and transit areas for goods that could be brought in and out by water at ground level. Now they are restaurants and during my student time there were lots of (dance) parties there. I met my partner in a werfkelder, so :-).  I even know a house who has a swimming pool in the cellar! Long story short: the shape of the Utrecht villa cellar is that of a typical Utrecht werfkelder! Here are some pictures to illustrate.

werfkelder.jpg

525px-Utrecht_-_Oude_Gracht_en_Hamburgerbrug_1900.jpg

859_1440x960.jpg

humphrey-s-utrecht.jpg

unnamed.jpg

409_1440x960.jpg

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Froukje Hoorenbeek said:

Putting that swimming pool on my list, thank you for the inspiration  https://community.secondlife.com/profile/1544155-archangel969/  🙂 image.thumb.png.8d5de046b31789cb2196d0fcb662f796.png

yes, great isn't it? I saw it during a  tour of Gastheerschap en Cultuur. This is a group of about 400 residents of the Museum Quarter of Utrecht. Every second Sunday of the month, we visit one or more interesting locations. These can be residential houses, but also companies and institutions. Until a few years ago, a wealthy Utrecht family with a painting business lived here. The name escapes me for the moment.

Edit: The idea of a swimming pool in a cellar/underground inspired me too, I used that in a novel, but I placed the swimming pool in that case in the soutterain.

Edited by archangel969
Link to post
Share on other sites

pfiuuuu
such an interesting post...

I don't have time to read it all now but, unless it has already been said, it is not necessary to be premium to own a land.

returned later with my homes of the heart. even if I already grown 😎

On 1/21/2021 at 1:09 AM, archangel969 said:
For now I am still hiring. And I am happy with villa Rudolfo where I live, don't get me wrong. But in the near future I must... In the Netherlands we say: 'met de billen bloot' [literally it is translated: 'with the buttocks exposed'] I think the verb in English is 'nail my color to the mast.' Go all the way. So go premium and buy land and a house.
 
I have two wishes/houses/places I would love to live 'when I grow up.'
  1. Not a house but a train. The DRD express, only available as gacha. I really love trains (in RL I wrote several novels that take place in trains), and especially I adore old ones. And this is a train, available on mp that resembles the legendary Orient express the most. Oh, to live there and travel around the second world! I must thank @Orwar. Without his tip I would not have known this train existed in SL anyway. 
  2. Villa Utrecht. A marvelous villa from @Froukje Hoorenbeek. Apart from trains, I love the European style of house building. And then, to find someone from your own country who builds houses that are so special, fine detailed and full of atmosphere. I would love to buy that house and place it in a estate-like setting with a driveway and leafy paths with oak and beech trees!
 
Oh, to choose! Well, i guess I would buy them both. When I grow up.
And you, my dear forum tigers? What would you buy to live in if you could efford it/ when you grow up? What is your dream house?
 

mesh-villa-mesh-house-1.jpg

mesh-villa-mesh-house-8.jpg

mesh-villa-mesh-house-11.jpg

Snapshot_009.jpg

5v0-C6D_n7BvDlk-CiVYXTl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVvK0kTmF0xjctABnaLJIm9.jpg

drd-3_002.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 4:44 PM, Marianne Little said:

When I win the lottery, I want a whole region just for my different houses. I don't have enough Li to have more than one up at a time. And I like so many. Now I dream about an underwater build... but I am not tired of the house I have on land. Oh, to have so many Li to spend that I don't have to think about land impact...

Some homes:

Calaran Sky Castlehalloween_008Snow terraceHardwick Manor

 

I'm like Marianne .. I have so many houses, from dust bunny, scarlet creative and trompe to 8f8 (my favorite) that I should have a gigantic land.
But I finally managed to rent 4080sqm for a reasonable price and I build a place that I love, with my own landscape plus my new photographic gallery that I've put in a sky island.
But surely in a while I will revolutionize everything and move house, choosing from my inventory the one that will inspire me in that moment 😊

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2021 at 6:09 PM, archangel969 said:
I have two wishes/houses/places I would love to live 'when I grow up.'
  1. Not a house but a train. The DRD express, only available as gacha. I really love trains (in RL I wrote several novels that take place in trains), and especially I adore old ones. And this is a train, available on mp that resembles the legendary Orient express the most. Oh, to live there and travel around the second world!

Nice fantasy!  I bet one day we'll have that -- people could travel around and experience an Orient Express that felt real. Maybe in VR.

There was a relative in my family who absolutely loved trains. He had a job in his youth of waving to people from the caboose as the train rolled through cities. Later in life he had elaborate model trains moving along train tracks in his basement. Could be where I developed my love of 'models'.

Personally, my dream is a huge nature environment without any man-made structures.  Structures only serve as cozy spots to sit in, protected from the elements, and with enormous windows to gaze out at nature.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

My little boathouse has everything I could ever want or need.

 

LOL. Oh yeeees, a cosy little house with BS and his knitted mittens, I may peacefully die if there ever comes a day that I get this!

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Nice fantasy!  I bet one day we'll have that -- people could travel around and experience an Orient Express that felt real. Maybe in VR.

There was a relative in my family who absolutely loved trains. He had a job in his youth of waving to people from the caboose as the train rolled through cities. Later in life he had elaborate model trains moving along train tracks in his basement. Could be where I developed my love of 'models'.

Personally, my dream is a huge nature environment without any man-made structures.  Structures only serve as cozy spots to sit in, protected from the elements, and with enormous windows to gaze out at nature.

Oh, but that is also a wonderful dream! And yes, I absolutely adore trains, but trains in a somewhat fantasised and idealised version of course. In RL I wrote 2 novels where the stories take place in trains. It is my choice not to share my real name here, otherwise I would have shared a link to it, but they are written in Dutch anyway so no one will read that here LOL

And I am also a big big fan of Rail away! I don't meditate or do yoga or something like that, but when the horrors of everyday life and the news get too much for me, I'll watch at least three episodes in a row and the world is good again for a while 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...