How much linden does a typical avatar cost?

Jovanique

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1205 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Slink disappointed me because I had the three feet (flat, medium and high) and when they came out with kitten and pointe, all feet in a deluxe pack, the pack cost crazy much, and us who had supported them, had to buy the new single feet, and then apply to get all feet in a bundle. Plus they went too far with the Bom... Maitreya does it so much better. And free update with the new feet included, when Maitreya added kitten and pointe.

How others conduct their business is up to them, but I lost some love for Slink there.

I think it was Wowmeh - Slink Physique - TMP - Belleza Venus - Maitreya Lara. Maitreya Lara was the last, late December or early January.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Slink disappointed me because I had the three feet (flat, medium and high) and when they came out with kitten and pointe, all feet in a deluxe pack, the pack cost crazy much, and us who had supported them, had to buy the new single feet, and then apply to get all feet in a bundle. Plus they went too far with the Bom... Maitreya does it so much better. And free update with the new feet included, when Maitreya added kitten and pointe.

How others conduct their business is up to them, but I lost some love for Slink there.

I think it was Wowmeh - Slink Physique - TMP - Belleza Venus - Maitreya Lara. Maitreya Lara was the last, late December or early January.

OTOH It's not like Maitreya gives out their addons (like the smaller chest) because you own the previous one. It's bought separately. At least neither forced you to buy a whole new full-priced product to get a new minor addition like a certain other company.

(I would also argue that Slink had the only good approach to BoM but I suppose that's about preferences...)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

What is the BOM difference between Slink and Maitreya or other bodies?  

Slink and Maitreya both got rid of onion/applier layers. Other manufacturers didn't.

Slink went one step further by removing the "chunk alpha" feature that bodies typically use, making theirs use less computer resources to render. Maitreya did not. The downside of that is of course that you have to make alpha layers for some outfits, which can get annoying. Though Slink does provide a massive box of them for free.

edit: Oh, and Maitreya did leave the applier layers as separate attachments. Slink still provides the body that has them as a permanent option, but considers that feature outdated so it's not on the newest update.

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2020 at 7:16 PM, FairreLilette said:

It was most likely because of the feet and hands not being attached.  All those different feet cost a lot too; and, especially when one is new, Slink is quite confusing.  Just look at the prices of all those feet selling individually on Marketplace.  This is probably why Slink lost it's popularity; newbies don't get it, and Maitreya is just a better deal and easier to understand.  Slink should just put out a bundle and get rid of selling separate feet for 675L each foot style or thereabouts, plus 890L for hands.  

I know there is a bundle now but there wasn't a bundle for a long time.  I loved Maitreya from day one but the feet and hands really sold it.

What's really bugging me is that the old templets, the one's needed for BOM, the nipples are off center for most mesh bodies, so many skin makers are only making a tattoo for the face instead of a whole skin.  Maitreya has the nipple built into the HUD too choose from now (under advanced in the newest menu) so they 'could' make full BOM skins and just include a notecard to use the nipples in the HUD - at least for Maitreya.  I think BOM FULL skin (not face tattoos) could reduce the SL lag from these behemoth polygon bodies IF skin makers will start to make full BOM skins and then all of us would have a much better SL.  

Slink was good to me with upgrades at no cost. I had the body, feet, and hands pre-BoM so I got the upgrade to Redux Bundle for free. 

Slink feet were an early release of mesh feet. Shoe makers pretty much universally supported Slink feet and still do. They are sort of the defacto standard.

The Redux body comes in two versions, the Redux Body Bundle with hands and feet (5 sizes) built in. Now the combination of body, feet, and hands take only one attachment point. There is also the Redux Body, without hands and feet. There are separate hands and feet still available.

The Redux Bundle comes with everything, body, feet, hands, skins, brows, toe and finger tats, asymmetric arms, box of alphas, alpha templates for download and as a pre-made tattoo layer, and Blueberry underwear. Plus they through in the Classic body too, which is the appliers needed body with alpha cuts. All for L$2,800. Or you can buy the body only for L$1,250. However, the Classic and separate hands and feet are mentioned only in the find print. The main add for the body says hands and feet included. So, I doubt noobs will be confused.

The separate feet and hands are for those that want good feet and hands for other bodies. Not for those buying Slink bodies.

• Thanks 1

Just recently I created a new account / character on low budget: 

Head: Logo 1 L$ promotion

Skin & Shape : Logo 300 L$

Mesh Body: Sweet Ruth 2.0: 1 L$

Hair: A new release from Argrace 300 L$

P***y: VAW 800 L$

AO: Vista 1.800

Other: It's not mine hud 900 L$

Cloth: Several pretty outfits each either Group gifts or 1 L$

Total : max 4.200 L$

So far that is.

candy.png

Edited by Caroline Takeda
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Caroline Takeda said:

Just recently I created a new account / character on low budget: 

Head: Logo 1 L$ promotion

Skin & Shape : Logo 300 L$

Mesh Body: Sweet Ruth 2.0: 1 L$

Hair: A new release from Argrace 300 L$

P***y: VAW 800 L$

AO: Vista 1.800

Other: It's not mine hud 900 L$

Cloth: Several pretty outfits each either Group gifts or 1 L$

Total : max 4.200 L$

So far that is.

candy.png

She is adorable! Wonderful job! 😊

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2020 at 8:04 PM, FairreLilette said:

What is the BOM difference between Slink and Maitreya or other bodies?  

The "worst" body is Belleza, who has not even an option to activate BoM, you have to wear a relay when you will use BoM.

Slink has 2 options: All or nothing. If you want 1 layer, you have to take the pre - BoM body that has 3 layers. If you do not bother* to find alpha layers, but will use the cuts on outfits, use the pre - BoM body. You can still use BoM on this body, but it is only added.

Slink has also the Redux body that has 0 layers and 0 alpha cuts. You have to use 100% BoM and 100% alpha layers.

Maitreya kept the alpha cuts and deliver the body free of layers out of the box. You need to add the layers if you need them. So you can use only 1 layer if you need one. Maitreya also divided the layers into sections so you can use more than one applier on a layer.

Some people praise Slink for this, and say it is a better solution than Maitreya. As you understand, I do not. YMMV.

*Bother is a wrong word, since it sounds like people are lazy. It is more a decision to what you will spend SL time on, take the fast way of some alpha cuts, or find the alpha from a set or make an alpha yourself. I don't see myself as lazy, but I do not want to spend time on things that I do not have to spend time on. SL is, after all, my entertainment and not my job.

Edited by Marianne Little
Added after *
  • Like 2

You can make a pretty nice looking avi for free, to tie you over, if you want to build up to more specific items/a more specific look over time. The Atnea body from Lucybody is a nice free mesh body which actually you could use long term as your main mesh body. It looks great with a nice shape and a free BOM skin. Wow Skins usually have a good quality group gift skin. Most Maitreya clothing and shoes fit it and also Slink shoes fit. You can get a lot of dollarbie and promo clothing on the MP for next to nothing. There is plenty of free group gift hair around. Diva have a nice one and the group is free to join. There have been a lot of free heads being given away, so you just have to keep your ear to the ground on what heads are going for free. But there you go, virtually no L$ spent, maybe a few at most on the MP dollarbie and promo clothing. You can get dollarbie makeups too.

Edited by Scarlett Fenutzini

On 11/24/2020 at 2:17 AM, Marianne Little said:

The "worst" body is Belleza, who has not even an option to activate BoM, you have to wear a relay when you will use BoM.

Lol!!!! No you don’t. You literally get the free converter from the store, click it and you have a BoM Belleza body. The hud and the alpha cuts still work too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

you can get a good one for 200 Linden's I have but to customize it more you might want to spend more so I actually recommend
2000 Linden dollars for your budget and don't stick to human avatars that's very limiting there's a lot of choices out there shop around

do not limit yourself to Only Humans there's a lot more choices out there besides furries and humans

Edited by ArcticFox1x

• 1 month later...

It really depends. My main probably coated about L$2000 or L$3000 plus clothing, since older child avatars aren't terribly expensive. I built my alt though using a free mesh avatar and clothe him in stuff from advent gifts, so he only coated about L$100 (mostly for the hair).

It all really depends on the kind of avatar, your timing, and what you want to spend. I want to keep my alt low cost, so I just don't buy him expensive things.

Depending on the mesh body and head combo; plus skin and shape (if you don't make your own shapes); I would say you can pay anything between L$7000 to L$15,000 - then that with out the personal touches such as tattoos but some people save money by making their own shapes though I wasn't one of them however I'm happy with Seren's look. :) 

The price of an avatar also scales with what you've got in mind. If you crave a very specific look, you will quite likely need to pay a substantial sum to achieve it. However if you're more flexible and enjoy the idea of mixing and matching, you're spoiled for inexpensive and even free choice - and you'll even connect with other people on the grid. Skins, shapes, clothes, gift cards - entire houses, interior, pets and cars, top quality too and all can be had for very little if you're a bit patient and keep an eye out in the various freebie groups.

Every couple of weeks a new hunt will start, some are a bit simple, others incredibly intricate and entertaining. From riddles to prop hunt and there too, you get wonderful gowns and dresses and curious items. And like before, it's also fun and connects you to other people. 

But if you want a specific look? Yeah, it's going to cost. Personally my advice would be to grab a decent mesh body, mesh head - a skin from the same designer for both and then a beautiful hairstyle you enjoy. That's a good base to start with and will run you around 10k to 15k, depending on what you go for and whether there's a sale going on. You will also want an AO but if you're willing to tinker, you can save Linden as well.

For example there are various free AO on the market and with minimal work, you can tweak and expand on them. Instead of buying a whole AO for 2k, you buy individual animations for much less and unless you really need a hundred standing animations, you come out not only for less cost but also more individual.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1205 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.