The all-in-one Home Furnishings Topic!

Trinity Blakewell

It is a 50% storewide sale at Thor. It ends September 16.

I love their items, but the land impact is to cry over. But I persisted, clicked and clicked and counted land impact.

Finally I saw a lovely drawer in dark floral. I did not have much hope, but it is 2 Li! I bought it. The armoire is 3 Li, The nightstand is 3 Li. It is a bit high. If 2 are linked, the Li goes down to 5. I think this furniture would look good with the lamps from Midwest that Frigga showed in another post.

Second Life Maps | Nyn

..::THOR::.. Bedside Drawer - Dark Floral ----- 115 L

..::THOR::.. Armoire - Dark Floral ----- 113 L

..::THOR::.. Bedside Nightstand - Dark ------ 48 L

It was other textures, but I did not bother looking at them. I wanted only this.

sere_010.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Update on the Midwest lamps and Thor nighstand: I linked a lamp to the nightstand. The Li went down to 5. Then I clicked on "Physics shape features" and selected "None". The Land impact went down to 4. I had to select "none" a few times before it worked. 

4 L for a nightstand with a lamp linked to it, is not bad.

But why stop there? The lamp is very big for me that is 1.78 m. 

I rezzed a new nightstand, a new lamp, and resized the lamp a bit. I linked it to the nigtstand as before. I selected physics to "None". 

It is now 3 Li for the lamp and nightstand together.

The nightstand is the root prim, and has physics enough to stop me from walking through it. It is not phantom.

I stand here, to show the lamp is not tiny, even resized. 

sere_012.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Dekute Dekore has some really cute tropical ultra low LI furniture at SOS for a low price.... perfect for the new release of stilts. Everything at SOS is sale priced (half off or better). This isnt everything in the store, but the ones I bought:

Tyler Sofa & Chair set (1 LI each) - 250L

Coastal Sofa & Table (1 piece at 1 LI) -- 250L (several choices of animations, including PG, Adult Male-Female, Adult Female-Female, Adult Male-Male

Coastal Chairs & Table (1 piece at 1 LI) -- 150L

Tall House Plant Palm (1 LI) - 50L

Beach Towels & Umbrella (1 piece at 1 LL) -- 250L (several choices of animations including PG, Solo, Adult Male-Female, Adult Female-Female and Adult Male-Male

Several 1 LI Palm trees (good LOD) at 50L each - SHort, Straight, Curved, two Trees, 3 Trees

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SOS Izzland/214/164/24

Dekute at SOS - Tyler tropical sofa & chair k.jpg

Dekute at SOS - Coastal Sofa and Table k.jpg

Dekute at SOS - Coastal Chairs and Table k.jpg

Dekute at SOS - small house plant.jpg

Dekute at SOS - Umbrella and beach towell k.png

Dekute at SOS - Palm trees - short, curved, straight k.jpg

Dekute at SOS - Palm trees x2 and x3 k.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Update on the Midwest lamps and Thor nighstand: I linked a lamp to the nightstand. The Li went down to 5. Then I clicked on "Physics shape features" and selected "None". The Land impact went down to 4. I had to select "none" a few times before it worked. 

4 L for a nightstand with a lamp linked to it, is not bad.

But why stop there? The lamp is very big for me that is 1.78 m. 

I rezzed a new nightstand, a new lamp, and resized the lamp a bit. I linked it to the nigtstand as before. I selected physics to "None". 

The nightstand is the root prim, and has physics enough to stop me from walking through it. It is not phantom.

sere_012.jpg

Am I doing this right? I'm experimenting with my rubix cube set. Before alterations the set totals 8LI.  I tried to set Physic shape to none and the viewer tells me no:

reduceLI01.thumb.jpg.c1a0b4482b71792084735f3084a223be.jpg

I continued to link anyway and the setting seemed to revert itself to it's original physic shape setting.

reduceLI02.thumb.jpg.9d93e57e8d95cb119823c29ebc05de29.jpg

I could only reduce this experiment to 6LI after removing the shadow prims.

• Sad 1

sere_012.jpg

I tried to resize the lamp, even tried with a resizer script, but nothing happened :( How did you manage to do it? (I bought the green background lamp - maybe they have different settings.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

tried to set Physic shape to none and the viewer tells me no:

As it told you, the root prim can not be set to physics none. Only child prims in a linkset can be set that way.

If you have a single prim object, all you can possibly hope for is a reduction in physics impact if you set it from prim to convex hull. Beware, tortured classic prims, not mes, can explode in land impact massively when set to convex hull. So use with care.

Best way to reduce the impact of a complicated physics shape in a single prim mesh is to link it as child to a root prim and set the child to physics type none. 

When you click the "More Info" link in your edit floater you'll get an additional info floater that can give you a better picture of where the object/linkset collects most of its LI. There are three relevant weight factors, Download, Physics and Server. The highest number rounded up or down determines the land impact of the object. (Display is more of a render complexity measure and does not impact LI that directly.)

Ex: 12.3 Downoad, 5.4 Physics, 10.2 Server

Here we end up with a LI of 12, the highest of those three numbers.

This can help greatly in determining if playing with physics shapes would have any impact on the LI of the object.

Edit: If you select a linkset and set it all to physics none, you get both an error message like above and all child links set to physics none. However, this isn't necessarily visible at once. While repeating the process won't hurt, it does not really help either. Eventually the simulator and viewer will agree and report the LI correctly either way.

Edited by CarlaWetter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Am I doing this right? I'm experimenting with my rubix cube set. Before alterations the set totals 8LI.  I tried to set Physic shape to none and the viewer tells me no:

reduceLI01.thumb.jpg.c1a0b4482b71792084735f3084a223be.jpg

I continued to link anyway and the setting seemed to revert itself to it's original physic shape setting.

reduceLI02.thumb.jpg.9d93e57e8d95cb119823c29ebc05de29.jpg

I could only reduce this experiment to 6LI after removing the shadow prims.

After I select "none", I have to go back and change again, to "Prim" or "Convex Hull". Then the number goes down. 

Some times it "takes" first after selecting it several times.

I feel like working with magic. And sometimes the magic works, not always.

12 hours ago, Frigga Freidman said:

I tried to resize the lamp, even tried with a resizer script, but nothing happened :( How did you manage to do it? (I bought the green background lamp - maybe they have different settings.)

I selected edit before the lamp was linked to anything. I bought the plain white lamp too. I can see if I can resize it.

Is it important for you, to have a script to turn the lamp on and off? I saw you think the light is too bright. I deleted the script and edited the bulb so it gave off light I prefer.

EDIT: Am I derailing the thread? This became so many posts on saving Li. I can make a separate thread.

me bad writer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update on resizing: Both the two lamps I bought, can be edited by selecting "stretch" and then pull out or push in. 

Maybe your lamp has no modify permissions? Have you tried to see if you can tint it or change it other ways? The scripts in my 2 lamps are modify also.

sere_013.jpg

• Like 2

Since the script inside is modify, it can be edited to a more soft light, if one wish to have the realism of turning the lamp on and off.

The original light is set to plain white light, and default strength and radius 5 m. Falloff is not so important here. By changing the numbers from

PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, on, <1.000000, 1.000000, 1.000000>, 1.000000, 5.000000, 0.750000

to

PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, on, <1.000000, 1.000000, 1.000000>, 0.200000, 2.000000, 0.750000

the strength is reduced to 0.2 and the radius to 2 m. 

To take it further, one can set the light color to something more soft, like a beige tone.

The numbers for the color I picked are RGB 235,230,220:

PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, on, <235.000000, 230.000000, 220.000000>, 0.200000, 2.000000, 0.750000

Remember to "save" before you close the script.

rgb.jpg

rgbcollage.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Since the script inside is modify, it can be edited to a more soft light, if one wish to have the realism of turning the lamp on and off.

The original light is set to plain white light, and default strength and radius 5 m. Falloff is not so important here. By changing the numbers from

PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, on, <1.000000, 1.000000, 1.000000>, 1.000000, 5.000000, 0.750000

to

PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, on, <1.000000, 1.000000, 1.000000>, 0.200000, 2.000000, 0.750000

To take it further, one can set the light color to something more soft, like a beige tone.

PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, on, <235.000000, 230.000000, 220.000000>, 0.200000, 2.000000, 0.750000

rgb.jpg

rgbcollage.jpg

I often find lamps that are just too bright. Unfortunately, most of the time, the scripts inside lamps are not modify, even if the lamp itself is mod. In those cases, I simply delete the script, and drop in my own script. Once you figure out how to mod a script such as this one you've used, keep it in a handy place to replace no mod scripts in other lamps.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

to

rgb.jpg

rgbcollage.jpg

Many thanks for all this, Marianne! (I had tried resizing via Stretch first - will take a closer look.)

UPDATE: That's really odd - I'd tried re-sizing the lamp via Stretch twice, with no result when I first rezzed it. Then, as I'd mentioned, added a resizer script with no success either, so removed the script. Just went back to the same copy rezzed in my photo and there was no problem resizing it via Stretch at all! And I've adjusted the strength and color of the light - very pleased!!!

Edited by Frigga Freidman
  • Like 5

After I select "none", I have to go back and change again, to "Prim" or "Convex Hull". Then the number goes down. 

I selected edit before the lamp was linked to anything. I bought the plain white lamp too. I can see if I can resize it.

Is it important for you, to have a script to turn the lamp on and off? I saw you think the light is too bright. I deleted the script and edited the bulb so it gave off light I prefer.

EDIT: Am I derailing the thread? This became so many posts on saving Li. I can make a separate thread.

I think it's useful to have the discussion on modifying these items here but it would also be very useful to have a separate go-to thread on the topic of basic modifications, for the benefit of those who are new to the idea. (I could add some basic pointers on tinting items that I've posted previously here, but don't have the time right now to start things off - trying to set up a new laptop - yay!)

• Like 5

It was said this shouldn't be a weekend sales thread only. So I toss in some things from North Oak. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ashur/204/83/1002

This is not as much saving money, as low Li.

The bar chairs are 1 Li each. I have only one type island bar chair that's 1 Li from before, and that's from a previous gacha.

But these are copy and modify. 175 L. Buy with different backs.

The pendant lamp, 2 Li. Not bad, it is probably possible to find 1 Li lamps. 175 L for it, buy different colors.

The kitchen... modules are 2 Li, the island and fridge run too high. 5 and 10 Li. So I didn't buy it. Maybe I could empty the fridge and save Li. I am not taking the risk.

The coat hanger, only 1 Li, great buy since it is colorchange and texture change. Change wood, hoodie and bag. 175 L.

The chairs, if you were looking for a chair with a blanket, it is 4 Li and the one without blanket 2 Li. Second Life Marketplace - [North Oak] + Stanley Leather Chair (ash)

I could not see them in the store.

And what I had to buy because it is so pretty, the blue china set. They are also Linden Home friendly, since many parts can be linked to 1 Li. But not so cheap. I said I deserved it. ;)

545 L.

North Oak is not a super low Li store, inspect before you buy. I found more 1 Li items there, but this is enough to post for now.

sere_016.jpg

oakcollage.jpg

sere_021.jpg

• Like 8

KAZZA has a few bargains again : this Couch and the plantpots next to it - each 60L$ - and if you put "60" into the area- search you'll find a few leftovers from other weekends.

image.thumb.png.327b7e842260702ae845ae1c96360a6f.png

The couch includes PG and adult version for the 60 L$ and has only 8 LI - the palmpot has 2 LI the teapot (not a pot of tea but a teaplant - rather bushy) has 6 LI

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Three other things I found for 60 L$ are ...

image.thumb.png.8baf52bfb2522d18a783dd46f7034451.png

the VialleDolceChair (PG and adult) LI2 - the VialleDolceWallLamp LI 2 - and the NuitdeNoel - sidetable LI 1 (without deco) that comes in the package with NuitdeNoel - christmas tree LI 8 and NuitdeNoel - christmas gift LI 1 and  NuitdeNoel - christmas stars (lamp) LI 2 .... quite a bargain I think!

I actually only spent 360 L$ for the whole bunch you see, the couch, two plantpots, the chair, lamp, table and all the XMas stuff. Most of it rather low LI too - except the Christmas tree.

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 4

The coat hanger, only 1 Li, great buy since it is colorchange and texture change. Change wood, hoodie and bag. 175 L.

oakcollage.jpg

I definitely second what Marianne says about the coat hanger - it's replaced my previous favorite from Dust Bunny (branch coat tree at 4 LI) in my homes. (Still, the Dust Bunny one is great if you want a more organic shape for, say, a Log or Fantasy home - you can tint the gold one brown to make it look more like wood: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/dust-bunny-branch-coat-rack-gold-boxed/18190754)

Edited by Frigga Freidman
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I personally don't care if the thread derails a little bit when you have such good info to share.  But if you think it would be better in a thread of it's own, I don't mind that either. I learn so much from you!

• Like 3