ARGH ! Going somewhat crazy with the new avis

Horus Salubrius

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You have probably been going over & over this already, indeed I have read a few threads.  I tried today with some demos & it seems I have no idea how this stuff works now compared to a decade ago (not surprising I suppose).  I couldn't get anything to work properly & spent an age trying to get back to my original avatar (I still haven't managed that, but what I have will do for now).  I would really like to take advantage of the new avatars & stop looking like a pixel with paddle feet but I have no idea how and/or where to begin.   The learning curve is doing my head in tbh !  Are there folks out there that will help a guy out for a fee ?   Is there a more appropriate place to look for such a service ?  ..... and don't get me started on the 8.627 items in 650 folders in my inventory - I 'reckon I should burn the lot & start over !!  

If there is one constant in SL is change.. just like in RL I suppose! The posts above gave you some good advice. Best thing to do is take it slow, demo everything first and don't assume that expensive means best. I'd suggest joining some shopping event groups as you can get some good info on sales, etc. Flickr is a good way to find some good looks, follow those you like. Good luck! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Horus Salubrius said:

You have probably been going over & over this already, indeed I have read a few threads.  I tried today with some demos & it seems I have no idea how this stuff works now compared to a decade ago (not surprising I suppose).  I couldn't get anything to work properly & spent an age trying to get back to my original avatar (I still haven't managed that, but what I have will do for now).  I would really like to take advantage of the new avatars & stop looking like a pixel with paddle feet but I have no idea how and/or where to begin.   The learning curve is doing my head in tbh !  Are there folks out there that will help a guy out for a fee ?   Is there a more appropriate place to look for such a service ?  ..... and don't get me started on the 8.627 items in 650 folders in my inventory - I 'reckon I should burn the lot & start over !!  

I can help you. Send me an IM inworld or on here. We can figure out when to meet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Horus Salubrius said:

ha !  how do y'all organise that ??

I don't. It is just luck if I remember some of the name and can search for it in the inventory. 82 358 items now, and as late as 2 months ago I deleted at least 6000 items. If I did not purge thousands evey year, I am sure I would have had a half million now.

I go to sales, I buy a lot of cheap stuff on the Marketplace, I pick up every gift at events (Even if I don't open them all.) And demos. I don't always remember to delete demos after I tried them. Or I want to think about it, and the demos are forgotten. Plus unpacker scripts, landmarks, thank-you notes...

I am a slob.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If I knew then what I know now, I would have paid more attention to organizing my inventory from the get go instead of letting it get out of hand . I am currently hovering at around 67k , but it was much higher a few weeks ago before I savagely started deleting things. I made sure to make a folder of old things that I could not part with , but I kept that list small. Apparently, It is very easy for me to get sentimental over inanimate objects, but organization is imperative to maintaining my anxiety levels and sanity.

As to Horus's questions.  Updating an avatar can be very overwhelming process if you try to do it all at once, and not to mention expensive! I recommend taking a good look at yourself  and deciding your priorities. Pick a specific thing you'd like to update first. Most people chose a body initially to get rid of aforementioned "paddle feet" and to take advantage of all the rigged clothing. Whats important to you? Are you going for a specific themed look? Check out SL forum picture threads or the huge SL Flickr community for ideas if the form of your avatar has not solidified yet.  Look at Skell's blog where he has many in depth guides on creating a new avatar - http://www.virtualbloke.com .  If there are specific aspects of setting up an avatar that are causing you trouble, make sure to give us some pictures of the wonky bits and your worn folder so that we get full picture of where you are at with customization.  Keep in mind that this particular sub-forum is specifically for asking questions about Avatar appearance  if you are wanting to hire someone to help makeover your avatar for a fee, post something in the Wanted section of the forum.

All that said, I wish you the best of luck. We'll be here when you have more specific questions for us!

• Like 1

If you're still having problems, here are a list of places that have help volunteers. They can assist you with help. They're very friendly. You can also feel free to IM me, I will be online tonight probably around 6:30pm EST.

https://secondlife.com/destination/1691

https://secondlife.com/destination/helping-haven-2

https://secondlife.com/destination/firestorm-support-region

https://secondlife.com/destination/caledon

Edited by ClariceRose
  • Like 2

Thank you all muchly - this has been very helpful.  I have read Skell's blog this afternoon & have gotten a little further along, so feeling somewhat less daunted & less terrified of turning into a headless demo with no way back.  

I still may take some of you up on your kind offers of assistance - so far all I've managed is trying on some body demos.

3 hours ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

As to Horus's questions.  Updating an avatar can be very overwhelming process if you try to do it all at once, and not to mention expensive! I recommend taking a good look at yourself  and deciding your priorities. Pick a specific thing you'd like to update first.

Stellar advice.   I have to rein myself in from feeling like it all has to be done at once.  Luckily I have a hefty L$ balance still on my account from my old life as a gaming host.

So I have just hit a wall this evening - went out & about, grabbed a bunch of demos & heads, etc. & have ended up in a mess.   Lord knows what it is gonna look like when I log in tomorrow.   I have rented myself a wee  place so I don't rezz somewhere public, like waking up drunk on a park bench with my ken  doll (non) bits out .....   

• Haha 2

Mess. Yes.

A few days ago I was straightening out a 1 day old user who'd lost her shoulders due to a mismatched alpha layer and clothes. Once that was straightened out and she looked presentable, I told her how to save that by name, so she'd always have a safe outfit to go back to. Then I sent her off to the Free Dove to play with clothing. The clothing intros at SL entry, Firestorm and Oxbridge need to be clearer that you should save your first good outfit so you can safely go back to it.

(I've been looking at all those clothing intros. They're mostly classic avatars, and then at the end, "oh, there's this mesh thing too". All those need a refresh.)

Edited by animats
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Horus Salubrius said:

I have rented myself a wee  place so I don't rezz somewhere public, like waking up drunk on a park bench with my ken  doll (non) bits out .....

You've got a great sense of humour, so that's half the battle when it comes to this stuff. Add in a large pinch of patience and maybe a stiff drink or two and you'll be golden ;) Keep coming back to this thread if you need any more help. I'll make a point to keep an eye on it.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2020 at 1:20 PM, Horus Salubrius said:

I was there too where you are...I made it with the help of the people here.  I went through two heads that were nearly unuseable.  But, now have a head I just love.

One thing to remember is the heads are partially modify not full modify like our Classic avatar is.  So, look at some pre-made shapes for any head you might like.  Buying a head with a large amount of shapes available could mean it's a head that will give a wide variety of looks.

As far as hot bods for men though, the Legacy Athletic swimmer is SL's man to me.  He is gorgeous but a hunk of triangles which can be heavy depending on what type of machinery you will be using.  

Also you will only have one shape but two parts - a body and a head, so that's a bit confusing but let's say you like a body shape, well then you just write down your face shape numbers and shape the head to the body shape you like.  IOW, you will need to combine two shapes into one.  

It's a lot to figure out.  One step at a time.  You may make some mistakes or you may have beginner's luck.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

I was there too where you are...I made it with the help of the people here.  I went through two heads that were nearly unuseable.  But, now have a head I just love.

One thing to remember is the heads are partially modify not full modify like our Classic avatar is.  So, look at some pre-made shapes for any head you might like.  Buying a head with a large amount of shapes available could mean it's a head that will give a wide variety of looks.

This. I went through three heads from three very popular brands. Couldn't seem to get them to the point I was satisfied/they had no good shapes/their huds were lacking. Then I found my head and I've never been happier.

Whatever you do, OP: DEMO DEMO DEMO and search around for shapes too. Like Fairre said, it indicates it can give you a variety of looks and therefore more mileage in the long run. 

• Like 1

I have been demo'ing some bodies & this morning managed to get some heads on, but they are bright red.  Is that a demo thing & if so how can you get any idea what it's gonna look like, & if not where am I going wrong ?   And the HUD .. appliers, etc ... yikes !!  I am def gonna IM some folks now.   😡😮😕

20 hours ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

Most people chose a body initially to get rid of aforementioned "paddle feet" and to take advantage of all the rigged clothing.

So I thought I would do this & keep my head & hair, etc. but I can't seem to get that to work either, ie. have a new body but still have the skin with the "old" face/head - does that even work ?  lol - and now I have somehow managed to change my shape so that my original skin doesn't "fit".  

A mess indeed !

38 minutes ago, Horus Salubrius said:

I have been demo'ing some bodies & this morning managed to get some heads on, but they are bright red.  Is that a demo thing & if so how can you get any idea what it's gonna look like, & if not where am I going wrong ?   And the HUD .. appliers, etc ... yikes !!  I am def gonna IM some folks now.   😡😮😕

The red indicates it's BOM ready and you can now apply the skin.  I have been super busy and will be until at least Christmas, so I'm giving you the short answer.  Other's can definitely help you with your BOM questions.  

18 minutes ago, Horus Salubrius said:

So I thought I would do this & keep my head & hair, etc. but I can't seem to get that to work either, ie. have a new body but still have the skin with the "old" face/head - does that even work ?  lol - and now I have somehow managed to change my shape so that my original skin doesn't "fit".  

A mess indeed !

When I was switching to mesh avatar, I choose a body first so I could learn.  I was a mesh body and a Classic avatar head for about 6 months.  Yes, it works, it's called a hybrid.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horus Salubrius said:

Need a hug?

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.