TIL - Today I Learned .. share something you learned for the first time

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

TIL The lower Hudson River is actually a tidal estuary, with the daily tides extending north of Albany, NY and the Atlantic salt, though it varies, sometimes coming as far north as we were today, north of the Mid-Hudson Bridge for a Celebration of Life  for a friend who has survived cancer and just been granted permanent resident status here.  Beautiful day, beautiful celebration, beautiful river....... uh, estuary.

20230910_154744.jpg.2ca81c576215b1183522da17d7a3d7ff.jpg

20230910_154719.thumb.jpg.fa0ddba4bf7e790c558d7df2636d0eaf.jpg

20230910_154728.thumb.jpg.d5990f8547cea0a94c9a9de8960a0b01.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Not today, but only recently did I learn that in Windows 10 and 11 holding down the Windows key + V opens up your clipboard history and allows you to paste items from it.   Very useful.

Holy moly... had no idea and I'm a regular user of just about every other Win + key combo...

• Like 2

TIL:

(and this I find incredible, and not at all useful)

Sometimes when I want to emphasise the end of a piece of writing, I press "shift" and the underscore key 5 times (from the top row where the numbers are).

TIL that if you put your finger on the "Ctrl" key instead of the "shift" key and press the underscore key 5 times, it shrinks the size of your page down!

(What a ball-ache when you didn't want to do that though.)

🦀🦀🦀

Edited by Marigold Devin
-_
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Today I learned that a certain hand emoji is considered inappropriate for the forums. 

This is ok 👌, literally. 

These are allowable too:  🤏 .

Persephone u taught me a bad emoji and I used it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Today I learned that a certain hand emoji is considered inappropriate for the forums. 

This is ok 👌, literally. 

These are allowable too:  🤏 .

You may be interested to learn that the "OK" gesture was hijacked awhile back by um..bad guys. But also: the same gesture is considered in many cultures to mean your um.."out-hole" (and in some cultures, the same as the "middle finger").

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/26/764728163/the-ok-hand-gesture-is-now-listed-as-a-symbol-of-hate

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK_gesture

• Sad 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.