What approximately can you earn as a DJ in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

nah not really .. there are just a few DJ's, most are song-changers .. no clue about pitch, tone, songstructure or bpm
Tips depending on your entertainment skills, not DJ.

Depends on what type of music is playing. BPM comes into play for like EDM and stuff.  Classic Rock could be one or 2 songs from the same group or maybe a theme, like songs with the word "Fall" in them or using a certain instrument like a sax.

• Like 2

Back when I started DJing the person showing me the ropes told me "Play what you love.  That way if nobody shows up at least you enjoyed the music"  I never did it for the money.  Sure it was nice to get a little extra shopping money or cover my stream costs but what I enjoyed most was the IMs from people telling me they had enjoyed themselves.  I used to save these comments to notecard because they meant more to me than L$.   When you look at your outgoings; stream costs, buying music, wear and tear on your machine, electricity, even your time preparing a set, etc you are never going to make an income.  Do it because you love it and want to entertain people not for the money. 

• Like 6

Heathcliff, may I refer you to an important post I made on this very subject (in fact, add more now for inflation).

Those who expect slave labour should have their clubs closed down! IGNORE the bad advice the others have given you...if a club won't pay you for your time, REPORT THEM.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, clivesteel said:

Heathcliff, may I refer you to an important post I made on this very subject (in fact, add more now for inflation).

Those who expect slave labour should have their clubs closed down! IGNORE the bad advice the others have given you...if a club won't pay you for your time, REPORT THEM.

Ok Mr "I'M GOING TO CHANGE THE SL LANDSCAPE!" let me break it down to you -

MOST of us that run clubs, estates, businesses of any kind do it for fun or to make a little extra money. Normally never the latter almost always the former. Do you want to know what would happen if we were forced to pay livable wages based on our state/country? Almost ALL businesses in SL would shut down or the price for product will go skyrocketing up. What you proposed in 2015, is the same issue in 2020. Managers, owners etc aren't making livable wages, so how would we be able to give our staff livable wages?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, clivesteel said:

This isn't 2005 or 2015. Or even 1095.

I thought the last of the Crusaders died out nearly a thousand years ago. Apparently not. Perhaps you should consider joining the Knights of Ni.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

This isn't 2005 or 2015. Or even 1095.

I thought the last of the Crusaders died out nearly a thousand years ago. Apparently not. Perhaps you should consider joining the Knights of Ni.

Then he might earn....A SHRUBBERY!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, clivesteel said:

I agree, if they use the word "hiring" or "job" this involves $L for providing service or labor, LOGIC.

When they don't pay it's not a job but volunteering under false conditions or flat-out said they live in a selfish bubble so they can make money.

When people say: "Ahh this is SL and you don't do it for the money"

Right, first of all, don't think or talk for me. One comes for fun, but most for a second life. Guess what, that describes the whole definition of "Second Life".

• Haha 2

Oh for ...

As someone who used to DJ in SL - this is Second Life. if you're expecting a wage, move on.

Second Life DJing is not at all the same as doing so in Real Life, period. In Real Life, you have equipment costs, Licence costs (for your music) and various other costs that you must be reimbursed for. In Real Life, DJing is an actual job.

Ignore anyone who tries to tell you otherwise. If you firmly believe otherwise yourself ... Well there's no helping you whatsoever.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

As someone who used to DJ in SL - this is Second Life. if you're expecting a wage, move on.

Wrong, Linden Lab developed an entire economy and there is a section in this forum special for JOBS and there's a special section for jobs by means of paid advertisement.

(if they use the word "hiring" or "job" this involves $L for providing service or labor, LOGIC.)

5 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Second Life DJing is not at all the same as doing so in Real Life, period. In Real Life, you have equipment costs, Licence costs (for your music) and various other costs that you must be reimbursed for. In Real Life, DJing is an actual job.

First of all, you need the necessary songs, hardware / software. The basic elements as a DJ are needed. The work is exactly the same. What a nonsense.

Edited by Heathcliff Harbrough
  • Haha 2

Most of the DJs in SL have never had any formal training (attended broadcasting school) and don't have any idea of what a RL DJ actually does much less translate that into SL. There is only one I know of that has and from what he has told me, there are maybe a handful of others. 

There was a time in SL when DJs could expect a wage paid in Ls. It wasn't much but it was a steady income for the ones who knew what they were doing. Those days are long gone. You can either deal with it or move on. DJs don't get paid any more in SL unless they are damn good and those sets are rare. Full stop.

• Like 2

That's nice - doesn't matter and doesn't change a single thing. What I said, stands. You are not required to like it, your agreement is irrelevant.

Now to the rest: A "job" does not automatically equate out to paid labor - that is a simple fact. A job is a task undertaken, often at an agreed upon price - said 'price' can be .... nothing/tips only.

Welcome to reality - it doesn't care what you think.

Edited by Solar Legion
Capitalization
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

And since it didn't sink in the first time:

• A Second Life DJ can have (and often has) no applicable costs whatsoever to do their 'job'
  • An Internet DJ often does have applicable costs
  • A Real Life DJ does certainly have costs they must be compensated for at minimum

So ... No, there is no comparison - period.

• Haha 1

DJs are a commodity.

Everyone and their great-aunts are DeeJaahys in SL.

Demand < Supply = Meh. 

Either figure out a way to become a good DJ, that people think are worth tossing L$ at, or . . . Accept that Spotify can do everything most 'DJs' do, with the simple click of a button. I.e. the 'repeat' button. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

That's nice - doesn't matter and doesn't change a single thing. What I said, stands. You are not required to like it, your agreement is irrelevant.

Now to the rest: A "job" does not automatically equate out to paid labor - that is a simple fact. A job is a task undertaken, often at an agreed upon price - said 'price' can be .... nothing/tips only.

Welcome to reality - it doesn't care what you think.

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

And since it didn't sink in the first time:

• A Second Life DJ can have (and often has) no applicable costs whatsoever to do their 'job'
  • An Internet DJ often does have applicable costs
  • A Real Life DJ does certainly have costs they must be compensated for at minimum

So ... No, there is no comparison - period.

50 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Pardon the multiple posts in a row but i did just now realize something: The OP is conflating freelance SL DJs and club SL DJs.

One does get paid - freelancers. At least the last time I bothered with it anyway.

SL Clubs however .... Nope!

You contradict yourself.

Because the definition of job is a paid position or regular employment. The definition of employment is the state of having paid work and according to you a DJ is not a job, that's what it comes down to. WRONG.

Payments are made in Second Life in $L or Linden Dollars.

"Unless" otherwise specified. Open the Job forum, and few are transparent about it.

Now, your statements about the DJ. I only read excuses but you forget one thing. No matter how the DJ performs his "work", it remains a "job" and here we go again "the definition of job is a paid position or regular employment. The definition of employment is the state of having paid work"

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.