I think I like the forum update, but ....

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There's always a but.  First something I like that I think is new:  I like the fading out of the pic(s) in a post [or maybe just the rest of a long post], with 1 click to see the rest.

But does anyone know how to shrink the right-hand panel, which is topped by Announcements?  I know there used to be a panel there, but it seems bigger now to me.   Ideally, I'd like for it to go away completely until I ask it to return.  Particularly when I enter a thread and that panel fills up with all this popularity-based thread content, YIKES!

There seems to be more WHITE WHITE WHITE space in this version, is there?  I tried the dark theme.  It left me wishing there was something between the two, a blue or light gray theme.

What do you like/not like about this revision?  Hoping to learn about things I didn't notice.

• Like 3

I hate all the WHITE - yes there is tons more of it now and it really seems much brighter - and I also don't really like the dark theme.  Using Dark Reader is actually worse as that seems to render some parts as just a white box.

I'm still getting used to the Edit being within the 3 dots in the upper right corner of the post.   For anyone reading on an average width screen, I don't think those 3 dots are going to jump out at folks and thus we'll possibly have even more people than before not knowing how to Edit their posts.

I think that fading out thingy applies to all Quoted posts of more than a few lines, as well as quoted pictures.

I honestly barely notice the new crap along the right side of the threads - but then I always use the forums via a PC and large monitor, so the right side stuff is still pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things.

I did see one new thing that I liked -- when a bit of time had passed between two posts, there is a small note telling you:

image.png.703275f1eae8153712f0945b502bb831.png

And yes, as Keiko mentioned, I seem to be taking a lot more page load errors than before.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

• The right side panel in some threads is just an annoyance. It should go away, there is really no need for that junk in any thread. 😠
• I wish there was light grey theme. The off white theme is too white, the black theme is too black.

Totally agree about the right side panel - very irritating especially with reducing the size of photos so much.

Other than that I like the new look and the white theme but appreciate this is an issue for some.

Edited by Emma Krokus
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

I've just noticed one new addition to the forum: when you use the "insert image from URL" option the forum will refuse to accept it if the link begins with http instead of https:

c54dc1e2316e097173d064c13f6ad11e.png

Interesting - I've never even tried that option.  I just paste the URL right into the post, wherever I want the picture to be.  I've not had any issues, but I've also not paid close attention to the actual URLs lately.

On 9/18/2020 at 1:19 PM, Nika Talaj said:

There's always a but.  First something I like that I think is new:  I like the fading out of the pic(s) in a post [or maybe just the rest of a long post], with 1 click to see the rest.

But does anyone know how to shrink the right-hand panel, which is topped by Announcements?  I know there used to be a panel there, but it seems bigger now to me.   Ideally, I'd like for it to go away completely until I ask it to return.  Particularly when I enter a thread and that panel fills up with all this popularity-based thread content, YIKES!

There seems to be more WHITE WHITE WHITE space in this version, is there?  I tried the dark theme.  It left me wishing there was something between the two, a blue or light gray theme.

What do you like/not like about this revision?  Hoping to learn about things I didn't notice.

I am guessing that different folks see different webpage layouts (and then there is the phone folks which most likely the new changed embrace more).

Here is what "I" see.   No sidebar at all.  Dark taupe background and beige letters :D.   

I use the BRAVE viewer with some pretty tight blocking settings. I also use DARK READER to change the background of webpages (works well on most of SL pages -- not so much on some others but in GENERAL really good (for me anyway).  Dark Reader works on Chrome based browsers.  You can make the background whatever shade you want (like beige or dark brown --  I think they are all neutral colors but set it up long ago. 

image.thumb.png.99a15c4eafdd657a56151dec6441bf00.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Here is what "I" see.   No sidebar at all. 

If you pull up one of the super popular picture threads, like https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/405992-how-does-your-avatar-look-today/?do=findComment&comment=2188196    -- do you see the sidebar stuff?  I only see that stuff on some threads - the ones with lots & lots of posts.

image.thumb.png.432a518fd3eb0dc2355f2e75d45fc2ba.png  

• Like 1

I guess I haven't been looking  at those really popular threads lately :D.

I DO see that sidebar if I have my screen set fairly wide (I have a 2560 monitor so never use fullscreen for browsing).    

BUT I can get rid of that simply by making my screen more narrow. So that is certainly an option for the OP.

I don't love the ... for the edit function. I can't read the text on that at all (or really barely if I move VERY close to the screen). Yellow on white or whatever for me. 

I don't love all that stuff. I just want to look at the photos. And honestly if I wanted to look at stats "I" would be more interested in the person with the most likes LOL --- but then we would have the "fake favs" going on (or maybe going on more, I have no idea) like on Flickr. So maybe this is better.  But no, not a fan.    

image.thumb.png.47f19ae1506aa7c65f7d355edfb7d3b7.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info

11 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

I've just noticed one new addition to the forum: when you use the "insert image from URL" option the forum will refuse to accept it if the link begins with http instead of https:

c54dc1e2316e097173d064c13f6ad11e.png

Since the update, I also see this msg when I paste a SLURL that I got from clicking 'copy SLURL' on the inworld map.  It lets the pasted link, stand, tho!  So in that case, it's just an irritant. 

I also get this msg when I copy/paste links from the marketplace.  AND, now it does not go ahead and display the listing, it just pastes the link and you have to actually GO to the listing to see it.

I suppose it's asking too much to have someone who USES the forums try out a beta before they deploy it?  Not accepting links from other portions of your own product just makes you look stupid, IMHO.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.