14. You very quickly run out of things to do.

Odaks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

24 minutes ago, Simo Vodopan said:

Oh I don't care it's just these guys think they're being badasses I mean and try to impress.

I do it because I want to and SL needs freedom.  I think dressing up like a wolf is stupid, but I don't go moaning at anyone who does it.

4 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

I do it because I want to and SL needs freedom.  I think dressing up like a wolf is stupid, but I don't go moaning at anyone who does it.

Probably 'cus you don't understand why someone chooses that kind of avatar. It's boring to think that only humans would exist.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sunnyrio said:

All those things you listed sound like the "local community" crap I get in leaflets through my door, pointless clubs to join.  I can find plenty to amuse myself with in real life, in fact there's too much to fit in.  But almost all of that cannot be done in SL.

I wasn’t suggesting everyone would enjoy the things on my list, it’s of course tailored to my own interests and I have done many of these both SL and First Life too. But it’s really up to you to make what you will of any life, isn’t it? If I ‘ran out of things to do’ in SL, I probably wouldn’t log in anymore. The breaks I’ve taken from SL were often because there was too much to do there and I like to keep a very good balance between everything in my live both on and off the computer. But SL is really one of the most creative things I’ve ever participated in online so it replaces social media for me almost entirely and I know many people ‘waste time’ on that in huge amounts. Many people in the thread have given you their impressions of what is good in SL but you must please yourself and assign your own values as we all do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I wasn’t suggesting everyone would enjoy the things on my list, it’s of course tailored to my own interests and I have done many of these both SL and First Life too. But it’s really up to you to make what you will of any life, isn’t it? If I ‘ran out of things to do’ in SL, I probably wouldn’t log in anymore. The breaks I’ve taken from SL were often because there was too much to do there and I like to keep a very good balance between everything in my live both on and off the computer. But SL is really one of the most creative things I’ve ever participated in online so it replaces social media for me almost entirely and I know many people ‘waste time’ on that in huge amounts. Many people in the thread have given you their impressions of what is good in SL but you must please yourself and assign your own values as we all do. 

Although everyone is entitled to their opinion, ours are wasted on the OP.  The only value he seems to find in sl is here in the forums telling us that everything we do is boring and a waste of time.  Why he bothers to take the time out of his busy schedule of playing Fallout 4 is beyond me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, sunnyrio said:

If I wanted to create things in my own mind I could stare at a blank screen.

You're right. You would probably enjoy it much more than you appear to enjoy SL.

Which makes me wonder why you haven't deleted your account yet.

• Thanks 3

20 hours ago, sunnyrio said:

Yet this entire thread has been nothing but "moaning" about how much SL sucks to you compared to modern video games because you won't give anything a chance. :v

The bottom line seems to be that you can't see past graphical limitations or the fact that you're interacting with other real people on the platform instead of video game npcs and find every suggestion other people try to give "stupid" and won't consider, well, any of them.

Which begs the question, why keep posting just to tear down others' opinions and advice/tips if they're not going to satisfy whatever expectations you have?

(This is coming from someone who also struggles to find a place to really settle down and get myself out there to the general populace, mind you. You can't really help someone who won't give anything a chance or try to see from another person's point of view.)

• Like 2

I hangout, chat, shop, dress, and script. And then I do it all over again. I don’t get bored; if at any moment I prefer doing something else SL lacks, then I log off and do that—or even do it concurrently with being in SL, if possible. It doesn’t occur to me to moan about SL lacking that possibility anymore than about a cup of coffee not being able to proof-read my writings, or LibreOffice not quite getting me up in the morning. Would it be good if SL did more? Sure, but that is so old a debate, I just can’t be arsed into it anymore.

In the end, some people actually like SL for the opportunity it brings them to find new things to complain about. They’re easy to see by their unbreakable focus on all the things that don’t work, instead of the ones that do... and also by how often they keep coming back to the very thing they complain so much about. Whining is a popular sport, and of course some go as far as feeding off the reactions to it. That’s par for the course and, if you keep an open mind, it can even be amusing to see how much they like to dislike things—and how incapable they are of admitting it.

Edited by Ren Toxx
  • Like 6

I've always found Second Life is what you make of it. You will get out what you put into it. 

Much of this reminds me of a child who complains to their parent "I'm bored!" The one response that would get from me is to give them chores to do. 

I don't think I've ever been bored in either world.  I find tremendous pleasure in just being alive. I've been in SL since 2009. My Dad introduced me to it when my health stuff started catching up with me that I was born with. He wanted me to have a world I could do anything in and socialize. Second Life was the last gift my Dad could share with me because although I didn't know it at the time, he was dying of cancer. He knew it, but I didn't. I cherish Second Life and the freedom it has given back to my life. 

In Second Life I can take long walks. I go horse back riding, rollerskating, dancing, sailing, boating and shopping. I am an elf who role plays off and on. I love exploring, taking photos and blogging. I really enjoy the process of putting together a full mesh avatar for free or low-cost and blog about it.  I love fashion and i want to even try to vlog perhaps at some point. I love trying to improve and learn how to take better photos. I love decorating my home for seasons and holidays.

My two spiritual communities are here. Sometimes I can even be found singing among a small circle of friends who get together weekly to share stories and songs with one another. 

I have three sisters here. I have a husband and three daughters. The few friends I have are treasures. I love spending time with them. Second Life allows my imagination to soar and it has never failed me.

You will always get back what you put into something. I've loved reading through these responses. So much enjoyment has been found. 💗

If you view something as garbage, no wonder all you receive back is nothing but your boredom.  

• Like 7

On 10/28/2020 at 9:54 PM, Simo Vodopan said:

Probably 'cus you don't understand why someone chooses that kind of avatar. It's boring to think that only humans would exist.

Then why not something more appropriate like a parrot?  Unlike a wolf they can talk and fly, just like your avatar.

On 10/28/2020 at 10:13 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Try a book sometime.

I expect more from SL than a book.

On 10/28/2020 at 11:21 PM, Fauve Aeon said:

SL could be great, but the basics like the graphics engine are a decade or two out of date.  Make it look as good as Fallout 4 (which is a brilliant adventure by the way, where you can also build stuff, collect stuff, talk to people, etc), then it will be a success.

On 10/29/2020 at 1:36 AM, Paul Hexem said:

Which area? You know there are thousands, right?

Tell me one place that's truly interactive.  And I don't just mean the crap where you sit on a sofa and sort of kiss each other in an unconvincing manner.

On 10/29/2020 at 3:29 AM, Zippy Cortes said:

Anyone, and I mean anyone, is always welcome to join me for a game of SL Golf.

Now that sounds more interesting.  Where is the golf range?

21 hours ago, Maitimo said:

You're right. You would probably enjoy it much more than you appear to enjoy SL.

Which makes me wonder why you haven't deleted your account yet.

For the same reason I don't throw things away at home that I rarely use.

20 hours ago, Anuuubis said:

Yet this entire thread has been nothing but "moaning" about how much SL sucks to you compared to modern video games because you won't give anything a chance. :v

The bottom line seems to be that you can't see past graphical limitations or the fact that you're interacting with other real people on the platform instead of video game npcs and find every suggestion other people try to give "stupid" and won't consider, well, any of them.

Which begs the question, why keep posting just to tear down others' opinions and advice/tips if they're not going to satisfy whatever expectations you have?

(This is coming from someone who also struggles to find a place to really settle down and get myself out there to the general populace, mind you. You can't really help someone who won't give anything a chance or try to see from another person's point of view.)

I moan about things that matter, not petty stuff like "Mr Smith said a rude word to me and I'm scarred for life!"

The graphics are the whole basis of the game, or would you rather go back to chatrooms in text?

I believe Fallout 4 can be multiplayer....

I asked a question of what there is to do, and have received about 4 useful answers, which I will try out someday.  It's you lot that are pathetic and get upset if I don't like every single suggestion.

6 hours ago, Ren Toxx said:

I hangout, chat, shop, dress, and script. And then I do it all over again. I don’t get bored; if at any moment I prefer doing something else SL lacks, then I log off and do that—or even do it concurrently with being in SL, if possible. It doesn’t occur to me to moan about SL lacking that possibility anymore than about a cup of coffee not being able to proof-read my writings, or LibreOffice not quite getting me up in the morning. Would it be good if SL did more? Sure, but that is so old a debate, I just can’t be arsed into it anymore.

In the end, some people actually like SL for the opportunity it brings them to find new things to complain about. They’re easy to see by their unbreakable focus on all the things that don’t work, instead of the ones that do... and also by how often they keep coming back to the very thing they complain so much about. Whining is a popular sport, and of course some go as far as feeding off the reactions to it. That’s par for the course and, if you keep an open mind, it can even be amusing to see how much they like to dislike things—and how incapable they are of admitting it.

It's not whining, it's providing insight into what the programmers should be doing to improve it.  Has it actually been updated apart from a few bugfixes in the last 10 years?

2 hours ago, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

I've always found Second Life is what you make of it. You will get out what you put into it. 

Much of this reminds me of a child who complains to their parent "I'm bored!" The one response that would get from me is to give them chores to do. 

I don't think I've ever been bored in either world.  I find tremendous pleasure in just being alive. I've been in SL since 2009. My Dad introduced me to it when my health stuff started catching up with me that I was born with. He wanted me to have a world I could do anything in and socialize. Second Life was the last gift my Dad could share with me because although I didn't know it at the time, he was dying of cancer. He knew it, but I didn't. I cherish Second Life and the freedom it has given back to my life. 

In Second Life I can take long walks. I go horse back riding, rollerskating, dancing, sailing, boating and shopping. I am an elf who role plays off and on. I love exploring, taking photos and blogging. I really enjoy the process of putting together a full mesh avatar for free or low-cost and blog about it.  I love fashion and i want to even try to vlog perhaps at some point. I love trying to improve and learn how to take better photos. I love decorating my home for seasons and holidays.

My two spiritual communities are here. Sometimes I can even be found singing among a small circle of friends who get together weekly to share stories and songs with one another. 

I have three sisters here. I have a husband and three daughters. The few friends I have are treasures. I love spending time with them. Second Life allows my imagination to soar and it has never failed me.

You will always get back what you put into something. I've loved reading through these responses. So much enjoyment has been found. 💗

If you view something as garbage, no wonder all you receive back is nothing but your boredom.  

Real life has 100 times more things you can do, with 100 times the interactability.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

Then why not something more appropriate like a parrot?  Unlike a wolf they can talk and fly, just like your avatar.

I expect more from SL than a book.

SL could be great, but the basics like the graphics engine are a decade or two out of date.  Make it look as good as Fallout 4 (which is a brilliant adventure by the way, where you can also build stuff, collect stuff, talk to people, etc), then it will be a success.

Tell me one place that's truly interactive.  And I don't just mean the crap where you sit on a sofa and sort of kiss each other in an unconvincing manner.

Now that sounds more interesting.  Where is the golf range?

For the same reason I don't throw things away at home that I rarely use.

I moan about things that matter, not petty stuff like "Mr Smith said a rude word to me and I'm scarred for life!"

The graphics are the whole basis of the game, or would you rather go back to chatrooms in text?

I asked a question of what there is to do, and have received about 4 useful answers, which I will try out someday.  It's you lot that are pathetic and get upset if I don't like every single suggestion.

It's not whining, it's providing insight into what the programmers should be doing to improve it.  Has it actually been updated apart from a few bugfixes in the last 10 years?

Real life has 100 times more things you can do, with 100 times the interactability.

Whew whee, got me there mate... well, if we're going that route I was thinking more like a fighter jet of sorts. Gotta give em' a little of that *bang bang* if ya know what I mean.

8 minutes ago, Simo Vodopan said:

Whew whee, got me there mate... well, if we're going that route I was thinking more like a fighter jet of sorts. Gotta give em' a little of that *bang bang* if ya know what I mean.

You could be an Apache Attack Helicopter, but that's not very politically correct (see: memes).

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

It's not whining, it's providing insight into what the programmers should be doing to improve it.

This is the forum for fellow residents, not the LL suggestion box so yes, you are literally complaining to fellow residents an the Linden Lab crew will probably never even see what you have written here. Repeated complaining = whining. 

Your approach and then your ensuing attitude is a large part of the problem. You notice you only got one invitation to do anything, right? I’m betting many people came in, read your posts and just passed over even commenting? I don’t really care what you like and don’t like, you are the one with nothing to do so it’s a bit high and mighty to expect others to provide you with entertainment possibilities like a Cruise Director? You got some good suggestions in a broad range of interests and I think it’s really too bad you are too dull to even take them on for a try. 

The rest of us seem to have plenty to do or at least in this thread, we have liked to hear and share remarks on what others enjoy, not being so narrow-minded and uncreative that we have to rely on or expect something or someone to entertain us with no effort being put in. You may feel you are a discerning individual, only willing to do ‘certain things’ but to me you sound like a mopey and unhappy person honestly, believing nothing is good enough to even try, right? You’ve spent more effort complaining in this thread than many of us do having fun in SL. I’ve decorated a club and collaborated with a dj to make a party since this thread has started, and I’m on a tablet and not even inworld all that much?  What have you done in-world since this thread has started? Anything at all? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Simo Vodopan said:

You just reminded me of an image I saw on the internet with a naked man and a Range Rover.  But this forum is too prudish to allow me to link to that.

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

You could be an Apache Attack Helicopter, but that's not very politically correct (see: memes).

Political correctness is a stupid idea anyway.

1 minute ago, Fauve Aeon said:

This is the forum for fellow residents, not the LL suggestion box so yes, you are literally complaining to fellow residents an the Linden Lab crew will probably never even see what you have written here. Repeated complaining = whining. 

Your approach and then your ensuing attitude is a large part of the problem. You notice you only got one invitation to do anything, right? I’m betting many people came in, read your posts and just passed over even commenting? I don’t really care what you like and don’t like, you are the one with nothing to do so it’s a bit high and mighty to expect others to provide you with entertainment possibilities like a Cruise Director? You got some good suggestions in a broad range of interests and I think it’s really too bad you are too dull to even take them on for a try. 

The rest of us seem to have plenty to do or at least in this thread, we have liked to hear and share remarks on what others enjoy, not being so narrow-minded and uncreative that we have to rely on or expect something or someone to entertain us with no effort being put in. You may feel you are a discerning individual, only willing to do ‘certain things’ but to me you sound like a mopey and unhappy person honestly, believing nothing is good enough to even try, right? You’ve spent more effort complaining in this thread than many of us do having fun in SL. I’ve decorated a club and collaborated with a dj to make a party since this thread has started, and I’m on a tablet and not even inworld all that much?  What have you done in-world since this thread has started? Anything at all? 

A good company listens to its customers.  They should be reading the forums.  Even the title of each thread shows if it's something they should be taking notice of.

One?  I've been given 50 suggestions and liked about 5 of them.  I'd say I got what I wanted.

Well if you're happy to play on a kids toy (get a real computer) and are satisfied with low quality graphics and poor interaction, all that says is you're easily pleased.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sunnyrio said:

Political correctness is a stupid idea anyway.

A good company listens to its customers.  They should be reading the forums.  Even the title of each thread shows if it's something they should be taking notice of.

One?  I've been given 50 suggestions and liked about 5 of them.  I'd say I got what I wanted.

Well if you're happy to play on a kids toy (get a real computer) and are satisfied with low quality graphics and poor interaction, all that says is you're easily pleased.

My graphics and interaction are fine. So is my ability to be pleased with the work I put in for my SL things and my SL/RL things.

I have a big desktop unit and a gaming laptop besides 3 tablets, I’m fine tech-wise...it was not needed to liaison with the dj, send the notices and do the event setup. I’ll use the computer with the bells and whistles to do the final lighting touches and of course to enjoy the party. 

You: “I’m displeased. Someone should do something”

The World: 🤣🤦🏼‍♀️

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

Congratulations on missing the point entirely of most of the posts here in reply to your "I'm bored!" mentality.

I can no longer even walk in real life for the most part so I'm very thankful I can in SL among other things. It just really seems you need a large dose of perspective because if this is the biggest complaint you can find in your existence, you're pretty darn lucky. The entitlement you have speaks volumes.

Like I said, if you are so bent on viewing something as garbage, don't be surprised if all you get back from it is your own boredom staring you back in the face.

Edited by Dafadilia Wayfarer
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, sunnyrio said:

Why does it even matter? Why bring "realism" into it when the entire point is to be something out of the realm of reality? Why does it matter what people play as and why is it not "appropriate" in your eyes?

things that matter

Didn't know another player's avatar choice was a thing that mattered, but sure. 😉

News flash, graphics don't mean everything. I used to use a site similar to SL that was 2D flash based-- the entire draw is social interaction. Not to mention SL was made almost two decades ago and they couldn't conceivably make any big changes to the engine used without breaking a ton of usermade content, aka the entire point of the platform. It's like if you went posting on a forum ranting that the first Call of Duty or something even older like GoldenEye are automatically terrible because of the multi-decade-old graphics and simple objectives.

Not to mention harping on the graphics of something that's mostly hinged on other users making content is a moot point in itself.

Also lol Fallout 4 multiplayer. It's called Fallout 76 and newsflash, it's terrible. Dunno why the first thing that springs to mind are what are objectively the worst Fallout games the series has but you do you.

Edit: Actually, yknow what? Let's expand on the Fallout 4 thing that keeps getting brought up. You say things like this:

But Fallout 4 was panned by a lot of fans of the franchise for being too:
A) Restrictive
B) Linear
C) Shallow in comparison to prior entries
D) Lacking freedom of prior entries

So I'm legitimately curious why you keep comparing the two. The Fallout games have been widely known for giving the player a ton of freedom and having boatloads of unique and interesting npcs/towns/lore to uncover, yet Fallout 4 railroads you into a preset character, restricts dialog options by making the protagonist voiced and turning all dialog into "yes, yes but sarcastic, yes, no" instead of actual branching choices that would affect how conversations play out. It focuses less heavily on exploring to uncover new story beats and more exploring to collect resources and engage in combat, as the game only features 6 towns with npcs you can interact with in any degree other than in a hostile way (outside of buying DLC).

Compare this to New Vegas which has way more (Goodsprings, Novac, NCR Correctional Facility, Camp McCarran, Jacobstown, Freeside, The Strip, Primm, Cottonwood Cove, etc). Fallout 4 forces you into "building your own" settlements instead and packing them full of nameless "Settler" npcs you have 0 dialog with in comparison to the rich towns of other survivors to interact with in other games.

I just really don't see where the comparison overall lies when what Fallout 4 mostly entails is "pick up junk and craft things or upgrade guns to shoot more things".

Edited by Anuuubis
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.