TIL - Today I Learned .. share something you learned for the first time

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 221 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Abnor Mole said:

Phil asked about the Belliseria covenant is was explained to him that in Bellisseria we work from the concept that people should be giving people the benefit of the doubt rather than assuming every avatar that happens to enter your parcel has ill intent. That is why we amended the covenant to disallow devices to automatically add avatars to the parcel ban list. He pointed out that his could do the same thing essentially by adding them automatically to the device's blacklist (and that wasn't expressly disallowed in the covenant according to his interpretation).

I agreed that it is essentially the same thing... and because of that I recommend not including that feature in the "Bellisseria" setting on the device he makes and sells. 

I applaud him for wanting to make a security device that makes it easy for users to know they are complying with the covenant. I simply pointed out that adding features that use loopholes in the letter of the law to get around it and violating the spirt behind it is not the way to go. When that happens we will just amend the covenant again if we have to, making such "Bellisseria compliant" devices non-compliant. And then he will have to change it anyway if he wants to sell and advertise it as a "Bellisseria compliant" device.

Well simple solution.  Let anyone who gets zapped by it abuse report it.

Soon see what Governance have to say.

• Like 2

I specifically asked if Bellisseria tenants are allowed to ban people with the land's ban list by hand, because I was adding buttons in the menus to add and remove named avatars to and from the land's ban list. I didn't want to waste time writing that part, so I asked.

The question was answered straight away, but a discussion followed. That's when I learned about the unwritten 'spirit' of the Bellisseria covenant and, because of it, I removed the blacklist altogether, even though the use of a blacklist isn't a method of banning anyone. Only names in the land's ban list are actually banned with banlines from the parcel. During the discussion, Fionalein suggested an excellent alternative, which I now use in the device that I'm updating. It's all been sorted out.

• Like 1

• Moles
6 hours ago, belindacarson said:

Well simple solution.  Let anyone who gets zapped by it abuse report it.

Soon see what Governance have to say.

Governance doesn't write the Linden Homes Covenant, the LDPW does. You can trust me when I say we are the authority on questions regarding it's meaning and interpretation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

49 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

Governance doesn't write the Linden Homes Covenant, the LDPW does. You can trust me when I say we are the authority on questions regarding it's meaning and interpretation. 

You guys do an excellent job!

TIL: A "Covenant" is "an agreement between two or more parties". So, anyone who gets a Linden Home agrees to the LH Covenant.

TIL!

(There is no such thing as a "unilateral" covenant.)

• Like 1

TIL that, although banlines only go up a short distance, they are actually effective all the way up the parcel column.

I was helping a customer, who told me that the my security device allows another avatar in the level because it's in the white list. But after it's logged out and logs back in, it lands outside the parcel, and she thought that the LevelGuard was doing it. She TPed me over and I landed outside too, as did an alt of mine. This was on and around a platform way up in the sky. 

It turned out that she had banlines turned on. They didn't prevent avatars from moving onto the platform, but they did prevent them from landing there. So banlines have an effect all the way up the parcel column.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

TIL that, although banlines only go up a short distance, they are actually effective all the way up the parcel column.

I was helping a customer, who told me that the my security device allows another avatar in the level because it's in the white list. But after it's logged out and logs back in, it lands outside the parcel, and she thought that the LevelGuard was doing it. She TPed me over and I landed outside too, as did an alt of mine. This was on and around a platform way up in the sky. 

It turned out that she had banlines turned on. They didn't prevent avatars from moving onto the platform, but they did prevent them from landing there. So banlines have an effect all the way up the parcel column.

Interesting

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ironically, "unanimous" has the Latin origin "one mind"!

I doesn't mean what you are implying. It means 'of one mind'; i.e. multiple individuals are of one mind about something. I am unanimous about that :D

Edited by Phil Deakins

Today I learned that Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is banned in some Florida schools because it mentions sex. Those schools only allow students to read excerpts of the play.

Romeo & Juliet was read aloud in my junior high English class. I think any sexual references were so cloaked in Elizabethian colloquial inuindo that none of the students knew there were sexual references.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
aloud
  • Like 7

1024 free tier which can be used for a Linden Home or mainland, but mainland must be bought because it belongs to someone else. LL could give 1024 of the massive amount of abandoned land though. It wouldn't be ideal because desirable land would be in short supply, but I think it wouldn't hurt to offer it.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Sad 1

On 9/3/2023 at 9:15 AM, Sid Nagy said:

Desirable mainland that is abandoned?  Really?
I would not want most of the mainland, even if LL payed me for it.
Learning something new every day.

Happen more often than you think.

"*day 1*

Hahaha I am a noob land-baron-wannabe and I heard there's a SHORTAGE of decent land in SL, so I have invested a whole $40 ish, and bought this highly desirable 4096 for 1.5 L$/m!

I will now flip it for 12.5 L$/m and make HUGE profits!

*day 8*

Why isn't it selling, maybe I priced it too high? OK, new price 9.3 L$/m! It's bound to sell now!

*day 15*

It's still NOT selling, I don't understand? I followed the Sacred Rules of the Imaginary Guiding Hand of the Fictional Free Market Fairy's Not-A-Law-At-All of Supply and Demand! OK, 6.2 L$/m damn it.

*day 22*

ARGHHHHHH! I do not understand what's wrong with this place, is this parcel cursed or something? 3.1 L$/m...

*day 29*

Oh By the Sacred Profit Ledger of St Friedman! It's almost Tier Day when I will suffer another $22 of Sunk Costs, I'll never even break even, let alone make the Holy Huge Profits! I'm ABANDONING this parcel before I incur more unrecoverable losses!

*day 35*

System Message : LandManager Linden has set this 4096 desirable parcel for public auction in response to a support ticket to claim it.

*day 36*

System Message : The Auction is closed and the winning ( and only ) bid is from Baron Greedygutz von Laandenflippen, of 0.5 L$/m.

SOLD"

I know somebody who bought a half region, coastal, world ocean view, A rated, on Zindra, at an Auction.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2023 at 12:48 PM, Phil Deakins said:

They didn't prevent avatars from moving onto the platform, but they did prevent them from landing there. So banlines have an effect all the way up the parcel column.

If you read other peoples posts, you might have noticed I actually said that some time back, in other threads, I've known it for years!

:D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Come visit Danim.

Sure there are a few places worth to be or live on Mainland.
But most of mainland is IMHO living in a junkyard or an empty desert at best.

Belli has no real eyesores around and a coordinated look and feel. A big improvement over Mainland if you want land to live on IMHO.

Estate land only costs tier and the need to find a good landbaron, that leaves you alone as much as possible.
I'm on one of the Anshe estates. They always have land that I'm looking for and customer service within minutes. Try that with LL.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 221 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.