TIL - Today I Learned .. share something you learned for the first time

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 190 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, LilNosferatu said:

today I learned:

A couple years ago, Microsoft tried a 4-day workweek in Japan and gave everyone Fridays off. They also said meetings should be no more than 30 minutes long, and the amount of meetings in general should be reduced by using online messenger apps. Productivity jumped 40% compared to the same period the previous year.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/04/tech/microsoft-japan-workweek-productivity

I've worked (by my choice) 4 day weeks since around 2008. I'm only able to do this because my RL partner has a well-paid career, and it's the reason why I have no intention of changing my job. I wouldn't voluntarily return to 5 day weeks except in extreme desperation. 

And for evidence of the stupidity of people making bad decisions in large groups, see "Brexit".

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LilNosferatu said:

They also said meetings should be no more than 30 minutes long, and the amount of meetings in general should be reduced by using online messenger apps.

3 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

meetingsdemotivator_grande.jpeg?v=155432

When I first went to work for the local telecom company (about 3 decades ago -- when there were no 'messaging apps' at work), they truly had a meeting every Monday morning with all of the team leaders to plan the meetings for that week.  I was dumbfounded.

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...

Today I learned that not all static IP addresses are always static.

Yesterday my broadband, landline and TV went down. The fault wasn't in my home. 2 or 3 hours later, it was all back back but my websites couldn't reached. I'd paid for a static IP address so that shouldn't have been the reason. I checked everything else and today I ended up checking the IP address. It had changed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well, technically I learned this yesterday but neglected to post it.

I learned that you cannot ride into the ocean at the Motown regions:

https://screenrec.com/share/QCxOdJ1Wtk

Did you try just "becoming one with the ocean" instead?  Once you realize that there is only water, it's not hard.

TIL that resurrecting a thread can actually work out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Today I learned...

Antlion larvae are unusual among insects in lacking an anus. All the metabolic waste generated during the larval stage is stored. I suspect this designed-in constipation is what makes antlions so ferocious.

Antlion larval stage:

440px-Myrmeleontidae_-_Distoleon_tetragrammicus.JPG

The adults are rather pretty and are often mistaken for dragonflies.

440px-Distoleon_tetragrammicus01.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 6/23/2023 at 11:28 AM, Love Zhaoying said:
On 6/23/2023 at 8:32 AM, Luna Bliss said:

Well, technically I learned this yesterday but neglected to post it.

I learned that you cannot ride into the ocean at the Motown regions:

https://screenrec.com/share/QCxOdJ1Wtk

Did you try just "becoming one with the ocean" instead?  Once you realize that there is only water, it's not hard.

TIL that resurrecting a thread can actually work out!

Well, I'm hoping today to learn that.

I am off to become a jellyfish in SL and attend a water blessing ceremony.  So, in receiving messages from the ocean I might become one with her  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Today I learned that even people who come off as open minded are narrow in view, even people who are straightforward and upright are more about playing their ego games than truth, and even those who think they're being realistic are lost in fantasy.

I learn this every day, but it's as if it's the first time, every time.

Carry on, humanity. I'll be over there, fiddling with my crafting projects, if you need me for anything.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

Today I learned that even people who come off as open minded are narrow in view, even people who are straightforward and upright are more about playing their ego games than truth, and even those who think they're being realistic are lost in fantasy.

I learn this every day, but it's as if it's the first time, every time.

Carry on, humanity. I'll be over there, fiddling with my crafting projects, if you need me for anything.

That's interesting, Pheeby.  I don't encounter a lot of people like this and so need to learn this every day.  I do from time-to-time, but not every day. I wonder why this is happening to you so much.

21 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

That's interesting, Pheeby.  I don't encounter a lot of people like this and so need to learn this every day.  I do from time-to-time, but not every day. I wonder why this is happening to you so much.

I wonder why you chose to quote me.

Today I learned that many people who make a big deal out of how in tune they are, and how spiritual, and how sensitive, are often thinly veiling a very prominent shadow aspect rooted in a need to feel superior to others and somehow "better" than them.

They talk about how important feelings are, and use all sorts of words to convey what they want people to think of them, while their behavior shows motives that even they themselves would find disgusting in others. Or claim to.

And, I also learned today that even people who feel they need no faith, or have lost whatever faith they once had, are just as prone to the same behaviors. They look down on anyone's beliefs as naiive if they aren't completely materialistic, jaded, and otherwise "sophisticated".

A friend began making anti-semitic comments in front of me and several others and equating an entire race and faith with satanic, blood-drinking child eaters. The arrogance with which he spoke to the others of us showed he had a strong need to feel superior, to be right. His need to have me around was obviously zero, so I left.

It's not only what you say, it's how you act that matters. See you around!

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

A friend began making anti-semitic comments in front of me and several others and equating an entire race and faith with satanic, blood-drinking child eaters. The arrogance with which he spoke to the others of us showed he had a strong need to feel superior, to be right. His need to have me around was obviously zero, so I left.

It's not only what you say, it's how you act that matters.

Yes, I'd certainly avoid this person if possible.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 190 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.